***** RETURN OF THE KING: The 2022 Joey Gallo Appreciation Thread *****

49,923 Views | 560 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Corporal Punishment said:

970 career Ks…

Will he be the fastest to 1000 in MLB history?

Also, he trails Zack Greinke in career BA by 22 points.
Sadly, no, this is a record that Joey will not break.

MIguel Sano, who I'm still not sure isn't just a fan who found a Twins jersey, reached 1,000 strikeouts in 2021 in just his 661st game.

The previous record was 747 by the living deity among us, Sir Mark Reynolds Esquire.

Joey is unfortunately already 689 games into his career, meaning the best he can do is be second fastest.

Other legendary names on the fastest to 1000 Ks list include

Chris Davis, 816
Rob Deer, 828
Ryan Howard, 843
Giancarlo Stanton, 848
Adam Dunn, 874
Pete Incaviglia, 927
Russell Branyan, 938
BJ Upton, 948

You know, I spent about a month trekking through rainforests, visiting medicine men, and unlocking ancient pagan secrets on a mad quest to prove that Joey Gallo was actually a reincarnated version of Pete Incaviglia, but I was wrong, he's more than that. He's King Donkey.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Faustus
Put him in the Yankees' record book.

redline248
AG
As much selfish fun as it is for this thread, how does he keep getting ABs?
The Porkchop Express
redline248 said:

As much selfish fun as it is for this thread, how does he keep getting ABs?
At this point I'm assuming it's to get him some looks for whoever they can sucker into trading for him.

Plus some of those strikeouts have a really nice velocity on them.

Yankees' Joey Gallo goes hitless again as nightmarish drought continues - the NY Post chimes in on the 0-for-26 streak with 14 strikeouts

This one says the Phillies are emerging as a candidate since Bryce Harper is out until August. That's a good idea. Harper and Gallo have combined for 2 MVP trophies in their careers. If Gallo and Kyle Schwarber get together, the force of their mighty swings and misses could power 1,000 wind turbines in and around our nation's capital. Schwarber has 95 whiffs in 75 games and Joey has 85 in 63 games. That's some special times ahead.

In other news, Patrick Wisdom got to 100 strikeouts last night, the second player to do so this year. The Cubs have played 76 games this year so he's on a very real 213-strikeout pace right now.

Our main man Eugenio Suarez is up to 107 for the Mariners. Team RainDrop has played 78 games, meaning he's still on a torrid pace of 222, which would tie the AL record and is one off the all-time record.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
The Porkchop Express
Also, Guardians defensive end Franmil Reyes returned from the DL on June 21 after missing 28 games and promptly struck out 4 times in a win over the Twins. He's piled up 16 strikeouts in 8 games as he tries to make up for lost time, and is already back up to a tie for 31st with 73. If he says healthy, this might look like that chick from Kentucky in the 4x4 a few weeks ago as he zooms back into the chase.
redline248
AG
Oh man I'm so happy
The Porkchop Express
Boone doesn't put Joey in the starting lineup so God rains out the game in Cleveland.

Can I get an amen?
Mathguy64
AG
Damn. Wrong thread
Johnsy3
AG
Saw this posted on Reddit, but Vladdy Jr has more career hits than Joey Gallo

Vlad: 447 H in 420 G
Gallo: 446 H in 689 G
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Johnsy3 said:

Saw this posted on Reddit, but Vladdy Jr has more career hits than Joey Gallo

Vlad: 447 H in 420 G
Gallo: 446 H in 689 G
Yeah? Well, Vladdy's team is 12 games back of Joey's in the AL East.

See, a truly great team player like Joey makes the other team's pitcher throw all his best pitches to strike him out, so his teammates can see all those good pitches and then hit them, whereas a selfish player like Vlad Jr. just pursues personal glories like "batting average", "home runs", "hits", and "slugging percentage", to name a few.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Of course, Joey can't do any of that when his idiot manager benches him.

Joey has been replaced by Triple A refugee Miguel Andujar for Game One of today's doubleheader. Andujar is demanding a trade to a team that will let him play Major League Baseball even though his OPS is even lower than Joey Gallo's. With a stat like that, this usurper is lucky he hasn't been traded to a team in the Texas League for an infield tarp.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Porkchop Express
Eventually, mangement will see what a cancer Boone is and get him out of there. Maybe go ahead and make Joey player-manager and right the ship as the Yankees flounder to a 56-21 start to the season.

Going to the beach for a few days, but rest assured I'll be just as invested in the thread and plugged into Joey Gallo's inner circle as always.

Eventually Boone will fall and Joey Gallo will stand. The pursuit of the all-time strikeout record will stand!

YokelRidesAgain
AG
Adding insult to injury, Joey Gallo is hitting behind his potential replacement, Andujar, in Game 2!

The sniveling little toad just got himself picked off first base with Joey at bat--how often do you see Joey Gallo get picked off first? Never, right?

Joseph shows him The Way with a K swinging.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Our Joseph is up, first and third with one out.

Could it be the third sacrifice fly of his long and illustrious career?

UPDATE: No. Joey is cheated out of a sac fly or a K by the pitcher's inability to throw strikes.
The Porkchop Express
4 more strikeouts for Framil Reyes today in the double header, trying to make up for lost time.

I found some footage of him training extra as he tries to get back into contention for the title. Suarez is in the limelight now but not for long!

YokelRidesAgain
AG
Sorry for week off last week, but we're back with another edition of--

Last week in Ks
6-26 to 7-2 edition

Donkey Watch
For connoisseurs of the thrilling strikeout, there is no man in baseball more hated than the villainous Yankee manager Aaron "****ing" Boone. Boone is openly oppressing our hero, Joey "Oh Joey, You're So Fine, You're So Fine, You Blow My Mind, Hey Joey, Hey Joey" Gallo. For all practical purposes, Joey was benched for 3 of 7 games last week, technically entering another as a pinch runner without an AB. Joey is doing some of the most beautiful work of his career, going 1 for 12 last week with 2 singles, 2 walks, and 6 strikeouts for an outstanding .500 strikeout percentage. With 87 strikeouts on the year (T-12), he is now 22 Ks back of the MLB leader, Eugenio Suarez. If Boone had allowed Joey to play 79 games like a good manager (for example, Suarez's manager, Scott Servais), Joey would project to have 105 Ks and be breathing right down Suarez's neck. Instead, he has played only 65. This is a national outrage. Manfred should do something.

MLB strikeout leaders
A third player reaches the 100 K threshold at the midpoint of the season.

1. Eugenio Suarez, SEA, 109
2. Patrick Wisdom, CHC, 105
3. Chris Taylor, LAD, 100
4. Kyle Schwarber, PHI 99
5. Trevor Story, BOS, 95

Golden Sombrero awards
6-28 Michael Chavis, 1B, PIT
7-1 Kole Calhoun, LF, TEX
7-2 Mike Trout, CF, LAA
(Trout's third Golden this year! Do you think Phil Nevin is going to make Mike Trout watch some stumblebum play center field for him? I think not!)
7-2 Kyle Schwarber, DH, PHI

redline248
AG
Did Joey end his 0-26 steak? Aw, man.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
redline248 said:

Did Joey end his 0-26 steak? Aw, man.
Look, Joey is a professional. He understands that if he accidentally gets a hit and Marwin Gonzalez doesn't get to look at enough pitches batting after him, he just has to get back up there the next at-bat and strike out, so Marwin has the best chance to excel.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey has started a new 0 for 5 streak, with 4 strikeouts. He bests Franny Reyes today, 2-1, despite an extra at bat for the Franimal.
redline248
AG
He is a true master of his craft
YokelRidesAgain
AG
No Joey for the second day in a row as he is benched today following a day off!

The Porkchop Express
YokelRidesAgain said:

No Joey for the second day in a row as he is benched today following a day off!

Aaron Boone's jealousy is ruining The Year of the Donkey.

Mathguy64
AG
Boone cannot keep the Grand Conjunction from happening. He's on pace for the big day around K number 160.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The Yankees are being pounded by the lowly Pirates tonight. Without Joey's leadership they are lost.
redline248
AG
Unable to go do dive, at the moment, but a quick check tells me the Big 3 in Atlanta (Duval, Swanson, Riley) have combined for 276 strikeouts.

Brandon Marsh, Mike Trout and Jared Walsh combine for 271.

Mariners are at 266, but 206 of them are from Suarez and Rodriguez. Come on, Jesse Winkler, pick it up.

Yankees lack of commitment to Gallo has their trio (with Judge and Stanton) at 248

Patrick Wisdom is trying to bolster the Cubs (237) to the crown, but he's barely getting any help from his mates. Happ only 67 and Contreras at 64.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Well, whaddaya know?

Ma Boone is allowing Joey to play.

He's hitting in the 7 hole tonight, right in front of Isiah Kiner-Falefa, who has more RBIs than Joey.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
With a swinging K in the first inning, Joey Gallo's strikeout streak is extended to 15 games! Take that, Joe DiMaggio!

Since June 18, when the streak began, Joey is hitting .030/.179/.030 with 19 strikeouts.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey Gallo is on fire tonight!

He is a K looking away from the True Outcome cycle (K swinging, K looking, walk, home run) this evening after a walk and a solo shot. Slash lines since June 18 are now a blistering .059/.219/.147. He also ties shortstop Ralph Kiner-Falafel for 9th on the team in RBIs.

Cooperstown Cashman better strike while the iron is hot and give King Donkey the contract extension he deserves.
toucan82
The homer and walk are a little disappointing but I understand he has to do enough to stay in the lineup
YokelRidesAgain
AG
We narrowly missed what would have been a superlative moment in a season full of them for Sir Joseph.

The Pirates second baseman, who is now pitching in a 15 16-0 game, got Joey to a 2-2 count. If the ump hadn't squeezed him on the next 2 pitches, Joey could have added a strikeout against a position player to his crown of accomplishments.

Joey has to settle for a 1 for 4 night with a home run, 2 walks and 2 strikeouts.

Hopefully Boone learned his lesson. Bench Joey, lose to one of the worst teams in the National League. Play Joey, win 16 to nothing.
The Porkchop Express
Joey's back in a tie for 10th this morning at 91 strikeouts. He's 21 behind Eugenio Suarez for the league, or as Joey calls it "a couple of double headers."

He's up to 976 for his career, tying him for 368th place with Travis Hafner, who had 4 incredible years for the Indians in the 2000s and then vanished from existence.
redline248
AG
Wow, forgot about Hafner. He was a fantasy keeper for me a couple years
The Porkchop Express
According to ESPN, Joey is hitting .032 in late and close situations.
thegoodolag15
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

That's good right?
Mathguy64
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

I'm surprised he actually has registered an AB in a late and close situation. If I were Boone I wouldn't let him have one.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.