Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2013 BBQ list

168,248 Views | 954 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CDub06
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Corkscrew probably has my favorite pulled pork too. I always encourage people to try it - it will recalibrate your expectations.

I hit 2M in San Antonio on Saturday. Grade A quality BBQ across the full menu. We were 2nd in line at 10:30. The line was 40+ at opening. The secret is out.

B-Daddy's in San Antonio and Nelsons in NW San Antonio were VERY disappointing.
CDub06
AG
Oh and I had Coopers in Llano for lunch. O.G. BBQ - they're still killing it.
Ag MD 84
AG
Do you think 2M makes TXMBBQ top 50 list? If yes, how high on the list? How does it rank on your list?
jja79
AG
Did you get brisket? It's the best thing he cooks.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Never heard of b daddys or the other one

2M is known here in Saytown
agcrock2005
AG
CDub06 said:

Oh and I had Coopers in Llano for lunch. O.G. BBQ - they're still killing it.
Place has always been either incredible or incredibly overpriced for me. When they're on, they're on. That pork chop is the ***** Really want to learn how to make those.
agfan2013
AG
Ag MD 84 said:

Do you think 2M makes TXMBBQ top 50 list? If yes, how high on the list? How does it rank on your list?

According to a different message board I read, it won't because it hasn't been open for a full year which is a requirement for Texas monthly to make their list. That being said, most of the reviews from the place that I've seen would suggest that it is top 50 even if it doesn't make their list due to a technicality.
CDub06
AG
RIght, as the previous reply states - they're sticklers for the rule that a place must be in business for a year to make the top 50. That said, it's going to get some sort of Honorable Mention in next month's release. It's definitely top 50 for me, along with Guess Family Barbecue from last weekend.
CDub06
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Never heard of b daddys or the other one

2M is known here in Saytown

B Daddy's landed on my to do list when he was getting positive reviews as a food truck. He later got aggressive on twitter, @ing various people, including Daniel Vaughn claiming he had the best Barbecue in the state, even calling out Aaron Franklin. It turns out, he was overvaluing his skill.

2M had been on my radar since Esaul announced his new venture. This was my first chance to try it out. Wanted to get in before it becomes a Barbecue destination. It's well on its way.
JR_83
Made it over to John Mueller's Black Box BBQ last Saturday. He hasn't lost a step at all. Brisket, spare ribs and sausage were off the charts. And if you're having to wait in line, he'll even bring you a cold Lone Star.
agcrock2005
AG
JR_83 said:

Made it over to John Mueller's Black Box BBQ last Saturday. He hasn't lost a step at all. Brisket, spare ribs and sausage were off the charts. And if you're having to wait in line, he'll even bring you a cold Lone Star.
Does he drink one bud lite for every beer he gives away?
JR_83
One other important detail: it's (currently) only open Friday-Sunday from 10:30 till they sell out.
army01
AG
JR_83 said:

One other important detail: it's (currently) only open Friday-Sunday from 10:30 till they sell out.

I wish him the best, but I'm done giving him money. I'll go see his brother or sister instead.
agcrock2005
AG
I ate at Cattleack in Dallas today for lunch and I would be incredibly surprised if it were not in the top 10 next month. I know I may have been on a good day, but what we just ate was #2 on my list, just behind Franklin's.

Moist brisket was rendered very well and still juicy. Ribs were perfectly cooked (not fall off the bone) and had a lot of pepper which I liked. Jalapeno cheese sausage had good flavor and definitely had a kick to it. Good texture too. Mac & cheese and Jalapeno cheese grits were both outstanding. The grits were right there with the ones Micklethwait serves. I went into this place thinking I would be incredibly overwhelmed, but after waiting for 35 minutes after getting in line at 10:50, I was very pleased. Very good.

Only complaint is they need to figure out how to make the line move more quickly.
ILikeTacos
AG
agcrock2005 said:

I ate at Cattleack in Dallas today for lunch and I would be incredibly surprised if it were not in the top 10 next month. I know I may have been on a good day, but what we just ate was #2 on my list, just behind Franklin's.

Moist brisket was rendered very well and still juicy. Ribs were perfectly cooked (not fall off the bone) and had a lot of pepper which I liked. Jalapeno cheese sausage had good flavor and definitely had a kick to it. Good texture too. Mac & cheese and Jalapeno cheese grits were both outstanding. The grits were right there with the ones Micklethwait serves. I went into this place thinking I would be incredibly overwhelmed, but after waiting for 35 minutes after getting in line at 10:50, I was very pleased. Very good.

Only complaint is they need to figure out how to make the line move more quickly.
Yeah they need a double cut situation. I am glad to hear someone else enjoyed it as much as I did.
CDub06
AG
I gotta get to Cattleack soon!! I hit Pinkerton's today - Burnt Ends Thursday!
OregonAggie
AG
CDub06 said:

Man I've been trying to hit up Cattleack the last 2 weeks but my schedule keeps getting messed up.

On a side note, I noticed you haven't been to Buzzies in Kerrville and I'd love to see what you think of that place if you ever make it down there. I went there last summer and thought it was phenomenal.

I like the amount of information you put on the reviews by the way!
agcrock2005
AG
OregonAggie said:

CDub06 said:

Man I've been trying to hit up Cattleack the last 2 weeks but my schedule keeps getting messed up.
FYI: There was about a 25 minute line at 10:45 on Thursday. Man that place was really good.
CDub06
AG
I was just in Kerrville last week. But it was a Monday. Buzzie's and The Original Willie's in Alamo are the two from the last Top 50 that I just haven't been able to make work with my travel schedule.

I've been near both in the last month, but ended up at Cooper's in Llano and Rio Grande Grill in Harlingen instead...
agfan2013
AG
Just had Truth in Brenham for the first time today. Very good and lived up to expectations, had the brisket and pork ribs. Ribs had maybe just a hair too much pepper but were still very good, brisket was great.

And kind of random but while standing in line I overheard a guy behind me saying someone told him Aaron Franklin pays his nighttime pit master 6 figures. Don't know if I believed that.

Stive
AG
It wouldn't surprise me at all if he pays one of the most important people six figures at one of the most notorious joints in Texas.
Jock 07
AG
Just FYI, if anyone tells you to check out jack stack when you're in KC don't listen. Place is extremely overrated.
Tanya 93
Jock 07 said:

Just FYI, if anyone tells you to check out jack stack when you're in KC don't listen. Place is extremely overrated.

Everyone knows you go to Joe's KC BBQ.

CDub06
AG
Jock 07 said:

Whoa there pardner. I've been to Jack Stack twice and was thoroughly impressed. It's all about the burnt ends and beef ribs.
Jock 07
AG
CDub06 said:

Jock 07 said:

Whoa there pardner. I've been to Jack Stack twice and was thoroughly impressed. It's all about the burnt ends and beef ribs.

That's exactly what I got and there wasn't anything burnt about the burnt ends
AggieStout
AG
Stive said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he pays one of the most important people six figures at one of the most notorious joints in Texas.

Yeah for the amount of trust you would place in the night time guy to be on point everyday. I would think its well deserved
Quinn
AG
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10212923702353161&id=1408592539
agcrock2005
AG
Quinn said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10212923702353161&id=1408592539
I'd be pretty surprised if Franklin's isn't #1 still. That being said, I've had some damn good bbq in the last couple years from some folks that aren't in the Top 50 from 2013.
agfan2013
AG
According to twitter, one of the editors for TX monthly said it will be out on Monday!

Looking forward to the new list, comparing to places I've been and then planning places I need to go. Kinda hoping there isnt a new #1 as I feel like no matter how ridiculous the wait, I have to try the top spot at least once.
CDub06
AG
There should not be a NEW #1 - unless they just want to drum up controversy and get people talking. With how emotional people get about this stuff, there is already a lot of built in drama without having to manufacture more.

EDIT: It seems I left out a rather important word. My bad
Quinn
AG
Maybe not, but you know there will be. It will also be interesting to see if they do a top tier like they did last time, and if so, how many places are listed in that tier.
agfan2013
AG
CDub06 said:

There should not be a #1
Agreed, but you covered exactly why there will most likely be a #1 spot with your next comment.

Quote:

unless they just want to drum up controversy and get people talking

They want to create a buzz around their article and get people talking about it, then more people see it.

I'd be fine with just a top 50 and then a top tier of 5 or 10. But I doubt they go with just that.
CDub06
AG
Ooops. I meant a New #1 - Edited. The answer is still Franklin.
Quinn
AG
CDub06 said:

Ooops. I meant a New #1 - Edited. The answer is still Franklin.
Have you had them recently? I still haven't ever heard any backlash against them (besides the line), which is kind of amazing. I haven't had Franklin since Fall 2014 - need to make it back there sometime in 2017.
OregonAggie
AG
With all the new BBQ places that have popped up in the last few years, I'm curious how the list will change. There's definitely a few I've been to from the last list that were very underwhelming:

Bobs BBQ in Henderson
Bartleys in Grapevine
Billy's in Jasper

Also curious which ones in Dallas/Ft Worth make it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.