Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2013 BBQ list

168,034 Views | 954 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CDub06
GIF Reactor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Miller's is awesome. Moist brisket and jalapeno cheese sausage are my favorites. They also have good chicken.
Jock 07
AG
Looking at checking out killens finally for the first time tomorrow. What time do I need to get there?
maca1028
quote:
Looking at checking out killens finally for the first time tomorrow. What time do I need to get there?

Did you get to go? What'd you think?
Jock 07
AG
I did. Got there bout 1115, waited for bout 30ish minutes, not too bad. Beef rib was pretty damn good. But the brisket, while good, wasn't on par with corkscrew imo. Glad I got down there to check it out but think I'll stay on the north side and hit up either corkscrew or roegels from here on out. I was down at NASA today so it was a good opportunity to check them out. Collard greens were pretty damn good as well.
maca1028
Good deal, yeah their beef ribs is what they're known for.
AgFB
AG
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/BBQ-Restaurant-Pecan-Lodge-Catches-Fire-386609991.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_DFWBrand
Quinn
AG
Damn, hope it wasn't extensive damage...
BSD
AG
Pecan Lodge is open for business. No significant damage.
Vade281
AG
Not sure when it reopened, but the Cattleack BBQ place took over their neighbors spot and quadrupled it's seating. Still only open Th and F, but damn that beef rib is tasty.
Ogre09
AG
quote:
Had another excellent vist to Killen's in Pearland today.

Planning on hitting up Fargo's in Bryan and Miller's in Belton this next week as I travel.

Fargo's was ok. I like Rudy's brisket better. Their chicken, ribs, and red beans were good. Probably my 2nd favorite in BCS now.

Timing didn't work for Miller's.
CDub06
AG
Who do you like better in BCS?

The ribs are why you go to Fargo's. Everything else is just supporting cast. They're one of my favorite ribs.
Quinn
AG
Yup. Everything else is decent, but the ribs are fantastic.
tlfw378
AG
No wonder I'm not the biggest fan of Fargo's...I judge all by brisket. I have had their brisket and I was not impressed. The ribs were good.
Cannon Crew Ag
AG
I'm having the same realization. The first time I went to Fargo's I got the brisket and it was AMAZING, but the previous two times it was good, but not great. I will definitely be hitting them up to try the ribs here in the next few weeks when I go back to school.
Ogre09
AG
quote:
Who do you like better in BCS?

The ribs are why you go to Fargo's. Everything else is just supporting cast. They're one of my favorite ribs.

Brisket is my favorite, so Rudy's is still my top BCS place. I'll go back to Fargo's though and give them another go.
army01
AG
Anyone make it to Heim's since they opened the b&m store?
AgFB
AG
The line has been crazy. My buddy has been and said it's good but he knows the owners so he may be biased. I know they are wanting to do a bar menu when the BBQ runs out but haven't been able to work that out yet.
TXRed75
AG
I went 2 Thursdays ago. I think maybe only their second day in the store. I'd never been to the trailer. Heard a lot of good things and always wanted to try it.

I thought it was underwhelming. Maybe I was expecting too much from all the hype but I just didn't think their brisket was worth $20/lb. It was good, but not $20/lb good. I got a 2 meat plate with brisket and pork rib. Once slice of brisket and one rib and 2 sides for $17 w/ a drink. Pretty weak. The sides were good, but I don't think most people judge bbq joints on their sides.

The line is intentionally slow according to a post I saw on their facebook complaining about the line. The line is VERY slow. They didn't let us in the door till about 11:15, we were the eighth and 9th people in line. I get that, its a new store and they couldn't open up right at 11, no big deal. But the cashier is extraordinarily slow. There are 2 registers and only one open. I thought maybe the people ordering are just slow/don't know for sure what they want, even though we'd been waiting for 45 minutes outside. When I go to order the cashier tells me to slow down my order; she can't keep up with it. For a 2 meat plate, not 2 lbs of brisket and every side like the first woman in line.

They should probably do like Franklin and have designated days for large to-go and that could solve the line/restaurant filling up problem.

I really wanted to like the place but it was disappointing. Maybe I got a bad day, but if you're gonna charge Franklin price, it better be Franklin good.

CDub06
AG
I have strong feelings about Heim. I love them. (My Write-Up: http://www.texasbbqadventures.com/2015/06/heim-barbecue-fort-worth.html)

I have not made it to their new location. Soon hopefully (fingers crossed). I would agree that the bulk take-out orders was a huge flaw in their process even at the old location. I hope they work out their kinks.
'03ag
Went to the new Heim location on saturday. I met some people there so the line wasn't long for me.

1) The sides amazing at this place. Greens, fries, mac n cheese, pinto beans, banana pudding. All excellent. Best sides I've had at ANY bbq joint and it's not close. I've been to a few that make a good fresh cut fry. That's about it.

2) Then there's the bar. Short of having the limited release stuff like pappy, etc, they've got an exceptional whiskey selection. I also had an Old fashioned and based on that their cocktail program is nails. If they can do an Old Fashioned without tricking it up then they know what they're doing.

3) The BBQ. What I had was top tier central Texas style BBQ. I can't speak to their consistency since I've only been once, but what I had was excellent. Franklins good? No, but what is? I had fatty brisket, sausage, ribs, and bacon burnt ends. I loved it all.

I know sides are the end all for a lot of people, especially when it comes to bbq, but that's what really blew me away. Not because the BBQ wasn't good, but because the BBQ was so good AND they had an amazing overall restaurant experience. The BBQ was miles better than ANY place I've been to that offers a full range of sides and a even a decent bar, much less great bar.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
I went 2 Thursdays ago. I think maybe only their second day in the store. I'd never been to the trailer. Heard a lot of good things and always wanted to try it.

I thought it was underwhelming. Maybe I was expecting too much from all the hype but I just didn't think their brisket was worth $20/lb. It was good, but not $20/lb good. I got a 2 meat plate with brisket and pork rib. Once slice of brisket and one rib and 2 sides for $17 w/ a drink. Pretty weak. The sides were good, but I don't think most people judge bbq joints on their sides.

The line is intentionally slow according to a post I saw on their facebook complaining about the line. The line is VERY slow. They didn't let us in the door till about 11:15, we were the eighth and 9th people in line. I get that, its a new store and they couldn't open up right at 11, no big deal. But the cashier is extraordinarily slow. There are 2 registers and only one open. I thought maybe the people ordering are just slow/don't know for sure what they want, even though we'd been waiting for 45 minutes outside. When I go to order the cashier tells me to slow down my order; she can't keep up with it. For a 2 meat plate, not 2 lbs of brisket and every side like the first woman in line.

They should probably do like Franklin and have designated days for large to-go and that could solve the line/restaurant filling up problem.

I really wanted to like the place but it was disappointing. Maybe I got a bad day, but if you're gonna charge Franklin price, it better be Franklin good.

I feel like you described my visit. Food was so average for what I was expecting and insanely priced (well, for average BBQ). It wasn't anywhere near as good as meat u anywhere or Billy oaks acres (brisket) IMO. i wrote a Yelp review (yes, I use Yelp!) and gave 3 stars and suggested the line was painfully slow and the owner wrote me this long email talking about how he works really long hours, it's just him and his wife, doesn't have enough capacity in his pit for demand, and a ton of other excuses. It was really odd. I'll see if I can find it. I want to go back and try it but AFTER they figure out their stupid line. How can you be in top ten of people and still take an hour to get food? Only they know!
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Ate at Kerlin BBQ in Austin for lunch. IMO, on this particular day, they've passed up La Barbecue. Absolutely delicious and no line at 12:45pm.

http://imgur.com/a/J0OEE

edit: not sure why my picture won't show up.
BurnetAggie99
With LA BBQ having so much turnover with Pit Masters especially losing John Lewis they have taken a step back a bit but I expect that LeAnn Mueller though will get it back again to its former glory.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
With LA BBQ having so much turnover with Pit Masters especially losing John Lewis they have taken a step back a bit but I expect that LeAnn Mueller though will get it back again to its former glory.
I hate that I never got to try LaBBQ while Lewis was there. Might have to convince the wife to take a weekend trip to Charleston to try his new place one day.
CDub06
AG
Looks like I'll be making the drive to Fort Worth on Monday. I'll let you know what I find.
BurnetAggie99
Yea I'm looking forward to trying his place over there. I got a plant tour with a utility manufacturer over there this coming Fall and plan to stop in. John is a excellent Pitmaster and what I like is he a approachable guy. He will share and is happy to talk about how he cooks. Doesn't withhold any secrets.
BurnetAggie99
http://www.tmbbq.com/austin-south-carolina/

Texas Monthly Artice on John's place in SC
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
John is a excellent Pitmaster and what I like is he a approachable guy. He will share and is happy to talk about how he cooks. Doesn't withhold any secrets
I've liked him ever since this article (well, really the comments section of the article) came out. I tried the pickle juice/mustard thing with the rub he describes and it's amazing. Several "best I've ever had" comments resulted. It was very distinct and good.

quote:
John Lewissays:
July 17, 2013 at 8:10 pm
Try 8 parts coarse ground pepper, 3 parts Lawry's, 3 parts kosher salt, and one part granulated garlic. Rub it down with a half and half mixture of hot dog mustard and pickle juice first before sprinkling the rub on. if it's not working for you, come down to la barbecue and i'll walk you through it. A lot of it has to do with the cooker you are using and the times and temp. I'll walk you through it
Interview: John Lewis of La Barbeque
Quinn
AG
Some odd tweets from John Mueller lately...

And then this news this morning.

Can't say that I am shocked.
agcrock2005
AG
Man, that dude is the Manziel of BBQ. Needs to get his **** together!
CDub06
AG
CDub06
AG
I went to Heim's new brick & mortar yesterday. I showed up at about 11:30 to shorter line than expected. It probably helped that it was raining. 1 of the 2 registers was open and the cashier had training wheels on as Emma was watching over his shoulder and helping him out. They're clearly not operating at 100%. The meat was cut in the kitchen and plated almost immediately. I have to believe that if both registers were open, the kitchen could handle that load. I had my food in less than 20 minutes after getting in line on the sidewalk.

The brisket wasn't quite as good as what I'd experienced on my previous trips to the trailer. Not bad, just not the A+ experience they'd prefaced this visit with. The pork ribs in my opinion were actually better than they offered at the trailer. The bacon burnt ends were still ridiculously delicious meat candy.

I was a little letdown by the brisket, but everything seemed to be rolling. I love the new space - very cool setting to enjoy BBQ. I'd still recommend Heim as the destination for anyone in the Metroplex.

Diggity
AG
Sounds like a guy who gets it
BurnetAggie99
If you get a chance and out in Central Texas go try Highway 29 BBQ in Bertram. The Brisket, Ribs, Hot Guts is on point.

Also Payne's BBQ Shak in Burnet is also worth stopping in. The Brisket and Ribs are very good. Don't like the sausage it's a little different than the Hot Guts I'm used to but some people love it. It's got a nice course grind and smoke flavor but not enough fat like true Texas Hot Guts.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
If you're ever in Austin: give me a call...I'll fly with you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.