Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2013 BBQ list

168,033 Views | 954 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CDub06
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I absolutely love Corkscrew and the people behind it. Been going for years - they're my go to place.

However, it's not on the same level as Franklin - but what is?
jh0400
AG
I stopped in to Drew's on Richmond in Houston yesterday, because it was rated well on Yelp. The brisket had a good flavor but was terribly dry. The ribs were overdone and tasted like they were cooked in an oven. The rub was flavorful, but they had no smoke whatsoever.
Quinn
AG
I had Mickelthwait last year and really enjoyed it. The wait for my order after ordering was insanely slow (30+ min), but it was quality stuff and I didn't have anywhere to be.
Tanya 93
I watch a show on the cooking channel called Extra Virgin: Americana.

The chick from Entourage, along with her husband, their two daughters, and a family friend went to Snow's on the episode last week.

They could not rave enough about the food.
CDub06
AG
It seems like they film something at Snow's every weekend.

You can find me ordering like a BOSS and throwing back some beef in one of the food channel shows.
jja79
AG
I was number 10 at Corkscrew saturday. Excellent as always.

Travel Channel is doing a piece on them for Food Paradise.
Whoop04
quote:
I have a hard time believing Franklin's or anywhere is betterthan Corkscrew.

Have you been? If not then go. I've been eating BBQ in Texas over 50 years and I've never had anything like it.

You've peaked my interest, because franklins blows my balls off every time. Will checkout corkscrew soon and report back.
jah003
S
quote:
I had Mickelthwait last year and really enjoyed it. The wait for my order after ordering was insanely slow (30+ min), but it was quality stuff and I didn't have anywhere to be.

I'd go back to Mickelthwait for the Jalapeo Cheese grits alone...
jja79
AG
I've never been to Franklin's so maybe it's the all time best but I've not had better than Corkscrew. When I go I always get whole chickens to go and we actually had one tonight. They only do them saturday.
BQ92
AG
quote:
I've never been to Franklin's so maybe it's the all time best but I've not had better than Corkscrew. When I go I always get whole chickens to go and we actually had one tonight. They only do them saturday.

Whole Chickens? Is that even BBQ?
Whoop04
I mean, listen, we're talking about chicken, not a brisket, not a brisket, not a brisket, we talking about chicken. Not a brisket. Not, not Not the brisket that I go out there and die for and eat like it's my last. Not the brisket, but we're talking about chicken, man. I mean, how silly is that?
CDub06
jja79
AG
I had 1/2 # brisket, 1/2 # sausage, potato salad and blueberry cobbler there and then took chickens home. I don't care if chicken is BBQ or not as long as it's sinfully delicious.
AggieStout
AG
bbq chicken is delicious, dont care who you are. One of the best things to get at a place like Rudys
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
I had the same experience. Had never liked grits until I had their Jalapeno/Cheese grits. They had incredible brisket (close to Franklin's/Snows) and the "knockwurst" was amazing as well. Line was terribly slow however.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
quote:
My question is have you ever had Corkscrew?
quote:
quote:
I've never been to Franklin's so maybe it's the all time best but I've not had better than Corkscrew.

jja79, how long have you owned Corkscrew?
Greeze06
AG
Damn. I want cork screw tomorrow.
Premium
AG
Get what you want.
agfan2013
AG
Had Franklin's finally last week and it was awesome. While both were excellent, I think I left more impressed by the ribs than the brisket though, those were seriously the best ribs I've ever had. Brisket was also some of the best I've had and was very similar to Black's in Lockhart. Side order of beans was very well done as well.

Would I wait in line again for 2.5 hrs? not within the next few months but if some of my friends said lets hit it again in a year or so I'd probably do it. I'm glad I can say I've tried it once but there is plenty of excellent BBQ that you dont have to wait multiple hours for.
CDub06
AG
Got a tip on Truth BBQ in Brenham a while back. Finally got to try it out. It's definitely worth a visit (I need another visit to decide between B+ and A- on my rating scale)

Tejas Chocolate Craftory has been the best new place I've visited recently (A-). And they obviously have chocolate, so my wife loved it too. Really, really cool place in Tomball.

La Barbecue hasn't missed a beat in my opinion with the new kid at the helm (Dylan Taylor). Introduced a co-worker to La Barbecue. His previous BBQ experience maxed out at Southside Market and McKenzie's in Conroe. His response: "I finally get it." He's planning to take his wife down to Corkscrew soon.

A picture of La Barbecue's spread:

Cowboy Curtis
AG
quote:
La Barbecue hasn't missed a beat in my opinion

I'd argue with you there a little bit. There is something missing that I can't put my taste buds on, but all signs point to no John Lewis and LA Mueller. Hell, even the potato salad even took a tumble. With that said I still think La Barbecue is a top 3 joint in Austin.
CDub06
AG
John Lewis has been gone for sometime. But what do you mean about LeAnne?
FredMc92
I would disagree about LA BBQ not missing a beat.

My last two visits ( February and December ) were both slightly disappointing.

In December, my pork ribs were downright cold. In February, they were luke warm, at best. My brothers and cousins all went in February and every single one of us were disappointed ( We've all been there multiple times ). Still good, but not 2 hours in line good.

On another note, but maybe related to the coldness of the food, they HAVE TO get a better system for payment. I shouldn't get my food, then stand in another line that takes another 5 minutes to pay.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
LeAnn is living in Los Angeles. Between her leadership and John's quality control the place hasn't been the same. Still a great BBQ joint, just not nipping at the heals of Franklin as it once was.
CDub06
AG
Hm, didn't know she had fled the state. I guess she's focusing on photography full-time? That means that Ali's running the show as the only mainstay left.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
3 newer joints on my radar:
-Truth BBQ in Brenham
-2M Smokehouse in Lytle
-Old 300 in Blanco
BurnetAggie99
Old 300 is good. I give it a 3.5 stars out of 5. Their best thing is Brisket. The Brisket is outstanding. They also smoke Akaushi Brisket on weekends. The normal Briskets are certified Black Angus.

I thought the other meats have a great flavor but just a tad dry. The sausage is from City Market in Schulenburg.
CDub06
AG
I posted some pics above (via Twitter) from my visit to Truth. I'll be back. B+ or A- in my book.
CDub06
AG
Oh. BBQ Bevo is open on Northgate. I'm curious, but (knowing nothing about it except the name) not hopeful.
BurnetAggie99
Also Old 300 BBQ is Aggie owned as well.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Oh. BBQ Bevo is open on Northgate. I'm curious, but (knowing nothing about it except the name) not hopeful.

I'm certainly no lawyer but I would think they might have legal issues with that name.
JR_83
<Bump>

Had some business in Granger earlier today and decided that Louie Mueller's in Taylor sounded like a good idea for lunch. Probably the best I've ever had there. Talked to pit manager and he told me that their brisket is USDA Prime.
Wicked Good Ag
quote:
quote:

I'm certainly no lawyer but I would think they might have legal issues with that name.
It is technically BBQ 13-0 not BBQ Bevo. It is a different take on BBQ imo. Not typical and sandwich based rather than plate based.

I know the owner so a little bias but it will be a love it or hate it from people who go. Traditional BBQ enthusiasts will likely have issues with it

I also think it is worth a look
jja79
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
My question is have you ever had Corkscrew?
quote:
quote:
I've never been to Franklin's so maybe it's the all time best but I've not had better than Corkscrew.

jja79, how long have you owned Corkscrew?

Just lucky enough to live 10-15 minutes away.
Ogre09
AG
Had another excellent vist to Killen's in Pearland today.

Planning on hitting up Fargo's in Bryan and Miller's in Belton this next week as I travel.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.