***** RETURN OF THE KING: The 2022 Joey Gallo Appreciation Thread *****

49,954 Views | 560 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big ups to Jo Adell of the Angels, who is tied for the early strikeout lead with 5, and has struck out every time he's been up so far this season.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
The Porkchop Express
Real off day for Joey Gallo yesterday, no strikeouts to report. Going to have to get in the cage and figure those problems out. It's early, but I know he can do better.

Dansby Swanson your leader after 3 games played with 6 strikeouts in 9 at-bats. That's how you do it!

Nine guys tied with 5 including All-Stars Jose Altuve and Pete Alonso. Mariners' ROY candidate Julio Rodriguez doing some work as well, with 5 in 8 at-bats in his first 2 games.

Also be checking in this season on the New York Yankees' "Drive for Five", meaning if they can have 3 guys combine for 500 strikeouts, which early research suggests has only been done thrice in history.

Through their first 2 games, Giancarlo Stanton has 4, Ser Gallohad has 3, and Aaron Hicks and Josh Donaldson also have 3 each.

We'll go with Stanton, Hicks, and Gallo (obviously) in the formula for now.

10 total strikeouts / 2 games = 5 strikeouts per game
5 x 162 = 810 strikeouts for the season.
Keep it up, you crazy kids!

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
redline248
AG
Quote:

10 total strikeouts / 2 games = 5 strikeouts per game
5 x 162 = 810 strikeouts for the season.
Keep it up, you crazy kids!
That would be amazing
The Porkchop Express
I almost forgot, Joey G's three strikeouts on opening day has moved him into a tie for 461st place at 888 career strikeouts. He's equaled the marks of Rusty Staub, Ryan Ludwick, and Ron LeFlore. Staub took 23 seasons to get to 888 strikeouts, averaging just one every 3.32 games. His high in a season was 93 in 1970, but he also had 699 plate appearances that year, 30 HR< 94 RBI, and a career-high 112 walks.

Ryan Ludwick played with the Rangers, Reds, and Cardinals mainyl from 2002-2014, and peaked at 146 in 2008.

Ron LeFlore, who remains one of the most fascinating origin stories in baseball history, plated from 1974-1982 after not playing baseball AT ALL in organized fashion until he was in prison for armed robbery in the early 1970s.

wbt5845
AG
First at bat in tonight's game and Gallo doesn't take a single swing and walks. That's a good strategy for him.
agproducer
AG
Down by 1, 2 outs, Bottom of the 9th, and Joey does what he does best to end the game. K.
The Porkchop Express
agproducer said:

Down by 1, 2 outs, Bottom of the 9th, and Joey does what he does best to end the game. K.
The most beautiful thing in baseball. That's how you go after that record, boys!

The Porkchop Express
My fellow Gallo-ites, I am as happy this morning as Joey Gallo seeing a fastball 6 feet above his head on an 0-2 count.

I have unearthed a marvelous stat that really lets you know where Jo Jo Gallo stands among not just the best players of today, but the all-time greats.

Among the top 1,000 players of all time in # of times struck out, Joey Gallo is 2nd in % of plate appearances that have resulted in strikeouts.

He has struck out 889 times in 2,414 plate appearances. That's 36.8% of the time.

There are only 10 players out of that top 1,000 who have struck out at least 30% of their plate appearances.
The only guy ahead of Joey G is Lefty Grove, at 37.5%.

Two things to know about Lefty Grove if you're not a baseball history fan.

1) He was a Hall-of-Fame pitcher, who played for 17 years for the Philadelphia Athletics and Boston Red Sox and has a career batting average of .148.
2) His career started 97 years ago.

But before we go hailing the name King Donkey, be aware that he has some very serious competition for the #2 spot. The Twins' Miguel Sano is right behind him at 36.5% (1,021 strikeouts / 2800 plate appearances). Just another glorious angle of the season to keep track of. I feel like I should build an app to have this all available as a dashboard.

Career leaders in strikeout % of plate appearances (top 1,000 strikeout totals all-time)

1. Lefty Grove 37.5%
2. Joey Gallo 36.8%
3. Miguel Sano 36.5%
4. Mike Zunino 34.7%
5. Chris Carter 33.3%
6. Russell Branyan 32.9%
7. Chris Davis 32.9%
8. Bo Jackson 32.0%
9. Rob Deer 31.2%
10. Mark Reynolds 30.9%

Marvin
AG
If you log a post every time Gallo strikes out this year, your OP might just see more action than the Rangers season thread.

The Porkchop Express
A slow day at the office for Jo Jo SayWha as he somehow got 2 hits in the same game and only struck out once.

The good news is that's 5 strikeouts in 4 games. That's a pace for 202.5 strikeouts for the year. Some guys are racing off to gaudy early strikeout numbers, but JoJo is pacing himself, knowing that in those dog days at Yankee Stadium in August and September, that's when you really turn it on like he did last year.

Braves shortstop and Brylcream advertising model Dansby Swanson is the first man in the majors to reach 10 K, and he only needed 19 plate appearances to get there. Add in that he's hitting .125 and this is an exciting up and comer in the whiff race.

Cedric Mullins from Baltimore is second with 9 Ks in 17 PA. This is unexpected territory for Mullins, who only struck out 125 times in 661 plate appearances a year ago.

Jo Adell of the Angels finally had a few at bats when he didn't strike out, but is still tied for third in 8.

Further down the list we see Twins' shortstop Carlos Correa who might be finding fewer good pitches to hit on the frozen tundra. He's got 7 whiffs in 17 PA.

Yesterday's strikeout tied Joey G for 460th place all-time with some loser named Pee Wee Reese who took 16 seasons to strikeout 890 times. Joey's done in 2,418 plate appearances what it took that chump 9,472 to do.

redline248
AG
Matt Chapman is up to 8K in 16 PA. Toronto is playing right now, but he hasn't come up, yet.
The Porkchop Express
Let's give it up for Seattle's Jarred Kelenic who picked up the Golden Sombrero last night!

Kelenic was Seattle's highly touted rookie who came up last year and was absolutely terrible, hitting .181 in 93 games with 106 strikeouts and a WAR of -1.7.
This year, it appears he's out to impress new teammate Eugenio Suarez, who struck out 171 times last year and hit .198.

Kelenic is off to a legendary start in 2022, hitting .067 with 9 strikeouts in 15 at-bats.

Dansby Swanson made it three straight games with 2 strikeouts on Tuesday, running his league-leading total to 12 in 22 at-bats. Nobody else has reached double-digits yet.

Starting to see some familiar faces inch up the leaderboard for all of baseball. Matt Chapman, the only other guy to strike out 200 times last year, has 8, as does Ohtani. Miguel Sano is up to 7 on the year.

Joey G is a disappointing 67th after getting the game off yesterday except for a late spot as a defensive replacement. Aaron Boone lets me down yet again, keeping King Donkey out of the lineup. You don't put your best player on the bench, dumbass, let the big dog eat!
The Porkchop Express
Lots of great efforts to highlight yesterday.

Arizona's David Peralta was 0 for 5 with 3 strikeouts, dropping his average to .174 on the year.

MLB leader Dansby Swanson made it 7 games straight to open the year with a strikeout. He's up to 13 whiffs in 25 at-bats and his OPS resembles a good slugging percentage (.490).

Aristides Aquino of the Reds had a Golden Sombrero and an 0-4 day. Now I see why the Reds traded away Eugenio Suarez. Aquino has 9 strikeouts in 13 at-bats and has not drawn a walk this year. Currently projected to strike out 243 times in 351 at-bats.

The Phillies' big free agent signee Kyle Schwarber is stinking it up at record levels for Philadelphia and my fantasy baseball team. He had a hat trick for the second time in 3 games and is hitting .091 through six games.

The Twins' struck out 14 times as a team in their loss to the Dodgers. Miguel Sano is trying to out-Gallo Gallo with the greatest start to a season in history. He is current 0 for 19 with 9 strikeouts this year. '
I was so excited about the Yankees top getting to 500 strikeouts that I didn't even think about the Twins. Byron Buxton (10), Sano (9) and the anti-JOhnny Bench Gary Sanchez have combined for 28 K's in the first 6 games of the year. That's a pace of 756.

A's DH Seth Brown with the Golden Sombrero. He's currently on pace for 216 RBI and 189 K this year.

In the Bronx it was a matchup of the game's 2 biggest superstars, King Donkey and Vlad Jr. Slight advantage Vlad as he went 4-for-4 with 3 homers wh ile Joey played it cool, 0 for 3 with a walk and a strikeout. Our patron saint is settling in real nicely this year. 6 Ks, 5 BBs, and 3 hits.

The Porkchop Express
Something beautiful is happening down in the Bronx tonight.

Joey Gallo is back in the swing of things, going 0-for-3 with 2 strikeouts, lowering his batting average to an impressive .158. The Yankees are winning, but more importantly, America is winning, because Josh Donaldson has struck out 3 times, and Giancarlo Stanton has 2 of his own.

On the other side of the table, Vlad Junior has produced a Golden Sombrero tonight after jacking 3 homers last night.
The Porkchop Express
I'm on vacation in Joey Gallo's time zone this weekend, but for King Donkey, there is no vacation. Joey Jo Jo was 1 for 5 with 2 strikeouts last night in a loss to the powerful Baltimore Orioles. Not a lot of guys can go 1 for 5 and raise their average 9 points, but not a lot of guys are Boss Gallo.

It is a double thrill because Joe Rooster has now made it a full week plus one into the season without wasting any effort with overrated things like hitting home runs, scoring runs, or driving in runs. That's right, he has ZEROES in all three of those categories for the season.

This leads ESPN to project his stats for the season through 8 games as:

162 games played
486 at-bats
0 runs scored
81 hits
0 doubles
0 triples
0 home runs
0 RBI
0 stolen bases
101 walks
203 strikeouts
.167 average

Take a moment today and think how lucky you are to be living in the Golden Age of baseball. The season is 8 days old and Joey Gallo has zero extra-base hits, RBI, or runs scored.
The Porkchop Express
Back from Vacation, back to Gallo-Watch 2022

35 plate appearances
29 at bats
0 runs scored
4 hits
0 doubles
0 triples
0 home runs
0 RBI
11 strikeouts

BA: .138
OBP .286
SLG .138

agproducer
AG
What a time to be alive!
bearkatag15
AG

Thought this tweet was a good addition to this thread.
Mathguy64
AG
Crap. Wrong thread
The Porkchop Express
This Dansby Swanson kid is electrifying the strikeout world out of the gate. Two more last night gives him a league-leading 20 in just 12 games. That's a pace of 270 right now and he's "hitting ".143 to boot.

In fact our top 5 guys right now in strikeouts are really not knocking the cover off the ball, or even slightly fraying the seams for that matter.

Aristides Aquino of the Reds, the heir apparent to Eugenio Suarez, is tearing it up to the tune of an .067 average and 18 strikeouts in 30 at-bats. Teammate Joey Votto is making a late-career charge at the strikeout lead for the first time in his long career, up to 17 in 11 games with a scintillating .105 average.

Jo Adell of the Angels also has 17 and a .176 average, and Luke Voit, newly of the Padres, has 16 and is hitting .167.

The Yankee trio of Donaldson (15), Stanton (13), and Gallo (11) has racked up 39 in just 10 games, keeping them on pace for 631.8 this year, which would obliterate the suspected 3-teammate record of 535.

Right now the Red triumvirate of Votto, Aquino, and Mike Moustakas (13) are actually outpacing them with a combined 48 through 11 games, which would get them to 706 whiffs on the year. What a showdown! What a talent display!

Also, assuming the Mariners just don't release him, hot-**** prospect Julio Rodriguez 16 K in 9 games, is on pace to shatter the rookie strikeout record. He's on pace for 235, easily ahead of the record pace established way back in the 1980s by Joey Gallo's brother from another mother, Ranger and Astro legend Pete Incaviglia. who struck out 185 times in 153 games in 1986.

And if you don't know much about Pete and you want to see the most incredible stats of all time, check out his college career at Oklahoma State.

In 1985 as a junior, he hit 48 home runs and drove in 143 runs in 75 GAMES. Hit .464, OBP .594, SLG 1.140, OPS 1.734. Just the stupidest numbers you've ever seen in your life. Also walked 80 times, scored 98 runs and stole 14 bases. The Rangers said, eff the minor leagues, you're starting opening day the next year after they drafted him #1.

10 guys drafted off that OSU team. The only other one of real note was Doug Dascenzo. Team went 58-16. And with all that talent they got their asses beat 12-3 in the CWS by a Mississippi State squad featuring a 20-year-old Rafael Palmeiro, a 21-year old Bobby Thigpen, and a 21-year-old Will Clark, who hit .420 with a 1.392 OPS himself.
Faustus
Quote:

. . .
And if you don't know much about Pete and you want to see the most incredible stats of all time, check out his college career at Oklahoma State.

In 1985 as a junior, he hit 48 home runs and drove in 143 runs in 75 GAMES. Hit .464, OBP .594, SLG 1.140, OPS 1.734. Just the stupidest numbers you've ever seen in your life. Also walked 80 times, scored 98 runs and stole 14 bases. The Rangers said, eff the minor leagues, you're starting opening day the next year after they drafted him #1.
. . .
Pete didn't even use a metal bat like his peers.

redline248
AG
Your last 2 paragraphs are so foreign to the stars we are showcasing in this thread
The Porkchop Express
King Donkey came up in the top of the 2nd inning with runners on first and third and triumphantly struck out swinging to extend his streak to start the season to 30 at-bats without a run scored, extra-base hit or RBI. He has 12 strikeouts on the year.
The Porkchop Express
Why do the great ones make it look so easy? Pele. Mays. Federer. Gallo.

King Donkey is 0 for 3 with 3 strikeouts through 5 innings tonight.

He is now batting .125 on the season with 14 K's in 32 at-bats.
redline248
AG
It is truly a thing of beauty.
AustinCountyAg
Make that four strikeouts tonight…
Mathguy64
AG
Our mascot with the Golden Sombrero. His first of the season. A first of what surely will be many.
The Porkchop Express
AustinCountyAg said:

Make that four strikeouts tonight…
THE GOLDEN SOMBRERO POR JOSE ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSTER!

4 for 33, .121 average, 14 strikeouts.

If the Tigers could get a run in their last 2 at-bats, we could have a shot at extra innings and some shiny platinum.
The Porkchop Express
That was Joey Gallo's 20th career Golden Sombrero, which puts him 5th all-time and second among active players behind teammate Giancarlo Stanton

The short list.

Ryan Howard 27
Chris Davis 26
Reggie Jackson 23
Giancarlo Stanton 23
Joey Gallo 20
Jim Thome 20
Adam Dunn 19
Bo Jackson 19
Mark Reynolds 18
Rob Deer 17
Sammy Sosa 17

Joey's Career Goldens

2015: 3
2016: 0 (only 25 at bats that year)
2017: 2
2018: 6 (4 in September, 2 in a 3-game span!)
2019: 4 (in just 241 at-bats!)
2020: 2 (in just 193 at-bats!)
2021: 2
2022: 1

redline248
AG
2 in what, 11 or 12 games, so far? We could be witnessing true greatness.
The Porkchop Express
Now tied for 452nd all-time with 896 strikeouts are:

Joey Gallo, 2,436 career plate appearances
Mel Ott, 11,347 career plate appearances

Upcoming Hall of Famers who are about to fall to Joey's mighty sword

#450 Ken Griffey Jr. 898
#441 George Brett 908

Chrundle the Great
AG
He better slap a few over the rf fence or he could get benched soon, at the least fall down the lineup.

The strikeout race requires stamina/pacing. Too many early and you can fall out of contention like Eugenio last year.
The Porkchop Express
Our boy is blowing up in the news lately.

Joey Gallo not hitting a lick again and Yankees are calling it 'unlucky'

Joey Gallo Is A Historic Strikeout Machine

Second story led me to this gem. Joey Gallo is the only player in Major League HISTORY averaging more than 2 strikeouts per hit (2.13) for players with more than 2,000 plate appearances. Mike Zunino is 2nd at 1.89.

and most optimistically.

Yankees don't envision Tim Locastro platoon despite Joey Gallo's struggles

and the dumbest statement from one of the dumbest managers alive.

Aaron Boone thinks Joey Gallo off to 'a good start' despite poor numbers

[url=https://nypost.com/2022/04/11/yankees-aaron-boone-thinks-joey-gallo-off-to-a-good-start/][/url]

The Porkchop Express
Dansby Swanson struck out for the 13th game in a row to start the MLB season last night. He leads the Majors with 21. Overall, he's struck out in 16 straight regular season games.

Jo Adell is your new leader in the AL with 19 in 39 at-bats for the Angels.

Joey's effort last night really heated up the three-man race as well.

The Reds have Joey Votto (18), Aristides Aquino (18), and Mike Moustakas (13) for a total of 49

The Yankees have Josh Donaldson (17), Giancarlo Stanton (15), and King Donkey (15) right behind them at 47.

Aquino continues to be just phenomenal by "hitting" .059 through 10 games - that's 2 for 34 with 18 strikeouts.

Donkey is "slugging" .121
The Porkchop Express
Aaron boone, you *****.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.