***** RETURN OF THE KING: The 2022 Joey Gallo Appreciation Thread *****

48,882 Views | 560 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?

There was an idea.

Mark Reynolds knows this, called the single-season strikeout record.

The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable whiffers, see if they could become something far less.

See if they could focus solely on their own stats when we needed them to,
to swing at the pitches we never could.

JOEY GALLO got traded still believing in that idea. IN HEROES

Like the mighty Phoenix rising out of Arizona, Joey Gallo returns at full force for the 2022 season, and with him, the return of the Joey Gallo appreciation thread.

This thread is built for the celebration of the strikeout. The whiff. The sound before the fury. The ability of a man to fail miserably to do the most fundamental thing about the game of baseball. Hitting the ball.

It is not here to disparage other posters. If that is your purpose, I will ask the moderators to strike down your posts with great vengeance and furious anger. This thread is satirical in nature. If you can't grasp that or if it upsets you, GO AWAY.

This is a place of harmony.
Of balance.
Of the inner strength that makes a
man look up into the heavens and think, "The count's 0-2, let me go ahead and swing with my eyes closed."

Joey Gallo is the patron saint of this thread.

He is our alpha and our omega. In 2021, he finished the season with 213 strikeouts, the most of his career and the 5th most all-time.

If he hadn't been traded or if Aaron Boone knew how to manage a baseball team, he might very well have broken the record.

Late in the season, King Donkey gave us the Grand Conjunction - a moment in time
where he had 200 strikeouts and his batting average was .200, as foretold by Mother Aughra on the world of Thra during the age of the Skesis and the UrRu.

What's Joey after in 2022?

The all-time strikeout record for a single season is 223, set by Mark Reynolds in 2009.

The American League record is 222 set by Adam Dunn in 2012.

Joey Gallo has primed for the season by hitting .200 in spring training with 13 strikeouts in 30 at-bats. He's also really cut down on his walks, with only 4. That's exciting because that gives him more chances to swing and miss.

There are only 15 instances of someone striking out 200 times in a season, and Joey Gallo is responsible for two of those seasons. He also struck out 207 times in 2018, and just missed the 200-mark in 2017 with 196.

200 strikeouts is not an easy accomplishment. It means you have to:

1) Really suck at making contact
2) Be on a team that doesn't give a **** that you strike out a lot
3) Hit just enough home runs to justify how much you strike out.

Last year, there were 6 guys who struck out at least 180 times, and we celebrate them all.
  • Matt Chapman whiffed 202 times
  • Adolis Garcia got to 194
  • MVP Shohei Ohtani whiffed 189 times
  • Javier Baez reached 184
  • Miguel Sano got to 183.

Chapman is going to have to get comfortable striking out north of the border as was traded to the Blue Jays this off-season.

Garcia really turned it on late to get to 194 strikeouts against just 32 walks. It's great that he plays for the
Rangers because of the old prophecy. Just like there must always be a Stark in Winterfell, there must always be a guy in Arlington capable of striking out 200 times in a season.

Ohtani, if I recall correctly based on my fantasy baseball team a year ago, had 43 HR and 97 RBI at the All-Star break, then hit 3 homers the rest of the way and struck out 170 times in 80 games. A promising finish.

Baez jumped from the Cubs to the Mets last year, and now plays for Detroit. He was phenomenal with the Cubs - 131 strikeouts in 91 games. Going to Detroit will have him facing the ghosts of magnificent whiffers like Cecil Fielder and Rob Deer. Let's hope he can measure up.

Sano got to 183 strikeouts in just 135 games and had 90 in 53 games during the mini-season of 2020.He's almost 29 so when that bat speed starts slowing down he might really start sucking more. Something to follow.

I would be remiss to not mention Eugenio Suarez, my second-favorite non-Astro in the world (Ser Gallo-had clearly #1). Suarez was Joey G's prime challenger for the first half of last year, finishing with 171 strikeouts and hitting .198. The Reds eventually shut him down because he was so terrible. But earlier in the season, they started batting him leadoff so he could strikeout more, one of the smartest moves I've ever seen. Now he's been traded to Seattle, because I guess that's a move you want to make if you're Seattle?

Of course, most of these guys are just the appetizers, because King Donkey is the real filet mignon in this smorgasbord of strikeout entrees.

Let's go over his 2021 season one more time.

• 498 at bats
  • 99 hits
  • 38 HR
  • 77 RBI
  • 213 strikeouts
  • .199 batting average
  • 111 walks

The guy had 114 more strikeouts than hits. His career high in hits for a season is 103 back in 2018.
After the trade to New York, he was the anti-Babe Ruth, 188 at-bats, 88 strikeouts, a .160 batting average. And if the Yankees don't lock him up this year, all that sweet, sweet talent will be on the open market in 2023.

A brief look at Joey's assault on other strikeout records.
  • He is 42nd among active players with 885 through 7 seasons. That puts him 115 away from 1,000 in his career. At the the pace he ended last year with, he should have that by late June.
  • If he stays healthy and can get to 200 strikeouts this year, he'll be up into the top 20 active.
  • He starts 2022 tied for 464th all-time with Omar Moreno and Jonathan Schoop.
  • He needs 3 strikeouts to tie Rusty Staub for 461st. That chump Staub took 11,229 plate
  • appearances to get to 888 career strikeouts. Joey's at 885 in NINE THOUSAND FEWER plateappearances. Another 200 strikeout season will get him into the top 300, rareified air withlegends like Garry Templeton and Preston Wilson and Jeff Francouer.

I'd be remiss if I don't shout out some of the all-time greats trying to move up the charts
before they hang up their spikes for good.

• Justin Upton is 52 strikeouts short of 2,000 for his career. Only 6 other guys have done that. Unfortuntely, last week the Angels decided they wanted to pay him $28 million to not play baseball at all. We'll keep an eye on Jussy Uppy and see who picks him up.
  • Miguel Cabrera is 70 strikeouts short of 2,000. He's 39 and it's sort of hard to imagine how much
  • he'll play this year for Detroit. He's hit 56 home runs total since 2016, during which time the Tigers have paid him $176 million. Plus the $32 million they owe him this year. And the $32 million they owe him next year. Oops.

One final note, if you don't like this thread or don't like me, here's an idea. Ignore this thread and ignore me right along with it. I'm posting about Joey Gallo and the strikeout kings of Major League Baseball until he
retires or I die, whichever comes first.

Let the swings and misses begin!

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
redline248
AG
I'm along for this ride on Big Donkey
All I do is Nguyen
To hell with the Jankees and Gallo loves that the traditional shift is gone
Mathguy64
AG
I'll call my shot. 209 K's and a .209 BA. A true Grand Conjunction.
The Porkchop Express
Yes, please - everyone who wants to, post your guesses for:

Gallo's K total:
Gallo's batting average:
One player you think can challenge him for the crown:
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
wangus12
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Gallo's K total: Down year, barely hits 200
Gallo's batting average: .218
One player you think can challenge him for the crown: Sano
agproducer
AG
I appreciate your commitment to the cause.

I see Gallo with 218Ks, .203 average.

I think a dark horse will challenge. I think it will be fan favorite, Aaron Judge. Lest we forget he had 208 in 2017.
Mathguy64
AG
Side bet. Judge + Stanton + Gallo > 550
agproducer
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Side bet. Judge + Stanton + Gallo > 550

What's the over/under on Stanton ABs?
The Porkchop Express
Judge has cut down on his #s, unfortunately - 158 Ks in 633 PA last year. The years previous he was really in a groove, 152 in 498 PA in 2018 and 141 in 447 PA in 2019.

Stanton had 579 PA last year after just 166 in 2019/2020 combined. He had 211 strikeouts in 2018 (second to King Donkey) but has never had more than 170 beyond that.

I think we should also go Gallo/Judge/Stanton > 12 stolen bases combined.

Stanton has 1 stolen base in the past 3 years.
Joey had 6 last year with Texas and 0 with the Yankees.
Judge had 6 last year for the whole year.

1988PA-Aggie
Let me get this out of the way...I am a life-long Yankee fan.

But I am thoroughly disgusted with not just the results over the last 5-7 years, but the direction and philosophy of this organization. And I blame it entirely on the GM, Brian Ca$hman. He has well over $200m every year to 'play' with, and the results are miserable. Especially when Tampa has much better results with one third of the money. It's embarrassing.

And Gallo is the perfect example as to the problems with the philosophy. I know he is a lefty, but his average is low and strikeouts....well, that is why there is a thread dedicated to just that?! When I learned that Gallo was returning, I knew our season was going to be just another 'average' season.

I cannot stand the 'home run or strike out' strategy that has been employed by this organization for years. We will continue to make the playoffs and get booted out first or second round as long as Cashman is in charge. But as soon as Gallo hits a HR, everyone will get excited, then have to wait 10-12 games until another, meanwhile stranding tons of RISP and striking out 1/3 of the time....at least.

Rant over, thank you.
wbt5845
AG
Does he still just have the one career sacrifice fly? Or did he finally get a second one.
The Porkchop Express
Got #2 last year!
redline248
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Got #2 last year!
Makes me wonder....who has the 2nd fewest Sac Flies among active players with at least - say - 1000 plate appearances?
The Porkchop Express
redline248 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Got #2 last year!
Makes me wonder....who has the 2nd fewest Sac Flies among active players with at least - say - 1000 plate appearances?
Sac files have a pretty interesting history when you look them up.

Eddie Murray has the career record with 128. The record for the most in a season is Gil Hodges of the '54 Dodgers with 19. Bobby Bonilla of all people is tied with Roy White ('71 Yankees) for the most in AL history in a season with 17.

It's fairly hilarious that several guys have had more in a game (3) than Joey Gallo has in his career. The most recent was Edgar Martinez in 2002.

Most at-bats in a season without a sac fly is a bizarre three-way tie at 680 between Frank Taveras of the Pirates, Pete Rose, and Kirby Puckett.

The guys tied for 1000th place all-time have 26 sac flys. So Joey G is not exactly knocking on that door.

The Porkchop Express
Bad weather has moved Joey G's 2022 debut from Thursday to Friday.

aggiephoenix02
In! HaHa…
-This has been a message from the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President
Faustus
NM
The Porkchop Express
Congrats to Willy Adames on the first strikeout of the season!

King Donkey season prediction
.216 average
225 strikeouts
Faustus
207 average
217 strikeouts
2 sac flies (I know this seems unlikely, but I gotta feeling)
The Porkchop Express
Even without King Donkey at play, it was a special opening night in baseball, as not one, but TWO Golden Sombreros happened.

The first was by the Reds; left fielder Aristides "Don't Call Me Corazon" Aquino, who I've never heard of, but who went 1-for-5 with 4 whiffs vs. the Braves. Maybe there's some sort of magical strikeout demon that jumps body to body and it left Eugenio Suarez when he got traded to Seattle and is now in this guy?

The second was in the SAME GAME, an old friend of the program, Braves shortstop and 1950s soap opera star Dansby Swanson had the true Sombrero *aka El Sombrero Verdad" by going 0-for-4 with 4 whiffs, leaving ESPN to comically project his season stats at 648 at bats, 0 hits, 648 strikeouts.

Jose Rooster time starts at 12:05 central on Friday!
dixichkn
AG
This thread is beautiful

P1
The Porkchop Express
Joey Jo Jo is about to lead off the bottom of the 2nd for the Yankees.
The Porkchop Express
Strike looking
Foul ball
Ball one
Struck out looking

KING DONKEY

The Porkchop Express
Foul ball
Foul ball
Strike out swinging.

It's April 8, and King Donkey is LOCKED IN.
Mathguy64
AG
I said 209 K and .209. They just said he's a .206 career hitter so I may have overestimated out boy's ability to hit and underestimated his ability to whiff. P
The Porkchop Express
He's finally comfortable to start a season. Not having to worry about carrying the Rangers to 72 wins every year.
Mathguy64
AG
And my side bet may require the over. The trio is at 5 Ks half way through game 1. On pace for a cool 1000
The Porkchop Express
Bottom of the 6th

Strike Looking
Strike Swinging
Ball
Strike Swinging.

0-for-3, 3 strikeouts. Joey, you magnificent *******!

BCSWguru
Draws a walk in next appearance. Boo.
The Porkchop Express
Bottom of the 8th

Ball
Ball
Strike looking
Foul Ball
Ball
Ball

The Three True Outcome season is underway.
Johnsy3
AG

It's just so beautiful
Mathguy64
AG
Stanton with a Yankees Stadium RF gift HR and a sombrero. True outcomes indeed.
TarponChaser
Is he still looking for that second career sac fly?
The Porkchop Express
This research is by no means complete, but from what I've found so far there are 3 instances where 3 teammates have combined for 500+ strikeouts in a season.

2018 Rangers got to 503 with Donkey (207), Shin-Soo Choo (156) and Robinson Chirinos (140).

2016 Orioles had 526 with Chris Davis (219), Mark Trumbo (170), and Jonathan Schoop (137)

2010 Diamondbacks reached 535 with Mark Reynolds (211), Adam LaRoche (172), and Justin Upton (152). That feels like it must be the record.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.