Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2013 BBQ list

168,028 Views | 954 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CDub06
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sad that I really never got to try La Barbecue with John Lewis at the helm. I stopped by once after lunch, and all that was left was a chopped brisket sammich, which was good, but I never got the whole experience. Hopefully things don't fall off too much with a new Pitmaster.

http://www.tmbbq.com/new-head-pitmaster-at-la-barbecue/
Quinn
AG
I tried Killen's Barbecue in Pearland on Saturday. My dad and I got there about 9:30am and we were 8th "in line". I put "in line" in quotations because they use a deli ticketing system so that you don't actually have to stand/sit in order until about 5-10 minutes before they open at 11am. This was a nice touch as we were able to sit a picnic table and wait until about 1050am.

We ended up getting brisket, pork ribs, pork & beef sausage, jalapeno pork & beef sausage, and turkey. For sides we went with mac & cheese, creamed corn, and potato salad. The brisket had a nice bark (heavy pepper) with good smokey flavor. It was B/B+ in my book. I really enjoyed the ribs, especially with the tangy sauce that I added to it. The jalapeno sausage was badly undercooked, which was very disappointing. Mac & cheese and potato salad were both good, standard issue sides. Creamed corn was a favorite of our group.

Overall, really enjoyed Killen's. I do think it is a little overhyped, but still a really good joint overall.
Mustang1
AG
Ready to check out Gatlins Jackson St BBQ next to minute maid park. Opens in 2 wks.
mslags97
AG
CDub, I just thought I would ask, and ask anyone else that posts on here (my favorite thread on Texags), what you think of the Granary in San Antonio.

My tastes seem to be pretty similar to yours, actually very close! I loved it, but it is definitely different. Their brisket was very good, as were the rest of their meats, but their ribs were some of the very best I have ever had! And their sides are amazing.

Thanks!
Quinn
AG
I've really been wanting to try that place, but just never am in San Antone.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
I've really been wanting to try that place, but just never am in San Antone.
Same
BurnetAggie99
I been a few times and its pretty good but I'm not ready to put it in the elite group just yet. Some times the moist brisket is on and sometimes its off. The sausage is above average and has good smoke penatration. Not a fan of the Carolina style pulled pork. Just don't like Carolina style BBQ. I want Texas style BBQ. The ribs are real good and different. I like the beef pastrami ribs. The sides are top notch and made from scratch including the pickles. Very good BBQ place and also has A&M times since the pit master is a Aggie.
Reel Aggies
AG
Granaries marbled brisket is as close as one can get to austin area bbq in SA. Best in SA as far as I'm concerned. It is done really well. About $18/lb. They brew their own beer and the homemade bread that comes with it is awesome. I go any chance I get.
Quinn
AG
I did go to BBQ On the Brazos in Cresson last Saturday. I got there around 1:30pm, so the brisket was a little dry, which was unfortunate. Turkey and sausage were both just fine, and they were sold out of ribs. Sides were all good, though the potato salad was more like mashed potatoes and the slaw had a kick, which liked. The whipped banana pudding was awesome - get this if you ever make it out there. Overall, Im glad I went since I had to be in the area, but I would t make a big trip for it. Worth stopping at if you're in the area, though.
ILikeTacos
AG
Bbq on the Brazos works if you are running track time at MSR. Otherwise it is nothing special and the owner is a sip. the brisket is better than average and the banana pudding does rock.
Quinn
AG
I was wearing an Ol Sarge shirt, so the guy at BBQ on The Brazos gave me a hard time. He did say he wasn't actually a tsip, but that he just likes giving people a hard time. Guess he's just a tshirt tsip.

It was fun watching the cars get around the track while sitting on the porch, though.
CDub06
AG
I actually just tried the Granary about 2 weeks ago. Sampled their stuff at TMBBQfest too. Had bbq board (brisket, pulled pork) & clod. I thought the meats were pretty good. Brisket & pork were fairly straightforward and good. The caramel was very distracting from the flavor of the clod. I really dug the place and had higher expectations for the food, but it was still pretty good. I also liked the smoked cauliflower. Bummed that ribs weren't available.

Lambert's does "fancy bbq" better.

I hadn't been over to that area in a while. I love what they've done out there with the old pearl brewery.
CDub06
AG
I've only made it out to BBQ on the Brazos once but I was blown away by that thick cut brisket. Some of the most photogenic meat I've seen. And it tasted just as well. Hoping to get back out there in the next couple of months.
Quinn
AG
Hmm I definitely didn't get brisket like that. One of the slices was closer to beef jerky than great brisket. I would definitely try it again if I was in the general area, I just have no reason to be.
petey88

Last Saturday, while running around, saw Miller's in Belton had one car out front. Grabbed a couple of sliced lean beef sandwiches

Outstanding

As I sat out front with a Shiner and sandwich, perhaps 10 vehicles pulled in
cowtown ag02
AG
I hit BBQ on the Brazos about every weekend and it is constantly great. For my money, the best in tarrant county and SW side of town. The fatty brisket off the point and ribs are always great. Everybody raves about banana pudding but the brazos cobbler which is basically pecan pie in a cobbler form is great. Also, if low on cash and want a good meal, get a sliced brisket sandwich (ask for fatty) for $7 dollars. The meat is great but the buns are great. I think they are sourdough with bits of jalapeo in it. Don't know if homemade or bought from Sysco foods but they are fresh and awesome.

I was there Saturday around 10:30 and was wearing my Aggie hat and the pitmaster gave me hard time about it also. I agree that he is a t-shirt sip. He is not the friendliest person but he is grown on me as I have kept coming back. Food is always consistent. I keep telling him to move to cowtown and he would dominate the local scene bc Angelo's, railhead, cousins, etc. don't cut it. He said they are looking at opening second joint in FW do we shall wait and see. Maybe BBQ on the Trinity!
cowtown ag02
AG
Also, at BBQ on the Brazos if you run by it in the morning stop in and get the breakfast burrito with brisket. They make their own flour tortillas and for like $3.50 it is loaded and will you get through until dinner. Much better breakfast burrito than Del Norte in Godley which was over $5 for the same thing with less brisket. Only complaint with BBQ on the Brazos is that on the fatty brisket he cuts the meat too thick. I don't know why he does this, much thicker than Franklins recommendation of thickness of #2 pencil.
Quinn
AG
I'll have to figure out a time to make it back out there. Must have caught them on an off day.
agcrock2005
AG
Went to Louie Mueller in Taylor yesterday because some on here (or another thread) had mentioned that the quality had gone up from where it was a few years ago.

Brisket: Perfectly cooked. Great smoke. Rub needed salt. If it had salt, it would have been very good.
Ribs: Excellent - EDIT: Trim the damn ribs. I don't want to eat cartilage and fat, nor do I want to pay for the extra weight!!!
Jalapeno Sausage: Awful. Weird texture and flavor wasn't great.
Sauce: Don't normally use, but this was terrible any how. Really weird. Very greasy and little flavor.

EDIT: It's expensive as ****! $21/lb for brisket. Had sandwich, 1/2 lb brisket and ribs, 1 sausage link and two drinks. $42
BurnetAggie99
Louie Mueller is my favorite place next to LA BBQ. I love the sausage. Its old school German Hot Guts. I get the Chipotle sausage. I love their brisket & ribs. The sauce is like a tomato-based dipping sauce. Its different was was invented by the grandfather and always served on the side. Here is their recipe below.

1 1/2 cups beef stock or broth
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons bacon drippings or unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon (to taste) freshly ground coarse pepper

Directions:
Combine the beef stock, ketchup, onion, bacon drippings, salt and pepper in a medium pot.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer until onion is tender (approx. 10 minutes)
Remove from heat and set aside for at least 1 hour.
Reheat sauce before serving.
Quinn
AG
Anyone else get the Franklin Barbecue book? Mine arrived in the mail today and I can't wait to crack it open!
Whoop04
I got mine a couple days ago but havent had a chance to crack it open. Will probably sit down with a beer during the Masters this weekend and go through it.
Quinn
AG
i read the first chapter last night, which was a very detailed backstory of how he got started. Very interesting and super indepth about how he got his start.
JR_83
I'm headed to Franklins for a company celebration Friday. How early should we get in line?
Quinn
AG
730? I've never waited in line (I've pre-ordered), but I would get there as early as possible. You're going to be sitting around somewhere, might as well be in line rather than at home/hotel. That way you get your food early and don't have to worry about them running out of anything.
AggieBQ03
AG
I'd plan to be there by 7:00 on a Fri/Sat. Should mean you get served before 12:30 for sure. The problem with even getting there at 8:00 is you will probably get food, but might not get served until 1:00 or 2:00. There is limited space inside and one serving counter, so it moves kinda slow even after they open. Take some lawn chairs, cooler, and a book. Or just chat with others in line and enjoy the experience. When the line starts moving you can take your stuff back to the car.
BSD
AG
Aaron Franklin was on Jimmy Kimmel last night. Nothing too exciting but here's the link:

http://www.eater.com/2015/4/15/8420017/watch-aaron-franklin-teach-jimmy-kimmel-live-smoke-brisket
Whoop04
How early do you need to be in line during the middle of the week?
AggieBQ03
AG
My experience earlier this year put us 4th in line at about 7:30. I'd think anything before 8:30 should get you in a decent spot.
BSD
AG
Dallas guys: Texas Monthly is doing another Fire and Smoke dinner in May. This time it's Justin Fourton of Pecan Lodge and John Tesar of Knife (and Oak). It aint cheap but I'm considering going...the only thing is that I dont know anything about Tesar. Anyone have thoughts as to if this will be a good dinner?
Ag MD 84
AG
re: Tesar----"Of course you want the 240. It's the most famous steak in Texas. Meticulously dry-aged in-house for 240 days until it attains an almost truffle-like intensity of flavor, this USDA Prime tomahawk ribeye has few peers."---Texas Monthly's take on Knife
gigemags87
AG
Had a great experience at Hutchins last weekend. Maybe the best BBQ experience I've had in recent memory.

I like how they cut their brisket a bit thicker than most. Probably was a tad wider than a #2 pencil.
Tesar is a supremely talented chef. I will leave it at that.
Bsd, if you weren't joking about not knowing who tesar is (not sure?) and have some time to kill, read the passages about jimmy Sears in the bourdain books. Also, dmagazine did a great piece a few years back that is online. It is titled "John tesar, the most hated chef in Dallas."
BSD
AG
I seriously wasn't joking. I haven't lived in Dallas for over a decade and only visit about once a year, so all I had on the guy was his website. Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.