***** RETURN OF THE KING: The 2022 Joey Gallo Appreciation Thread *****

49,920 Views | 560 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Porkchop Express
YokelRidesAgain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Signs for optimism as Donkey has not been placed on the IL yet.

As expected, he is not in the lineup today. Not that he should be in the lineup against left handed pitching, with a slash line of .059/.158/.059 and 11 strikeouts against lefties this year. He needs to get some bunt singles and an accidental home run or two against left handed pitching to remain in the lineup consistently, so he can do what he does best.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
In today's strikeout news, Cleveland DH Franmil Reyes continues his red hot (or is that red cold) start to the year, getting another 3 strikeouts to run his major league leading total to 38. This is Reyes' fourth game of the week with at least a sombrero (3K). Reyes also cleverly stroked a 2 run single-maybe that will keep him from being sent to the minors.

Big setback for preseason favorite Miguel Sano, who was already behind last year's strikeout pace, and is reportedly headed to the IL with a knee injury.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mathguy64
AG
3 Ks isn't a sombrero. It takes 4 for a golden, 5 for a platinum (AKA Olympic Rings) and 6 for the coveted and rare unicorn Double Platinum/Titanium Sombrero.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Mathguy64 said:

3 Ks isn't a sombrero. It takes 4 for a golden, 5 for a platinum (AKA Olympic Rings) and 6 for the coveted and rare unicorn Double Platinum/Titanium Sombrero.
Baseball Reference says otherwise:

"The golden sombrero comes from hockey's hat trick, three goals in a game. Thus a batter who strikes out three times in a game is said to wear the "sombrero"."

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Golden_Sombrero
redline248
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

Mathguy64 said:

Baseball Reference says otherwise:

"The golden sombrero comes from hockey's hat trick, three goals in a game. Thus a batter who strikes out three times in a game is said to wear the "sombrero"."

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Golden_Sombrero
I've read that before, but almost no one uses "sombrero" to refer 3 Ks. Golden sombrero is exclusively for 4 Ks. There may technically be a difference, but it's not commonly used for 3.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Whatever you call Reyes' last seven games, where he hit .036/.059/.036 with 18 strikeouts, I think we can all agree that it's terrible. Wonderfully, delightfully terrible.
redline248
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

Whatever you call Reyes' last seven games, where he hit .036/.059/.036 with 18 strikeouts, I think we can all agree that it's terrible. Wonderfully, delightfully terrible.
Whenever I see something like this I can't help but think I was born 20 years too early. I could absolutely match those numbers against major league pitching. Teams used to not be ok with it.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Donkey is in the lineup tonight!

He has got to be raring to go, knowing that he is not even leading his own team in strikeouts, much less MLB.

Sombrero alert?
YokelRidesAgain
AG
First pitch he sees is...a home run to straightaway center field.

Weak sauce, Donkey.
Faustus
Franmil Reyes has opened up a 10 strikeout lead on Donkey, but the Yankees have 3 of the top 12.

https://www.mlb.com/stats/strikeouts

40 strikeouts in 21 games and 87 ABs for the Guardians' designated hitter. He's on pace to shatter the record.

He's striking out at a .459 clip. If he can keep the strikeout average over .400 he could join an elite club.

When Reynolds set the record with 223 strikeouts in 2009 his strikeout average was just .385. Reynolds did break the .400 barrier in 210 when he amassed 211 strikeouts in just 499 at bats for a .422 average. Reyes has his work cut out for him.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/reynoma01.shtml
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The Week in Ks
5-1 to 5-7 edition

An occasional series where we celebrate modern baseball's most exciting, and common, play: the strikeout!

Donkey check
It has been a miserable week for Joey "Ernest and Julio" Gallo, who enters the week mired in 19th place in MLB for strikeouts. Several games lost to a tweaked gonad and rainouts left Gallo with the same number of home runs as strikeouts this week (1 of each). That kind of nonsense might fly for Joe DiMaggio, but not for King Donkey. Fortunately, a doubleheader today affords the chance to make up some ground. I'll set the over and under for strikeouts at 3.5.

MLB strikeout leaders
1. Franmil Reyes, DH, CLE 43
On pace for a spectacular 258 strikeouts, which would shatter the record. Nothing in his history suggests that he can maintain this torrid pace, but you can't predict baseball!
2. Dansby Swanson, SS, ATL 40
3. Adam Duvall, RF, ATL 37
3. Julio Rodriguez, CF, SEA 27
5. Eugenio Suarez, 3B, SEA and Patrick Wisdom, 3B, CHC 35

Sombrero watch
Golden sombreros were awarded to 9 players last week, including an Aggie and a future Hall of Famer. Strikeouts are for everyone!

5-1: Jeremy Pena, SS, HOU
5-2: Mike Trout, DH, LAA
5-3 Tyler Stephenson, C, CIN
5-4 Austin Riley, 3B, ATL
5-5 Trevor Story, 2B, BOS
5-6 Brett Phillips, RF, TB
5-7 Nelson Cruz, DH, WAS
5-7: Tyler Naquin, RF, CIN
5-7: Andrew Knapp, C, PIT
thegoodolag15
AG
No strikeouts for the King Donkasaurus Rex today.....yet.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
thegoodolag15 said:

No strikeouts for the King Donkasaurus Rex today.....yet.
He is on the bench for Game 2 of the doubleheader.

And how could he expect otherwise, after a Game 1 in which he produced zero true outcomes (walk, home run, or strikeout) in four plate appearances? He isn't on the team to put the ball in play.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Our long national nightmare is over as Winemaker strikes out looking in the 7th!

He is still only tied for 23rd in the majors.
redline248
AG
I just watched our favorite DH Franmil Reyes strike out live on MLB network. It was as glorious as I expected. Swing and miss on a low slider. Beautiful
redline248
AG
Checking in on the leading "Big Threes"

• Braves trio leading the way with 111 - Golden boy Dansby Swanson (40), Adam Duvall (38), Austin Riley (33).
  • The sustainably good Seattle Mariners with 107 are rolling out Eugenio Suarez (38), Julio Rodriguez (37), and Jarred Kelenic (32) to stay hot on the Braves' trail
  • Yanks at 99 - Stanton (35), Judge (33) and el Burro Grande (31). Joey needs to get rolling if he wants to stay king and help his team win this title.
  • Dodgers staying in the race with 97 - Chris Taylor (38), Cody Bellinger (35), and Trea Turner a measly (24).

I want to give a special shout out to nobody's favorite whiffer, Cody Bellinger. He's pairing that sweet 35 Ks with a .214/.280/.418 slash line. Even though he's leading our king in Ks, he must be jealous of Donkey's .183/.284/.324 slash. EAD, Cody.

Honorable mention goes to the lovable losers from the Windy City, who lead all teams 1,596 strikeouts. Total team effort, as their top 3 have only reached 92. We'll keep an eye on them throughout summer.

Poor Franmil Reyes must be so lonely. No one else on the Guardians has gone over 20, yet.

note: Today's games have not been counted
YokelRidesAgain
AG
redline248 said:

I just watched our favorite DH Franmil Reyes strike out live on MLB network. It was as glorious as I expected. Swing and miss on a low slider. Beautiful
Reyes finishes the night 0 for 5 with a golden sombrero on a night when his team has scored 12 runs. He is truly a virtuoso.

I have a chance to see him in the flesh this weekend.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
It's looking increasingly like Platoonsville, Population: Donkey in the the Bronx, with our Joey riding the pine tonight.

All of a sudden it seems like 2 for 22 with 13 strikeouts against left handed pitching isn't good enough for some people.
3B Paul 97
AG

YokelRidesAgain
AG
It was an OK day for Donkey, with one strikeout swinging. Importantly, in 2 of his other 3 at-bats he did vaguely professional things including hitting a single and moving a runner over. Hopefully that will help him get more starts.

What he has to avoid are pointless grounders to short and pop flies with no one on. That is his time to close his eyes and swing for the fences.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Our King narrowly missed the Golden Sombrero with a single on a 3-2 count. Still a good effort, getting three strikeouts on a night when the Yankees scored 14 15 runs.
Faustus
He'll always be royalty, but I'm willing to venerate those putting up the numbers over him. It should be a meritocracy.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Burro en fuego!!

He crosses the Mendoza line by going 2-5 with a home run and a strikeout. Now batting .202/.302/.357 on the year with 36 Ks.

That is a 182 strikeout pace--he has some ground to make up.

YokelRidesAgain
AG
In my role as a designated strikeout correspondent, I will be in attendance for an exciting showdown at Target Field in Minneapolis tonight.

In the red corner, the current MLB strikeout leader with 48 strikeouts, Big Franmil Reyes!

And across the ring, starting for the Minnesota Twins, something called Devin Smeltzer, who hasn't pitched in the majors in 2 years and had to be added to the 40 man roster to pitch in this game!

Can the Franimal find a way to manufacture at least 2 strikeouts tonight? We'll find out soon!

ETA: In other strikeout news, Joey the Winemaker's sustained run of excellence earned him a start against a left-handed pitcher tonight. But it's Dallas Keuchel. Another thrilling matchup of incompetence!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Last week in strikeouts
5-8 to 5-14

Franny and Donkey
I got a chance to see our Kurrent leader in Ks, Big Franmil Reyes last night. Unfortunately, Minnesota's minor league refugee starter got the best of him. You could tell than Reyes wanted the strikeout-he had swings and misses that would make a beer league softball player blush. But in his first two at-bats, the Twins' starter fought him off by allowing an RBI single and a walk. For at bat number 3, Reyes faced soft tossing sidearm reliever Joe Smith, who is 75 years old and has been in the major leagues since the Nixon administration. Sometime you know you're beat: sensing no chance for a K, Reyes just grounded out weakly to short on the first pitch he saw. But at the last gasp, salvation was at hand! Minnesota brought in Jhoan Duran throwing 103, and Franny delivered the K swinging to send 'em home happy! (Well, it sent me home happy, at least.)

As for Donkey, I'm choosing to believe he's got a plan here. His slash lines the last seven days: .300/.462/.600, with 2 home runs, 6 walks, and 7 strikeouts. We have to hope that this burst of competence is an effort to avoid being sent to Platoonland, and that his strikeout rates will heat up as the weather does. Otherwise, the King is looking like an afterthought, currently in 3rd place for Ks on his own team.

Current MLB strikeout leaders (through 5-14)
1. Franmil Reyes, CLE 49
(He picked up Ks 50 and 51 today--the man is striking out like a tremendous machine.)
2. Patrick Wisdom, CHC 48
3. Eugenio Suarez, SEA 47
4. Dansby Swanson, ATL 45
5. Kyle Schwarber, PHI 43

Sombrero watch
Franny and a bunch of stiffs with Golden Sombreros, for the most part, although don't sleep on the Dodgers' Cody Bellinger.

5-8 Matt Chapman, 3B, TOR
5-8 Nathaniel Lowe, DH, TEX
5-9 Cody Bellinger, CF, LAD
5-9 Franmil Reyes, DH, CLE
5-9 Yasmani Grandal, DH, CWS
5-13 Jake Cronenworth, 2B, SD
5-13 Rhys Hoskins, 1B, PHI
YokelRidesAgain
AG
I selected Donkey as my pick to get a hit in the MLB.com Beat the Streak game. That should cool him off.
thegoodolag15
AG
Oooooh I like that idea.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
thegoodolag15 said:

Oooooh I like that idea.
It's already working! He got a strikeout with the bases loaded AND a three base fielding error, just in the first inning.

UPDATE AB #2: K swinging!

UPDATE AB #3: K swinging again! Could be the Golden Sombrero next AB!

UPDATE AB #4: Grounds out on the first pitch. Looks like no sombrero tonight, but the experiment worked swimmingly. I'm riding King Donkey in Beat the Streak until he gets a hit or becomes the MLB strikeout leader.

UPDATE: And a Yankee rally brings Donkey to the plate for AB #5!

AND THERE IT IS!!! K SWINGING! THE SOMBRERO IS GOLDEN!
Faustus
Great breakdown.
Much more enjoyable than checking the boxscore in the morning.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Last night's performance put Donkey back in his rightful place as the strikeout leader on the Yankees.

Big opportunity for him to cut into his 10 strikeout deficit against Franmil Reyes tonight, as Reyes is out of the lineup "tending to a personal matter".

Maybe he is getting new contact lenses.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Donkey's stats since I hexed him:

0 for 9 10 in 9 10 plate appearances, 5 strikeouts
redline248
AG
50% whiff rate is how one makes a run at history
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Yankees slugger Aaron Judge:

Quote:

"We want to be out there every single day. We want to play two games a night if we could. Just try to keep everything simple and play our game. We've got a special group here. Right now, no one is trying to do too much.

I wonder what would happen if Joey Gallo tried to do too much? Would it result in more than nothing, or less?
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Top 5, Pico de Donkey is 0 for 2 with 2 swinging strikeouts. Clearly not trying to do too much.

UPDATE AB #3: Donkey with the K looking, for variety. Sombrero alert!

0 for 13 in 13 plate appearances with 8 strikeouts since the Hex

UPDATE AB #4: He steps to the plate to attempt the Sombrero!

Ugh. Baltimore's useless reliever walks Gallo on four pitches. Still a True Outcome and keeps the 0-fer intact.
redline248
AG
Gallo has had only 1 pinch hit appearance since Thursday, in which he walked. No game Friday and did not play today. Boone is standing in the way of the chase.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.