Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2013 BBQ list

168,029 Views | 954 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CDub06
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ate at la bbq over Christmas. It was pretty good but I don't know if I'd spend 2 hours in line for it again.
GIF Reactor
AG
I agree. Still wanting to try out Franklin's and Snow's soon.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Still wanting to try out Franklin's and Snow's soon.
I miss them...both amazing!
bobbyb0322
Snows is so good. I need some snows.
BSD
AG
I didn't have a good meal at Snows the one time I went. Some people have off days so I won't write them off yet. Luckily I'll be back in a few weeks for a second shot at it.
Jock 07
AG
Haven't been to Snows in probably at least 5 or 6 years but damn it was good, need to make a trip back out there some time.
Quinn
AG
That stinks. I hate when I build up a place in my head or to someone else and it doesn't live up to the hype.

I need to figure out a time when I can make it to Snow's.
GIF Reactor
AG
BSD, what is your favorite BBQ place?
GIF Reactor
AG
I've heard Wednesdays are the 'slow' days at Franklin BBQ...have you guys found that to be true? I don't want to give up a huge chunk of the day to sit in a line.
Quinn
AG
Check this guy's twitter feed out: https://twitter.com/FranklinBBQline

Or just preorder on their website and skip the line (I've done it twice). 9am the first Monday of the prior month (order for April the first Monday of March).
BSD
AG
My favorite has always been Franklin. It is consistently awesome. I wont deal with that line, though. A close second would be a tie between La BBQ and Pecan Lodge. In fact, I had Pecan Lodge beating Franklin at the TMBBQ Fest a few years back. But at this year's Festival, PL has not on their game and Franklin was top again. I'd like to get to Austin and hit up the other guys that I haven't tried yet (Micklewaithe, etc)
CDub06
AG
Tuesday and Wednesday are noted slow days. Franklin BBQ Line has confirmed this through the course of his twitter feed.

We go to Snow's about 3-4 times a year, mostly during football season. It's an easy trip from CS to get the gameday started. We usually leave about 7AM and get there just before opening. It's always worth it.

There have been a couple of times where the ribs or brisket have just been off, but never have they both been "off" on the same visit. Normally, both meats are just about as good as you expect from Snow's.
CDub06
AG
FYI: Houston BBQ Festival tickets are now on sale: https://houbbq.com/

It's now going to happen in May. May 22 to be exact...

quote:
$60 General Admission ($50 early bird discount tickets on sale now - LIMITED AVAILABILITY!) includes entry into the festival and unlimited sample portions from each participating Houston barbecue joint.

$120 VIP Admission ($100 early bird discount tickets on sale now - LIMITED AVAILABILITY!) includes entry into the festival one hour early (at noon) and unlimited sample portions from each participating Houston barbecue joint. A T-shirt and one (1) drink ticket are also included.

GIF Reactor
AG
Tried out Stanley's in Tyler. Extra bark brisket was pretty good, but I wish I had also tried the moist/fatty and the ribs. Sausage seemed like it was eckridge store bought or similar.
Quinn
AG
http://austin.eater.com/2016/3/24/11297556/barbecue-austin-live-blog-franklin-barbecue

Eater did a Austin BBQ tour last week. No real new information, but some good pictures. I need to hit up Valentina's when I'm in Austin in a few weeks. Also, John Mueller's sauce looks different in those pictures than I remember. It was almost tomato soup when I went a year or so ago, but it looks like a much thicker sauce now.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Valentina's breakfast tacos
Quinn
AG
quote:
Valentina's breakfast tacos
Yep, that's what I now have a huge craving for.
aeroag14
AG
Dads having a few health issues so I flew home to Tyler to visit him at TMF hospital. He seems to be doing better.

Step two? Walk across the street and get me some Stanelys
jh0400
AG
I'm planning to visit my parents in east Texas in July, and my stepdad has been wanting to try Franklin for years. There's a good chance he won't be able to get to Austin to try it, and I don't know that I'll have time to drive from Houston to Austin and back the day before we leave to drive up there. Does anyone know of a way to get a Franklin brisket shipped? If not, I'll order one from Snow's, but I figure it's worth a shot to ask.
BSD
AG
You need someone to go pick it up in Austin and ship it for you. Franklin wont do it. Maybe try contacting that kid that used to stand in line for a fee. I'd be interested in that too. It wouldn't be cheap, though.
jh0400
AG
June 30th road trip?
BSD
AG
cant, i'll be diving with whale sharks that day.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
You need someone to go pick it up in Austin and ship it for you. Franklin wont do it. Maybe try contacting that kid that used to stand in line for a fee. I'd be interested in that too. It wouldn't be cheap, though.
Cost me $120 bucks for one brisket and that doesn't include whatever fee you'll encounter for picking up/delivery. I didn't think it was near as good as when I waited in line. I wouldn't get one again.
jh0400
AG
As much as he's talked about wanting to try it, I'd be willing to pay another $100 or so to have sent to him.
JR_83
Speaking of Franklin's, we had some brought into the office today (my actual first time to try it). Yes, the brisket is easily the best in Austin, and the spare ribs were the tenderest, most fall- off- the- bone ribs I've ever had. Sausage was meh, but who cares! Ordering ahead of time is definitely the way to go.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
the spare ribs
Very underrated IMO
StillNotAnAggie
quote:
I'm planning to visit my parents in east Texas in July, and my stepdad has been wanting to try Franklin for years. There's a good chance he won't be able to get to Austin to try it, and I don't know that I'll have time to drive from Houston to Austin and back the day before we leave to drive up there. Does anyone know of a way to get a Franklin brisket shipped? If not, I'll order one from Snow's, but I figure it's worth a shot to ask.

If you are in Houston, why don't you do Corkscrew? May not be Franklin's per se but it is damn good and a whole lot shorter drive.
jh0400
AG
Because all my stepdad has talked about for the past two years is that hopefully one day he can get to Austin to try Franklin's brisket. I'm sure I could get Killens, Corkscrew, Stanley's in Tyler, or any number of places and have good enough brisket, but that's not what I'm looking for.
jja79
AG
I have a hard time believing Franklin's or anywhere is betterthan Corkscrew.

Have you been? If not then go. I've been eating BBQ in Texas over 50 years and I've never had anything like it.
jh0400
AG
It's not for me. It's a gift.

And Franklin is that good; like Bouchon onion soup, best thing I've tasted good.
jja79
AG
My question is have you ever had Corkscrew?

I get the gift aspect of this and applaud your effort.
jh0400
AG
I haven't made it to Corkscrew yet. From what I've read it seems to well liked. My wife isn't a fan of lines, so that limits our ability to try a lot of the better known BBQ places.
jja79
AG
If it's convenient at all. I'm not at all a fan of standing in line but after my first visit I just budget the time and do it. It's worth it.
gigem70
AG
Roegle's in Houston has really good bbq. I went there last weekend and the brisket and pork ribs were excellent. My only regret is that I forgot to get banana pudding to go. Owners Russell and Misty are good folks.
BurnetAggie99
Awesome stuff. Micklethwait is one you should also add to you list next time your in Austin. Also Kerlin is pretty good as well. The places you went are most definitely staples here in Austin and make some great BBQ. I'm a big fan of all the ones you went to.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.