***** RETURN OF THE KING: The 2022 Joey Gallo Appreciation Thread *****

48,903 Views | 560 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Porkchop Express
YokelRidesAgain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And we are going-to the 15th inning!!

Barring a game ending walk-off home run from Oscar Gonzalez, Gimenez should have his chance at the 6th strikeout for the Diamond!

This is Don Larsen level stuff right here, folks!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

Barring a game ending walk-off home run from Oscar Gonzalez
Dammit. He did it.

Some people have no respect for history.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Gigemags382
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

And we are going-to the 15th inning!!

Barring a game ending walk-off home run from Oscar Gonzalez, Gimenez should have his chance at the 6th strikeout for the Diamond!

This is Don Larsen level stuff right here, folks!!

Now that's a a 5* jinx right there!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Gigemags382 said:

Now that's a a 5* jinx right there!
I will use my powers for good from now on.

Alabama should roll right into the SEC Championship Game and the playoff, unless they stumble against A&M tonight without their QB.
The Porkchop Express
Who's in for the Divisional Series round?

2022 K king Kyle Schwarber (200)
Runner-up Eugenio Suarez (196)
#5 Dansby Swanson (182)
#7 Aaron Judge (175)
#8 Matt Olson (170)
#10 Rhys Hoskins (169)
#11 Austin Riley (168)

and the straw who stirs the drink, Joseph Tiberius Gallo, 163 strikeouts in 350 at bats (46.6% strikeout rate)
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
The Porkchop Express
Kyle schwarber has started the post season 0 for 14 with 6 strikeouts
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
AustinAg2K
The Porkchop Express said:

Kyle schwarber has started the post season 0 for 14 with 6 strikeouts
Aaron Judge says, "Hold my beer."
YokelRidesAgain
AG
An amazing historical stat from the great Joe Posnanski:

Quote:

Players with the highest percentage of games with three strikeouts:
[ol]
  • Joey Gallo, 16%
  • Miguel Sano, 15.7%
  • Bo Jackson, 12.5%
  • Chris Davis, 11.4%
  • Mike Zunino, 10.9%
  • Rob Deer, 10.9%
  • Chris Carter, 10.5%
  • Aaron Judge, 10%
  • [/ol]Next on the list, by the way, is Giancarlo Stanton, which means that at one point the Yankees had three of these players in the same lineup.

The Yankees are lost without their King, and should be eliminated by Sunday.

Meanwhile the idiot Dodgers left Joey on the bench yesterday, and are also on the brink of elimination.

Meanwhile, Kyle Schwarber and his stellar .091/.291/.091 slash line for the postseason remains right where he belongs, at the top of the lineup.

The truth about the postseason is clear: if you're not solid at the strikeout position, it is only a matter of time.
    The Porkchop Express
    The mighty Dodgers are hitting .232 in the post-season and have 31 strikeouts in 99 at-bats. That's WITHOUT Joey getting a single swing.
    The Porkchop Express
    Post-season leaderboard update.
    First of all, a Greek tragedy that King Donkey and the Braves trio of whiffers are gone from the playoffs. Taken too soon, and King Donkey didn't even get an at-bat!

As soon as the playoffs end, look for my off-season thread which will feature a 32-part series on where Joey Gallo should sign as a free agent.

Here are your post-season strikeout leaders through Saturday, October 16

#1 - Manny Machado / Ha-Seong Kim, Padres, 11: I'm not a big knowledge guy of current baseball players so much anymore, so I have to admit, I don't know who Kim is, but he's scratching me where I itch with a .192 average and 11 strikeouts in 26 at-bats.

#3 WIll Myers / Jake Cronenworth,Padres and Andres Gimenez, Guardians, 10 - So the Padres have 4 guys who combined to strike out 42 times in 4 games vs. the Dodgers, and they won? To quote Ralph Wiggum, that's unpossible.

#6 Rhys Hoskins, Philly, 9

#7 Carlos Santana (love his early work), Aaron Judge, Kyle Schwarber, Cal Raleigh, 8.

I'm of two opinions on Aaron Judge. First, I hate the Yankees and want them to lose forever. But I do love guys flailing helplessly at pitches, and Judgey is currently hitting .083 with 8 strikeouts in 12 at-bats vs. Cleveland.

Schwarber is everything Joey Gallo could have been in the playoffs hitting .050 with 8 whiffs in 20 at-bats, and his team just cruised to the NLCS.
    redline248
    AG
    In the name of fairness, I was going to ask why you didn't have Altuve...but he only has 6 K this post-season. Feels like so many more.
    The Porkchop Express
    redline248 said:

In the name of fairness, I was going to ask why you didn't have Altuve...but he only has 6 K this post-season. Feels like so many more.
    He also has 73 popups
    jkag89
    Because Altuve is not a prototypical three outcome hitter like those discussed in this thread. It is frustrating when Jose chases bad pitches for Ks or pop ups but I don't think he has ever even reached 100 Ks in a season much less come close to 200.
    redline248
    AG
    I know that, but the post above was about playoff Ks, and I thought Altuve had more. That's all.
    The Porkchop Express
    Look who got his own video on Deadspin today!

https://deadspin.com/how-historically-bad-is-joey-gallo-stats-that-will-b-1849686989
    The Porkchop Express

The Phillies are one win away from regular-season strikeout champion Kyle Schwarber getting to the World Series. This took some real digging, but the last time the major league baseball strikeout leader for a regular season made it to the World Series was 1958 when Mickey Mantle tied for the league lead with 120 strikeouts and the Yankees beat the Milwaukee Braves in 6 games.

Post-season has been a real treat for strikeouts so far. Manny Machado and Jake Croneworth leading the charge with 15 apiece in 11 games, followed by Aaron Judge, who is absolutely dominant with 14 strikeouts in 8 games so far.

If you could project Judge's post-season into a regular season, you're talking:

162 games played
    648 at-bats
    101 hits
    40 home runs
    61 RBI
    20 walks
    284 strikeouts
    .156 average
    .344 slugging
    .526 OPS

Mathguy64
    AG
    And one lusty set of boos by the home crowd after whiffing on a pitch away and in the dirt. There were also boos from the bleachers when he caught the last out in T9.
    The Porkchop Express
    Shoutout to Rhys Hoskins with the World Series Golden Sombrero tonight! 0 for 5 with 4 whiffs!
    The Porkchop Express
    As of this moment, King Donkey is a free agent.

I'm thinking this quickly escalates into an A-Rod type bidding war. He's done things in baseball the last few years that most players only dream about. 379 strikeouts in his last 279 games. Who else but Joey?

YokelRidesAgain
    AG
    In a shock move, the Minnesota Twins decline a $14 million option on Miguel "Strikeout Jesus" Sano, after an injury marred season that saw Sano limited to 25 strikeouts to go with his .083/.211/.133 slash line, one home run, 3 RBI, and 1 glorious stolen base.

Teams looking for an upgrade at strikeout will have to look to King Donkey first, but Sano is a solid backup plan for any team looking for strikeouts at a discount.
    The Porkchop Express
    YokelRidesAgain said:

In a shock move, the Minnesota Twins decline a $14 million option on Miguel "Strikeout Jesus" Sano, after an injury marred season that saw Sano limited to 25 strikeouts to go with his .083/.211/.133 slash line, one home run, 3 RBI, and 1 glorious stolen base.

Teams looking for an upgrade at strikeout will have to look to King Donkey first, but Sano is a solid backup plan for any team looking for strikeouts at a discount.
    I will never not be convinced that Miguel Sano just found a jersey, put it on, and it was assumed he played baseball. Like Kevin Costner finding the mail carrier jeep in the Postman.
    YokelRidesAgain
    AG

I will never not be convinced that Miguel Sano just found a jersey, put it on, and it was assumed he played baseball. Like Kevin Costner finding the mail carrier jeep in the Postman.
    I know I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating that Miguel Sano injured his knee celebrating a walk-off win that occurred when he tried to stretch a single into a double, even though second base was occupied.

Because Tigers gonna Tiger, in lieu of completing the easy double play, they flung the ball into the outfield instead. Delighted with the results of his baffling incompetence, Sano began jumping up and down. Upon landing one of his six inch vertical leaps, he tore a meniscus and was never seen or heard from again.
    YokelRidesAgain
    AG
    Stolen from another blog, a drink recipe for the upcoming holiday:

The Aaron Boone

One shot of one of the following depending on the analytics of the day's matchup:

Vodka

Gin

Tequila

Scotch

Plus:
    Orange Juice
    Ice

Fill the glass with orange juice. Drink it all. Next, add ice to the glass. Save the shot of alcohol for a different, more important situation later in the holiday season.

In the meantime, it's the calm before the storm as we await the bidding war for King Donkey. I'm pulling for Colorado. The thin air of Coors Field could make Joey a 30 HR guy, and freedom to swing away could give him a shot at the mythical 224.
    The Porkchop Express
    The Minnesota Twins have hit the Joey Jackpot! A one-year deal to make Minnesota great again!

Joey has a career .954 OPS at Target Field, but more importantly, 20 strikeouts in 57 career at-bats.
    YokelRidesAgain
    AG
    IT.

IS.

HAPPENING!!!!

I was on the fence on renewing my Twins season tickets after they let the best player from their 78-84 team walk, but now that they have replaced Miguel Sano with KING DONKEY, I am ALL IN!!!

TWO TWENTY FOUR HERE WE COME!!!
    YokelRidesAgain
    AG
    For unknowable reasons that could only make sense to the Twins marketing department, it does not seem that Gallo #13 Twins jerseys have been rushed into production to meet holiday demand.
    The Porkchop Express
    Twins' fans not exactly happy about King Donkey.

YokelRidesAgain
    AG

Twins' fans not exactly happy about King Donkey.
    Twins fans are a bunch of nitwit rubes who couldn't understand the game of baseball if they sat on a grown-up's lap and had it all explained to them.

As any student of the game knows, two of the most important positions are left handed hitting outfielder, and strikeout.

Prior to the Gallo trade, the Twins only had 6 left handed outfielders on the 40 man roster. Now they have a crucial seventh, which will allow them to field two left handed outfields in split-squad spring training games, even if one of them is injured!!!

As for strikeouts, I scarcely need to explain Joey's outsized value here, but consider this: last year the Twins paid Carlos Correa $35 million to strike out 121 times. That is $289,256 per K!!

Despite trying to strike out with one hand tied behind his back due to being managed by a sub-idiot, followed by a guy who pulls starters from perfect games, Donkey struck out 163 times. At $11 million for the next year, Joey only costs the Twins $67,484 per strikeout. With the savings of $24 million, maybe they can afford to re-sign Sano, too!
    The Porkchop Express
    Joey Gallo has reported to spring training for the Twins. Rumors from inside the camp say Carlos Correa pouted for 36 hours about the cameras totally ignoring him once King Donkey arrived

The Twins are reportedly going to play Ser Gallohad at first some early this year, because their first baseman is recovering from an injury. Twins playing 4-D chess, taking the guy with a cannon for an arm and putting him at first base. A versatile Joey is a Joey who gets to play a lot, and that means getting back on course towards legendary strikeout numbers.

Here's a Twins' blogger giving the fan base a pep talk about what to expect in the months ahead from the Big American Whiffing Machine:

He will strike out an appalling number of times and hit in the low .200s on a good year. Banning the shift could help boost Gallo's batting average, but expecting him to hit .270 is an unrealistic expectation for him in 2023. His flaws should be understood ahead of time.

Sends shivers down your spine, doesn't it?

Joey enters the season with 1,048 career strikeouts vs. 471 career hits. He's got his career average at a robust .199. He has 2,811 career plate appearances. Only two players in the history of the game have a worse batting average with at least 3,000 plate appearances: Bill Bergen and Jeff Mathis. Whoever the hell that is.

He enters the season 32nd among active players in strikeouts, and with a healthy campaign could get into the top 20 or even the top 15 by year's end. He's 313th all time. If he can rip 200 whiffs this year, he could climb into the top 175-200.

I'll be keeping tabs on Joey periodically throughout spring training and be ramping up the 2024 Gallo thread in about 35-40 days. And hopefully I won't take a month ban this May and miss out on my own thread!

redline248
    AG
    I love that he's such a good sport about giving the fans so many dumb faces with which to meme
    YokelRidesAgain
    AG
    In a troubling start to spring training, Joey Gallo went 2 for 2 with a double and no strikeouts in a split-squad game on Saturday.

He was rightfully benched on Sunday, and we can only hope that this helps him get his mind right.
    YokelRidesAgain
    AG
    Things are looking up, as Joey goes 0 for 3 with his first strikeout of the spring!
    The Porkchop Express
    Joey doesn't need spring training. He knows how to strike out.
    YokelRidesAgain
    AG
    It's wise not to make too much of a small sample size, but King Donkey's early performance in spring training has been somewhat alarming. After offseason rumors of "working out with the Twins hitting coach", Joey has started off the spring in a deep strikeout funk, having fanned only once in 11 at bats, far below his career .443 strikeout percentage.

Of additional concern, Joey is currently hitting .455/.538/.818. He needs to remember that you can't strike out by putting the ball in play.
    YokelRidesAgain
    AG
    You can't keep a good Donkey down!

After my inspirational post yesterday, Joey got out there and did exactly what you want from a leadoff hitter: strike out.

0 for 2 with two Ks and a walk.

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.