***** RETURN OF THE KING: The 2022 Joey Gallo Appreciation Thread *****

49,940 Views | 560 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Porkchop Express
YokelRidesAgain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!

Joey BENCHED for something called "Aaron Judge" just as he was about to hit the game-tying home run, or record his third strikeout, of the night.

Yankees lose! Thuuuuuuuuuuuuh Yankees lose!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Although his strikeout campaign was derailed by injury, the thread still loves Franmil "The Franimal" Reyes! Here he is about to achieve the Golden Sombrero on a K looking in the top of the 11th!

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Porkchop Express
So let's talk shop about this year's strikeout race.

Eugenio Suarez, my second-favorite non-Astro is almost to 100 strikeouts and it's June 22. The mighty Mariners, clear threats to Houston's reign as AL West champions at 30-39, have wisely played him in 68 of 69 games and he's responded with 93 strikeouts, putting him on pace for 218 for the year.
He was on a similar pace last year when the Reds selfishly shut him down in early September. Apparently, finishing third and missing the playoffs didn't require Genio in a Bottle's contributions.
218 strikeouts would be the fourth-most ever. That's big time. That's watch worthy. Starting now. He's doing it while hitting .227, which might seem ****ty until you realize that he hit .198 last year and .202 the year before. His average is up 14% from a year ago. That's like Tony Gwynn hitting .335 one year and then hitting .384 the next year. In other words, Suarez is locked in.

Right behind him, and leading the NL is Patrick Wisdom, with 88 strikeouts despite only playing 64 of the Cubs' 68 games. That puts him on pace for 209 whiffs, and there shouldn't be any slowing him down because the Cubs are laughably bad - 25 and 43 so far, pushing Cincinnati and Washington for crappiest team in the NL.

Right behind him is my fantasy baseball star Kyle Schwarber, who is trying to out-Joey Joey, hitting .213 with 18 HR and 85 strikeouts. if the Philies trade for Joey, as rumored, it will be the second coming of Mike Schmidt and Greg Luzinski in Philly, except, one guy is in the Hall of Fame, and the other three are schlubs who loved to swing at everything.

It infuriates me to see Joey only tied for 12th in strikeouts with 75 through 57 games. That's a pace for 213, exactly what he gave us last year, but the high and mighty Yankees with their fancy 50-18 record, are suddenly too good for King Donkey. it's pretty much a hate crime, what Aaron Boone is doing to King Donkey. Everybody above Joey has needed at least 209 at-bats to reach where they are at. He's done it in 170. I'll actively admit to the fact that I'm rooting for Judge, Undead Matt Carpenter, Aaron Hicks, or Giancarlo Esposito to get hurt. Joey is the future of this franchise. He's the straw that stirs the drink.

In other news, Miguel Cabrera is 12 whiffs away from 2,000 for his career. Only 6 other guys have done that. he needs 15 to catch Andres Galarraga.

Nelson Cruz is almost moving up the charts. He's up to 23rd all-time at 1,809 and should pass Man Ram and Dave Kingman in a matter of days. Kingman was the Joey Gallo of the 70s. Only had one year over 100 RBi but 9 years striking out 100+ times.

This discrimination by Boone is also slowing Joey's inevitable conquest of the all-time strikeout record. He's tied for 383rd right now with Vince Coleman and JJ Hardy and Michael Tucker. It's a cool thing to compare Joey's career to Vincent Van Go's. They were both innovators, finding new ways to dazzle crowds. They've also combined to steal 779 bases in their careers - with The Rooster chipping in 27 of those.

He's also breached the top 40 in active strikeouts. Old Man Jason Castro is next in 39th. If Boone gets his head out of his ass and Joey can get another 100 whiffs this year or so, he can get up into the top 30. Something to look forward to.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
redline248
AG
I am starting to hate Aaron Boone more than Red Sox fans
YokelRidesAgain
AG
SEE, BOONE??

DO YOU SEE?

Let Joey bat, achieve True Outcomes, strike out twice a night, and win base ball games!

You have the easiest high pressure job in America, and you keep effing it up anyway.

Let. Joey. Play.
redline248
AG
Donkey doing his thing vs Houston, tonight. 0-2, 2K so far
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey on deck, bottom 9, tie game!

Don't even THINK about it, Boone!
bmac_aggie18
AG
Golden Sombrero let's go!!!
redline248
AG
That's only 3K. Game will have to go like 3 more innings for him to be golden
AustinAg2K
Just like a manager can now just hold up four fingers and give a guy an intentional walk, I think they should also be allowed to hold up three fingers and give an intentional strikeout. It would get these games moving faster.
The Porkchop Express
Seven strikeouts in the last 3 games. The slumbering Goliath is awakening. He's back in the top 10 with 80 whiffs on the year.

Not to be outdone, Eugenio Suarez had a Golden Sombrero today in a 2-1 win. He's up to 98 whiffs in 71 games. That's a 223.6 strikeout pace, slightly ahead of Mark Reynolds' record.

Now the pressure turns up on Suarez. Can he handle it? The crowds. The media crush. The reporters not leaving him alone on the train as the Mariners barnstorm across the country. The groupies. The other guys' wives making eyes at you while you're in the lobby of the hotel getting your shoes shined. Maris's hair fell out in '61. Brett got hermmerhoids in '80. What will this pursuit, not just of a record, but of Legend itself, do to the likes of young Eugenio?
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Mathguy64
AG
Turn his hair all blonde instead of that stupid bunny tail?
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Joey benched AGAIN versus this Verlander pug. It's like Boone is afraid of how awesome Joey could be.
The Porkchop Express
What are the odds that in a 15 k no hitter, King Donkey only strikes out once?
redline248
AG
He probably really appreciated the support of his teammates, today
The Porkchop Express
Eugenio Suarez became the first man to reach 100 strikeouts for the year on Sunday, whiffing twice. The Mariners have played 73 games in 2022, putting him on pace for 222 strikeouts, one off Mark Reynolds' all-time record. Suarez has never been a 200-strikeout guy before, reaching 189 in 159 games in 2019 and getting to 171 in 145 games last year before the Reds' management selfishly shut him down during a masterpiece season.

Patrick Wisdom of the Cubs leads the NL with 95 strikeouts in just 68 games played, but moving up quickly is Dodgers' DH Chris Taylor, now up to 91 and in the midst of a June to remember. Taylor has struck out in EIGHTEEN STRAIGHT games, has 30 for the month, and has struck out at least twice in five straight games - racking up 11 strikeouts since Tuesday.

Our Man Joe is now tied for 10th with 81 strikeouts. He's done this in just 179 at-bats while still hitting a robust .173. Despite Aaron Boone's vendetta, King Donkey is on pace to strike out 182 times in 403 at-bats this year - 45.1% of his at-bats.

When you break down Joey's splits, you're really seeing the mark of a true professional who isn't letting Boone's amateur tactics affect his game.

Joey hit .180 in April, .177 in May, and is locked in at .161 this month.
He struck out 29 times in April, 24 times in May, and is up to 28 this month.

He's 0-for-13 with 9 strikeouts in the last 7 days and is hitting .094 in the last 2 weeks.

If the Gallo rumor mill is accurate and a trade might come soon, here's one true fan hoping for a move to Baltimore, where Yoey Yallow (as Carlos Beltran says his name on TV) is hitting a dominant .043 this year - 1 for 23 with 11 strikeouts.

One more stat for your after-church lunch conversation starters.
When the count is 1-2 this year, Joey is hitting .029 with 1 hit and 26 strikeouts in 35 at-bats.

Mathguy64
AG
Quote:

When the count is 1-2 this year, Joey is hitting .029 with 1 hit and 26 strikeouts in 35 at-bats.

Tony LaRussa would intentionally walk him in that count.
AustinAg2K
helloimustbegoing said:

Eugenio Suarez became the first man to reach 100 strikeouts for the year on Sunday, whiffing twice. The Mariners have played 73 games in 2022, putting him on pace for 222 strikeouts, one off Mark Reynolds' all-time record. Suarez has never been a 200-strikeout guy before

Whenever I see a jump like that from a guy who has never put up big strike out numbers before, I immediately suspect performance deteriorating drugs. Or perhaps, he's just masterbating too much and he's starting to lose his eyesight.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
As I'm sure many of you are aware, the Yankees shockingly won a game in which Joey Gallo was not allowed to play, not even as a late inning defensive replacement.

This is the kind of thing that will give Ma Boone and the Yankees' loathsome hobbit GM ideas. Let's hope they are the kind of ideas where Joey and some prospects get traded to KC for Andrew Benintendi, and not the kind where Sir Joseph squanders his talents in Scranton Wilkes-Barre.
The Porkchop Express
Donkey back in the lineup and doesn't even move the bat, striking out looking!
YokelRidesAgain
AG

Look at this disgusting East Coast media bias! Not even a word about Joey's strikeouts!
The Porkchop Express

Just did an update - Gallo, Judge, and Stanton are currently on pace for 501 strikeouts this year. Gallo has 82, Judge 72, Stanton 69. Boone screwing this up yet again, keeping Joey out of 13 games this year.

Only three trios in ML history have broken 500 strikeouts together. The all time-record is 535.

I also just uncovered an incredible Joey Gallo treasure trove - his minor league stats.

In 2012 at age 18 he hit an incredible .272 in rookie ball with 22 home runs in 59 games and only struck out 78 times.

In 2013 at the higher level of rookie ball, he played in 111 games, hit 40 home runs, hit .251, and struck out 172 times. That's a pace of 251 in a 162-game season.

In 2014, playing at A and AA, he hit 42 home runs in 126 games and struck out 179 times. That's a 230-whiff pace.

In 2015, at AA and AAA, he still hit a blistering .240, with 23 HR in 87 games, and an other-worldly 139 strikeouts. That's a 258-whiff pace. As usual, the Rangers' management ruined things by calling him up to them majors for 36 games.

In 2016, his last year in the minors, tragically, he played 102 games at triple A and struck out 150 times in 102 games, a pace for 238 strikeouts.

CMON BOONE! Get this guy's stick in the lineup consistently and the Yankees will have another record in their pantheon of legends.

His name is Joey, son of Tony.
DESTINY IS ALL.

redline248
AG
The last Kingdom
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Two more strikeouts for Our Joey, and the Yankees take yet another series against the hapless Athletics.

There is nothing wrong with going 0 for 24 with 13 strikeouts as long as you are winning. Personally, I think that Joey's perseverance while going through a tough stretch (i.e., his career) is inspiring his teammates to try harder.

I still think Boone should let him bat third to see if it inspires Aaron Judge even more.
The Porkchop Express
How does Joey do against elite pitching?

Not surprisingly he dominates. Let's check out some of his career #s. Because as Mean Joe Greene once said, "When the best don't face the best, everyone gets cheated."

JOEY VS...

Charlie Morton: 0-for-15 (.000), 12 strikeouts. To be fair though, Morton throws that curvy pitch that Joey thinks should be banned from baseball.

Justin Verlander: 3-for-31 (.097), 14 strikeouts. OPS .437 Who's the Hall of Famer now?

Zach Greinke: 0-for-17 (.000), 8 strikeouts.

Sheho Ohtani: 0-for-4 (.000), 3 strikeouts.

Gerrit Cole: 5-for-24 (.208), 17 strikeouts. A Joey .208 is like Tony Gwynn hitting .875 against someone.

Frankie Montas: 2-for-13 (.154), 5 strikeouts.

His name is Joey, son of Tony.

DESTINY IS ALL.
The Porkchop Express
And how about Joey vs. other teams? Not surprisingly, he's racking up numbers left and right.

I'm breaking this down into strata to really paint a picture.

Joey has a sub-.200 batting average vs. 15 of the 30 teams in MLB. HIs best effort is a scintillating .068 career average (3 for 44) vs. the Diamondbacks.

He has struck out more than 100 times in his career vs. the Astros (126 K in 302 AB), the Mariners (105 K in 231 AB), and the Angels (104 K in 269 AB). That's 335 strikeouts in 802 at-bats.

His 2 career sacrifice flys are against the Astros and the Mets. He has 1 career sacrifice bunt, that vs. Tampa.

He needs to get traded to the Diamondbacks post-haste, as he is 0f-or-22 all-time at Chase Field. Other scintillating numbers include hitting .083 at Marlins Park, and quite hilariously, .105 at Coors Field.

In 130 career at-bats at Minute Maid Park, he has struck out 70 times. (54%)

He needs to play for a team that plays a lot of day games. He struggles to a .198 average at night while he's a white-hot .215 in the daytime.

He has struck out 343 times to end an inning.

redline248
AG
The Coors field and inning ending stats are my favorite
YokelRidesAgain
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

His 2 career sacrifice flys are against the Astros and the Mets.
Even though I know that, objectively, this is true, there are some stats that seem so preposterous that one's immediate reaction is "haha, you made that up".

It should be acknowledged that sac flies are obviously not a True Outcome that is within the batter's control. That is why a modern base ball Svengali like Joseph Gallo does not care about them. Joey cannot conjure a batter on third with less than two outs whenever he likes.

Nonetheless, I seemed to recall that a solid Yankees outfielder of yore, for example, Paul O'Neill, used to hit quite a few sac flies. Obviously we are not talking about a Hall of Famer here, just a solid contributor on a good team like Our Joseph.

So I went to the data to cross check my memory against reality, and indeed, Paul O'Neill hit 90 sac flies in his career in about three times as many at bats as Joey. That indicates that Joey is FIFTEEN TIMES less likely to hit a sac fly versus Paul O'Neil, which again sounds so ludicrous that it beggars belief.

Lastly, although there is obviously no TexAgs MLB sac fly thread and never will be, I took it another step farther and decided to look into the shortest period of time that it took Paul O'Neill to hit two sac flies.

The answer was: One game, twice (7-13-95 off Kyle Tapani & Eddie Guardado of the Minnesota Twins, and 5-10-98 off of Eric Milton and Eddie Guardado of, natch, the Minnesota Twins). Twice in his career, Paul O'Neill matched the career sacrifice fly numbers of Joey Gallo in one game.

Examining Joey's greatness is like the blind men trying to describe an elephant. Every time you think you have a handle on it, another piece of amazing information comes in and shocks you all over again.
The Porkchop Express
NJ.com with a great new photo of our patron saint today.

Headline a little less flattering

It's time for Yankees to stop making excuses for Joey Gallo and cut the cord | Analysis

Some choice excerpts:

The excuses the Yankees keep making for Gallo have become laughable. Aaron Boone can't rip Gallo publicly GM Brian Cashman wouldn't stand for that so we hear about the long foul balls or high fly balls to the warning track that are mixed in with the gazillion strikeouts.

As awful as Gallo was last year, he's been worse this season with career-lows (since his first full season) in average, homer rate (4.2%), walk rate (13.1%), OPS (.609) and on-base percentage (.276). His 39.3 strikeout rate is a career-high.

This year, Gallo isn't even walking much, so all he's done offensively is average 0.75 homers and 1.5 RBI per week.

Per week!!!

This is what the Yankees are getting for $10.275 million.

In 120 games for the Yankees since last July 30, he's a .163 hitter with 22 homers, 40 RBI, 172 strikeouts and 65 walks.
Mathguy64
AG
He has 9 HR and 18 RBI for the season. Hes obviously driven himself in 9 times so he has created 9 total other runs. But in his 9 HRs, he has a guy on base 4 times, so he drove in 9+4=13 runs on his homers. That leaves 5 other RBIs. 5 in 205 PAs. He's has 97 PAs with a runner on and driven 5 of them in.

Woof.
TarponChaser
But the analytics say he's better off walking, striking out, or hitting a home run.
The Porkchop Express
Joey, son of Tony, is in the lineup against the Astros today!

DESTINY IS ALL!
yawny06
AG
In form tonight watching strike three go by…
The Porkchop Express
0 for his last 25 at the plate. And the rumor mill swirling about Joey to San Diego, Philly, or Detroit?
Corporal Punishment
AG
970 career Ks…

Will he be the fastest to 1000 in MLB history?

Also, he trails Zack Greinke in career BA by 22 points.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.