Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2013 BBQ list

170,033 Views | 954 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CDub06
Husky Boy Jr.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been to Schmidt probably a half dozen times now. Brisket has ranged from WOW to pretty good. At times I have gotten deep smoke ring with perfectly rendered fat. Other offerings have had chewy fat and the burnt ends were mushy. I love the sausage. I order ribs once and they were a B-. They needed more time on the smoker.

I initially raved about this place as the fatty brisket my first visit was perfectly done. Follow ups have been mixed.

Schmidt is still the best BBQ offering in the Bee Caves/Lakeway area (maybe the only one left now - can we get something good in the old Busters location please?).
BurnetAggie99
Opie's is in Spicewood not far from Bee Caves and well worth eating at.
Slicer97
AG
quote:
Opie's is in Spicewood not far from Bee Caves and well worth eating at.

Was impressed when we went back in Sept. Wish we had a reason to pass through Spicewood more often now.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
When I specified bee cave/lakeway I had opies in mind. I love that place - been there many times. The tits
Atty_Ag
I stopped at the drive-through for "It's All Good" on Highway 71 between Bee Cave and just before the turn on 2322 to go to Pace Bend Park. I got a sliced beef sandwich. Brisket was superbly tender, but not heavy on smoke. Still absolutely delicious. I devoured it in the car.
sawemoffshort85
Rafter J - Iowa Park

Copied from my Yelp review:

Ok, I'll admit that my hopes were high for this place. Problem was, almost all my hopes were dashed. Wife and I were in Wichita Falls for a convention/work and decided it might be worth the short drive on a Friday night to check out this highly rated place. My antennas went up when I saw the big, stainless steel "gasser" on the back porch of the place. Those machines are great for pumping out mass quantities, but rather dubious when it comes to quality. The tables were about half filled around 7:00 on a Friday, so I felt like we would get the best from this place.

To start, we order the "beer battered onion rings" as an appetizer. For around $5 we got about 12 store-bought onion rings like the ones available at Sam's. I still held out hope for the meal. Wife ordered a baked potato with chopped beef and other toppings. I ordered a 2-meat plat - sliced brisket, sausage, baked potato salad and cole slaw. Wife's potato was to her liking, although she noted the meat didn't have much flavor.

On to my plate...
First, the baked potato salad was pretty good. Nice texture with the sliced rather than mashed or chopped potatoe. The cole slaw was good as well. The sausage was a big disappointment. It was obviouly Eckrich or similar. It had good flavor but absolutely no smoke flavor and no "snap" to the casing. I'm not sure if it ever saw a real flame or got near burning wood. Now, for the brisket. At first look, it appeared to be fine: thin, neat slices with a dark, almost maroon smoke ring, in generous portions. However, the texture missed the mark entirely. When trying to use my fork, it tended to break into tiny cubes. It had almost a chalky or eraser like texture and very little smoke flavor. My guess is that it had been cooked and held at temperature for a considerable amount of time - maybe even in a steamer. Sauce was required with this brisket and sadly, it disappointed as well. The flavor lead me to believe that it was an off-the-shelf variety - and not a very high quality one at that.

I was bitterly disappointed. I'm not sure what the other Yelp reviewers had during their visits, but it couldn't have been the same. I thought for sure that a Friday night would have been the best. Maybe not.
CDub06
AG
Thanks for the bump. Haven't added any in a few weeks.

Three Recents:
Micklethwait Craft Meats - Austin, TX
Micklethwait Craft Meats is another BBQ jewel in Austin. Excellent meats, homemade bread and lovingly crafted sides. Micklethwait has an excellent assortment of craft sausage. It is all very good but the lamb is the highlight of the bunch. The ribs were also great, tasty with perfect amount of tug. Brisket was a bit off and a little too tough. Ribs and sausage make up for it. Grade: A--

Lambert's Downtown Barbeque - Austin, TX
Lambert's Downtown BBQ in Austin is one of those "fancy BBQ joints" with emphasis on atmosphere. But they absolutely hit the mark with the meat. The brisket is excellent, perfectly rendered fat drips away from the meat. The ribs are tasty and feature a non-traditional rub which results in a unique and interesting flavor. The stuffed pork loin (with chorizo) was a nice sample as well. Wonderful venue and excellent menu. Premium prices. Well worth a night out. It doesn't matter how fancy the BBQ is, I'll still eat with my fingers. Grade: A-

Corkscrew BBQ - The Woodlands, TX
This is my local spot and one that I tried to sell to anyone who would listen. The Top 50 nod has brought longer lines but visits are well worth it because of the high quality offerings. The brisket and ribs are both excellent with great smoke and flavor. However, they carry an interesting companion on my plate. Despite this being good Texas BBQ, the Pulled Pork deserves a nod. The pork is some of the best I've tried anywhere with a bit of sweet Asian flavor. Killen's rules South Houston, Virgie's has the city, but once you hit Spring, you're in Corkscrew territory. Grade: A-
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
I have got to get myself over to Micklethwait. Thanks for the reviews and pics.
mslags97
AG
Man, those three above look incredible. I am needing a BBQ fix!
cc10106
I gotta get back to Tyler soon just to try that Mother Clucker from Stanley's. Last time i ate there, i was a little underwhelmed. It was the middle of the day though, and i had my hopes up a little high. I usually just get some Bob's (also a top 50 spot) when home in Henderson instead of making the trip to Tyler. That sandwich though reminds me of the ones they make at Chicken Scratch in Dallas, which i highly recommend btw.

DRE06
AG
Man oh man. I hesitate to post this picture because it just doesn't accurately represent what it looked like or tasted like in person. In the picture the brisket looks dry and overcooked....but that certainly wasn't the case.

We stopped at Black's BBQ in Lockart on the way back from San Antonio today. The verdict was that the brisket was the best my wife and I have ever had. Just perfectly rendered fat and excellent bark. The fat on the brisket would just melt in your mouth. None of that awful chewy fat that you get with some brisket.

Sides were decent, not great. But there were lots of options. We had the potato salad (standard mustard-based PS you can find almost anywhere), mac n cheese (good enough & definitely hit the spot), and banana pudding (solid). We also has the jalapeno cheese sausage (they had like 4 different types of sausage), baby back ribs, and the carver gave us sample of the beef rib (very good). We weren't very pleased with the baby back ribs, but the beef rib sample was excellent.

But the star of the show was clearly the brisket, which is the most important to us. Just excellent brisket.

After stopping at Smitty's in Lockart last time, we decided we definitely like Blacks better. Our recommendation would be to order the brisket and a beef rib.

[This message has been edited by DRE06 (edited 1/19/2014 11:29p).]

[This message has been edited by DRE06 (edited 1/20/2014 12:28p).]
el aggie
AG
Wife and I went to Stiles Switch on Saturday. I understand that the quality can vary depending on when you come in (we got there around 1pm, the tail end of the lunch rush), but the meat was very average. Brisket and spare ribs were both over done. The brisket fell apart but with the tendency of a slow-cooked pot roast instead of a well cooked brisket. The spare ribs were just tough. Sides were okay, the pinto beans had a good flavor to them.

Disappointing and we've got a lot of other places to try before we give this one a second chance.
BurnetAggie99
BBQ on the Brazos - Brisket was on the money with nice flavor good bark and super tender. The ribs are St. Louis cut ribs and they were cook great. They had a nice sweet with heat flavor. Turkey was nice and moist and had good smoke flavor. Didn't get a chance to try the sausage. Banana pudding was also on target. This place will push Pecan Lodge for the best BBQ in the Dallas Ft. Worth area
CDub06
AG
I'm glad someone else found BBQ on the Brazos. That place is a jewel.
FincAg
AG
Remember when a half pound of brisket with sides and a tea was $8.99 and lunch was a $5 special?

Sucks BBQ has become such a frou-frou sort of thing that requires standing hours in line line, sky rocketing prices and snobby connoisseurs (not those on this thread but folks I casually ask about their favorite bbq joints).
mslags97
AG
Agreed FincAg. I paid nearly $30 for the Granary in SA. Now, although it was tremendous; some of the best I have had, I remember the day when it would have cost $8.

Still, the popularity has created these types of forum discussions, and because of that I have learned of and tried many different places I would not have prior to this.
CDub06
AG
At places like the Granary, you're paying for more than just the BBQ though. There are still some quality places out there that serve BBQ cheap and quick. Though, they probably aren't in the upper echelon.
mslags97
AG
True CDub. Pecan Lodge was approximately the same, and I would not trade what I had at the Granary or Pecan Lodge for anything. Great stuff.

BurnetAggie99
Kerlin BBQ in Austin. Brisket, Ribs, Sausage and Turkey are top notch. This place is a hole in the wall spot but makes great BBQ. Stumbled in this spot from a former coworker who said go check it out.

Also tried Live Oak BBQ & Beer. Its a solid spot the brisket was moist and good smoke. Sausage was good. Sides are good.

The 3rd underated BBQ spot is Brown's BBQ. Had the moist brisket and ribs. They were out of sausage. You get a German style potato salad and German cabbage. The ribs had great flavor and perfectly cooked. Brisket was very moist with great flavor. Nice bark on the brisket. I'm German so big fan of those sides. Brown's deserves to be in the Top 50 in the State.
Tree Hugger
AG
I went to Tyler's in Amarillo last week. Brisket and black pepper sausage were solid, beans were awesome and cole slaw (which I typically don't like) was pretty good. They had a steady flow going in and out the door the entire time with we were there.

[This message has been edited by Tree Hugger (edited 2/3/2014 8:48a).]
CDub06
AG
Had a BBQ Trip on Saturday down 77. Two Cities, Three Stops.

10:30AM - Prause Smokehouse - La Grange, TX:
I'm told they serve leftovers in the morning before pulling out new product so not to arrive before 10AM. We entered through the pit room in the back and ordered at the back counter. We were served some beautiful brisket with well rendered fat and good smoke. The housemade sausage was good, but nothing special. The pork is a notable entry on the menu and worth a taste. No ribs here. Front counter still acts as meat market. Plenty of history in this building. Altogether solid BBQ Stop.
Grade: B+

11:00AM - Back Porch BBQ - La Grange, TX:
This is a full-service sit-down BBQ Joint. Nice little building with excellent and friendly service. As far as the meat is concerned, Back Porch BBQ does everything just average (except for the disappointing storebought sausage). Nothing notable as far as the meat is concerned but I will mark the pulled pork as the high point. The ribs had a slightly sweet glaze. Brisket had little smoke or flavor to speak of. Not bad, just not notable. The sides were actually better than the meat, a warm potato salad was almost like a baked potato casserole and the beans were good as well.
Grade: C

12:00PM - City Market - Schulenburg, TX:
It is important to know that City Market only pulls Fresh BBQ off of the pits on Saturdays. The rest of the week, they are reheating what they made on the weekend therefore DO NOT come any other day of the week. Fortunately I planned this trip for a Saturday but unfortunately by noon, they had run out of the allotment of pork ribs for the day. The pork ribs look excellent so I was a bit disappointed. However the housemade 50/50 pork/beef sausage did not disappoint, great garlic flavor and the perfect amount of snap made this an excellent sausage. The brisket was also good. The meat had a nice bark with simple salt/pepper rub and just enough tug to provide an enjoyable meal. Order in the pit room on Saturdays. The rest of the operation runs as a meat market.
Grade: B-

EDIT: Stupid Filter Didn't Like One Of My Picture URLs

[This message has been edited by CDub06 (edited 2/5/2014 11:29a).]
mslags97
AG
CDub, thank you for your posts and pics. I enjoy your reviews and advice on spots to try in the future.
rather be fishing
AG
Miller's in Belton:

Their brisket is mediocre.

Their pork ribs are fantastic. That's what you need to put your emphasis on if you go there.

Dirk's deer processing operation also is the best for the price in Bell Co. (IMO), so keep that in mind.
The Pilot
AG
Had Blacks in Lockhart last wk. Amazing. Definitely up there with Pecan Lodge for me.
Disarmer
AG
Anyone in the Mexia/Groesbeck area owes it to themselves to make a stop at Kirby's.
SpicewoodAg
AG
CDub06 - enjoy these posts. You gotta have an eating partner with you - that's a ton of food to get through in a few hours.
ursusguy
AG
Crown's in Grand Prairie. You don't have to worry about froofru prices. Their fried catfish is pretty hard to beat too.
BMX Bandit
How is zimmerhanzel?
CDub06
AG
Zimmerhanzel's was very good on my one visit. I hit them as a part of my recent Luling/Lockhart trip. People say they sellout early but that doesn't matter to me as I arrived shortly after their 8:30 opening. It's an interesting place and I'll admit I was hesitant when I saw young girls cutting meat, but they knew what they were doing with that knife. The ribs were great, perfectly smoked. The all beef sausage provided a great companion to the ribs. My only complaint was that the brisket, though tasty, was a bit tough.
Grade: B++
byfLuger41
beagle2009
AG
Cross-posted from the Metroplex board...

The wife and I made it to dinner last night at the new Lockhart Smokehouse in Plano, and it definitely lived up to the hype. We arrived about 5:30pm and waited a solid hour before finally ordering - totally worth the wait.

The shoulder clod was off the charts...better than the brisket IMO. The Kreuz jalapeno sausage was amazing as well. Brisket was phenomenal, but again, the shoulder clod stole the show. For sides, we had the smoked baked beans, blue cheese slaw and jalapeno mac and cheese. Only complaint was the jalapeno mac and cheese was SPICY. Usually the spicier the better for me, but good Lord this stuff was en fuego. I am usually not a fan (at all) of cole slaw, but I kept hearing about how good their "blue slaw" was, and I am very glad I branched out and tried it.

We sat at the bar and chatted with others around us and with the bartender. Very laid back atmosphere/cool setting (almost forgot we were in Plano, TX) - we will definitely be back.
CDub06
AG
Haven't done this in a few weeks. I got a scattershot for you: Houston, South Texas and Panhandle!

Henk's - Amarillo, TX:

My late lunch at Henk's was thoroughly disappointing. The service was lacking, the sides were average but most importantly, the meat was subpar. I expected it after I had to correct the girl 3 times that I wanted sliced brisket, not chopped. Then the man behind the counter doused my meat in unrequested sauce. Sigh... Luckily I stopped him before the sauce hit the ribs.

They packed my meats up to go so I took it to the table and slowly unboxed the inevitable. The brisket was bonded to thick chunks of unrendered fat and swam in the pool of sauce. Biting into the meat, I could find had no discernible flavor of its own. The stingy serving of sausage was just ok. The ribs may have been the high point but they were doused with salt in the same way the other meats were soaked with the cumin flavored sauce. Way too salty for my tastes.

Grade: C-

Dyer's - Amarillo, TX:
I will tell you that I was hesitant to visit this place simply because of all the way locals talked it up. I'm often weary of local recommendations as they're often based on tradition and nostalgia. I had 5 people recommend Dyer's (which was previously on my list) and none of them were familiar with Tyler's (which is just around the corner and the standard I use to judge Panhandle BBQ).

Dyer's is a full-service restaurant (another red flag) but honestly after finishing my meal, I had no major complaints, which is huge for this area. The meats were good. Unfortunately the brisket was tough and a bit dry but it featured well rendered fat and just enough smoke to redeem it (actually not evident from the picture below). The Polish Sausage was surprisingly good. The ribs which had a slightly sweet rub were the high point. They had the nice tug and a good flavor you want in a good prok rib (though I'm a bit adverse to sweet rubs). I don't normally give shoutouts to side orders but: The Onion Rings, cole slaw and homemade pickles were evidently crafted with care. There were plenty of employees to be found and service was friendly and excellent. A good option for this area.

Grade: B-- (I wavered between a low B and a high C - I'll confess that after a little time in the BBQ wasteland of the panhandle, C BBQ slowly slides up to a B. It's not a perfect system...)

Pitmaster BBQ - The Woodlands, TX
If you don't know, Corkscrew is my home base for BBQ. Pit Master sits in a much more viable location in the same shopping center as Corkscrew. I've passed by it numerous times, laughing at the "Voted Best BBQ In The Woodlands" marquee without ever stopping to sample it. I knew this type of place and I knew the result without having to sample the meats.

Well I finally convinced myself to perform my due diligence and make a stop at Pit Masters. This place was exactly what I expected and is so typical of many small town joints around Texas. I've eaten at numerous places like exactly like this across the state (especially North/East Texas) so it is completely predictable. The brisket is dry and tasteless, the sausage is storebought and the ribs flavor comes solely from the glaze. I will admit the ribs had a decent tug but in the end, very little flavor. The "Secret" ingredient to the BBQ sauce is Worsteshire Sauce. And if I am reviewing the sauce, you know exactly where I stand. $18 for a plate of dull meat and a sweet tea. I saw it coming and due diligence is the curse I bear...

Grade: C--

Smolik's Smokehouse - Mathis, TX

A little more autobiography in this entry. There was a time growing up that I was not a BBQ snob. I grew up in the wasteland of BBQ that is South Texas. I actually lived my first 18 years about 20 minutes from this place and even visited it a few times growing up. My recent visit had me saying "WOW! I don't remember it being anything like this!"

I tried a lot of meat on this trip to Smolik's. So much that the woman helping me refused to believe that I'd eat it all and packed my beef rib to go. Everything I had was good. The brisket was excellent, great crust and great smoke dripping with well rendered fat. The brisket had all of the other characteristics it needed that I forgave its slight dryness. The pork ribs were also a bit dry but had a really good flavor (a little too sweet for my liking). The sausage was very good, housemade with a perfectly prepared snap. The beef rib was excellent, really big and really tasty. And no, I didn't finish the rib. It ended up riding shotgun on my way back home Fred Flintstone style.

Grade: B++

[This message has been edited by CDub06 (edited 2/28/2014 10:53a).]
Tree Hugger
AG
surprised to hear that about Dyer's. I am forced to eat at the one in Pampa just about every time we take the kids to visit my mother in law. I can't stand it, but I will say that the plate in your pic looks better than anything I have ever had at the Pampa location.
byfLuger41
AG
CDub with the info post!

Word, son!
CDub06
AG
Had Fargo's on Saturday (2nd in line). Good as always. Those ribs are tough to beat.

However, I'm really here to talk about this:

http://www.tmbbq.com/kreuz-market-coming-to-bryan/

quote:
Bryan, Texas is about to get another barbecue joint, and it’s a legendary one. Keith Schmidt of Kreuz Market in Lockhart, Texas says they will build the second location of Kreuz Market over a hundred miles from Lockhart along Highway 6 in Bryan. It’ll be built just north of the College Station city limits right in front of the Best Western and next to an IHOP. They’re hoping to finalize the design drawings this week and the targeted opening date will be sometime in the fall. That means before the end of the year there’ll be some fresh competition for Fargo’s Pit BBQ for the best barbecue in Bryan.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.