***** RETURN OF THE KING: The 2022 Joey Gallo Appreciation Thread *****

49,916 Views | 560 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Porkchop Express
YokelRidesAgain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big news for the thread:

1) Miguel Sano is back in Major League Baseball, having missed over 2.5 months after injuring himself during a celebration. Oh, but it gets better. What was Sano celebrating? A game winning fiasco, on which Sano himself ran into what looked like a sure out on the base paths, only for the Detroit Tigers to fling the ball into the outfield while botching a rundown on one of the slowest players in the league (I was there; I have seen better defense in T ball).

View that nonsense here.

2) But the bigger news is this: in admiring Miguel Sano's statistics, it became apparent that he achieved his feat of reaching 1000 Ks in 661 games with significantly more at bats and plate appearances than King Donkey, by virtue of batting in the middle of the Twins' order for several years.

By my unofficial count, Sano recorded his 1000th strikeout in at bat 2405, and plate appearance 2744. Both appear to be all time records.

Donkey is currently at 987 Ks with 2243 at bats, and 2670 plate appearances. Assuming he can get another 50 or so at bats, he will surely eclipse Sano's mark. He has 74 plate appearances to work with, which also looks very, very likely based on his performance this year (2.64 PA/strikeout).

You heard it here first: Donkey will make history this year.

Now we just have to wait and see which jersey he will be wearing when he does it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TarponChaser
Flipping channels the other night after the Astros swept the Mariners and come across the Mets playing when who do I see DH'ing for the Queens Mets? Daniel Vogelfats.

What kind of a world are we living in where a schlubby dewsher like Vogelfats, the epitome of a South Florida meathead, is a substantially bigger offensive threat than King Donkey?
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Pay attention, Boone. This is what a good manager looks like.

Twins skipper Rocco Baldelli benches All Star first baseman Luis Arraez, who is batting .341 to lead the major leagues, to make room for Miguel Sano, who has a .379. That would be outstanding as a batting average, not too shabby as an on base percentage, and not very good as a slugging percentage. (It is actually his OPS). But he does have 21 Ks in only 54 ABs, a Joey-esque performance.

The fans want strikeouts, and strikeouts is what they shall have.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
And just like clockwork, Boone benches Joey for a national TV game. Look, Boone. I don't pay to stream basic cable to watch Isiah Kiner-Falefa.

I want greatness! I want the BIG DONKEY!
redline248
AG
So Stanton goes on the IL and Boone thinks he doesn't need the Donkey? What a moron
YokelRidesAgain
AG
JOEY PINCH HITTING AS THE TYING RUN WITH 2 OUTS IN THE EIGHTH!

How many strikeouts to go in a Yankee uniform? Hold on to these moments, folks!

K swinging!!! Treasure the memories!!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Donkey is out of the lineup again tonight, no doubt to preserve his trade value as the deadline approaches.
The Porkchop Express
The team that trades for Joey G is going to have a well-rested strikeout machine hitherto untold in this multiverse.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Yankees trade three minor league schlubs to the Royals for Andrew Benintendi; Joey not included in the deal.

Tuesday can't come soon enough.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Boone, who knows no shame, is forcing King Donkey to play in the same lineup as his "replacement" Andrew Benintendi, who thinks he is special because he is batting .320 with a paltry 52 strikeouts in 347 at bats. If Joey had that many ABs, he would be leading the majors in Ks.

Has he realized, too late, that without Joey there can be no victory?
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The stealer of left field, Andrew Benintendi, Ks looking in his first Yankee at bat.
toucan82
YokelRidesAgain said:

The stealer of left field, Andrew Benintendi, Ks looking in his first Yankee at bat.

See, it's not Gallo's fault!!!!!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey, not about to let this punk show him up in his own house, also strikes out looking.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
If this is Joey's farewell performance in the Bronx, he is going to send the fans out with a show! K swinging for strikeout number two, and we can officially begin the..

COUNTDOWN TO 1000!!!

Joey has 990 career strikeouts, and there are only 10 left to go for him to join the 1000 K club.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
3 at bats, 3 Ks for Joey, who is striking out like a man possessed!

Seems unlikely that he will get a fourth at bat tonight, unless some weird things happen in extra innings.

Perhaps some of the magic of the old park will transfer over to "New Yankee Stadium" and Joey will get a chance to leave the fans with a Golden Sombrero as a lasting memory of his greatness.

Joey has 991 career strikeouts, with 9 to go to join the 1000 K club!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
That sneaky loser, Aaron Judge, who added 2 strikeouts tonight to claim sole possession of 5th place in MLB, hits the first pitch he sees 431 feet to center to end the game and rob Joey of a chance for one last sombrero in pinstripes.

Jealousy is an ugly thing.

ETA: Let it be noted, however, that with Joey back in his rightful place in the starting lineup, the Yankees break their two game, Joey-less losing streak. I am going to laugh when the Yankees trade Joey to the Round Rock Express and promptly collapse to lose the AL East to the Toronto Pretty Little Bluebirds.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
This is really sad.

From The Athletic. (paywall)

Quote:

"Every time I see a Yankees hat, every time I see a Yankees jersey, it's something I'm going to have to understand," Gallo said at Yankee Stadium on Thursday. "I didn't play well as a Yankee. I wish I had."

Quote:

"I feel bad," Gallo said. "It's something I'm gonna have to really live with for the rest of my life. It's going to be tough. I didn't play well, I didn't live up to expectations. And that's a tough pill to swallow."

Joey is right, of course. We all expected him to smash the single season strikeout record, and it's not his fault he didn't. It's that ****ing Boone.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
As expected, Donkey is on the bench tonight versus a left handed starter so Boone can play with his shiny new Benintendi toy.

Miguel Sano, however, is getting another start to see if he can decline further from a .088 batting average and a 4.4 strikeout to hit ratio.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Miguel Sano, man, I can't even.

3 at bats last night, 3 Ks swinging. His slash lines for the year: .083/.211/.133. My old man used to say that anyone with two arms, legs and eyes should be able to bat .100; apparently not.

Sano's strikeout percentage is a healthy .417, not quite up to Donkey's standard of .455 but still outstanding.
The Porkchop Express
Projected across a 162-game season, Miguel Sano would go

40 for 486 with 8 home runs, 8 runs scored, 24 RBI, and 202 strikeouts.

His 162-game average as a major leaguer includes 243 strikeouts.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
thegoodolag15
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

That would truly be one of the greatest stat lines in the history of forever.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
King Donkey not playing in today's matinee. I expect that he will be kept wrapped up in bubble wrap until Tuesday for the lucky team that gets to absorb his greatness.
The Porkchop Express
thegoodolag15 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

He's making $9.25 million this year for that performance. Has a team option for $14 million next year, with a buyout of $2.75 million - so both him and King Donkey will be on the open market. if some team, I'm going to suggest the Rangers, can lock both of them up, it's Bash Brothers 2.0, minus the home runs, RBI, 40-40 seasons, MVPs, ROYs, and championships.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

thegoodolag15 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

He's making $9.25 million this year for that performance.
ESPN projections have Sano finishing the year with 8 big hits. That is $1,156,250 per hit.

Tell you what, Twins. I'm right here in St Paul and I'd be happy to come over to the ballpark for the next homestand. I'll put on a jersey, close my eyes and swing at major league pitching for only $300,000 per hit. Admittedly, you're probably (OK, definitely) going to lose the one extra home run Sano is expected to hit, but even if I double Sano's projected hit total for the rest of the year (3 hits), you'll only owe me $1.8 million, for a savings of over $7 million.

Heckuva deal! Think about it.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
In a crushing blow to the hopes of a 3 man strikeout title, Adam Duvall of the Atlanta Braves is apparently out for the year.

If only there were a soon to be unemployed strikeout god with the ability to play outfield with something approaching competence on the open market. Hmm.
redline248
AG
Matt Olsen passed him a few days ago. They are still 3 strong
YokelRidesAgain
AG
redline248 said:

Matt Olsen passed him a few days ago. They are still 3 strong
Huzzah! Great to see a front office that appreciates the importance of depth at the strikeout position!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
On the other hand, you have a thoroughly stupid franchise like the Minnesota Twins, who have decided that Miguel Sano is "injured" again after his triumphant return, during which he went 0 for 6 with 4 strikeouts.
The Porkchop Express
We could be entering the last 24-48 hours of the Manhattan Project 2- Joey Gallo's incredible time in New York City.

A recap of that experience so far:

140 games played
501 plate appearances
421 at-bats
65 runs scored
67 hits
11 doubles
1 triple
25 home runs
46 RBI
2 steals
77 walks
194 strikeouts
.159 batting average
.461 strikeout average

Joey's up to 991 strikeouts for his career. I'm making something special for #1,000. He deserves it.

Also thought it's high time we start tracking Joey's Hall of Fame chances. The two things that automatically get you in the Hall of Fame are 3,000 hits and/or 500 home runs. Here's an initial look at where King Donkey stands.

500 home runs: Joey's already got 170, so he's a third of the way there. It's taken him 708 games to get to 170, so he'll get to 500 home runs around his 2,082nd game. Assuming he gets away from the toxicity of Aaron Boone to a team that lets him play 162 times a year, he'll get there in 8 more years when he's 36.

3,000 hits: He's already got ALMOST one sixth of the amount right now! On that torrid pace, he'll get to 3,000 hits in his 4,699th game. That's coming up in 24-1/2 seasons - so mark your calendar for 2046!

100 Sacrifice flies: I think we can all agree that Joey's second career sacrifice fly last year was a huge burden off his shoulders and has set him up for some great things, as evidenced by his record-setting performance so far in 2022. If you look at the all-time SF leader list, you notice that you have some really great players headlining it, most of the guys who have hit triple digits are in the Hall or will be one day. Eddie Murray, Ripken, Yount, Aaron, Pujols, etc.
Joey has gotten off to a slow start in this department, but he loves to hit fly balls that go a long way, but not all the way out. So he's got 2 through 708 games. Do the math to get to 100, which would be tied for 33rd all-time, and we're talking about him needing to play in just 35,400 games for his career. Now granted, no one has ever played in more than 3,562 games in a career, so Joey's going to have to really push through some of the wear and tear associated with a longer career. Probably going to need some of that cryo-freeze technology they used on Ted Williams and/or Walt Disney to get him there, because at his current pace, Joey won't get to 100 career sac flys until early in the 2236 season.

YokelRidesAgain
AG
Doesn't look like we're going to see Joey in a Yankees uniform again, unless he gets in the game as a defensive replacement.
Faustus
Altuve and Brantley are tied with 46 sac flies a piece, which tied them for No. 423 all time.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/SF_career.shtml
The Porkchop Express
I feel hope rising in my heart that there are less than 24 hours to go before Joey is rescued from the toxicity of Aaron Boone.

YokelRidesAgain
AG
I'm so angry about how Boone has mistreated King Donkey that I'm considering doing something truly antisocial to vent my outrage, like reproducing or retransmitting game footage without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.
redline248
AG
It might be happening! Here's a team that is not afraid of their lineup piling up strikeouts!

YokelRidesAgain
AG
Don't even THINK about keeping Joey on the team as insurance, Cashman.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2022/08/joey-gallo-sums-up-yankees-fans-feeling-like-a-piece-of-crap-on-eve-of-new-start-q-a.html

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.