Astros/Rangers Discussion - NO MODS ALLOWED

111,099 Views | 1589 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Ciboag96
Hornbeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Dang Rangers

Is that singer a family friend of the owner.

"That was turrible" - Roseanne Barr
Satellite of Love
For posterity:
Silent For Too Long
FPHA
Hornbeck
AG
Hey South OKC, y'all got any of them players for sale? Trade deadline coming up….
fullback44
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Who?

Verlander. When is he due back?
LMJ? Bullpen arm at best.

I'm not aware of anyone else you will be getting back. Maybe I'm wrong.
Garcia .. one or two of those guys and our staff is much better .. Verlander will be back soon any way… Garcia is a maybe .. Lance .. not gonna hold my breath that guy may want to retire
AlwaysNextYear89
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

fullback44 said:

Neither of these teams will get very far.. pitching not what it takes at this point .. much better teams right now
Do you really believe that?!

It is the tale of two diverging views, IMO.

Starting Pitching:
6. Rangers: 3.81, 96G, 510.1 IP, 455 SO. 10 SPs used so far
10. Astros: 4.24, 96G, 511.2 IP, 483 SO. 10 SPs used so far

Playoff rotation right now:
Rangers: Eovaldi, Scherzer, Lorenzen / depth: Heaney, Gray, Urena
Astros: Blanco, Framber, Brown / depth: Arrighetti, Dubin, Bloss

Possibly coming
Rangers: Mahle, deGrom, Bradford, Dunning
Astros: Garcia, Verlander

Blanco is playoff worthy, this season, but you have to admit, Framber and Brown wouldn't even be in the Top6 available Rangers SP and we're likely to get Mahle back in a couple weeks.

Let's pretend that Blanco and Eovaldi are close enough to call a wash.
Scherzer v Framber?
Lorenzen v Brown?

Your #4 and #5 are both minor league guys. If Verlander gets back, maybe we're mentioning him sliding in your playoff rotation.

ETA Garcia to the Astros hopefuls.
Brown vs Lorenzen? Have you paid attention to what Brown has done since he started throwing a sinker in May? 5 of last 8 starts have been at least 6 innings with no runs. For comparison, Lorenzen has 2 starts like that all season. Brown had a horrible April, but since May, I guarantee you, he would be in anyone's playoff rotation.
DallasAg 94
AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Brown vs Lorenzen? Have you paid attention to what Brown has done since he started throwing a sinker in May? 5 of last 8 starts have been at least 6 innings with no runs. For comparison, Lorenzen has 2 starts like that all season. Brown had a horrible April, but since May, I guarantee you, he would be in anyone's playoff rotation.
Assuming a 3-person playoff rotation... if JV OR Garcia return... does Brown make the Astros playoff rotation?

We'll see how he continues to perform.
Farmer1906
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Assuming a 3-person playoff rotation... if JV OR Garcia return... does Brown make the Astros playoff rotation?

If he pitches like he has been he'll be our #1.
DallasAg 94
Farmer1906 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

And if deGrom pitches like he has, he'll be our #1.
Farmer1906
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Farmer1906 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

And if deGrom pitches like he has, he'll be our #1.

Like he has in 2024?
Farmer1906
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

This question still cracks me up.

fullback44
AG
Farmer1906 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

This question still cracks me up.

Since Hunter learned his new pitch he has been lights out, he may now be one of Houston's Top pitchers ..
Farmer1906
AG
Just need to win 4 in a row to be above .500 before Aug.
Marvin
AG
So will the Rangers sell, hold, or buy? I'll guess 45/40/15 (%) just watching from afar.

Does the front office feel any pressure at all to make the playoffs in response to last year (avoid any fluke talk), or at least not appear to throw in the towel so soon after a trophy? I get injuries, but everyone has that excuse. Many of the hitters who overachieved last year have regressed this year, so maybe they can point to that as a reason to hold the line and reset in '25.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Just need to win 4 in a row to be above .500 before Aug.

All they have to do is beat Toronto today and sweep StL all on the road. They got this.
South Platte
Seems like an unbalanced trade for Kristy Yamaguchi. I don't follow Houston game by game but thought Loperfido was a pretty tough out and had some clutch HR this season.
bearkatag15
AG
South Platte said:

Seems like an unbalanced trade for Kristy Yamaguchi. I don't follow Houston game by game but thought Loperfido was a pretty tough out and had some clutch HR this season.

Loperfido strikes out a ton. He's up to 35% K rate. He's a plus defender with some pop. Probably a 4th OF long term. Bloss was the big loss. #2 prospect in our system. Young with 6+ years of control
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
TarponChaser
bearkatag15 said:

South Platte said:

Loperfido strikes out a ton. He's up to 35% K rate. He's a plus defender with some pop. Probably a 4th OF long term. Bloss was the big loss. #2 prospect in our system. Young with 6+ years of control

Loperfido doesn't even have a full season in the majors yet, I would expect his K-rate to come down a bit as he matures and gets more experience.

I have less concern about losing Bloss. There are always young arms to be found. Even not-so-young. Hell, look at Caleb Ort. Dude's like 32 and has a grand total of about 60 innings pitched in the majors but he's out there shoving 99 and shutting people down. Look at Ronel Blanco and Cristian Javier. I have plenty of faith that the scouts can find arms.
Farmer1906
AG
End of July Records / Final
2017: 50-55 / 78-84
2018: 46-63 / 67-95
2019: 54-54 / 78-84
2021: 37-67 / 60-102
2022: 46-55 / 68-94
2023: 60-46 / 90-72
2024: 52-57 / On pace for 77-85

If you can win 27 more games, you'll have 2nd best record over your last 8 seasons. 30 more and you can get above .500!
South Platte
Farmer1906 said:

End of July Records / Final
2017: 50-55 / 78-84
2018: 46-63 / 67-95
2019: 54-54 / 78-84
2021: 37-67 / 60-102
2022: 46-55 / 68-94
2023: 60-46 / 90-72
2024: 52-57 / On pace for 77-85

If you can win 27 more games, you'll have 2nd best record over your last 8 seasons. 30 more and you can get above .500!
You went to way too much trouble to post all of that. Would have been more accurate for you to post that our team sucks balls. Which it does . . .

Farmer1906
AG
I was curious about the Astros at this point and saw an opportunity.
Farmer1906
AG

Seems like last year was a stroke a great luck where everyone played at or near their peak.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Seems like last year was a stroke a great luck where everyone played at or near their peak.

And they got a World Series without the help of a trash can.
tjack16
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Farmer1906 said:

And they got a World Series without the help of a trash can.

So did the Astros in 2022
South Platte
Farmer1906 said:

That's typically what it takes. You need journeymen to have career years. Which is probably why there haven't been any repeat champions in 25 years.
Satellite of Love
I guess that juice is out of their system.
fullback44
AG
Satellite of Love said:

I guess that juice is out of their system.
Being an Astros fan… our entire division may be running out of juice, don't see any of these teams making any serious threat unless a lot of things change .. but it probably ain't happening
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Daddy lives..

All I do is Nguyen
Rent. Free.
Legal Custodian
AG
Trust me, all Ranger fans stand with you as you stand against Dave Raymond
Mr Gigem
AG
It's beyond time to move on from Dave Raymond
Grapesoda2525
It's no secret. Our TV broadcast has sucked ass ever since Nolan fired Josh Lewin. Nolan should've just stuck to his beef, cooking hot dogs, and getting fatter.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Trust me, all Ranger fans stand with you as you stand against Dave Raymond

Who said I'm against it?
cc10106
I have to mute the radio during Nolan's ads. Sounds like has a mouth full of marbles. It's terrible.
tjack16
AG
2/3 for the silver boot tonight. This is likely the only trophy either one of us can with this year

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.