Astros/Rangers Discussion - NO MODS ALLOWED

43,501 Views | 862 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by jkag89
agent-maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Disappointed that the benches didn't clear last night? Or is Saturday night alright for fighting?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jkag89

A bench clearing brawl might just be what the Astros need to get out of their funk.
JWinTX
tjack16 said:

I'm an Astros fan and don't think Adolis is on steroids. Most of us don't actually think he is. A lot of the comments I'm seeing seem tongue in cheek and not serious.

He's just strong and good at hitting the baseball. Also I don't hate him or the rangers for last year's ALCS. It was one playoff series. Yes it was a BIG series… but so were every other ALCS we've been to the last 7 years. We also got beat by the Rays, and Red Sox in the ALCS in recent years. I don't hate them either. I'm more mad at the fact the Astros couldn't win a home game than I am that we lost to the Rangers. It could have been against the Orioles and I'd still feel just as mad.

Astros vs Rangers is a good rivalry which is fun for the state. Astros owned it from 2017-2022 in a big way, and the Rangers owned it in the end in 2023. And I think yall are trending in a better direction than we are right now this year too.

Great post. I agree with you 100%. The Astros will get their wheels back on soon enough. Maybe even tonight. But no matter what, this is elevating MLB in this state to levels we have never enjoyed. And given how much football and basketball has mattered over the decades, it's nice to see our favorite pro sport finally getting great fan and media attention in this state.
tjack16
AG
agent-maroon said:

Disappointed that the benches didn't clear last night? Or is Saturday night alright for fighting?

I think they will either tonight or tomorrow. All it takes is one high and inside pitch to Garcia or Semien. Lord only knows what will happen if Abreu throws in to Garcia
West Roxbury
The only team I truly "hate" is the Yankees. Manfred's golden goose. Protected class.

Everything they do is so overhyped by the East coast media. Both winning or losing. It's either they are the best team in baseball history or they are trash. Individual players are overhyped. And you hear about them all the time.

I tip my cap to the Rangers. Built the right way. Seager is such a great foundation for other younger guys. A true pro. Draft well and you will be well.

I don't like my Stros losing to in-state rival, and game 6 really stung as did losing so much at home (just like the WS against the Nationals) but I find it real hard to hate the Rangers.
LeagueCityAg
AG

West Roxbury
Hey, you'd run too if you were 5 feet nothing! Love me some Altuve. Modest, good guy for the clubhouse and his teammates respect him.
DallasAg 94
Like many in DFW who grew up loving baseball, the Astros were our favorite NL team, so the idea of a "rivalry" was never ingrained.

I said this on the Astros off-season thread and I think it cost me a ban (might have been another post during the same time), I would love if the AL Pennant had to come through Texas every year.

The Media and MLB would hate not having the Yankees and/or Boston, but if the Rangers and Astros continue to make the right moves, it will force them to Texas (the state).

The WS last year was branded as the least watched WS. The purpose was for them to show fans were disinterested in the Rangers (and DBacks). However, what it showed was that the MEDIA was not interested. Fans voted in 6 Rangers All-Stars.

A Rangers-Astros ALCS every year would be just fine by me.
tjack16
AG
My dad is a huge rangers fan from growing up in the Austin area. I grew up in Houston so of course it was astros for me.

The rangers were always a team I didn't mind rooting for since we were in the NL, but then of course as soon as we became division rivals that stopped. Never really had any negative feeling towards the rangers until last year and it's not "hate". As an Astros fan I hate the Yankees most, and then second is the Dodgers and Cardinals (nemesis of my childhood). Followed by them is the Rangers and Mariners in the "dislike" category

Like I said earlier I wasn't mad that yall beat us in the ALCS… I was mad that the Astros blew an opportunity that big and couldn't close it out at home in really uncompetitive fashion. It could have been to the orioles or rays and I'd still have the same feeling. Whoever won game 7 of the ALCS was going to easily beat the DBacks in the World Series.
The Porkchop Express
tjack16 said:

I'm an Astros fan and don't think Adolis is on steroids. Most of us don't actually think he is. A lot of the comments I'm seeing seem tongue in cheek and not serious.

He's just strong and good at hitting the baseball. Also I don't hate him or the rangers for last year's ALCS. It was one playoff series. Yes it was a BIG series… but so were every other ALCS we've been to the last 7 years. We also got beat by the Rays, and Red Sox in the ALCS in recent years. I don't hate them either. I'm more mad at the fact the Astros couldn't win a home game than I am that we lost to the Rangers. It could have been against the Orioles and I'd still feel just as mad.

Astros vs Rangers is a good rivalry which is fun for the state. Astros owned it from 2017-2022 in a big way, and the Rangers owned it in the end in 2023. And I think yall are trending in a better direction than we are right now this year too.

I'm an Astro fan and I think everyone who has ever played for the Rangers took steroids unless they also played for the Astros at some point. So that clears Berkman, Nolan, Pudge, Buddy Bell, Incaviglia, and a few others.

I also think whoever designed your stadium was taking either coke or some really bad pcp when they thought that was a good design.

Also, after going to 4 games at Arlington Stadium as a kid when the temp was over 103, I think whoever decided the ballpark shouldn't have a roof should be charged with treason

I also can't believe you guys let Sierra and bobby witt go for canseco.

DallasAg 94
The Porkchop Express said:

tjack16 said:

I'm an Astro fan and I think everyone who has ever played for the Rangers took steroids unless they also played for the Astros at some point. So that clears Berkman, Nolan, Pudge, Buddy Bell, Incaviglia, and a few others.
Carlos Beltran?!

Quote:

I also think whoever designed your stadium was taking either coke or some really bad pcp when they thought that was a good design.

I think they probably watching an Astros game and then went to a Home Depot and thought... "Wow... if I designed MMP like a Home Depot, they'll never see the resemblance." As much as I dislike the outside... I dislike the inside even more. Seats point to top of 2nd base dirt, where as RBiA were pointed to the Pitchers mound. If you sit natural in GLF... you'll be looking at the top of 2B dirt.

Bathrooms, concourse, food are all designed for steady traffic as opposed to the natural focused traffic of baseball. In baseball, fans get up during breaks between half-innings and so you get a flood of patrons. For concerts and other sports, you see a more steady flow. We spent 2 IP getting dogs because anything else would have been 3-4 IP missed. It was something RBiA was designed to address. We went backwards.

You shouldn't miss a full IP waiting in line for the bathroom.

There are pinch points in the concourse that funnel traffic into a mess.

My 1st game during Covid I said they'd need to make $150-200M in changes to the park just based on the limited attendance they allowed during Covid. IMO, the stadium is a cash-cow but a disaster logistically. Except the AC.

Quote:

Also, after going to 4 games at Arlington Stadium as a kid when the temp was over 103, I think whoever decided the ballpark shouldn't have a roof should be charged with treason

For all they did in designing and architecting RBiA... that was a huge miss. Unforgiveable... and so now, we pay. We get the roof but it looks like a grill and is a Special Events center, not a baseball park.

Quote:

I also can't believe you guys let Sierra and bobby witt go for canseco.
And Jeff Russell. And Cash. But, I bet the Canseco header for a HR is watched more and remembered more than anything we gave up.
fc2112

Silent For Too Long
Jack Ruby said:

Silent For Too Long said:

Nice W Arlington Roid Ragers.

See you dorks tomorrow. Hopefully we can scratch out a single win in this series since yall are totally our World Series, Final Four, Superbowl, Indy 500, and Moon Landing all rolled into 1.

We really, really care about your franchise that had done nothing of note until 9 months ago.

Why do Astros fans get all uppity and purport themselves as one of the most storied franchises in baseball? Take away the trashcans, and Houston hadn't done jack sh** until a couple of years ago too.

Also, keep speaking the roid thing into existence. Tell a lie enough times, eventually it becomes true.

It's posts like yours that show a staggering ignorance of baseball history that are easier to make fun.

The Astros current run is historically good. Period. It's just bitter jealousy that prevents your fanbase from admitting it.
fc2112

It's just bitter jealousy that prevents your fanbase from admitting it.
Not really

Silent For Too Long
ahpetty33 said:

The lady doth protest too much. Rivalries are great and it's okay to care about it. Trash talk is awesome.

What I'll never understand is people who seek out a forum specifically about the Astros/Rangers rivalry, buried within the MLB subcategory of a COLLEGE sports media website, just to talk about how little they care about said rivalry. Please, tell me more about how little you care about the Rangers beating the astros.

Of course they are, cupcake. My post was clearly designed to make fun of delusional members of your fanbase that insist the Rangers are the Astros Superbowl.

We enjoy the rivalry for what it is, but for a franchise that did literally nothing until 2010, and didn't finally hang a legitimate banner till a few minutes ago, you are in no position to be anyone's "Superbowl," and yet most of your fanbase as exuded this unfounded arrogance for decades.

It's just really easy to make fun of. It's also incredibly ironic considering your own team thread spends more time talking about your hatred for all things Houston then it does the actual Rangers.
LeagueCityAg
AG

Silent For Too Long
fc2112 said:

Not really

Okay, if it's not bitter jealousy then what is it professor?
LeagueCityAg
AG
Gotta love the switch up from Houston fans on this board. All of a sudden, they don't care about the rivalry with the Rangers. Let's just ignore the years of spamming this board, premium, and the trash talk thread with Rangers hate.
htxag09
AG
LeagueCityAg said:

Gotta love the switch up from Houston fans on this board. All of a sudden, they don't care about the rivalry with the Rangers. Let's just ignore the years of spamming this board, premium, and the trash talk thread with Rangers hate.

I was just thinking about that hypocrisy but the other way….

Whole lots of "we don't care about houston at all, weird they're obsessed about us" posts until a few months ago.

Funny thing about sports fans, is all fanbases are pretty similar. Stuff you make fun of other fanbases for….guarantee are within your own.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

Hard to say exactly, but whenever I mention the Astros "dynasty" talk with my Cubs & Cardinals fan in-laws it induces a smirk and brief snickering.

Probably just a stress reaction to the bitter jealousy the baseball world suffers from Astros success.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Silent For Too Long
I'm just thrilled your thin skinned fanbase finally decided to join in the festivities.

Most of you nancies wouldn't touch this thread last year, even whilst leading the division for most of the year.
The Porkchop Express
LeagueCityAg said:

That's impressive, but my edit of GLP as Home Depot Park stayed unchanged for 31 days last year.
The Porkchop Express
fc2112 said:

Not really

Have to flag this post, you can very briefly see the photographer lady's stomach in it, not really the family atmosphere the Rangers promote.
LeagueCityAg
AG

I'm just thrilled your thin skinned fanbase finally decided to join in the festivities.

Most of you nancies wouldn't touch this thread last year, even whilst leading the division for most of the year.
Ahh yes, we are the sensitive ones. Says the guy that continues to post in this thread even though he "doesn't care about the Rangers."
West Roxbury
LeagueCityAg said:

You won't find me in that mix. No switch here.
Silent For Too Long
I explicitly said I enjoy the rivalry and never once said that I don't care. I'm also posting on this thread after a terrible loss for my local 9.

Your reading comprehension is terrible.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
LeagueCityAg said:

Nice W Arlington Roid Ragers.

See you dorks tomorrow. Hopefully we can scratch out a single win in this series since yall are totally our World Series, Final Four, Superbowl, Indy 500, and Moon Landing all rolled into 1.

We really, really care about your franchise that had done nothing of note until 9 months ago.
Oh he mad mad
DallasAg 94
They're likely going into a rebuild and don't want to have to take what they've been giving out.

If they continue to struggle Winning, Bregman and others could be rumored in trade talk.
Silent For Too Long
agent-maroon said:

Quote:

Hard to say exactly, but whenever I mention the Astros "dynasty" talk with my Cubs & Cardinals fan in-laws it induces a smirk and brief snickering.

Probably just a stress reaction to the bitter jealousy the baseball world suffers from Astros success.

So you have family members that are as ignorant regarding baseball history as you are?

That's cool, man. Congrats!
LeagueCityAg
AG

agent-maroon said:

Quote:

So you have family members that are as ignorant regarding baseball history as you are?

That's cool, man. Congrats!
Or maybe, just maybe, you're the ignorant one.

Judging by your other posts in here, that idea isn't too far fetched.
Silent For Too Long
I know you are but what am I?

You're bringing the high heat here, sir. I don't think I can handle your elite trash talking acumen.
The Porkchop Express
agent-maroon said:

Quote:

I get the Cardinals reaction, but Cub fans? Are they puffing their chests out about their dominant run of 3 titles in the past 117 years?
Grapesoda2525
tjack16 said:

agent-maroon said:

I think they will either tonight or tomorrow. All it takes is one high and inside pitch to Garcia or Semien. Lord only knows what will happen if Abreu throws in to Garcia
The chances seem a lot lower now that Maldy is gone. Maldy was the big instigator on the Houston side of things. He was the one who got really mad when Semien stared down obese Framber during the home run trot after Framber beaned him earlier in the game and Maldy was the only Astro to take offense when semien " hopped" on to home plate when scoring on a grand slam later in that same game.

Maldy said we were going to lose and Semien was going to lose just like he did all the time playing with Oakland and the guy couldn't have been more wrong. Maldy lost that game and later the ALCS, and the opportunity to go to the World Series against the very same team.

Also I can't help, but think it's hilarious that Maldy was the Astros player who was starting all of that **** and getting pissed off so easily when he sucked so bad at hitting and only played because Dusty loved him.
Craigy

LeagueCityAg said:

That's impressive, but my edit of GLP as Home Depot Park stayed unchanged for 31 days last year.
and no one noticed...or cared.. we were at the victory parade
agent-maroon
AG

agent-maroon said:

Quote:

I get the Cardinals reaction, but Cub fans? Are they puffing their chests out about their dominant run of 3 titles in the past 117 years?

Regarding the Cubs, I was just trying to think of some fans I know outside of Texas that actually have a history with you guys. Most don't give the Astros a second thought.

But, yeah bitter jealousy lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.