***** RETURN OF THE KING: The 2022 Joey Gallo Appreciation Thread *****

49,766 Views | 560 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Porkchop Express
Faustus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Patrick Wisdom is still on pace to beat the record with 56 strikeouts. Gallo is the patron saint, but it doesn't mean we can't enjoy what everyone else is putting out.

Sure FBF struck gold in a way to troll Rangers fans, but the thread is bigger than that.

https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/3197086/7#discussion
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Last week in Ks
5-15 to 5-21 edition

Donkey watch
It was a promising beginning to the week for Joey "Definitely Not Jackie" Gallo, who racked up 9 strikeouts from Sunday-Wednesday, narrowly missing the coveted Double Golden Sombrero with a walk in his last plate appearance on Wednesday and briefly ascending into the top 10 on the MLB strikeout leaderboard. Alas, rain and inability to hit left handed pitching conspired to hold him to a single appearance at the plate the rest of the week. The Yankees play a doubleheader with the White Sox, and I have of course picked Gallo to hit in both games in the Beat the Streak contest. He needs all the help he can get, having fallen 11 Ks off the pace in the strikeout race.

MLB strikeout leaders
1. Patrick Wisdom, CHC 56
Make no mistake: this guy is trouble, and may put in a serious run at the record if he can stay healthy. His K/game ratio last year was 1.44, and amazingly he has improved to 1.55 this year, putting him on pace for 232 strikeouts. As an every day player on a putrid team that has no competitive reason to pull him from the lineup, he will have plenty of opportunities to flail wildly at baseballs.
2. Franmil Reyes, CLE, 54
3. Eugenio Suarez, SEA 53
3. Dansby Swanson, ATL 53
4. Chris Taylor, LAD 52

Sombrero watch
Somewhat light on Golden Sombreros this week. Maybe the hitters are coming around? (Well, some of them.)

5-15 Cedric Mullins, CF, BAL
5-15 Jesus Sanchez, RF, MIA
5-16 Joey Gallo, LF, NYY
5-17 Kyle Schwarber, LF, PHI
5-17 Eli White, LF, TEX
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
King Donkey is on the bench for game 1 of the doubleheader, reportedly because he is feeling "under the weather".

I also feel under the weather. I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more strikeouts!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Donkey is in COVID protocols. Some rumors that he actually hasn't tested positive yet. Obviously a setback in his quest for 200.
redline248
AG
Also delaying his trip up the all time mountain
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Since Donkey will be on the COVID list for an undetermined period of time, I am switching my Beat the Streak allegiance to Patrick Wisdom. Sofia needs the help after an awful day at the plate today, going 2 for 3 with a home run, a walk, and no strikeouts.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Wisdom did hit a three run homer today, but he also struck out twice. That is hard to do against the Reds.

He needs more help. I'm picking him again tomorrow.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
This Wisdom cat, I don't know how he does it. He picks up a perfectly productive 2-5 game with a run scored, and still managed to strike out twice. He is a BEAST.

I'll be sticking with him until further notice.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Donkey is back and making up for lost time tonight, three strikeouts so far. He was one strike away from the Golden Sombrero when he made weak contact and popped out. Unless New York sends 9 men to the plate in the 9th it doesn't look like he'll get another chance tonight.

He is 0 for 20 with 11 strikeouts since I cursed him last Monday.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
All good things must come to an end, and Donkey singled in the third inning to break his 0 for 20 slump. He did pick up another strikeout in his third at bat.

UPDATE: Strong end to the night for Donkey, who strikes out with two baserunners on and two outs to end the top of the 9th inning! That's 50 on the year.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Last week in Ks
5-22 to 5-28 edition

Donkey watch
It was an abbreviated week for "Don't Call Me Uncle" Joey Gallo after.a COVID scare, and in a way a week that encapsulates much of what has gone wrong this year. One has to walk an exceedingly fine line to become the single season Strikeout King. Obviously, you need to suck, and Our Joey certainly sucks: 2 for 14 this week with 0 RBI, 0 extra base hits, 0 walks and 6 strikeouts. But you also have to do enough to remain in the heart of the lineup, and that's just not happening without some more production (Gallo has been batting 9th for the last couple of days, and the next stop on the bench may be coming soon). And then you have to stay healthy, too. It's why the record is such an achievement.

MLB strikeout leaders
1. Eugenio Suarez, SEA 63
The chase remains red hot with a third new leader in as many weeks. Suarez is on pace for 217 Ks. Franmil Reyes, like a comet flying too close to the sun, has hit the IL in a major blow to his title chances.
2. Patrick Wisdom, CHC 62
3. Kyle Schwarber, PHI 61
4. Adam Duvall, ATL 59
5. Chris Taylor, LAD 58

Golden sombrero club
Mike Trout! Second time this year.

5-22 Eli White, LF, TEX
5-22 Anthony Santander, OF, BAL
5-25 Mike Trout, CF, LAA
5-25 Darin Ruf, DH, SF
5-28 Sean Murphy, DH, OAK
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Big Donkey is on nationwide TV tonight on TBS.

The Yankees are pounding the Angels 5-0 in the third. It is so bad that Gallo got a hit and scored a run.

UPDATE AB #2: Joey's tough night continues as he walks, then watches Aaron Judge reclaim the team lead in strikeouts.

UPDATE AB #3: I think the TBS announcer is drunk. He didn't seem to know which team was batting last inning, kept trying to contact an on field reporter with.a broken microphone, and said that Joey Gallo has "dangerous power". Meanwhile, Joey hit a wormburning double down the first base line against a left handed pitcher. The best thing you can say about a night like this is it might help keep him in the lineup.

UPDATE AB #4: YES!! On his 99th pitch of the night, Angels reliever Kenny Rosenberg strikes out Joey Gallo swinging! To paraphrase Rickey Henderson, if you haven't struck out Joey Gallo, you ain't nobody. Welcome to Somebody, kid!

UPDATE: A "Jo-Ey Gal-lo" chant is heard from the stands, as the Bleacher Creatures appear to be running through the traditional 1st inning roll call again.
redline248
AG
Gallo has been on base 3 times, tonight. I don't think his heart is in this chase

Didn't realize you were updating the ABs
YokelRidesAgain
AG
redline248 said:

Gallo has been on base 3 times, tonight. I don't think his heart is in this chase
First time this year
The Porkchop Express
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
The Porkchop Express
Thrilled to see Joey G has tied my late 1970s Astros Buddy Cesar Cedeno for 409th on the all-time list. And needing 6,600 fewer plate appearances to do so!
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Serious excitement in the Bronx tonight as Joey Gallo battles Aaron Judge for the team lead in strikeouts. Judge came in with a one K lead and has added another, but Winemaker battles back with not one but two rally killing Ks.

Oh, and Jameson Taillon is perfect through seven or something. Whatever. MOAR STRIKEOUTS!!!

UPDATE: Judge retakes the team lead with a K to end the seventh! Can Joey answer? In other news, Taillon blows perfect game.

FINAL: Oh Doctor! Gallo ties it up again with a bases loaded strikeout down 1-0 in the bottom of the 8th.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
An extraordinary video from the guy with the game winning hit in the nightcap last night. Who does he credit for his clutch play? That's right, Joey Gallo. Turns out he was watching the pitches the opposing hurler used to strike out Donkey so he knew what to look for.

Rookie mistake by the hurler, though. The right pitch to strike out Gallo is "any pitch". You have to mix them up, for variety.

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/video/rizzo-on-coming-through-late
The Porkchop Express
I would pay top dollar to see a video of Joey Gallo breaking down an at-bat.

Interviewer: "Joey, take us through that at-bat, pitch by pitch."

Joey: "Well the first one, was kind of like, some kind of a curvy pitch, I guess? I wasn't really watching because the beer vendor in the box seats was really loud. LIke, hey bro, we get it, Michelob Light goes down smooth. Anyway, I feel like the pitcher is probably throwing the pitch he thinks I might like the best first so I swung hard on that one but came up a few feet short."

Joey: "Second one, uhhhh, oh yeah, probably about 3 feet above my head. But one time in Little League back in Vegas, I swung at a pitch like that from Frankie Hernandez, who like, was so good, like he made All-Stars every year, and I got the bat on it, and it hit the third baseman in the nuts because he was crying already because his mom made him play that day even though he had the runs and he had just pooped his pants and I wound up with a triple. So I'm like, hey, lightning always strikes twice in the same place, but I think I pulled a muscle swinging on that one."

Joey: "Third one. Oh yeah, haha, third one bounced twice in front of the plate! Like I'm going to swing at that garbage! Like the old saying goes, bounce it once, shame on me, bounce it twice, we won't get fooled again. So now it's 1-2, and you know a pitcher doesn't want to get that 2nd ball, because I'm pretty sure 3 balls is a walk. Or is it a balk? Do you ever feel like someone just was trying to say balls and walk in the same sentence and they wound up saying balk but they didn't want to look stupid in front of all their friends at the bar, especially since Tommy finally brought his sister who I'd been trying to bang since 11th grade, so you just act like you meant to say balk?"

Joey: "Anyway, fourth one, I mean yes, technically if I hadn't swung it might have hit me in the face, but Coach Boone always says keep your eye on the ball. But I once told him, hey Coach, what if instead of that, I keep my BAT on the ball. And I mean, look, he's a great coach and his dad fought the Indians for our country, but he was SPEECHLESS. Like I just rocked his whole world when it comes to baseball insight. He sat there for like 25 minutes without saying a word. Eventually it got awkward so I went looking for Gleybar Torres to see who do the smelliest fart in the press box before they open it up to the media. Anwyay, I swung at that one, but the ball like defied gravity and kept rising and missed the bat."
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Quote:

Gallo is not in Friday's lineup against the Tigers. He is hitting .161 with 14 strikeouts and zero home runs over his last 10 games. Miguel Andujar is starting in left field and batting fifth.

This is Communism. If Gallo is benched, Judge should be benched, too. Fair is fair.

Judge is batting .147 over his last 10 games! You can prove anything with statistics!
YokelRidesAgain
AG

More Communism!

This Joe Sheeran guy is saying this like it's a bad thing. And he's completely neglecting how Joey makes the other pitchers show off their "strikeout pitch".

Some people just don't get baseball.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Yankees getting exactly what they deserve tonight with their lineup shenanigans!

Aaron Judge with a pathetic, 3-4 night with a GIDP, a HR, and zero strikeouts so far.

And the long, Gallo-less innings so distracted Gerrit Cole that he was only able to get through six perfect innings, instead of the standard seven. A couple of strikeouts from Joey instead of runner after runner after runner reaching base would have helped Cole stay in a rhythm.

UPDATE: Ha! Tigers send their shortstop out to throw a 57 mph "heater" to Aaron Judge. Try to strike out against that! 4-5, no Ks.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The battle is rejoined with Judge and Donkey both in the lineup today.

UPDATE: After three ABs each, it's a runaway! Aaron Judge is 1-3 with no strikeouts and Joey Gallo has struck out in his first three plate appearances, so it's a full fledged SOMBRERO ALERT in the Bronx!

Unfortunately, Donkey may get squeezed unless the Yankees get several men on in the 8th, or the Tigers rally to force the bottom of the ninth.

FINAL: Disappointment as the game ends before Gallo gets his 4th at bat. Why does Aaron Judge get to lead off? Joey should lead off!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Last week in Ks
5-29 to 6-4 edition

Donkey update
Joey "Jo-Ey-Gal-Lo Clap Clap Clapclapclap" Gallo put together a .470 strikeout percentage at the plate last week, going 3 for 17 with 2 walks, 1 extra base hit, 0 RBI, and 8 big strikeouts. It's all about getting ABs for Donkey, and he could really use some of his patented "Eyes Closed Dingers" to get more consistent playing time, having fallen 15 strikeouts off the leader's pace.

As if that wasn't bad enough, there are dark clouds on the horizon from the direction of Scranton-Wilkes Barre, where left fielder Miguel Andujar apparently isn't satisfied with playing in the Home of Joe Biden and is "demanding a trade". He seems irked that the Yankees aren't playing him in left field just because he steals more bases, has a higher batting average/on-base percentage/slugging percentage, and higher WAR than Joey Gallo, despite having played in less than half as many games, or something.

MLB strikeout leaders
1. Patrick Wisdom, CHC, 74
Wisdom is right on record pace, projecting out at 222 strikeouts for the year.
2. Eugenio Suarez, SEA, 70
3. Kyle Schwarber, PHI, 67
4. Chris Taylor, LAD, 65
5. Adam Duvall, ATL and Julio Rodriguez, SEA 63

Trio watch
Right off the leaderboard in Atlanta are Braves' teammates Dansby Swanson and Austin Riley with 62 strikeouts. With Duvall, the Trio of Doom is on pace for an astounding 561 Ks, which would eclipse the MLB record for a threesome. Not sure the Braves will allow Duvall to keep stumbling around in center field and whiffing well below replacement value for a full season.

Golden Sombrero Awards
There was a stunning dearth of Golden Sombreros last week, with poor Ryan McKenna standing alone going into the games on Saturday. Billy Madison must have told MLB that all the cool kids strike out yesterday, with sombreros flying all around. Three of the four players who struck out four times yesterday were designated hitters. What do you do when you are designated to hit? That's right, strike out!

5-30 Ryan McKenna, CF, BAL
6-4 Manuel Margot, DH, TB
6-4 Yadiel Hernandez, LF, WAS
6-4 Luke Voit, DH, SD
6-4 Keston Hiura, DH, MIL
The Porkchop Express
Need to give Yokel a big shoutout for carrying duties here for me for more than a month as I took a TexAgs Mental Health Sabbatical. The thread has been glorious. Please continue being as awesome as you want on here.

Joey G is batting 9th today for the Yankees, which means Boone has seen his value as the secondary leadoff man. Plus he's way more proficient at home this year (.176) than on the road (.169). You have to admire the guy's tenacity to balance his numbers though: 30 strikeouts at home, 29 on the road. That's a guy who knows what the fans want to see, and he's not just focusing on putting asses in the seats with his mighty swings (and misses) down in the Bronx.

If you're wondering about Joey's current paces and how that figures into the AL MVP race in 2022, let me bust some knowledge on you.

The Yankees have played 53 games entering today.
Joey is on pace for:

135 games played
406 at-bats
40 runs scored
15 home runs
21 RBI
58 walks
180 strikeouts
And I suppose it goes without saying, 0 sacrifice flys.
Not a lot of guys can command a .173/.276./301 slash line and make it look easy, but King Donkey is doing that.

Clearly Boone is jealous of Joey's success, Boone only struck out 707 times in his career and needed 4,333 to get there. He never struck out more than 111 times in a year - Joey can do that in 3 months with one hand tied behind his back. To make it topical, Boone is the Obi-Wan to Joey's Anakin circa 2002.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Joey is just 5 strikeouts away from reaching the Top 400 in career whiffs.
He's also just 56 strikeouts away from 1,000 for his career.
No one has gotten there faster in Major League History - yup, our main guy is earning as many names as Tormund Giantsbane - Joey Recordbreaker, Joey TrendSetter, JoeyLegendMaker.

The Porkchop Express
Update - I forgot Javier Baez plays for the Tigers. I imagine most Tiger fans have as well. Baez just reached career strikeout #999, tying David Justice - my favorite part of the movie Moneyball - for 343rd all time. One more to go for 1,000 but Whiffy Baez.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
I paid 5 dollars to watch Joey Gallo strike out on peacock (what in the ever-livin, ever-lovin Hell is peacock??), and all he does is loft a useless fly ball to left field.

Three. True. Outcomes. This isn't that hard, Donkey.

UPDATE: Jo-ey Gal-lo! Two run, game tying home run. Enjoy Scranton, Miguel Andujar! Big Donkey just bought himself another 10 games in NY.

UPDATE AB #3: Big Donkey at the plate, 2-2 game, bases loaded, one out. What a time to strike out and show the next guy up the reliever's best pitches!

HE DOES IT!!! Strike out looking on three pitches!
The Porkchop Express
You have to be a special talent to already be up to 9 RBI for the year and it's only june 5.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey pulled for a pinch hitter in the bottom of the 9th, who promptly strikes out. That was Joey's strikeout!

Ma Boone is spoiling all the fun.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The Yankees are in town and a big crowd is anticipated at Target Field tonight as Minneapolis honors its favorite son for Prince Night.

The purple clad Twins faithful will hopefully get a chance to witness a titanic struggle between Twins RHP Cole Sands (0-1, 7.88 ERA, WHIP 1.63) and the Big Donkey himself, Joey Gallo, who is no doubt eager to prove that he isn't scared to strike out against anyone.

Sands is up from the minors, where his stats are almost as bad (0-4, ERA 7.23, WHIP 1.55). It's quite the challenge for Joey, assuming he can convince Ma Boone not to bench him again.

As your Upper Midwest Designated Strikeout Correspondent, I will be there for all of the twists and turns in tonight's action!

PREGAME UPDATE: Winemaker batting 9th. Better than benched, I guess.

COMPETITION UPDATE: Aaron Judge has batted, and the opposing pitcher's ERA is now 9.72. Judge 1-1, no Ks

UPDATE AB #1: Advantage pitcher. Useless pop-out from Donkey. Check out form below.

UPDATE AB#2: Judge with a textbook swinging K. Donkey has to counter next inning. Can't do it; Joey singles.

UPDATE AB#3: Judge knocks in Donkey! Still Judge 1 Joey 0 in Ks. Joey walks on a full count. Ugh.

PITCHING CHANGE UPDATE: "You have no strikeouts, I have two. Thus I assert my dominance." (Pic below.)

K UPDATE: YES!!! I'VE BEEN WAITING ALL NIGHT TO SHOW YOU A BONA FIDE, CERTIFIED STRIKEOUT FROM DONKEY, AND HERE IT IS!!! MY WORK HERE IS DONE!!!

BONUS DONKEY UPDATE: Donkey RBI!! An honor to see this rare achievement!

redline248
AG
Judge getting himself a little pinch?
thegoodolag15
AG
My gosh Judge makes Gallo look tiny!
redline248
AG
Checking in on the leading trios for total Ks

Atlanta - 195. As a team Atlanta leads all of MLB in strikeouts, and the top trio are a big reason why
Austin Riley 68 has him 5th on the individual leader board
Adam Duvall 65 drops in at 8th
Vandy Boy Swanson 62 just misses the top 10 (he's 12th)

Phillies - 187 This trio is keeping the Phillies in the top 10 total team Ks at 7th in MLB
Kyle Schwarber 70 puts him 3rd on the player list
Rhys Hoskins 64 is good for 9th
Nick Castellanos 53, will need to pick it up if this trio wants to catch the Braves

Seattle - 182. This is really a 2 man show, and it has the M's way down in 12th as a team
Eugenio Suarez 76 current K King
Julio Rodriguez 68 tied with Austin Riley for 5th
Jesse Winker 38 - come on, man. This is supposed to be a trio

Angels - 178. Halos, as a team, are 2nd in total Ks, though they might start to slip back, b/c Trout is likely to hit his annual summer IL stint.
Shohei 60
Jared Walsh 60
Brandon Marsh 58
(Trout 57)

Yanks - 174. Gallo has taken back the lead from Judge, but they aren't getting enough help to push them into the top
Bronx Donkey 61
Aaron Judge 60
(Don't call me) Mike Stanton 53

Dodgers- 173, hot on the Yankees heels, thanks to Chris Taylor's heavy lifting
Chris Taylor 68
Cody D-bag 59
Trea Turner 46

Some other notes
Patrick Wisdom 75K - He is a lone wolf. He will have to ignore the team and focus on himself. 1 off Suarez and a real shot history. Cubs next guy doesn't even have 50, yet they are still 8th in the bigs in Ks
Trevor Story 69K - Nice. Also has no help from his team

Would be remiss to not mention Franmil Reyes. He has fallen all the way down to 25th in Ks - IL, no games in 2 weeks. What a shame.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Donkey not starting tonight??!! This is an outrage! He's gone 3 for 10 the last three games, that's like a regular baseball player batting .600!
The Porkchop Express
The slumbering Goliath awakens! 2 home runs for king donkey! Get him back in that lineup and striking out!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.