***** RETURN OF THE KING: The 2022 Joey Gallo Appreciation Thread *****

56,643 Views | 560 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Day off for Donkeywood yesterday, but another win as he inspired from the bench.

New article has Joey loving life on the Best Coast and dissing New York's POS real estate market!

"I'm living by the beach right now, so that's pretty nice," Gallo said. "No offense to New York, but I was living in a small apartment for the same price. It's pretty nice to be by the beach and have some waves and some sand and people walking around in flip-flops and whatnot. It's definitely a little bit more laid back environment."

A tale of the tape:

Dodgers with King Donkey: 11-1 (.917 winning percentage)
Yankees without King Donkey: 2-10 (.167 winning percentage)

So based on the Statistics class that I took at Blocker in the Spring of 1994, if Donkey had played for the Dodgers all year, they would go 149-13. While if the Yankees had traded Donkey before the season started, they would go 27-135.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

So based on the Statistics class that I took at Blocker in the Spring of 1994, if Donkey had played for the Dodgers all year, they would go 149-13. While if the Yankees had traded Donkey before the season started, they would go 27-135.
Statistics generated from the People's Workers Building of Blocker are notoriously valid and as solid as the Stalinist construction of said building, comrade. Truth is certain.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Porkchop Express
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Statistics generated from the People's Workers Building of Blocker are notoriously valid and as solid as the Stalinist construction of said building, comrade. Truth is certain.
My memories of Blocker from 28 years ago include

1) It had the best A/C on campus
2) You could use your AggieBucks to get hot chocolate from the vending machine
3) I made a rare A in that class.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Patrick Wisdom coming up fast on the outside lane in the strikeout race. He had a hat trick yesterday and has piled up 8 in his last 4 games to get to 149, passing a hobbled Kyle Schwarber for the NL lead. Eugenio Suarez continues to lead the majors with 155, but his pace has slipped to a meager 214 for the year. Someone get in front of this kid and get his head on straight.

Pretty sure Wisdom put out the good word to have the Cubs pick up Franmil Ramirez after the Indians cut him. YEAH I KNOW THEY SWITCHED IT BUT THEY ARE THE INDIANS. Franmil has struck out in every game he's played for the Cubs, including a hat trick on Sunday. But not playing for 8 games really set him back in the race. He's down to a tie for 26th with 111.

Donkey is tied for 16th with the guy who makes Joey not the worst hitter on the Dodgers - Cody Bellinger - at 116 strikeouts, good for 16th in the majors. Donkey is about 9 K's out of the Top 10, which has been his home for a long time and we are all hoping he gets back there soon! he continues to be the world's most lethal percentage strikeout artist, with 116 in 252 at-bats, a 46% whiff ratio. Nobody else is even close.

On the mega-whiff counter, the Braves' Austin Riley, Matt Olson, and Dansby Swanson are up to a combined 378 on the year. The Braves have played 117 games this year, which puts these 3 lovable scamps on pace for
523 strikeouts.

As best we can figure, the all-time record for 3 teammates is 535 by the 2019 Diamondbacks, and the AL record is 526 by the 2016 Orioles. The 2018 Rangers are the only other squad to break 500 (503).

The Porkchop Express
AG
KING DONKEY with another bomb for the Dodgers! Hitting .272 when he got away from Camp Cancer and Dr. Boonevorkian!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Major League Baseball OPS rankings

1. Aaron "Not Boone" Judge 1.061
2. Hollywood Donkey 1.042
3. Paul Goldschmidt 1.030
4. Yordan Alvarez 1.016
5. Rafael Devers 0.933

Conclusions:

1) King Donkey is the clear leader for the National League MVP.

2) Once Aaron Judge signs a half billion dollar contract and leaves the Yankees, his OPS is projected to rise to around 1.78, based on the "Boone penalty" established by Joey's improvement (OPS increase of 68%) since extricating himself from Boone's clutches.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
redline248
AG
NL teams didn't do their research
The Porkchop Express
AG
Little blast from the past I found on Wikipedia, Joey in high school, look at that mug!

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2012/feb/15/bishop-gorman-baseball-player-joey-gallos-hard-wor/

YokelRidesAgain
AG
The Yankees have scored one run in their last 30 innings at bat.

Tonight, their starting center fielder and third basemen are both batting .000 on the year.

I wonder if they could use a left handed batter slugging .696?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Daytime Joey with a whiff in his first at-bat today! He's within one strikeout of tying fellow Dodger legend Steve Garvey for 347th all time!
The Porkchop Express
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Daytime Joey with a whiff in his first at-bat today! He's within one strikeout of tying fellow Dodger legend Steve Garvey for 347th all time!
A two-whiff day for Joey and the Dodgers start returning to the mean! He's back up to 19th for the year with 118 whiffs. That's in just 92 games. That's a 208-whiff pace over a full 162 despite everything Aaron Boone tried to do to him. Boone hates Gallo like Dusty Baker hates Trey Mancini. I wish Saw Gerrera was here to go into Aaron Boone's office when he's saying nice things to the media bout Joey Gallo and yell "LIES! DECEPTION!"

Would love to see Bor Gullet get ahold of Boone's pointy head.

The Porkchop Express
AG
No Joey last night but he continues to inspire from behind as the Dodgers won again, I don't even have to tell you what happened to the Bronx Bombers without Ser Gallo-had, another L.

Yankees since trading Joey Gallo: 3-13
Dodgers since trading for Joey Gallo: 13-3

Joey with the Dodgers: .231/.333/.615 - OPS .949, 12 K in 26 AB (46.1% whiff rate)

Joey with the Yankees: .159/.282/.339 - OPS .621, 106 K in 233 AB (45.5% whiff rate)

So Joey is finally being allowed to be Joey in LA - hitting the ball hard once in a while, striking out the rest of the time. He's traded a tiny apartment for a place on the beach, and his laid back Vegas self is finally being allowed to shine. Based on these numbers, it's clear who the real 2022 NY Yankee MVP is, and his name ain't Judge.

On the overall leaderboard, Eugenio Suarez hit 2 HR, drove in 5, but still struck out twice last night to hit 160 for the year. He's go 42 games to go and he's 63 strikeouts short of Reynolds' record. At his current pace, he'll reach 216.

With Kyle Schwarber still banged up, Patrick Wisdom has taken control of the NL lead with 153 whiffs. Schwarber is still stuck on 147.

Joey is tied for 20th with 118. If he can just get in a few ABs he can make a charge late and try to reach the top 10 again. It should be noted he's done this in 259 at-bats. He's now paired with Dodger Chris Taylor, who has struck out 120 times in 293 at-bats (40.3% whiff rate). So together those two guys have struck out 238 times in 552 at-bats. I'm sure you know what I'm getting at - we need to splice their DNA together to make the worst hitter of all time.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Donkeywood strikes again! A late game defensive replacement got himself an at bat and promptly struck the hell out!

That's #1,004, surpassing fellow Dodger legend Steve Garvey. Garvey's career high in strikeouts was 90 in a season where he had 696 at-bats. Joey's up to 121 this year and he's been up like 137 times.

next on King Donkey's hit list is Expo legend Hubie Brooks.

Dodgers: 14-3 with Joey
Yankees: 3-14 without Joey

The Porkchop Express
AG
There's only one thing hotter in LA than their brutal, mind-numbing heat, and that is Joey Gallo.

King Donkey went 2-for-3 with with 2 runs scored, a triple, and yes, a big old whiff to lead the Dodgers to a 10-3 trashing of the Miami Jeters, 10-3. The Dodgers are now 15-3 with Donkeywood manning the wheel.

As a Boy in Blue, Jose Rooster is now hitting .267 with 3 HR, 5 RBi, and 6 runs in 12 games. And a gorgeous 14 strikeouts. He's making good on a long-time baseball theory that New York sucks and anyone who goes there is an idiot.

Extrapolate his 12 games across an entire season and you get a vision of Donkeyvision hitherto undreamt of:

81 runs scored
108 hits
14 doubles
14 triples
41 home runs
68 RBI
54 walks
189 strikeouts

New York Joey was a confused, battered state of affairs with no direction and no leadership.

It's only 12 games, but this LA Joey?

The Porkchop Express
AG
Joey's big production lately saw him rise up to 6th in the lineup, and he drew a walk and scored a run before getting the rest of night off as the LA DOnkeys won yet again with their incredible motivational leader.

LA is 16-4 with the Donkey.

Eugenio Suarez has the pedal to the metal in the 2022 strikeout race, up to 164 and opening up an 8-whiff lead over Kyle Schwarber who finally got off the day-to-day list to start striking out again. Eugenio's pace has slipped to 213 whiffs, but if he stays healthy he'll have a puncher's chance coming down the stretch as the Mariners try to sneak into the playoffs.

The real story is Schwarber, who got just two at-bats from August 11th to August 19th. He's come firing back recently though, with a Golden Sombrero on Monday and a hat trick on Tuesday to move back into first in the NFL at 156 K's. He's on pace for 205.

Patrick Wisdom of the Cubs is now third with 155, and on pace for 204.

Board favorite Franmil Reyes had a unique experience on Tuesday, getting to pitch in a 13-3 loss to the Cardinals. Apparently they've had this dude playing the wrong position because he threw a scoreless inning and struck Paul DeJong. He also got the league's leading hitter Paul Goldschmidt to ground into a double play, and hit Albert Pujols with a pitch.

Our trio of Braves - the law firm of Swanson (5th), Olson (9th) and RIley (10th) continue their quest for whiff immortality. They've combined to strikeout 397 times in 125 games, putting them on pace for 514 strikeouts this year. Only three other trios of teammates have ever struck out more than 500 times in a year.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Vintage Gallo last night. The kind of Gallo Aaron Boone could never hope to invoke because he is a little *****.

King Donkey batted 6th last night, and was 1 for 4 with a run scored, 2 RBI, a walk, and 2 strikeouts. That's quintessential Joey right there. You put him there every night and he has a season where he hits .250, drives in 324 runs, walks 162 times, and strikes out 324 times.

And of course, the Dodgers won, ,because JOEY GALLO. They won 12-6. Joey's up to 6 doubles and 31 RBi on the season. Is a Silver Slugger nomination far off?

Donkeywood is 17-4 since acquiring Jose Rooster. LA was a paltry 69-33 without him.

Joey will be back in NYC, albeit against the Mets, August 30-September 1. I've heard reports that scalpers are getting up to $25,000 / ticket from local fans hoping to apologize to Joey in person for the way they treated him.

He's 14 games into his Dodger career. Push it across a full season and our patron saint would have 34 HR, 81 RBI, and 185 strikeouts.

The 2 whiffs also allowed him to pass Hubie Brooks for 346th on the all-time strikeout list. Brooks took 15 years and 6,476 plate appearances to get to 1,005. Joey's done it in 8 years and 2,716 plate appearances. His next target Is KC Royals standout Amos Otis, who struck out 1,008 times in 17 years.
redline248
AG
Every time I read the stats about how quickly Joey is blasting up the strikeout leader board I am amazed. Every. Single. Time. He is a true phenomenon of the game.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Tough night for Ser Gallo-had. A rare error in the field brought home the game-winning run for the Marlins in a 2-1 loss. The good news is that he also had a strikeout, tying him with Amos Otis for 345th on the all-time list. Randy Winn is the next target at 1,010.

Let's take a moment here to talk some Amos Otis here, an underrated member of the 1970s KC powder keg. He started life as Met and was on the '69 Miracle team but didn't make the post-season roster. A month after they won the WS, the Mets traded the 22-year-old Otis along with pitcher Bob Johnson to the Royals for whoever the hell Joe Foy is.

Foy played exactly one season for the Mets, hitting .236 with 6 HR, and then he was left unprotected and taken by Washington in the Rule 5 draft. He sucked even harder for them, and was released halfway through the season.

Turns out ol Joe was a big fan of smoking the Wacky Tobacky before games, and once in a doubleheader while with the Mets, he started at third base, never saw a ball hit right past him, and kept yelling "hit to me! Hit it to me!"

Meanwhile Amos Otis made the all-star team 4 straight times and five times overall, finishing in the top 8 of the MVP voting 5 different times, leading the league in doubles twice, and in stolen bases once. He had a sneaky 2,000-hit career with 374 doubles, 341 steals, and 1,007 RBI.

He was also lights out in the playoffs. In the Royals' 4-game loss to the Yankees in the 1979 ALCS, he hit .429 with a 1.101 OPS. He was even better in the 1980 WS loss to Philly, hitting .478 and slugging .957 with 3 HR and 7 RBI in 6 games. OPS for that series was 1.495.
_lefraud_
AG
I've never heard the name Amos Otis before today, so thank you for that.
The Porkchop Express
AG
_lefraud_ said:

I've never heard the name Amos Otis before today, so thank you for that.
I've said this on the Baseball Reference thread, but when I was a teenager in the late 80s/early 90s, I got the equivalent of the baseball reference website as a book for Christmas one year, with every team's stats and a recap of every season from 1903-1988. I basically memorized that thing as I got into baseball as a teenager and young adult and I have gone on some deep dives into BR.com that have lasted many hours! Royals had some great squads in the 70s that come running into those Yankees!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Vintage Joey today! 0-for-3 with a strikeout, inspires the Dodgers to an 8-1 win. The Dodgers are 88-38 right now. They have to go 12-24 down the stretch to win 100 games. Joey is leading the charge!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Something's heating up in Southern California, and it's not just the release of greenhouse gases into the lower atmosphere.

JoJo SayWha struck out twice in 3 at-bats last night and had a walk guiding the Dodgers to yet another win in the process. Joey G is back to tied for 20th in the majors in whiffs with 126 and he's got his batting average down to .166 in the process. LA has about 35 games left, which gives him another shot at a Great Conjunction (average and strikeouts at the same mark).

Joey passed the legendary Randy Winn for 345th place with that effort. Winn struck out 1,010 times in 6,878 plate appearances. Donkey is up to 1,011 in just 2,727. Gallo is now tied for 343rd with Hall of Famer Larry Doby, who needed 6,920 plate appearances to get here. Doby could have got more but he selfishly took 1945 off from baseball to fight in World War II. He did actually lead the league in strikeouts twice, including 121 in 1953, which seems like a lot for 1953.

Next up on Joey's kill list is a player who Joey should use as a model for his post-playing days now that he's in Hollywood - Keith Hernandez. Hernandez played 17 years with the Cardinals and Mets, won an MVP and pair of World Series, did a lot of coke, but is most legendary for his role on Seinfeld. Get Joey a good agent and that natural charisma will see the roles piling up!

Up North in Seattle, Eugenio Suarez is letting it all hang out as he pursues greatness. He's up to 172 strikeouts in 128 games, a pace of 218, which is 5 short of Mark Reynolds' all-time record. He's opened up a 9-strikeout lead on Kyle Schwarber, who has returned from the day-to-day list with a vengeance, striking out 10 times in the last week. He is having the kind of season that is so Joey Gallo, he might consider changing his name.

Schwarber is currently hitting .214 with 36 HR, 77 RBI, an .805 OPS and 163 strikeouts.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Potential NLCS preview tonight with Dodgers - Mets and King Donkey is not letting the moment be too big for him.

He's 0 for 2 with 2 strikeouts and an RBI from getting hit by a pitch with the bases loaded.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Joey has found his sweep spot in LA and I couldn't be happier for the guy. Last 6 days he's 1-for-16 with 8 strikeouts, classic Gallo. Got the season average sitting pretty at .164 after shredding to the tune of a .184 average with the Dodgers. He's raised his average a staggering 5 points since leaving the Bronx Cess Pool, and he's soared into the top 78 in home runs with an outrageous FIFTEEN through 132 games. He and Aaron Judge have combined for 67 HR this year. Truly amazing. He's remained tied for 20th in the league in whiffs. He's on pace for 162 strikeouts making it possible to get another Grand Conjunction near the end of the year.

In the last few days, he's joined and passed some elite company in the all-time strikeout game. Joey's up to 1,016 in his career, tied with a couple of stiffs named John Olerud and Kenny Lofton. Both of those clowns took more than 9,000 plate appearances to achieve what Joey has only needed 2,738 to do. He also passed Joe Morgan recently. Morgan took 11,329 at-bats to get to 1,015 strikeouts. Hall of Famer? Yeah, right!

On the national scene, a healthy Kyle Schwarber has made up enormous ground and has closed the gap to just six behind Eugenio Suarez. That chase is at 175-169 right now. Schwarber is on pace for 206, Suarez for 210. Might need a nightly call out of these 2 down the stretch, starting to get a Mcgwire/Sosa feel from '98, except these guys aren't juicing for their results (I mean they probably are, but whatever).

Meanwhile I can't help but look at Joey's season and think about what might have been with a competent manager. Last year King Donkey got 498 combined at-bats from the Yankees and Strangers, and massaged 213 strikeouts of that arrangement. If he could have gotten to that # of ABs this year, he'd be on pace to strike out 227 times. When will baseball execs stop wasting his potential?

The Porkchop Express
AG
The race is on! A great night for the art of whiffing on Sunday.

First of all, King Donkey had another start and another whiff. He's got 132 this season and he's batting .166. That hot start with the Dodgers in terms of actually making the ball land in places of the field while Joey runs 90 feet is tailing off, he's back to a Gallo-esque .193 and his career average is at .201.

He's now tied with Ken Boyer and Khris Davis for 336th all time. Like Joey, Khris Davis was a halcyon of the swing and miss, wracking up his total in just 9 seasons, mostly with Oakland. He never led the league in whiffs but did get to 195 in 2017. I don't know if he retired or just nobody signed him, but he had 48 HR as recently as 2018 and was only 34 this year.

Party boy Ken Boyer took 15 years to do what Joey did in only 8. Boyer never had more 104 strikeouts in a year while playing a long career for the Cardinals. He did have a season in which he stole 22 bases and got caught a league-leading 17 times, and finished his career with 2,143 hits, a .287 average, and 282 home runs. He had some great seasons early on with the Cardinals, hitting over .300 four straight years and driving in between 90-119 runs for seven straight years.

In the overall 2022 lead, it was fight night on Sunday with our two top guys really showing out.

A Tale of the Tape

Eugenio Suarez: 1-for-5, 2 K. Total :177, Pace: 214
Kyle Schwarber: 1-for-5, 3 K: Total: 172, Pace: 208

It breaks my heart that Schwarber got hurt earlier. He only batted twice from August 11-August 19. Since then he's been on a rampage, 29 strikeouts in his last 17 games. That's a 276-whiff pace over a whole season.

Meanwhile, over in Atlanta, the law firm of Olson, Swanson, and Riley is on pace for 518 strikeouts, which would be the third most by 3 guys on the same team all time.

The Porkchop Express
AG
WINNER WINNER, DONKEY DINNER?

Joey Gallo served up a big slice of FU FRISCO last night in his first game against the Dodgers' oldest rival, belting a 3-run homer and adding a patented strikeout to lead the boys in blue to a 6-3 win. LA is now 50 ****ing games over .500.

Max Muncy hit a pair of homers and is now batting .192 on the year. Gallo, at .168, saw Muncy's shiny new batting average in the final stats and whistled at the post-game press conference, saying into a hot mike, "Jesus, who is this guy, Rod Carew?"

Donkey ran his home run total to 16 and his RBI count to a remarkable 37. I guarantee you there aren't a lot of power hitters who can have 37 RBI on September 7th!

Meanwhile, Kyle Schwarber continued his assault on Eugenio Suarez's once seemingly safe strikeout lead.

The tale of the tape from last night:

Eugenio Suarez: 1-for-3, 0 K, Total: 177
Kyle Schwarber, 1-for-4, 2 K, Total 174

YokelRidesAgain
AG
What is it about former Texas Rangers on the New York Yankees?

Making his 2022 season debut, former Rangers stalwart Ronald Guzman promptly goes 0 for 4 with 4 strikeouts.

Finding himself at bat with the bases loaded and nobody out in the bottom of the 11th, Guzman heroically passed up the chance at the coveted Platinum Sombrero, instead grounding into a classic 3-2-3 double play as he lumbered up the line like a three toed ground sloth.

And the game--goes--on!
The Porkchop Express
AG
BREAKING NEWS: Kyle Schwarber has pulled within one whiff of Eugenio Suarez for the league lead. Schwaber is up to 177, the idle Suarez at 178.

The Porkchop Express
AG
So with about 24 games to go, we've got the strikeout race we need, if not necessarily the one we deserve (no Donkey).

Eugenio Suarez has seen his lead drop to a single strikeout as he has gotten bizarrely hot and is batting .233 on the year.
Kyle Schwarber, who has played 5 fewer games, is completely locked in, either hitting home runs or striking out, just as Joey would have wanted it.

It's sort of nuts how similar these two guys stats are. Check out the tale of the tape

At-bats: Suarez 490, Schwarber 492
Hits: Suarez 114, Schwarber 104
RBI: Suarez 79, Schwarber 78
Total Bases: Suarez 222, Schwarber 235
Walks: Suarez 69, Schwarber 66
OPS: Suarez .788, Schwarber .785
STrikeouts: Suarez 178, Schwarber 177

Patrick Wisdom is a distant third at 158. The only other guys with at least 150 are Dansby Swanson, Gallo 2.0 Adolis Garcia, and Aaron Judge.

Joey is still fighting the good fight tied for 20th with 135 whiffs. He's accomplished this in 297 at-bats. His hot streak with LA has his WAR above 0 for the first time all year at a stunning 0.3. He had to leave Wednesday's game with an injury- Giants' POS pitcher Alex Cobb hit him in the elbow with a pitch. The X-rays came out negative and it's being called a right elbow contusion. Unknown on his return time.

To pass the time, here's Joey charming the local talent

The Porkchop Express
AG
Give it up for DH Donkey!

After getting blasted with a 96- MPH fastball in the elbow Wednesday, Joey G returned to the lineup with a vengeance on Friday, striking out 3 times in 4 at-bats in a loss to the Padres! Joey climbed up to 18th in strikeouts with the trifecta, and now has 138 in 301 at-bats, a 45.8% strikeout clip.

Meanwhile, Eugenio Suarez responded to the pressure of Kyle Schwarber knocking at his door with a 2-strikeout night to reach 180 for the year. Schwarber failed to strike out and is still at 177. Both guys are still on pace to strikeout 200 games, but Suarez's pace is down to a pedestrian 208. Looks like Mark Reynolds' record will survive another year.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Jo Jo SayWha is heating up down the stretch, and it's a thrill to watch the King in action. Ser Gallo-Had dominated the Padres by going 0-for-4 with 2 strikeouts to key an 11-2 Dodger win. AL is 96-43, all thanks to Joey Gallo. Joey has risen to 140 strikeouts this year in just 305 at-bats and has his pace up to 161 for the year. He's batting .164, which means he's got a shot of a lesser, but still very impressive conjunction of strikeouts and average.

The overall strikeout lead is back to to a single whiff as Eugenio Suarez went without yesterday, allowing Kyle Schwarber to close within 180-179. What a time to be alive!

Swanson, Riley, and Olson are up to a combined 446 with 22 games to go. That's a 516-whiff pace. Going to start following them daily on the countdown to 500. Only 4 other trios have ever made it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Joey's doing it, he's making a run at another conjunction.

Up to 14th in strikeouts with #141 last night. He's only 5 strikeouts outside the top 10 right now despite
the appalling lack of use this year. He's also batting .163. There's a possible intersection there if the Dodgers' management will just give him the right opportunities.

By the way his strikeout total is exactly one half his on-base percentage of .282. Not sure that's ever been done before.
He's up to 1,026 for his career in 2,759 plate appearances. He passed Darell Porter last night. Porter played 17 years and only reached 1,025 strikeouts. Joey is now got his sights on a few ative players, including Mike Zunino (1,027), Jackie Bradley Jr. (1,030) and Marcell Ozuna (1,032).
Also just ahead is Rod Carew, the Joey Gallo of the 1970s, except that he never struck out more than 91 times in a season, and that was as a rookiee. , and won 7 batting titles, and had 32x as many sacrifice flys in his career as Joey,.

Suarez and Schwarber were both off last night, so no change there.
The Porkchop Express
AG
King Donkey clinched the NL West title for the Dodgers last night with a signature performance, going 1 for 4 with a 2-run homer, a walk, and 2 strikeouts in a 4-0 win over the Diamondbacks, who apparently still have a team.

I can't imagine anyone here envisioned that Joey would already have 17 HR and 39 RBi on September 14. That kind of production is hard to imagine for most folks.

The two strikeouts gives him 143 on the year. he's tied for 14th with Bo Bichete, who has 264 more at-bats this year. Joey is now just 3 strikeouts out of the Top 10 for the year and he has tied Rod Carew for 328th all-time with 1,028 strikeouts. Carew needed 10,550 plate appearances to get there. Joey's done it in 2,764.

He's also up to 38th among active players.

This accomplishment guarantees us some post-season Donkey action. Playing for the Rangers all those years, Joey admits he didn't actually know there even were baseball playoffs. He thought everyone just went to the ballpark from April to October to have fun and make friends. Joey will enter the post-season with a career playoff average of .000, so a lot to live up to based on his 1-game performance with the Yankees in the wild-card play in game last year.

Eugenio Suarez had one strikeout last night to edge a bit further ahead of Kyle Schwarber for the overall lead, it's now 181-179.

In the 3-man race, Dansby Swanson (1), Austin Riley (0), and Matt Olson (3) combined for 4 strikeouts last night against the Giants. They are up to a combined 453 strikeouts through 142 games. That puts them on pace for 516.8.

The only 3 trios to strike out more than 500 times in a season are:

2010 Diamondbacks, 535: Mark Reynolds (211), Adam LaRoche (172), and Justin Upton (152).
2016 Orioles, 526: Chris Davis (219), Mark Trumbo (170), and Jonathan Schoop (137)
2018 Rangers, 503: Donkey (207), Shin-Soo Choo (156) and Robinson Chirinos (140).

The Porkchop Express
AG
Now that Joey's in Hollywood, I'm hearing some buzz surrounding his name for a Top Gun-esque baseball movie about a group of elite strikeout hitters brought together to take a run at Mark Reynolds' record. Here's a bit of the working script

Reggie: "Be seated. I'm Admiral Jackson, all-time strikeout king. You're all former strikeout leaders. The elite.
The best of the best. That was yesterday. The new shift rules are giving hitters more and more chances to
get on base. Success in striking out now comes down to the man in the batter's box. Your mission is to break the all-time single-season strikeout record of 223. For this assignment, you will receive special training from strikeout royalty. His exploits are legend and he's considered to be one of the top 35,000 hitters in Major League history. I give you Mr. Joey Gallo. Call Sign: DONKEY."

The Porkchop Express
AG
King Donkey continues to subtly guide this Dodger juggernaut, inspiring them to their 99th win of the year with an RBI groundout, a stolen base, and a strikeout. That's 3 stolen bases on the year for King Donkey and 29 for his career. He's averaging 3.625 steals per year, which has him on pace to match Rickey Henderson's career record of 1,406 in the year 2409. Watch your back, Rickey!

The strikeout is the 1,030th of Donkey's career and he is now batting just under .200 for his career at .1998.
He's tied Reggie Smith for 327th all-time on the whiff list. Reggie played 17 years to get there. Reggie was a slick fielding outfielder who also played 1st, 3rd, 2B, and DH in the 60s and 702 for the Red Sox, Cardinals, and Dodgers, and feels like he might have been on steroids in 1977 when he suddenly had a 1.003 OPS and a .576 SLG with 32 HR in 1977 out of nowhere. He's in the cut of guys that had really good careers that don't sniff the HOF - 2,020 career hits, 363 doubles, 314 HR, and a .287 batting average. Career OPS of .855.

Despite all that he got exactly 3 votes for the HOF in his first year of eligibility and was removed from the ballot. He also once led the AL with 33 doubles. How is that possible?

Anyway, back to the present day, where Kyle Schwarber has again narrowed Eugenio Suarez's strikeout lead to just 1, 183-182. Suarez has 19 games left, Schwarber has 18. Both teams are trying to make the playoffs so they should be everyday guys the rest of the way.

Swanson, Olson, and Riley stunk it up to the tune of just 1 combined strikeout last night for the Braves. They are on pace for 518 combined strikeouts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.