***** RETURN OF THE KING: The 2022 Joey Gallo Appreciation Thread *****

49,928 Views | 560 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stunning news from the K race. Eugenio Suarez, who has led the chase almost wire to wire, has gone on the 10-day DL with a small fracture of his index finger. That means he's not going to win the K title and not going reach 200 most likely.

Saturday Kyle Schwarber tied him at 183 with a single whiff. Schwarber was glum after the game despite his accomplishments. "When the best don't face the best, everyone gets cheated," he said. He then posted this GIF to his Twitter account.

In more exciting news, the Braves trio of Swanson, Olsen, and Riley were on fire this weekend, with 5 K's yesterday and 6 more today. They are up to 471 combined as they chase 500.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Faustus
The race is going out with a whimper.

Hopefully this post galvanizes the strike out gods due to its temerity.
The Porkchop Express
There was a weird number in Joey Gallo's stat box last night. A 2 under the hits column.

Yes, for the 9th time this season, King Donkey achieved what is known in baseball parlance as a "multi-hit" game.

One of those hits was his 18th home run. He's hit 6 dongers in his tour de force for the Dodgers, who he guided to their 102nd win in the process. He also struck out once, praise Donkey. The Dodgers are 24-8 since Hollywood become JoeyWood. As good as they've been, they could have won 122 games with Joey there all season.

The strikeout was #1,031 of his career, tying Joey with my all-time favorite ball player, Jose Cruz. Cruz never struck out more than 86 times in a year, and on two different occasions had 5x as many sacrifice flies (10) in a season as Joey has in his entire career (2).
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
The Porkchop Express
Vintage Donkey last night - 0 for 2 with 2 walks and 2 strikeouts in yet another Dodger win. He's up to 1,033, for his career, into 324th place in a tie with Bob Allison and current player Jackie Bradley Jr. Next on the punch list are a pair of catchers who were equal on offense in every single way during their careers; Joe Mauer and Brad Ausmus.

We've got a real shot at a second conjunction in the next few weeks. Joey is hitting .166 on the year and has 148 strikeouts. He has his career average at almost exactly .200 (.2004273 to be exact) and has managed to push his career OPS under .800 with his incredible performance in 2022.

Since Eugenio Suarez went on the DL, Kyle Schwarber has failed to record a strikeout for 2 straight games, leaving the 2 of them knotted at 183. Joey, like his NKOTB namesake, is hanging tough at #14.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Breaking through the anti-climax and disappointment, Kyle Schwarber seized the Major League lead tonight with two big strikeouts as the Phillies battle the Pretty Little Bluebirds of Toronto.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Porkchop Express
Been working too much! Joey g was 0 for 3 with 3 whiffs last night! 151k, 4 away from the top 10!
The Porkchop Express
Into the 7th inning in Philly and Swanson, Olson and Riley have combined for 7 strikeouts, getting their season total to 492. 500, here we come!
The Porkchop Express
The D-Train has the night off so I thought we'd catch up on some projections if Joey decides to grace Hollywood with his presence in 2023.

If he played a whole season with LA based on his stats through 36 games, we're talking:

445 at-bats
63 runs score
81 hits (move over, George Sisler!)
18 doubles
4.5 triples
27 home runs
90 RBI
63 walks
207 strikeouts
with a vicious slash of .182/.302/.424.

That's the King Donkey that puts asses in the seats. someone get this guy 154 games a year PLEASE. Make Joey Gallo Great Again (MJGGA)

The Porkchop Express
Kyle Schwarber has struck out for the 193rd time, entering the top 30 seasons of all-time. He's on pace for 205.
TarponChaser
The Porkchop Express said:

The D-Train has the night off so I thought we'd catch up on some projections if Joey decides to grace Hollywood with his presence in 2023.

If he played a whole season with LA based on his stats through 36 games, we're talking:

445 at-bats
63 runs score
81 hits (move over, George Sisler!)
18 doubles
4.5 triples
27 home runs
90 RBI
63 walks
207 strikeouts
with a vicious slash of .182/.302/.424.

That's the King Donkey that puts asses in the seats. someone get this guy 154 games a year PLEASE. Make Joey Gallo Great Again (MJGGA)

What about sac flies? To me, the fact that a guy who is supposed to be an RBI machine, power hitter that only has 2 sac flies in his career is the most astounding thing to me.
The Porkchop Express
He's presently holding steady at 2 sacrifice flies through the first 744 games of his career.

There are 34 guys tied for places 966-1,000 in all-time sacrifice flies, among them luminaries like Bobby Valentine, Darryle Ward, Preston WIlson, and Mike Ivie. They all managed 27 career sacrifice flies. On his current pace, it would take King Donkey 10,044 games to get into the top 1,000 of all time, which is roughly 62 more seasons.

To reach the top 100 at his current pace - which is currently a pretty awesome tie between Cecil Cooper, Carlton Fisk, Pete Rose, and Greg Luzinski with 79 apiece, he'd need to play 29,388 games, about 181 more seasons.

If he wants to take on the all-time record of 128 held by Eddie Murray, Joey would need to keep playing through the 2315 season and stay healthy.
The Porkchop Express

Dansby Swanson struck out twice last night to get himself, Matt Olson, and Austin Riley into the 500-club, just the fourth group of three teammates to combine to strikeout 500 times in a season.

Swanson: 178, Olson 162, Riley 160 = 500

The exclusive club

The only 3 trios to strike out more than 500 times in a season are:

2010 Diamondbacks, 535: Mark Reynolds (211), Adam LaRoche (172), and Justin Upton (152).
2016 Orioles, 526: Chris Davis (219), Mark Trumbo (170), and Jonathan Schoop (137)
2018 Rangers, 503: Donkey (207), Shin-Soo Choo (156) and Robinson Chirinos (140).
2022 Braves, 500: Swanson: 178, Olson 162, Riley 160
Faustus

He's presently holding steady at 2 sacrifice flies through the first 744 games of his career.

There are 34 guys tied for places 966-1,000 in all-time sacrifice flies, among them luminaries like Bobby Valentine, Darryle Ward, Preston WIlson, and Mike Ivie. They all managed 27 career sacrifice flies. On his current pace, it would take King Donkey 10,044 games to get into the top 1,000 of all time, which is roughly 62 more seasons.

To reach the top 100 at his current pace - which is currently a pretty awesome tie between Cecil Cooper, Carlton Fisk, Pete Rose, and Greg Luzinski with 79 apiece, he'd need to play 29,388 games, about 181 more seasons.

If he wants to take on the all-time record of 128 held by Eddie Murray, Joey would need to keep playing through the 2315 season and stay healthy.

Yuli is tied with Geoff Blum at No. 554 on the list with 40 sac flies. Yuli did it in 7 seasons vs. Blum's 14.

Altuve is tied with Brantley, Reddick, Lowrie, and Derek Bell at No. 425 on the list with 46. That's the Astros' sweet spot. Lou Brock and Cecil Fielder are other notables at No. 425.

Pujols is 5 flies away from No.1.

Fun list.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/SF_career.shtml

Bregman leads the majors with 10 this year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB-leaders.shtml

The Porkchop Express
KING DONKEY AND THE GOLDEN SOMBRERO he wore tonight!!!!
0 for 4 with 4 strikeouts in a 1-0 win over San Diego. He just keeps on stirring the drink out there in Los Angeles!

He's up to 156 strikeouts with a .164 average!

This is Joey's 18th career Golden Sombrero. He's 2nd among active player (Giancarlo Stanton has 22) and tied for eighth all time with his idol, Mark Reynolds!
The Porkchop Express
Kyle Schwarber is up to 195, 5 away from becoming a legend. If he could go into a slump he'd have a chance at his own Grand Conjunction, he's currently hitting .212. He's having the season I hope Joey can get back to at some point.

42 homers
87 RBI
.212 Average
195 K

The Porkchop Express
Kyle Schwarber was a brilliant 0-for-5 with 2 strikeouts last night as the Phillies continued their late-season Phold.

He could get to 200 as soon as today, as the Phillies have a doubleheader. He's currently perched at 197. That's tied for the 21st most strikeouts in a season in MLB history. All this BS about Judge and nobody sees Schwarber making moves. There have been only 15 200 strikeout seasons in MLB history.

The Braves' three-man clown show of Swanson, Riley, and Olson combined for 5 strikeouts in their huge win over the Mets last night. They are up to 506 combined, good for 3rd all time.

JoJo SayWha was in the game late as a defensive replacement and went 0-1 without a K. He's at 157 strikeouts and a .163 average. He's got a chance to get his strikeout total above his average for the third time in his career.

In 2018 he hit .206 with 207 strikeouts.
In 2021 he hit .199 with 213 strikeouts.

bearkatag15
AG
The Porkchop Express
This is what I get for binging Dahmer with my wife last night.

ALl Hail King DONKEY

The Porkchop Express
The Braves are going all out to move up the history charts for strikeout power. Swanson, Olson and Riley entered tonight's game with 509 combined strikeouts, only the fourth time in history 3 teammates have cracked 500.

Through 6 innings tonight vs. those powerhouse Marlins, Riley and Olson each have 3. In game all-time update now stands at

2010 Diamondbacks, 535:
2016 Orioles, 526
2022 Braves: 515
2018 Rangers, 503:

Kyle Schwarber in the H tonight sitting at 199 strikeouts.

redline248
AG
Golden Sombrero for Riley!
The Porkchop Express
redline248 said:

Golden Sombrero for Riley!
Revised for the final

2010 Diamondbacks, 535:
2016 Orioles, 526
2022 Braves: 516
2018 Rangers, 503:

Two games left, if they all play because the playoff seeds with them and NY are still up for grabs, they've got a shot at the Orioles for second.
The Porkchop Express
KING DONKEY has achieved a Minor Conjunction! He made an out in his first at-bat tonight and is at 160 strikeouts and hitting .160 on the season!

I like to imagine this gif with Joey on the right and Aaron Boone on the left.

The Porkchop Express
Kyle Schwarber has done it! 200 strikeouts in a season! Just the 16th 200-strikeout season in baseball history and the most ever by a Philly, breaking his tie with Ryan Howard at 199!

The Porkchop Express
Joey with a second conjunction in the same season, now at .161 and 161 Ks. !
redline248
AG

Joey with a second conjunction in the same season, now at .161 and 161 Ks. !
He added 2 more Ks and dropped the average back to .160. What a season.
Mathguy64
AG
I am just astounded that anyone would play a field player batting .160 on a season enough to amass 160 Ks.

It's one thing for the Astros to play Machete batting .185. Half the catchers in the league this dead ball season are batting at or below .200. But an outfielder batting .160 is a huge black hole at a position that should generate hits, runs and RBIs.
The Porkchop Express
The closing call on a lovely season of strikeouts

Kyle Schwarber 200
Eugenio Suarez 196
Patrick Wisdom 183
Adolis Garcia 183
Dansby Swanson 182

King Donkey's final stats

126 games played
350 at-bats
48 runs scored
56 hits
8 doubles
2 triples
19 home runs
47 RBI
125 total bases
56 walks
163 strikeouts
3 stolen bases
.160 average
.280 OBP
.357 SLG
.638 OPS
ONE sacrifice fly

That's a 210-strikeout pace for 162 games. When will someone take a chance on this kid and give him the tools he needs to pursue 223?

Swanson, RIley, and Olson combined to strike out 520 times, the third highest total in history for 3 teammates.

Nelson Cruz struck out 119 times at age 41 to break into the top 20 all-time in career strikeouts. He's at #16 with 1,870. If he returns in 2023 and gets 100 more, he'll be into the top 10.

Joey Gallo ends the year with 1,048 career strikeouts, good for 313th place. he started the year in 480th place. He needs 168 strikeouts next year to get into the top 200 all-time. On the active list, he's up to 33rd already.

This was Joey's third season with more strikeouts than batting average points.Previously:

2018 207 K, .206 AVG
2021 213 K, .199 AVG
2022 163 K, .160 AVG

He's already up to 471 career hits. If he can keep up this pace, he'll reach the 3,000 hit club in late 2072.

Looking forward to playoff Joey and dare we dream? World Series Joey.

Faustus
Do you think he'll sign a prove it deal in the off-season, or will some savvy team go ahead and lock him up long term?
Mathguy64
AG
I actually think Joey improves next year. Taking the shift away will do nothing but help players like him. For the Dodgers that's Gallo and Bellinger.

I'm imagining Yordan smashing balls to RF and there being no rover in RF and the RF not being basically camped on the wall.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I actually think Joey improves next year. Taking the shift away will do nothing but help players like him. For the Dodgers that's Gallo and Bellinger.

I'm imagining Yordan smashing balls to RF and there being no rover in RF and the RF not being basically camped on the wall.

I think we're going to see some drastically improved BAs next season. Specifically from LH hitters.
The Porkchop Express
Mathguy64 said:

Uh, King Donkey is a free agent this winter so it's a free for all on who signs up for those mad skillz long term. I obviously don't want a Dodgers-Yankees WS, but if that played out, you could all but guarantee he hits a homer or two against the Yankees.
The Porkchop Express
Faustus said:

Do you think he'll sign a prove it deal in the off-season, or will some savvy team go ahead and lock him up long term?
it's hard to imagine the GM who goes in front of the owner and says, well he was 56 for 350 last year with 163 strikeouts, but statistics don't really matter.

It's like when the Texans signed Ryan Fitzpatrick to be their QB knowing full well he couldn't throw accurately past 20 yards or so.
jkag89
Series winning Sac Fly for sure.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Andres Gimenez of the Cleveland Indians Guardians with the Platinum sombrero to kill a Cleveland rally in the bottom of the 12th in a 0-0 game!

If the game can go to the 15th, he will have a shot at the Major League tying Diamond Sombrero for the first time in post-season history!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Porkchop Express
YokelRidesAgain said:

Andres Gimenez of the Cleveland Indians Guardians with the Platinum sombrero to kill a Cleveland rally in the bottom of the 12th in a 0-0 game!

If the game can go to the 15th, he will have a shot at the Major League tying Diamond Sombrero for the first time in post-season history!!
This is a Joey kinda game. Clevealnd has 19 strikeouts and Tampa has 16 through 13 innings.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.