Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2013 BBQ list

168,026 Views | 954 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CDub06
RK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Smolik's Smokehouse - Mathis, TX

my old hood.
fav13andac1)c
AG
quote:
quote:
Smolik's Smokehouse - Mathis, TX

my old hood.

The owners are great friends with my in laws. They catered at my wedding. Love that place.
bmc13
AirplaneAg09
AG
Enjoyed scrolling through/reading this thread from the beginning. I'm partial to Lockhart joints(particularly the way they do sausage), having eaten tons of it growing up.

Having said that, it's awesome to see all the pictures people have taken from the same places on different days cause you can really tell when someone was on their game at the pit that day and vice-versa.
fishag04
AG
I know it isn't BBQ but next time you are in Smoliks give the chicken fried steak a try. It is really dang good.

[This message has been edited by fishag04 (edited 3/12/2014 10:27p).]
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Hit up McMillian's in Fannin today at lunch. Best plate of food I've had in a long time. Hell even the beans and potato salad (which I normally skip) were tremendous.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
I went to school with one of the Smoliks. Always a good time when we dropped him off after football games to the south and his dad would bring bags of jerky out to the bus!
fav13andac1)c
AG
quote:
I went to school with one of the Smoliks. Always a good time when we dropped him off after football games to the south and his dad would bring bags of jerky out to the bus!

That's awesome!
Brock Sampson
AG
Just ate at Stanley's in Tyler. Had the brisket and ribs and both were great. Potato salad was very good as was the cole slaw. Beans were subpar. Overall was a great meal!
SRBS
Best thread on TexAgs. Unfortunately I now reside in Ohio.
BSD
AG
I had John Muellers for lunch today. I was unimpressed. The sausage and pork ribs were good but the brisket was overcooked. I'll give them another try someday but La Barbecue is tomorrow (they were actually closed today so once people showed up there and saw that, they all rushed to John Muellers...luckily I beat that crowd)
FlyFish95
I love/hate these threads. Everyone has an opinion.
CDub06
AG
Lucky for you my opinion is right.

And La BBQ > John Mueller

You won't be disappointed.
BSD
AG
I had La Barbecue at the TMBBQ Fest and loved it. I am looking forward to lunch there tomorrow with massive amounts of everything this time around and not just samples. We were supposed to go today but realized early on that they were closed.
cc10106
Had Micklethwait's Craft Meats last weekend after deciding not to wait in line at Franklin. The brisket was just a little salty, but i still devoured it, along with some jalapeno pork sausage and a pork rib. The best part of the meal actually were the jalapeno cheese grits. Overall everything was very good, not great, and I will definitely try them again.
BSD
AG
La Barbecue was today. Got in line at 10:30 and was sitting an hour later. This was a great meal. The brisket was perfectly cooked and it was nice to get a short rib on the plate.

BurnetAggie99
LA BBQ is outstanding. You got Mueller BBQ and Franklin's BBQ all rolled together. LeAnn Mueller is the owner and granddaughter of Louie Mueller, John Lewis former Pit Master at Franklin's BBQ. Also free beer is a nice touch as well.
CDub06
AG
LeAnn is the antithesis of John
BSD
AG
I think John is coming around. He actually told me thanks for stopping by the other day.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Had Schmidt Family Barbecue in Bee Cave today. Damn good stuff. Looking forward to going back soon.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
**** a duck...you have to wait in line for an hour now for La BBQ?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
quote:
Had Schmidt Family Barbecue in Bee Cave today. Damn good stuff. Looking forward to going back soon.

I've been 3x and have never had an even decent meal...I hope your post is true and they have finally gotten their **** together.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I enjoyed it much more than my last trip to la barbecue, if that means anything. Maybe I caught them on a good day.
el aggie
AG
I've been to Schmidt once and it was very good stuff all around.
Mr_mo8268
AG
Stanley's in Tyler has great BBQ. If you are in that region Drive over to Kilgore and go to the Country Tavern, only order ribs, they are incredible
CDub06
AG
Country Tavern is one of the few places I actually order sides at. I like their potato casserole.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Stood in line at Franklin's today but the rest of my party weren't expecting to have to wait as long as I had been telling them, so I ended up being the odd man out. Oh well, we'll come back another day.

We ended up heading back to Dallas and stopping at Ellis County BBQ. Pretty underwhelming meats, but the sides and skillet desserts were good though.
Objective Aggie
AG
Was in downtown Dallas and forgot to go to Pecan Lodge. Dangit. Went to Lockhart instead.

[This message has been edited by Objective Aggie (edited 4/3/2014 11:08a).]
CDub06
AG
No worries. I prefer Lockhart to Pecan Lodge anyway.
BMX Bandit
Do you have to get to La Barbeque early on a week day?
BurnetAggie99
Yes one must get in line early to eat at LA BBQ.
Quinn
AG
quote:
No worries. I prefer Lockhart to Pecan Lodge anyway.

Surprised to see Lockhart above PL with all the love that BBQ snob and TM give PL. I've had PL and it was very good, but haven't had Lockhart, so I will need to try it next time I'm home. BBQ on the Brazos is another one I'm itching to try.
CDub06
AG
BBQ on the Brazos was a surprising find. Very good BBQ at a secluded gas station. The brisket is gorgeous.

You do not have to get to La BBQ "Franklin early." They usually sell out at about 1:30. In my experience, you can get there at 11:00 and not have a problem. I have been on Fridays and not had to wait more than 30 minutes.*

*Individual results may vary. Offer not valid outside the great State of Texas. Please consult your doctor before beginning a BBQ diet.
BSD
AG
The Friday that I went to La Barbecue, we got there at 10:30 and were eating by 11:30. We were about #35 in line upon arrival. After that, the line was down the block to 6th St pretty much the whole time we were there. The day before they were closed for cleaning/updating and I saw a line there on my way to John Muellers and then suddenly Muellers got really packed...I guess they all came over once they figured it out. The Friday line that I was in may have been some of those people that normally would have been there Thursday. Plus it may have been spring break for some people. Your results may vary.
Bock for Breakfast
AG
I live in Dallas and I would say that Pecan Lodge is ever so slightly better than Lockhart. The difference is I can get Lockhart, which is fantastic, after waiting 10 minutes in line. Pecan Lodge is 1 hour minimum.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.