***** RETURN OF THE KING: The 2022 Joey Gallo Appreciation Thread *****

49,842 Views | 560 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After saying on record there would be no platoon in RF, Aaron Boone used King Donkey only as a defensive replacement last night.

Dansby Swanson struck out for a 14th game in a row to start the season. He's up to 22 on the year. That puts him on pace for 254 as the Braves struggle out of the gates at 6-8.

Votto and Aquino each had 2 for the Reds last night. Aquino also went 0-for-2 and his now hitting .056 on the year. The Reds are 2-11 so they'll be in no hurry to pull him. The two of thoem and Jo Adell of the Angels all reached 20 K last night for the year. Aquino has 20 in just 11 games.

The Astros pulled off a spectacular fear of having their entire starting lineup strikeout each once in their 1-hit loss to the Angels. 15 strikeouts all together - 3 each from Jeremy Pena and action star Niko Goodrum.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
The Porkchop Express
Joey G was back in the swing of things Thursday night, recording an actual hit - a single, of course, and striking out once as the Yankees' mighty offense pounded out 0 runs against Detroit.

With a week and change to go in April, our patron saint is hitting .135 with 0 runs scores, 0 extra-base hits, and 0 RBI. His OPS would be great if it were only his OBP - .391.

This is by far the worst, and by the worst, I mean the best, April of his long, storied career. He hit .217 last April when he still with America's Team, if America hated winning the World Series - the Arlington Rangers.

In April 2019, he hit .264, which is like a normal person hitting .953. In 2018, he hit .216 in April.

His stats since being traded to the Yankes are lengen - wait for it - dary.

Let's take a look.

71 games
271 plate appearances
225 at-bats
35 hits
43 walks
104 strikeouts

.155 batting average
.360 slugging percentage
.295 on-base percentage
.655 OPS

104 strikeouts in 71 games is a pace for 237 in a season.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
The Porkchop Express
Also of note, Mariners rookie strikeout sensation Julio Rodriguez had his first career Golden Sombrero last night to tie Dansby Swanson for the overall lead at 22. Rodriguez has 4 games of at least 3 strikeouts thisy ear and is hitting .136.
The Porkchop Express
Pico de Gallo was extra spicy tonight: 0 for 4 with 2 more strikeouts. He is now 5 for 41 this year with 16 strikeouts, on pace for 194.

It's April 22 and he has 0 runs scored, 0 extra base hits, and 0 RBI. Batting average down to .122.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The Winemaker is playing four dimensional chess here. Knowing that shattering the single season strikeout record would be really bad for his confidence, he is playing so poorly that his manager has no choice but to bench him.

This will pay off by August, when he will hit a home run and be rewarded with 20 straight starts, during which he will bat .094 and strike out 36 times, followed by a trip to the IL.

Appreciate him now while you can, boys. We will not see his like again.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Two at bats with a walk, a hit AND a run scored, and only one strikeout.

Don't know what this world is coming to.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bearkatag15
AG
3 more strikeouts for the king today
bearkatag15
AG

Also this
redline248
AG
Is he worse than Chris Davis?
The Porkchop Express
<THE BRONX> - Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner announced at a press conference today that the team will immediately retire Joey Gallo's #13 after the extraordinary events of this weekend.
"Joey Gallo recorded a run and an RBI in back-to-back games on Saturday and Sunday," Steinbrenner said. "Something that prior to this moment, I would have thought impossible for him to achieve. He is a Yankee through and through and it's time for us to acknowledge that."
In a tour de force that had longtime Yankee fans recalling the greatest of Mantle, Dimaggio, Ruth, and Gehrig, Gallo blitzed the Guardians of the Galaxy with a scintillating 2-for-7 performance over 2 days, scoring a run, driving in another, striking out four times and recording his first extra-base hit of the season.
In the process, he improved his batting average to a scalding hot .146 on the year. his OPS a blistering .421.
The double was the biggest shock of the weekend, as some in the national media landscape had proposed that Gallo did not know what lied beyond first base after not turning left at the bag much in the past few seasons.
Gallo was humble, yet honest, in what made him head for second base on Sunday.
"Some men see second base as it is and say why; I dream things that never were, like a double, and say, why not?"
With the sudden torrent of offensive fury, Gallo is now on pace to score 10 runs, hit 10 doubles, and drive in 10 runs this season. The rare 10-10-10 achievement has only been done 75,391 other times in MLB history.
He also is up to 22 strikeouts, putting him on pace for 223, which would tie Mark Reynolds' all-time record.
When asked if the jersey retirement is a little premature, especially consider Alex Rodriguez, a seven-time all-Star who won 2 MVPs for the Bronx Bombers and helped them to the 2009 World Series brown, Steinbrenner curtly replied, "Joey Gallo doesn't need steroids to achieve his greatness."

YokelRidesAgain
AG
Winemaker's OPS for this game was 1.250. He may have entered the horrifying territory of positive WAR.

This was not anticipated before Memorial Day. Cooperstown Cashman should trade him for a bag of baseballs, while he still can.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Gallo hit a HR, what is happening today
redline248
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

Gallo hit a HR, what is happening today
just enough to keep him in the lineup is what's happening
The Porkchop Express
redline248
AG
That's pretty good
YokelRidesAgain
AG
AGAIN??!!

Two strikeouts is acceptable, but the big flies are intolerable.
The Porkchop Express
The perfect cocktail of a big hit and a couple of whiffs is exactly what Joey needs.

Aaron Boone dropped him to 7th in the lineup last night. You're not going to break the Reynolds Rap (thank you) hitting 7th, you won't generate enough at bats.

It's just pure science.

Found this great quote today today from Pete Rose admitting Joey Gallo can do thing son the field that Pete couldn't even dream of.

Franmil Reyes the 26-year-old, 6-5, 265-pound defensive end designated hitter for the Cleveland Spiders has taken over the strikeout lead and is our first man to 30 this year, doing it in just 18 games, which puts him on pace for 270 strikeouts.

In his last five games, he is 1-for-19 with 13 strikeouts. That's some salty dog there. In the last 3 games, he's 0-for-11 with 9 strikeouts.

The Braves now have 2 of the top 4 guys - Dansby Swanson at 28 and Adam Duvall at 26. Rookie Julio Rodriguez of the Mariners is up to 27. I figured he would start hitting home runs once I cut him from my fantasy team but so far no dice. Joey is tied for 4th with Duvall and Oakland's Sean Murphy at 26.

Gallo, Stanton, and Donaldson have combined for 71 in 18 games. That's on pace for 639 for the season, bearing in mind the MLB record for 3 teammates is 535 in a season.

King Donkey ascended into a tie with Cecil Cooper for 439th on the all-time strikeout list at 911. It took Joey about 5,500 fewer plate appearances to get there.

Miguel Cabrera needs just 1 K to tie Justin Upton for 7th on the all-time list. Upton is out of baseball so far this year. Cabrera is 53 away from 2,000.

The Porkchop Express
Back in the 6 hole today and off to a roaring start, 0 for 2 with 2 strikeouts. Up to 28 on the year,
The Porkchop Express
There's the hat trick today! 29 on the year, one off the MLB lead!

The sleeping giant has awakened!

YokelRidesAgain
AG
Winemaker could have had the golden sombrero had he not stupidly walked on four pitches without taking the bat off his shoulder.
The Porkchop Express
We wake up this Friday morning, the last Friday of April, to find Joey Gallo looming large, up to a tie for 2nd in the Majors in strikeouts. He's current 9 for 59 with 29 strikeouts through 19 games, putting him on pace for a season of 503 at-bats, 76 hits, 17 home runs, 43 RBI, and 247 strikeouts.

Now I think I'm finally realizing why teams weren't breaking their backs to sign Carlos Correa for a long-term deal this off-season. Why waste your money on top sirloin when the porterhouse is being marbled and will be ready to serve come October 2022?

Franmil Reyes got 1 whiff Thursday to up his total to 31. Ser Gallo-had is tied with 1960s du-wop singer Dansby Swanson at 29, with Mariners rookie Julio "Don't call me Griffey, because while I play the same position I am absolutely terrible" Rodriguez right behind them at 28.
The Porkchop Express
No Joey in the starting lineup tonight.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

No Joey in the starting lineup tonight.

Watching Gleyber Torres ground out weakly to short right when The Great Gallo could be striking out is infuriating.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey gets put in the game as a pinch runner in a 7-2 game. (Why? He could pull a hammy!) Minding his own business standing at first base dreaming of a K looking, the nefarious Torres drives him in with a home run.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Game called due to "weather" with Winemaker on deck waiting to strike out. These are the kinds of games that you look back on when you end the season a bit short of the record.

It was only a little bit of hail, too.
The Porkchop Express
Meanwhile Pedro Cerrano Franmil Reyes delivers ANOTHER Golden Sombrero, his second this WEEK.

Is this guy some sort of diversity hire?

He's down to .135 on the season with 2 homers, 5 RBI and 35 freaking strikeouts in 20 games. Has his pace up to 283.5 strikeouts.

redline248
AG
35! He has 32 while in the lineup as the DESIGNATED HITTER! Cleveland would probably get better results with a pitcher at the plate
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Tough matchup for our Joey today batting 7th against against Carlos Hernandez, a RHP with an ERA of 6.43. He has gone 2 for 5 against Hernandez in his career, with only one strikeout.

Still, I believe in him. I predict he will come through with a solid two strikeout day.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Donkey narrowly avoids an RBI as the runner holds up at 3rd on a single. This is not an auspicious beginning.

Still, if his teammates can knock this lousy pitcher out of the game, perhaps a reliever with better stuff will take over and help Joey get some Ks.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
GET THIS PALOOKA OUT OF HERE!

Winemaker with another single on a 3-2 count, now 2-2 with no strikeouts.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Gallo has been pulled from the game for something called Tim Locastro, a .182 hitting right handed batter facing a right handed reliever. Has Joey tweaked a gonad? Or is this just brilliant strategery by Aaron Boone?

Either way, this entire game was a wasted opportunity to make up ground on Franmil Reyes, who wasn't in the lineup today for some reason. I just hope Joey is healthy and ready to strike out tomorrow.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Rumor is that Gallo has groin tightness. This may be the end of his chance for the record.

None of this would have happened if he didn't exert himself reaching base twice!

ETA: Confirmed. Injured running out an infield single. Thoughts and prayers for Joey's groin, but my dude, you've got to keep your eyes on the prize and concentrate on not making contact.
The Porkchop Express
Joey has groin tightness because he's got the biggest balls in the Bronx. The strikeout thread continues, with or without King Donkey.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Joey has groin tightness because he's got the biggest balls in the Bronx. The strikeout thread continues, with or without King Donkey.
Miguel Sano was also dinged up and left his game with an injury today, which is a shame because he was absolutely dialed in. 0 for 2 with two strikeouts today, and batting .093 on the season. His weight issues (and his mind blowing incompetence) have limited his ability to be an everyday player. If Miggy could get 600 ABs in a season, I don't think even a prodigious talent like Gallo could match his capacity to strike out: no player in the long history of MLB has reached 1,000 strikeouts faster.
The Porkchop Express
Miguel Sano is like Icarus flying too close to the sun. I'm not sure that guy is even a baseball player, he just found a jersey one day and wrote his name on the lineup card. He is like Kevin Costner in The Postman.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.