*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

130,828 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by West Texan
aggieactor01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
West Texan said:

In case anyone was wondering what the final tally was.

I don't know why that made me laugh so hard but it did. Thanks!
Obi Wan Ginobili
West Texan said:

In case anyone was wondering what the final tally was.

Woj had garbage time breaks with crap players. Those don't get.

Shams is sneaky 1A / 1B.

Also, Woj is a *****nozzle
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Think we have the chance to do an OKC-style rehabilitation on Graham. Birch is not a bad 5th big either. With all that pick compensation coming back as well, I'm cool with what we did at the deadline. We really only have 3 guys who for sure are on a trajectory to be rotation players on a playoff team in Keldon, Devin, and Sochan (and I suspect we would trade KJ if the right offer comes along). The only way I see the FO switching gears from asset-gain mode next year is if our first round pick shows he's an obvious superstar right away a la Doncic his rookie year.
Ag Natural
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Think we have the chance to do an OKC-style rehabilitation on Graham. Birch is not a bad 5th big either. With all that pick compensation coming back as well, I'm cool with what we did at the deadline. We really only have 3 guys who for sure are on a trajectory to be rotation players on a playoff team in Keldon, Devin, and Sochan (and I suspect we would trade KJ if the right offer comes along). The only way I see the FO switching gears from asset-gain mode next year is if our first round pick shows he's an obvious superstar right away a la Doncic his rookie year.
I bet the FO believes Collins can continue to develop as well. He's the starting center the rest of this season so he'll get his chance to prove something.

The only criticism I saw was for not taking full advantage of the cap space during the trade season. We could have added even more picks by taking on some players. When that's your only gripe, that's pretty good. I feel like there comes a point when you have too many picks anyway.
Guitarsoup
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

I think Tre Jones is fine as a backup PG. Can't shoot the three as well, but better passer than Patty. Taller Speedy Claxton?

Dougie won't be around for any title runs more than likely, but he's fine as a stretch 4 coming off the bench. I think we move him for like half a dozen 2nd rounders next February.

Likewise, Collins is great for a 15min/game guy coming off the bench. Especially with his cap number coming in at about 6% of the cap. If our model is the Beautiful Game team, Collins is a very solid passer and efficient scorer that is at 61% TS this year. Durant is career 62% TS. Collins' per-36 numbers are 17/10/4.5 and he is big enough to muscle other centers, is dumb enough to not GAF and can step back and make you respect his range (36% from 3, 47% 16-23' midrange. Just limit his numbers and hope he can come in twice and give you some solid buckets, rebounds and passes, frustrate the other teams' posts, and then go rest.

Who knows what the Spurs will have in Branham and Wesley. Wesley is putting up 20/4 on 43/36 shooting in Austin this year.

22yo Charles Bassey (from St Anthony HS) is playing great in Austin on the 2-way. H's putting up 23/9 in 29mpg with a very nice 69% of his FGs going down. With Poeltl gone, he will probably spend more time in SA.

If Stanimal Johnson keeps shooting the way he is, he'll have a place on the team going forward.

Birch is just holding a roster spot. His per-36 stats in Toronto this year were like 9/5 this year. My guess is trade or buyout. Rather give a young guy minutes than tank with a 30+ guy that will never be more than he is now if we are tanking.

Draft picks:

This year:

Spurs #1
Spurs 2nd (right now would be 2nd pick)
Toronto 2nd (right now, 9th pick)
Indiana 2nd pick won't convey

------------

2024:
1st:
Spurs #1
Raptors (top 6 protected)
Hornets (top 14 protected)

2nd:
Spurs
Lakers
NOLA

-------------

2025:
1st:
Spurs #1
Hornets #1 (top 14 protected, if it didn't convey in 2024)
Hawks #1 (unprotected)
Bulls #1 (top 10 protected in 2025, top 8 in 26 and 27)
Raptors #1 (top 6 protected, if not conveyed already)

2nd:
Spurs
Chicago
Toronto

-------------
2026:

1st:
Spurs #1 (Spurs hold option to swap with Atlanta, unprotected)
Bulls #1 (top 8 protected, if it didn't convey already)
Raptors #1 (top 6 protected, if not conveyed already)

2nd
Spurs
Most desirable of Pacers/Miami 2nd rounders
NOLA
Hornets (if 1st round pick never conveyed, unprotected)

---------------

1st:
Spurs
Hawks
Bulls (top 8 protected, if not conveyed already)

2nd:
Spurs
Raptors (if first round pick doesn't convey)
Worst pick of OKC/Houston/Miami/Indiana

-------------

2028:

1st:
Spurs

2nd
Spurs
Denver
NOLA

-------------

2029:

1st
Spurs

2nd
Spurs
NOLA
MookieBlaylock
AG
1.5 games out of the one seed

The race to the bottom is heating up and let the Rodeo Trip begin!
jteagle
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Well, they are trying real hard to pass Detroit tonight.

Guitarsoup
AG
Sure, I'm in my 40s, under 6' and about 50lbs over my playing weight, but I feel like this may be the year I finally get a 10-day contract
Enzo The Baker
AG
Hell yea.

Ag Natural
AG
jteagle said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Well, they are trying real hard to pass Detroit tonight.

Detroit may have something to say about that
2008and1
AG
Branham hasn't read the tanking memo.
jteagle
AG
The Pistons are so bad. They can't even beat our B team.
Guitarsoup
AG
Spurs going to spend the next 3 months getting Graham to put up 20/10 with 45% on threes then trade him for three firsts
superunknown
AG
MookieBlaylock
AG
C'mon Houston do your thing and win meaningless games and piss away the #1 pick

.5 back

Let's flush this terd
Guitarsoup
AG
Sochan with 18/9/5. Had a steal, a block and didn't miss a FT. Had to pull him after just 21 minutes because Atlanta was playing John Collins on him and we didn't want to win.

Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Looking at Charlotte, since their pick won't convey this year.

Top 14 protected next year.

Their 23 pick will probably be in the top-7 range, which is nice, since it is a deep draft. Under contract next year:

Mark Williams 21yo. 15th pick last year. 7/4 in 15mpg as a rookie
Kai Jones: 22yo. 1st rounder in 21, still just a 8mpg player

Stretch:
JT Thor 20yo. Stretch 4 without the shot. Contract not guaranteed next year.

Wing:
Gordon Hayward 33yo, 14/4/4 this year, 3py dropped below 30%.
James Bouktnight 22yo. Option already extended, but he's straight trash
Cody Martin 27yo. Knee injury this year has limited him to 7 games. Last year was an 8/4 reserve with good shooting numbers. 2y15mm left on his trash contract.

Combo:
Terry Rozier 29yo. 22/5/4 on 42/33/82 shooting

Lead:
LaMelo Ball: 21yo. Lots of injuries this year. 23/8/6

Free agents:
Restricted:
PJ Washington. Strech4/Post. 24yo. 15/5/2 this year. Rebounding and shot needs work.
Nick Richards. Post 25yo. 8/6 in 17mpg in his 3rd season.
Miles Bridges Wing/Stretch 25yo. Put up 20/7/4 last year. Has not played this year after pleading guilty to felony domestic violent. Hornets want to bring him back next year.

Unrestricted:
Kelly Oubre: 27yo wing. 20/5 on poor shooting stats.
Dennis Smith Jr. He just turned 25. It seems like generations ago he was looking great as a rookie for Dallas. He's an 8/4 player with no range on a min contract. I'd love to have him as a backup/third PG on a min contract. But wow, I thought he would actually be good.

If they can get someone decent in the draft and bring back Washington and Bridges, maybe they can make the playin. They openly want to bring back Washington and Bridges. I assume Oubre walks. They traded away Jaden McDaniels for a couple seconds because he was going to walk this year.

If they cut Thor from his unguaranteed contract, that's 84.7mm in salaries. Bridges will probably come cheaper than his value bc of the arrest. Washington shouldn't make more than Keldon, but Charlotte is stupid. Their 1st rounder will be somewhere between 6mm (6th) and 10mm (1st). Plus Washington and Bridges and they are out of cap space. I would assume they would use the full MLE on a center if they don't get Wemby.

Draft picks:
1st: Own Pick
2nd: Utah (right now 12th pick)
2nd: Least favorable of Thunder, Wizards, more favorable of Heat, Mavericks
2nd Boston (last pick)
Full MLE
Bi-Annual

Stretch: PJ Washington
Wing: Miles Bridges/ Gordon Hayward/Bouknight/Martin
Combo: Rozier
Lead: LaMelo

If they land #1, they take Wemby. However, I think Scoot is the best #2 pick, but I don't know that he would work well with LaMelo/Rozier. I could see a Trae/Luka there to move down a spot or two and still be able to grab Brandon Miller, who fits their needs better. Miller is 6'9 200, hitting 43% of his threes and averaging 19/8 for Bama. Then maybe get Thomas Bryant for the MLE. Is he worth more?

Your primary rotation of Bryant, Washington, Miller, Bridges, Rozier, LaMelo and maybe Hayward is fairly solid.

If they are at #2 and I am the Spurs, I consider offering something like Doug + protected Spurs 1st and whatever 3-6th pick the Spurs have for Hayward and their #2 pick. They can still get Miller or Ausar Thompson that fits their team better and the Spurs can get the lead that fits their team. Plus, despite the salary difference (big savings for them) Gordie is a better passer by far than Doug and we don't really need him for our rotation that much.

I think the Hornets drafting in that 1-6 area nets them at worst Brandon Miller or Ausar Thompson, and that is the type of player that works well for their nucleus. PJ and Rozier are not efficient scorers, but ideally with a guy like Brandon Miller to stretch defenses out the way Hayward should have, they can get cleaner looks. If they get a solid SG/Combo like Amen in the draft, I think they try to move Rozier and his 3y73m contract.

If the Hornets don't **** things up, the Spurs pick should convey in 2024 or 2025. But the Hornets not ****ing things up is a big ask.
LawHall88
AG
MookieBlaylock
AG
Who?
Guitarsoup
AG
Stanimal!

Hitting 53% of his FGs and 45% of his threes.

Obviously way too effective for the tank job.
MookieBlaylock
AG
I think we need to bring back Dominique and Lloyd Daniels to lock this up
superunknown
AG
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
That's a great deal
Guitarsoup
AG
Current NBA Head Coaches from Pop's Tree:

Nets: Jacque Vaughn. Won title as player under Pop, then started coaching career under Pop with Spurs.
76ers: Doc Rivers (Champ as coach) Pop signed in to the Spurs in 1994 and he stayed in SA until Orlando hired him in 1999. 1x COY
Bucks: Mike Budenholzer (Champ as coach). Pop hired him as a video coordinator, and promoted him to assistant. 2x COY awards
Celtics: Ime Udoka. Played parts of three seasons for Pop, then was asst coach from 2012-2019
Nuggets: Mike Malone Spent 5 years under former Pop Assistant Mike Brown in Cleveland.
Jazz: Will Hardy - Spurs assistant from 2015-21.
Warriors: Won two titles as a player for Pop, 4x as coach and COY.
Clippers; Started coaching career under Pop protege Doc Rivers in LA. Champ as coach.
Lakers; Darvin Ham. NBA coaching start under former Pop assistant Mike Brown, then left to coach under Mike Budenhozler.
Kings: Mike Brown. assistant for Robinson's last 3 years under Pop. Four titles as assistant coach under Pop and Kerr, one COY as HC.
Suns: Monty Williams. Pop traded for him in 96, played for Pop for 3 years. Coaching start with Spurs in 04-05, winning first ring as assistant. COY.
Pelicans: Willie Green. Started out as coach under Pop protoge Kerr.
Taylor Jenkins: Started career coaching Austin Spurs, then coached under Bud.
Hawks: Joe Prunty. First ten years coaching under Pop with the Spurs, left to coach under Avery.

Go deeper:
Timberwolves: Chris Finch learned under Mike Malone who learned under Mike Brown, who learned under Pop
Wizards: Wes Unseld learned under Mike Malone who learned under Mike Brown, who learned under Pop
Knicks: Tom Thibodeau was HC in SA then Assoc HC for Doc in Boston

Other/Former HCs:
Brett Brown. Asst on the first four Spurs titles, then HC of Philly. Rejoined Spurs this year.
Quin Snyder: Left NCAA to coach Austin Spurs.
James Borrego: Spurs Asst from 03-10 and 15-18.
P. J. Carlesimo: Pop assistant for a half dozen years before coaching Thunder and Nets.
Avery Johnson: Played under Pop from 91-01, winning a title. COY.
Ettore Messina: Spurs assistant for 5y. Tons of European coaching awards
Sean Marks (NBA Executive) Played under Pop from 03-06 and coached 11-16.
Becky Harmon- Vegas Aces HC. 14-21 assistant. WNBA Champion coach in first season
Alvin Gentry - first coaching job in NBA was with Pop in SA. Also Kerr's assoc HC.
Jim Boylen - Won title as Spurs asst, then became Bulls HC.
Vinny DelNegro - played for Pop as an asst and HC.
Mo Cheeks - played for Pop as asst.
Sam Presti - Exec in OKC, started as intern in SA and credited with discovering Tony Parker
Scott Layden - Former Spurs Asst GM, now Minn GM.
Hawks GM Landry Fields started as Spurs Scout then GM of Austin Spurs.
Tiago Splitter -Nets Director of Player Dev
Mike Finley is AsstGm in Dallas

HOF players that Pop coached, signed or traded:
David Robinson
Moses Malone
Mo Cheeks
Dennis Rodman
Dominque Wilkins
Tim Duncan
Manu Ginobili
Tony Parker
Tracy McGrady
Kawhi Leonard
Sarunas Marciulionis
Tim Hardaway
Chris Mullin
Chris Webber
TheMarcus
Pau Gasol
Boban
Steve Kerr
Doc Rivers
Andrew Gaze (FIBA HOF)
Patty Mills (NBA Champ, Olympic Bronze, 4x FIBA Gold, might get in)
superunknown
AG
Dollar tree patty mills acting up

Guitarsoup
AG
What a dumbass. He was waived a week ago so he could sign somewhere after the trade deadline. Instead, his career is probably over at 29.
MookieBlaylock
AG
"someone he is in a dating relationship with" smells like a grnder hook up
flashplayer
AG
Losing to Charlotte tonight ought to have basically clinched the highest odds at #1 since they now have 3 more wins and still play the other two teams in the tank a thon.
West Texan
AG
LawHall88
AG
Well this is pretty cool.
Iowaggie
AG
superunknown said:

Dollar tree patty mills acting up

Elsa Jean (probably don't want to search for her at work)
who am I kidding, we all already know what she looks like.

MookieBlaylock
AG
He looks like Baker Mayfield in that mugshot
West Texan
AG
Well, in non-domestic violence news; Pop and Tony Parker were both named HOF finalists yesterday.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.