Astros/Rangers Discussion - NO MODS ALLOWED

115,692 Views | 1665 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by GoAgs11
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How'd everyone do today?

Farmer1906
AG
Pretty good. The As aren't about to catch my squad.
Mathguy64
AG
0.2%. I get it. Repeating to make the playoffs is just hard. Hardly anyone does it 2 years in a row anymore.
Marvin
AG
LeagueCityAg said:

It sure is quiet in here right now…

Here's another good one by recently departed Ranger fan. I think this one was when the Astros fell to 12 games below 500, which… checks notes… is where Arlington is tonight. What a shame.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Marvin
AG
Mathguy64 said:

0.2%. I get it. Repeating to make the playoffs is just hard. Hardly anyone does it 2 years in a row anymore.

Easy, the Rangers are just tired. All those playoff games spread over one October will really do a number on the body.
tjack16
AG
Marvin said:

Mathguy64 said:

Easy, the Rangers are just tired. All those playoff games spread over one October will really do a number on the body.

Careful… one of the rangers fans will try to hurt our feelings with the Adolis Garcia homerun gif
girlfriend_experience
Speaking of Gracia look what happens to your production when you stop taking roids funny isnt?
Chrundle the Great
AG
When the .2% hits 0.0 can staff delete the "title defense" from their season thread name?

Might have to go back a page by that point.
BadAggie
AG

[You are not going to use that phrase on this website. -Staff]

Marvin
AG
BadAggie said:

Not sure what I missed, but I'm guessing some fans from up north flagged a response? They won't eat their crow but they'll snipe a post. On brand, I guess.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Marvin said:

BadAggie said:

Not sure what I missed, but I'm guessing some fans from up north flagged a response? They won't eat their crow but they'll snipe a post. On brand, I guess.
The phrase was "Rangers dynasty" - Staff hates blasphemy.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
girlfriend_experience
BadAggie said:

bunch of babies always flagging posts so glad their season is in the toilet nice title defense.
Hornbeck
AG
Rangerettes dont like being reminded that their team is trash.

Noted.
yell_on_6th st
AG
How's the title defense going?
Mathguy64
AG
yell_on_6th st said:

How's the title defense going?

The Miami Marlins 3.0 fans aren't awake yet. They are all hung over from that big cowboys preseason win.
AlwaysNextYear89
AG
I did a little deep dive over the course of this "Golden Era" (2015-present), and it's interesting:
  • Rangers will be 4th WS winner to not reach postseason the following year (Royals and Nationals have not been back since they won in '15 and '19 respectively)...if, somehow, they pull off the miraculous, I will come back and acknowledge the mistake of my assumption, unlike others on this thread
  • The Dodgers are the only team to have made the playoffs every year, but are a little short of the Astros as far as playoff success goes
  • I came up with a numerical system, awarding 1 point for WC appearance, 2 for DS, 3 for LCS, 4 for WS, and 5 for champ (with a team just getting points for farthest accomplishment)...Astros are at 29, Dodgers 27, and no one else is close...bottom line is that sustained playoff success is HARD, so we 'Stros fans really need to appreciate what we have got
  • 2 teams have not been to the playoffs at all during this run, and their streaks will continue: the Tigers and Angels
  • I am sure the baseball nerd in me will expand my chart to allow myself to compare and see how this run compares with others in the Modern Era (since division play started in '69)
Ciboag96
LeagueCityAg said:

Whole lotta living in the past right now from Astros fans in this thread. I thought that was DFW's thing?

South Platte
At this point in the season, this is how we spend our evenings.

Mr Gigem
AG
Speak for yourself
Silent For Too Long
South Platte said:

At this point in the season, this is how we spend our evenings.

Maybe that's why I haven't touched my 40k models since 2016...
Ciboag96
bearkatag15 said:

AgsWin2011 said:

These posts never backfire... never
Never
Mathguy64
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Not an Astros fan, but I'll chime in. I was already drafting an analysis...

The 4 main issues I see:

Espada doesn't have the experience and wisdom to put together the team. As my boss (Cards fan) says about what he believes is a horrible manager in St.L "The manager manages egos not the lineup card. Any player can fill out the lineup card." Can Espada get everyone headed in the right direction? We'll see.

Lack of depth. Limited prospects and players to draw from in their minors. Injuries are a part of the game. You have to prepare for it and if you don't the problem isn't injuries... it is your inability/unwillingness to prepare for them.

Yanier Diaz. Hitting to a Catcher is what filling out the lineup card is to a manager. I don't know Diaz, but you look at the P struggles and I have to believe he isn't handling the staff well. This may sound dumb, but the fact he is hitting well, likely tells you that he isn't spending enough time on the Pitchers. He has to study the hitters of the day along with the SP and 7+/- RPs and how each should approach the hitter. AND... he needs the P to have the trust in him.

Team talent. I was rooting on the idea of Snell to the Astros and was elated Hader signed. Even more excited at $19M. Without the prospects and now having spent their load... The Astros are kinda stuck fixing things. I had said having Hader and Pressly would be meaningless if the Astros are behind in games.

Chris Young's 1st real move as GM was to court Bochy and bring him in.

Chris Young inserted talent through FA which allowed our minors to build prospects. Inserting Seager and Semien meant Duran, Smith, and Foscue were not starters. Signing Eovaldi, Heaney, Gray, deGrom, allowed guys like Bradford, Dunning, Leiter, et al, to spend more time developing without rushing them.

As much as I wanted CY to sign Monty, the right thing to do was split that money among several players. We're paying Mahle $5.5M and Lorenzen like $4.5M. Monty was expected to get $25M. We now have $15M at the trade deadline we can spend if neither Mahle nor Lorenzen work out.

The big question for Astros fans is... Are Espada and Yanier the guys that can turn the team in the right direction?! If the fans are losing confidence, you can be assured those doubts will creep into the clubhouse. Was signing Hader to $19M a red flag to guys like Pressly, Tucker, and Bregman that it is time to move on?!

For 2025:
CBT for MLB at: $241M
Astros CBT at: $149M
That leaves $92M

I believe JV has an Opt for $36M. 1/2 by Houston? Which is better to keep or him walk?!
Pressly has an Option for $14M. You want him back for $14M?!

Arbs:
Valdez ($12M in '24) <- Likely goes up
Tucker ($12M in '24) <- Likely goes up

If the Arbs are flat, you're looking at $56M of the $92 (Net $36M)
Now add your other Arbs and Serfs

FA: Bregman ($30M?)

I think the Hader signing, as would have been Snell, likely rippled through the team and I can't imagine it was taken well. You don't have the cheap minor league prospect/talent to infuse and there are many holes to fill not just in '24... but in '25. And you don't have them to trade.

If this team continues to struggle, you're likely going to see the trade deadline fire-sell.

And another take made while waaaaayyyy out over his skis.
BadAggie
AG
Maybe Aroidis missed a dose?

Mathguy64
AG
agent-maroon said:

Aggies2009 said:

Are the Astros the best 12-22 team in baseball? I think so.

Going to have to wait until they can show some separation from the Angels before making such a bold proclamation.
And another bit of gold from the past.

Yeah I think being in 1st place, 13 games over .500, 11 games over our northern buddies and 15.5 games over the Angels is enough separation.
agent-maroon
AG
Mathguy64 said:

agent-maroon said:

Aggies2009 said:

Are the Astros the best 12-22 team in baseball? I think so.

Going to have to wait until they can show some separation from the Angels before making such a bold proclamation.
And another bit of gold from the past.

Yeah I think being in 1st place, 13 games over .500, 11 games over our northern buddies and 15.5 games over the Angels is enough separation.

[We made it clear that we would leave this thread alone but that we would not ignore posting violations. -Staff.]

[Thank you to the posters that flagged this post. -Staff]
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mathguy64
AG

[Quoting an inappropriate post is the same as making the post. -Staff]
agent-maroon
AG
Yeah, I get it. No reason you would know or care, but I've more or less missed the season recovering from some medical issues. Get me on the wrong side of my meds and every time I reach into my bag of clever retorts all I can pull out is "Eff you". Seriously, I thought that the astros and mariners were trading the division lead on a nightly basis. Honestly surprised that you guys are pulling away like you are.

No hard feelings (I hope). Didn't see any of this coming back in May.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Silent For Too Long
It's a **** talking thread, bro. I sincerely hope nobody here takes anything said personally. I mean, outside of owning a terrible take as a terrible take. But that's just being an adult.

I truly hope you are recovering from whatever ails you. God knows your baseball team isn't going to anytime soon.
Silent For Too Long
Mathguy64 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Not an Astros fan, but I'll chime in. I was already drafting an analysis...

The 4 main issues I see:

Espada doesn't have the experience and wisdom to put together the team. As my boss (Cards fan) says about what he believes is a horrible manager in St.L "The manager manages egos not the lineup card. Any player can fill out the lineup card." Can Espada get everyone headed in the right direction? We'll see.

Lack of depth. Limited prospects and players to draw from in their minors. Injuries are a part of the game. You have to prepare for it and if you don't the problem isn't injuries... it is your inability/unwillingness to prepare for them.

Yanier Diaz. Hitting to a Catcher is what filling out the lineup card is to a manager. I don't know Diaz, but you look at the P struggles and I have to believe he isn't handling the staff well. This may sound dumb, but the fact he is hitting well, likely tells you that he isn't spending enough time on the Pitchers. He has to study the hitters of the day along with the SP and 7+/- RPs and how each should approach the hitter. AND... he needs the P to have the trust in him.

Team talent. I was rooting on the idea of Snell to the Astros and was elated Hader signed. Even more excited at $19M. Without the prospects and now having spent their load... The Astros are kinda stuck fixing things. I had said having Hader and Pressly would be meaningless if the Astros are behind in games.

Chris Young's 1st real move as GM was to court Bochy and bring him in.

Chris Young inserted talent through FA which allowed our minors to build prospects. Inserting Seager and Semien meant Duran, Smith, and Foscue were not starters. Signing Eovaldi, Heaney, Gray, deGrom, allowed guys like Bradford, Dunning, Leiter, et al, to spend more time developing without rushing them.

As much as I wanted CY to sign Monty, the right thing to do was split that money among several players. We're paying Mahle $5.5M and Lorenzen like $4.5M. Monty was expected to get $25M. We now have $15M at the trade deadline we can spend if neither Mahle nor Lorenzen work out.

The big question for Astros fans is... Are Espada and Yanier the guys that can turn the team in the right direction?! If the fans are losing confidence, you can be assured those doubts will creep into the clubhouse. Was signing Hader to $19M a red flag to guys like Pressly, Tucker, and Bregman that it is time to move on?!

For 2025:
CBT for MLB at: $241M
Astros CBT at: $149M
That leaves $92M

I believe JV has an Opt for $36M. 1/2 by Houston? Which is better to keep or him walk?!
Pressly has an Option for $14M. You want him back for $14M?!

Arbs:
Valdez ($12M in '24) <- Likely goes up
Tucker ($12M in '24) <- Likely goes up

If the Arbs are flat, you're looking at $56M of the $92 (Net $36M)
Now add your other Arbs and Serfs

FA: Bregman ($30M?)

I think the Hader signing, as would have been Snell, likely rippled through the team and I can't imagine it was taken well. You don't have the cheap minor league prospect/talent to infuse and there are many holes to fill not just in '24... but in '25. And you don't have them to trade.

If this team continues to struggle, you're likely going to see the trade deadline fire-sell.

And another take made while waaaaayyyy out over his skis.

An Arlington fan called DA their Cliff Clavin and I honestly can't think of a better moniker.

Turns out Diaz is just fine with the P. And Caratini has turned Kukuchi's P into Ace level P.

Oh, and they both are plus hitters relative to their position. I guess some clubs CAN have their cake and eat it, too. Only the competently run ones, though.
Mathguy64
AG
No worries.

I wouldn't be talking **** if I couldn't take it back. In a thread like this you have to have thicker skin.

Now go get your shine box.
fullback44
AG

[Quoting an obscene post is the same as making the post and you are out of short bans for this violation. -Staff]
All I do is Nguyen
Mathguy64 said:

[Quoting an inappropriate post is the same as making the post. -Staff]
Question for staff: if we simply reply to the post is that okay? Also if someone quotes a post BEFORE it's been removed shouldn't go against the poster quoting the offending post. Remove the quoted post or course but hopefully mathguy wasn't punished
jkag89
Oops. Good thing I did not have the Rangers thread open.
Marvin
AG
Good gracious.
South Platte
Ouch. Surprised fullback44 got sniper rifled. He's not an over the top putz, at least not on this thread.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.