Astros/Rangers Discussion - NO MODS ALLOWED

111,091 Views | 1589 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Ciboag96
Hornbeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marvin said:

Greatest one-hit wonders...

Come on, Eileen
Tainted Love
My Sharona
2023 Texas Rangers

You forgot "Video Killed the Radio Star", but I see where you're going, and agree 100%
Marvin
AG
Hornbeck said:

Marvin said:

Come on, Eileen
Tainted Love
My Sharona
2023 Texas Rangers

You forgot "Video Killed the Radio Star", but I see where you're going, and agree 100%

I'm kicking myself for not adding Barry Switzer to the list.
jetch17
AG

AgEngr12
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I have never met anyone outside of Rangers fans the reference all time head to head record. It's so completely ridiculous yet completely on brand.
I mean......sips
Just gotta execute
tjack16
AG
AgEngr12 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I have never met anyone outside of Rangers fans the reference all time head to head record. It's so completely ridiculous yet completely on brand.
I mean......sips

Arkansas fans too
Ciboag96
Help me All Time Record, you're my only hope

South Platte
Would now be a good time to remind Houston that they've never beaten Texas in a playoff series?

Will 1-0 hold up under a heated cross-examination??
South Platte
Marvin said:

Hornbeck said:

Marvin said:

Come on, Eileen
Tainted Love
My Sharona
2023 Texas Rangers

I'm kicking myself for not adding Barry Switzer to the list.
Easy, easy camel cowboy. You're going to call out Switzer? Son of a bootlegger, 3X national champion? One of the coolest guys to walk the planet?
RO519
AG
Wow. What a great record! I'm super impressed!!!!!

Seems like one teams been in the post season a LOT here in the past few years and one had the stars align on their only trip deep enough to face the Astros.
Farmer1906
AG
Does it feel like a mistake to not trade away the 8 guys who are free agents this offseason?
Silent For Too Long
Saw a fun little graph today that had team ERA on one axis and team OPS on the other, going back to the all star break.

The only team worse then Arlington in the ****ty at both quadrant was the White Sox. So you guys got that going for you.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Farm System Rankings

28. Astros
29. Rangers

gigem1223
Weird what happens when all your top prospects get called up over the past couple seasons….

This list also doesn't include Rocker or Teodo who are both lighting up AA ball. They'll both be in the top 50 when the next rankings drop.
Farmer1906
AG
This ranking dropped a few days ago.

Are any of the top guy called up doing anything?
JohnnyTexAg1995
gigem1223 said:

Weird what happens when all your top prospects get called up over the past couple seasons….

This list also doesn't include Rocker or Teodo who are both lighting up AA ball. They'll both be in the top 50 when the next rankings drop.
people have been saying this about the Astros farm for years, meanwhile they just keep calling up MLB ready prospects.
tjack16
AG
Remember when it was said on the trash talk thread that 7 straight ALCS wasn't that big of a deal?

Well seems like just making back to back playoffs might be tougher for some
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

Remember when it was said on the trash talk thread that 7 straight ALCS wasn't that big of a deal?

Well seems like just making back to back playoffs might be tougher for some

I think you mean "just finishing above .500 back to back might be tougher for some"
gigem1223
Farmer1906 said:

This ranking dropped a few days ago.

Are any of the top guy called up doing anything?

Carter is out for the year, Langford has been up and down as one would expect his rookie year and Jung is really good when healthy.
gigem1223
Count me out of that convo. The Astros run is very impressive.

As for the Rangers, I'm not sure if it's Boch's typical every other year suck deal or if it's just too many injuries to overcome or a mix of both.
TarponChaser
gigem1223 said:

As for the Rangers, I'm not sure if it's Boch's typical every other year suck deal or if it's just too many injuries to overcome or a mix of both.

And the Astros haven't had, and still have, major holes due to injuries this year? JV, Tucker, Garca, LMJ, and so on.
gigem1223
Where did I say they didn't? What the astros have overcome is impressive but they haven't had to deal with as many injuries as the Rangers.
AustinCountyAg
gigem1223 said:

Where did I say they didn't? What the astros have overcome is impressive but they haven't had to deal with as many injuries as the Rangers.
WRONG
fullback44
AG
TarponChaser said:

gigem1223 said:

And the Astros haven't had, and still have, major holes due to injuries this year? JV, Tucker, Garca, LMJ, and so on.
Don't forget starting pitchers Christian Javier and Jose Urquidy… that's 5 starting pitchers that will most likely be on the field next year (Lance M may be done .. who knows )…. Add in Brown, Framber Valdez, and Blonco and our starters and pen will be one of the top stating rotations and middle relief in the league
gigem1223
AustinCountyAg said:

gigem1223 said:

WRONG

No it's not. The rangers lead the AL in war lost to the IL and it's really not that close.
Farmer1906
AG
gigem1223 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

gigem1223 said:

WRONG

No it's not. The rangers lead the AL in war lost to the IL and it's really not that close.

WAR based on what? 2023 WAR? Career WAR?
gigem1223
I'd read an article a few week ago about it from last month that explains the ranking from fangraphs.

https://neilpaine.substack.com/p/the-dodgers-have-been-mlbs-most-injured
fullback44
AG
Arlingtons 3-7 last 10…. 4-12 last 16 games …, That's not the umps fault
Mathguy64
AG
That article was from June 18. So it basically misses all of Tucker and JV being out.

In short, it's out of date. Badly.
gigem1223
That means it out of date for the rangers too….. who have accumulated more since
Mathguy64
AG
But since that date you had Max come back (I know he's back out but he did pitch some) and Jung came back. So those "losses" stop adding to missed WAR. And the Tucker and JV losses aren't being added in at all.

I'm not saying who is worse now, but I'm betting an updated data set would show it a lot closer than it was June 18. Tucker alone may be a missed WAR of 2.4 or more based on where he was at the time he went down and the amount of missed time
Marvin
AG
gigem1223 said:

That means it out of date for the rangers too….. who have accumulated more since

How much of that is deGrom? You guys knew he would be out, sort of like LMJ for the Astros. Not the same impact, but both teams had time to adjust in the offseason. Not sure I give as much benefit of the doubt on that point.

In season, you've had Max, Jung, Carter. Not sure who else as I don't know the roster. It needs to be more to compare to Verlander, Tucker, Urquidy, and Javier. And, I didn't include Garcia, Murfee, or Graveman for the same reason as LMJ or deGrom.

Not trying to get into an excuse contest. Just pointing out that Houston's had their share as well, plus it seems a bit disingenuous to include someone already known from the beginning to be out for most of the year.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
gigem1223
Agreed it's probably tightened up since the article. I honestly couldn't even post a list of all the games missed, nor do I really care to. I was just making a point as to potential reasons as to why the rangers are struggling. And no I'm not saying that's the whole reason. IMO the biggest reason is we've had a HUGE drop off in slug for whatever reason.
TarponChaser
gigem1223 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

gigem1223 said:

WRONG

WAR isn't a real stat no matter what some try to claim.
Farmer1906
AG
TarponChaser said:

gigem1223 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

gigem1223 said:

WRONG

WAR isn't a real stat no matter what some try to claim.

So it's not a piece of data from study of a large quantity of numerical data?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.