Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2013 BBQ list

168,024 Views | 954 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CDub06
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to Austin today - my wife has a wedding planning meeting and I am going to try and hit up a few bbq spots. Thinking John Mueller and Micklethwait since we won't be getting to town until noonish. Hopefully both places will have some good stuff available.

I tried Lockhart in Bishop Arts (Dallas) and was pretty disappointed. The brisket's bark had a ton of smokey flavor, but the rest of it was pretty bland. The sausage, which I expected great things from didn't have a good snap. Honestly, it wasn't any better than Rudy's.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Headed to Austin today - my wife has a wedding planning meeting and I am going to try and hit up a few bbq spots. Thinking John Mueller and Micklethwait since we won't be getting to town until noonish. Hopefully both places will have some good stuff available.

I tried Lockhart in Bishop Arts (Dallas) and was pretty disappointed. The brisket's bark had a ton of smokey flavor, but the rest of it was pretty bland. The sausage, which I expected great things from didn't have a good snap. Honestly, it wasn't any better than Rudy's.
Haven't been to John Mueller but it's on my list for Austin. Micklethwait is awesome. Hopefully they'll have the "knockwurst". Their pork shoulder is unbelievable as well as their brisket. Jalapeno cheese grits are insane too. You'll probably have a little wait at that time, but its nothing like Franklins.

I had the same experience with the brisket at Lockhart in Dallas (actually at the one in Plano as well). I do think their sausage is awesome though because they get it from Kruez in Lockhart. Kind of humorous that the only thing I like there is something they get from another bbq joint. Report back on your Austin visit. Trying to decide if John Mueller place is worth a 3 hour drive!
Quinn
AG
Got to John Mueller Meat Co just after 12 yesterday. The line was about 6 deep, and everything was still on the menu, so I was feeling good. Unfortunately, brisket and beef sausage both sold out just before it was my chance to order. I went with 1/2 pound each of pork shoulder and pork ribs. The pork should had great flavor, but I got some dry pieces. Pretty good overall. Ribs were fine - not that good, but certainly not bad. The sauce was good, but very odd. It was basically tomato soup - I wish I had a grilled cheese to dip in in. Did not go with bbq IMO (I don't usually put sauce on meat, but I always like to try it out).

Micklethwait Was awesome, and I felt like I should have gone there first. They had everything but beef ribs, but bc I ate too much at John Mueller, I only got 1/2 pound of brisket, jalapeo cheese grits, and a moon pie. Brisket had great flavor, a nice crust, with the fat melting just right. Jalapeo cheese grits were great, and they had homemade bread rather than the regular stale white bread, which was a nice touch. Sauce was good for dipping the bread. The only down side is that it took forever. The line was about 15 deep when I got there, and it took about 20+ min to get order. They don't slice and serve, but instead you sit down and wait for them to call your name. I probably had to wait 30 min, so I'm not sure what they were doing in the truck, especially since there were three people serving.

Anyways, good day of bbq (and we had dinner at Salty Sow, which is great in its own right). Probably an off day for John Mueller, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but I highly recommend Micklewait.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Cork screw is right down the road and is the tits. I've been handling the Whole Hog sandwich lately which never disappoints.

Cdub...I agree with you on pit master but they have a pretty damn good tater salad. Rest is typical.
Shhh
CDub06
AG
If you're shushing the Corkscrew talk, that secret has been out for a while.

If you're shushing the tater salad talk, you can have it.
CDub06
AG
John Mueller does seem to struggle with consistency but that dude can put out some amazing brisket.

I know of people that don't like patronizing his trailer because he's a jerk, which he definitely can be (and embraces). But TMBBQ put out an interview with him that actually seemed to characterize him very well. It's worth a read: http://tmbbq.com/interview-john-mueller-of-john-mueller-meat-co/
Quinn
AG
I read that interview and I agree that it was an interesting look into Mueller and how he runs his business. I'm sure that his brisket can be amazing - just wish I had gotten there 5 min earlier on Saturday to try it.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
If you're shushing the Corkscrew talk, that secret has been out for a while.

If you're shushing the tater salad talk, you can have it.
I know, but I prefer to wait 30-60 min and not 3 hours for Q.
BurnetAggie99
John Mueller can also make some great Beef Ribs as well.
Represent830
AG
Just found this thread (along with the beer thread... damn). I've been to a few of these and like good BBQ. Anyone been to Sisterdale BBQ outside of Boerne? Been there about 5 times and love it but wanted to see what others thought. Brisket, burnt ends, and Chicken are excellent.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Anyone been to Sisterdale BBQ outside of Boerne? Been there about 5 times and love it but wanted to see what others thought. Brisket, burnt ends, and Chicken are excellent.
WTF CDub, why haven't you been here?

EDIT: Since you're new to the thread, you might have missed this but we have a poster on here that like BBQ more than any one else on the planet I think, and he started a cool BBQ website with reviews/map. Here's his site. CDub eats a lot of BBQ and I'm jealous
CDub06
AG
It's actully been on my to do list for a long time. I keep getting distracted by all these new places I find.

And thanks for the awesome endorsement.
CDub06
AG
Houston BBQ Festival tickets go on sale tomorrow:

http://houbbq.com/
BSD
AG
i got mine today
CDub06
AG
Well apparently I stand corrected.
BSD
AG
It was actually a presale for previous attendees (maybe just for VIP ticket holders...not sure). I'm glad that popped up because I'll be on a plane all day tomorrow so I was able to get it out of the way.
CDub06
AG
Got my VIPs. See y'all there.
CDub06
AG
Sometimes I eat BBQ that is so bad I want to cry...
Out in Left Field
AG
Went to John Mueller Meat Co. Monday morning. Stood in the freezing cold and wind but it was delicious.
AggieBQ03
AG
quote:

Decided a few years ago life is to short to eat bad food. Even if I already paid for it.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:

Decided a few years ago life is to short to eat bad food. Even if I already paid for it.
I can feel that, but bad BBQ is better one of the better lunch options for me.
Quinn
AG
quote:
Went to John Mueller Meat Co. Monday morning. Stood in the freezing cold and wind but it was delicious.
That's good to hear - what did you have?
Out in Left Field
AG
quote:
quote:
That's good to hear - what did you have?
Brisket, pork ribs, and beef sausage. All were very good. Brisket was outstanding IMO.
agcrock2005
AG
CDub, add Meat U Anywhere in Grapevine to your list. Interested to hear your thoughts. I tried it today for lunch and it's now in my top 3 for DFW. Make sure you get the jalapeno/bacon mac & cheese.

Meat U Anywhere BBQ
CDub06
AG
Thanks for the rec. I've seen them pop up on Twitter recently. Seems to be doing a nice job of getting their name out.
BSD
AG
do we have a thread on cooking a brisket? If so, this video of Aaron Franklin trimming a brisket at Brisket Camp should be in there:

Quinn
AG
quote:
CDub, add Meat U Anywhere in Grapevine to your list. Interested to hear your thoughts. I tried it today for lunch and it's now in my top 3 for DFW. Make sure you get the jalapeno/bacon mac & cheese.

Meat U Anywhere BBQ

I'm out in the suburbs today and might go check this out. Would be late afternoon, so hopefully they've got some good stuff left.
Quinn
AG
quote:
do we have a thread on cooking a brisket? If so, this video of Aaron Franklin trimming a brisket at Brisket Camp should be in there:

I really enjoyed all of his videos. Worth a watch.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
quote:

Meat U Anywhere BBQ

I'm out in the suburbs today and might go check this out. Would be late afternoon, so hopefully they've got some good stuff left.
Judging BBQ joints on food "late afternoon" might not be fair! Did you make it out there? I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on the place. I thought it was pretty good.
Quinn
AG
I got there at 230pm and tried the brisket and jalapeo cheddar sausage. The brisket had good bark and good flavor, but it was a little overdone. This could have been because of it being held for longer than usual (I drove it back to Dallas before eating, too). The sausage was pretty good, though they pre-sliced it for me rather than just giving me a link, which was a little odd. Overall I thought it was pretty good and I would go there again.
Ric Clark
The Burnt End Crew (Sigma Chi Alumni) started out in Dallas and went to the following locations this past weekend;

FRIDAY
Slow Bone - Dallas
Pecan Lodge - Dallas
Vitek's - Waco
Whup's Boomerang Barbeque - Marlin

SATURDAY
Snow's BBQ - Lexington
City Market BBQ - Giddings
Zimmerhanzer's BBQ - Smithville
Black's BBQ - Lockhart
City Market BBQ - Lockhart
Kreuz's BBQ - Lockhart

SUNDAY
C&J BBQ - Bryan
Blue Moon BBQ - Edge

Next Crew Q tour in July where we will be flying to Memphis. WHOOP.....

CDub06
AG
Who is the burnt end crew and how do I gain membership?
Mustang1
AG
Order of preference?
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
SATURDAY
Snow's BBQ - Lexington
City Market BBQ - Giddings
Zimmerhanzer's BBQ - Smithville
Black's BBQ - Lockhart
City Market BBQ - Lockhart
Kreuz's BBQ - Lockhart

Smitty's or City Market in Luling? What were your favorites?
Garrelli 5000
AG
Skipped quite a few pages so maybe this has been mentioned already - Hutchins started making their own sausage a year or two ago.

Their jalapeo cheddar sausage is my favorite sausage on the planet. Enough of both cheese and jalapeos that you can actually taste it, not just green and yellow spots for appearance.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.