*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

130,905 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by West Texan
West Texan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Don't know how Barlow gets a QO before Manu and Julian

Julian is in the summer league roster. Hopefully just a matter of time.

I know Wemby will be on the roster for Vegas, but will Sochan as well? I thought I remembered hearing that he was going to participate in summer league.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

New season starts tomorrow, who wants the esteemed honor of starting the season thread?

Is Adam87 still around? Who's our team elder statesman?

This is the only time I ever started a season thread and it netted us the first pick. While I feel accomplished, I'm hoping for better results, so someone else needs to start it.

I wouldn't be mad with another #1 overall
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Julian is in the summer league roster. Hopefully just a matter of time.

I know Wemby will be on the roster for Vegas, but will Sochan as well? I thought I remembered hearing that he was going to participate in summer league.

I'm a little disappointed, but it's not like he's fighting for a roster spot.
superunknown
AG
Pretty sure I would have forgotten Greg Stiemsma existed were it not for seeing his name on our asst coach list for summer league. And he's also like the 3rd or 4th big for Minnesota in nba2k13 where my alter ego (a stretch point four-ward) absolutely wrecks shop for the Spurs.
Ag Natural
AG
Amongst our sub-21 year olds... Sochan showed to be the most ready NBA player already in his rookie season. It's pretty uncommon for a rookie to start from day one. He doesn't need the Summer league.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Not a surprise but more Poeltl stuff from hoopshype.

Quote:

Jakob Poeltl is expected to receive strong interest from the Raptors, Spurs and Rockets in free agency, league sources told HoopsHype. There's a belief around the league that Poeltl could command around $20 million annually and could end free agency with a deal in the ballpark of three years, $20 million, according to NBA executives who spoke with HoopsHype.
Sher Thing
AG
3/$60mm would be a pretty good deal for Poeltl. Especially considering you can probably move him at anytime for another first rounder, if desired lol.
LawHall88
AG
Sher Thing
AG
Quote:

The Spurs will have three two-way contracts to award, hybrid deals that share a player with the G League. Those are expected to go to Dominick Barlow, second-round pick Sidy Cissoko and undrafted free agent Sir'Jabari Rice, who played his final college season at Texas. The Spurs have expressed interest in bringing back Julian Champagnie who finished last season on a two-way contract on a full NBA deal.
Looks like Cissoko with the last two-way deal and Champagnie on a full NBA deal.
Sher Thing
AG
Quote:

Georges Niang is expected to receive free agency interest from the Spurs, Bulls, 76ers, and Cavaliers, per HoopsHype. The 6-7 forward has shot 40.3% from 3P in his career.
Enzo The Baker
AG
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
LawHall88 said:

Take him in a heartbeat. He's gonna be All-Defense 1st team and if he can work out his shot, he's gonna be killer.
LawHall88
AG
[url] [/url]
Enzo The Baker
AG
Hope we can re-sign him.
Guitarsoup
AG
So Boston has 11 players under contract for $173mm. They need 4 more.

Currently have $8mm in luxury tax.
Currently, $7mm in Super Apron space.

PF: Kristaps
Wing: Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Jordan Walsh, Sam Hauser
Point: Derrick White, Malcolm Brogdon, Payton Prichard

Obviously, Kristaps is a PF/C and Tatum is a Wing/PF.

If they match anything on Grant Williams, they are way over the luxury tax apron. And it seems like they need a legit wing more than they need Grant, who is more of a PF/undersized C.

Offer Grant a front loaded contract, which makes it even harder to match.

First year 10mm? If Boston matches, that would put them 18mm over the luxury tax and over the Super Apron, and they still need 3 players. All 3 would have to be vet min deals, so about 2mm. That would put them around 24mm over the luxury tax. That 24mm would put Boston at $60mm in luxury tax this year for a total salary+tax at ~250mm.

I don't think they match.
Sher Thing
AG
Obviously Spurs need a center.

Brook Lopez tops my list but it looks like he most likely stays in Milwaukee. Poeltl is out there but I'm not sure the Spurs want to commit to a 4 year deal worth $80mm.

Other veteran FA centers include Mason Plumlee and Dwight Powell.

Spurs probably need another SG off the bench who can shoot the ball. DiVincenzo, Max Strus, Seth Curry possibly.

Not sure how the Spurs want to handle the PG position. I assume Tre Jones will be back. Do they call it a day and run with Graham as the backup or do they still want some more veteran help? Jevon Carter, George Hill, Cory Joseph are options. Maybe they call OKC about Micic?

I think Grant Williams is a solid role player who can help a team. I think you would probably need to move Doug for that signing to make sense though.
Sher Thing
AG
Quote:

Los Angeles has made Ivica Zubac available in trade conversations, via Yahoo Sports' Jake Fischer. If traded, the Clippers would look to retain Mason Plumlee to fill Zubac's role.
Two years left on his deal at $11mm per year.
Guitarsoup
AG

Detroit absorbs Joe Harris's 20mm contract for just two seconds

For all the people that want to use our cap space to acquire picks...

It ain't worth it
Sher Thing
AG
He only has 1 year left on his deal. It's not like they took some monstrosity of a contract.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yup. 1st rounders are going to be more valuable going forward. We do have a war chest of seconds though if we identify a good role player like the Harris trade.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I don't think it can be said enough how masterful that DeJounte trade was. My goodness. Took advantage of his all star status before the new CBA came out. Compare that to Chicago and LaVine, yeesh.
Sher Thing
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I don't think it can be said enough how masterful that DeJounte trade was. My goodness. Took advantage of his all star status before the new CBA came out. Compare that to Chicago and LaVine, yeesh.
Yeah no doubt. What a move that was.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

He only has 1 year left on his deal. It's not like they took some monstrosity of a contract.

We aren't going to take on anyone that chokes away our cap space next summer
Enzo The Baker
AG
3 hours away from a Mason Plumlee signing.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yahoo continuing to say LAL will match anything on Reaves and Rui. I say make an offer to Reaves. Worst case you tie up $12MM for 24 hours and contribute to putting LAL in future cap hell.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Yahoo continuing to say LAL will match anything on Reaves and Rui. I say make an offer to Reaves. Worst case you tie up $12MM for 24 hours and contribute to putting LAL in future cap hell.
I think thats subterfuge. Lakers are trying to discourage teams from actually offering the max so they can resign him at less. they may very well match, but they are going to do everything the can to try and get him to sign for less

but i agree. i think we should make an offer. yes, the last two years of his deal will hurt, but with the cap going up over thenext few years, it might very well look like a bargain when all is said and done
Enzo The Baker
AG
A French outlet is saying Sidy's contract is guaranteed.
Guitarsoup
AG
Cap is maxed at 10% growth/year.

136 this year.

max 2024-25: 149.6 - Devin Vassell extension, Zach Collins resign
Max 2025-26: 164.6 - Nothing currently scheduled - Reaves 35mm would be 21% of cap
Max 2026-27: 181 - Sochan, Branham, Wesley extensions kick in, Bassey UFA - Reaves 35mm would be 19% of the cap.
Max 2027-28 - 199 - Wemby Extension kicks in, Keldon UFA

Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

136 this year.

Max 2025-26: 164.6 - Nothing currently scheduled - Reaves 35mm would be 21% of cap
Max 2026-27: 181 - Sochan, Branham, Wesley extensions kick in, Bassey UFA - Reaves 35mm would be 19% of the cap.

Jeez that's a lot of money for a good year end performance. But I do think Reaves' toughness is rare. I'd roll the dice.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

136 this year.

Jeez that's a lot of money for a good year end performance. But I do think Reaves' toughness is rare. I'd roll the dice.
I am afraid of the Duncan Robinson precedent. Those last 70mm are gonna be awful if Reaves can't continue playing the way he did the last ~25 games of his career.

Even in the playoffs when he was their #3 option, he was just a 17/4/4 guy with minus defense and that isn't a max guy.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

136 this year.

I am afraid of the Duncan Robinson precedent. Those last 70mm are gonna be awful if Reaves can't continue playing the way he did the last ~25 games of his career.

Even in the playoffs when he was their #3 option, he was just a 17/4/4 guy with minus defense and that isn't a max guy.

Duncan Robinson is a parking cone on defense that doesn't have the play making ability of Reaves. I don't know what stats you were looking at but his defensive rating was one of the best in the playoffs from what I saw.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

136 this year.

Duncan Robinson is a parking cone on defense that doesn't have the play making ability of Reaves. I don't know what stats you were looking at but his defensive rating was one of the best in the playoffs from what I saw.

I don't put a lot of stock into defensive rating on a small sample because it's very influenced by the other people you're on the court with.

In the regular season he was among the worst at creating deflections. There aren't a lot of great defensive players that are 14 percentile in deflections, especially wing defenders.

I think he'll continue to be a great shooter and a decent playmaker, but our data set is very small on him.

I'm not saying that. He's like Duncan Robinson at all but Duncan Robinson got that massive 100 million contract based on a very small data set. Another contract is an albatross

It's risky.
Guitarsoup
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.