*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

130,833 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by West Texan
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw an interview with Gilbert Arenas, and he gave more background on the failed Chris Paul trade.

Lakers were sending Odom and Gasol out to get Chris Paul.
Lakers had another deal in place centering around Bynum and everything else for Dwight Howard and Gilbert Arenas.
The Lakers would then Amnesty Arenas and only have Kobe, Paul, and Howard on contract and they would use the cap space, MLE, and vet mins to fill up the rest of the team.

Arenas said the Lakers would have had max cap space, but that just wasn't true. Lakers ended up making a Howard trade a year later and for some reason they thought a team with geriatric Kobe/Gasol/Nash plus Howard would be great with DAntoni at coach.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Wut does this terrible story have to do with the Spurs?
Guitarsoup
AG
Other team fanbases don't deserve such knowledge
AggieEP
Another thought that popped into my head today, and I know this idea is going to piss off Guitarsoup, but what if the Spurs kick the tires with the Pelicans about the availability of Zion?

When he plays, he's a true superstar and an efficient scoring machine, he's already signed to an extension that would keep him with the Spurs through 2028 so the Spurs don't have to worry about resigning him anytime soon.

The downside is obvious, he basically never plays, but what if that is just bad luck and not ill intent on his part? Maybe the Spurs can put a package together that makes sense for both sides. Especially for the Pelicans, they need one or two more pieces to really compete in the West, so maybe send Zach Collins and Keldon Johnson to the Pelicans + 1 or both of the protected (either Bulls or Raptors) 1st round picks for Zion. The Pelicans get actual consistent contributors while the Spurs get a 22 year old who at his peak ability is a clear star. The outgoing price for the Spurs is also not really exorbitant, and if Zion can stay on the court, it's a steal for the Spurs.

I also think that Zion would pair well with either Wemby or Scoot. If either one of those two are actually a star, then the Spurs have the 2 stars part of the equation down and it's time to put the other pieces around them. With Vassell and Sochan, I think you have two pieces that make sense so it's really about finding one more starter and some bench pieces.

Scoot
Vassell
Zion
Sochan
+ need to find a big

or

+ need to find a PG, I'm not sure in house options are championship level
Vassell
Zion
Sochan
Wemby

Both lineups make the Spurs fun to watch and likely competitive for a long time.
Guitarsoup
AG
AggieEP said:

Another thought that popped into my head today, and I know this idea is going to piss off Guitarsoup, but what if the Spurs kick the tires with the Pelicans about the availability of Zion?

When he plays, he's a true superstar and an efficient scoring machine, he's already signed to an extension that would keep him with the Spurs through 2028 so the Spurs don't have to worry about resigning him anytime soon.

The downside is obvious, he basically never plays, but what if that is just bad luck and not ill intent on his part? Maybe the Spurs can put a package together that makes sense for both sides. Especially for the Pelicans, they need one or two more pieces to really compete in the West, so maybe send Zach Collins and Keldon Johnson to the Pelicans + 1 or both of the protected (either Bulls or Raptors) 1st round picks for Zion. The Pelicans get actual consistent contributors while the Spurs get a 22 year old who at his peak ability is a clear star. The outgoing price for the Spurs is also not really exorbitant, and if Zion can stay on the court, it's a steal for the Spurs.

I also think that Zion would pair well with either Wemby or Scoot. If either one of those two are actually a star, then the Spurs have the 2 stars part of the equation down and it's time to put the other pieces around them. With Vassell and Sochan, I think you have two pieces that make sense so it's really about finding one more starter and some bench pieces.

Scoot
Vassell
Zion
Sochan
+ need to find a big

or

Vassell
Zion
Sochan
Wemby

Both lineups make the Spurs fun to watch and likely competitive for a long time.
Zion has played 114 of a possible 328 games over 4 seasons. He has tremendous talent, but I don't want to put all my eggs in a basket missing 2/3rds of the bottom. He has 5y/194mm contract. If you could get him for Keldon/Graham/and the protected picks (Char/Tor/Chi) then sure, you roll the dice, but I think his 200mm contract starts to look like John Wall's towards the end of it. I don't know if it is effort or what, but he has Bill Walton disease. But I think NOLA is going to demand a Anthony Davis haul for him.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

AggieEP said:

Scoot
Vassell
Zion
Sochan
+ need to find a big

or

Vassell
Zion
Sochan
Wemby

Zion has played 114 of a possible 328 games over 4 seasons. He has tremendous talent, but I don't want to put all my eggs in a basket missing 2/3rds of the bottom. He has 5y/194mm contract. If you could get him for Keldon/Graham/and the protected picks (Char/Tor/Chi) then sure, you roll the dice, but I think his 200mm contract starts to look like John Wall's towards the end of it. I don't know if it is effort or what, but he has Bill Walton disease. But I think NOLA is going to demand a Anthony Davis haul for him.

The pelicans aren't giving up Zion for that kind of a package. They have too much riding on the hope of him being able to play full time.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

AggieEP said:

Scoot
Vassell
Zion
Sochan
+ need to find a big

or

Vassell
Zion
Sochan
Wemby

The pelicans aren't giving up Zion for that kind of a package. They have too much riding on the hope of him being able to play full time.
Yeah, that's why I said I think NOLA would demand a AD haul for Zion. But with the fact that he plays 1/3rd of his games and has a 200mm contract, he really isn't worth that much more than top 30 wing and a few protected picks.
jteagle
AG
Personally, I would be a little disappointed if the Spurs traded for Zion. It's just too big of a gamble. His injury history goes all the way back to high school according to one article I read. I'd rather take my chances if finding another star with all of the draft picks.

Of course, this would be a whole other story!

Guitarsoup
AG
jteagle said:

Personally, I would be a little disappointed if the Spurs traded for Zion. It's just too big of a gamble. His injury history goes all the way back to high school according to one article I read. I'd rather take my chances if finding another star with all of the draft picks.

Of course, this would be a whole other story!

That's why I proposed that big trade with Dallas a couple weeks ago in here:

Quote:

So Dallas is imploding. Kyrie, Powell, and Christian Wood are free agents and they likely have no cap room several bad contracts (Bertans, Hardaway, Maxi) no draft pick this year unless it falls in top ten. Luka seems unhappy and is kind of a moody ***** anyway.

If the Spurs land Wemby, would you do this trade with Dallas (and do you think Dallas would do it assuming Luka forces his way out):

Mavs Receive:

Keldon, Doug, Branham, Wesley, and Graham
2024 Toronto pick (top 6 protected)
2024 Charlotte pick (top 14 protected)
2025 Chicago pick (top 10 protected, then top 8)
2025 Spurs pick top 1 protected
2027 Spurs pick top 1 protected
2029 Spurs pick top 1 protected
2031 Spurs pick top 1 protected

Spurs Receive:

Luka
Tim Hardaway
Davis Bertans
Maxi Kleber

Mavs open up 60 million in cap space this summer and have Doug, Graham and Reggie Bullock fall off next year for another 35mm. Mavs rebuild with seven additional draft picks, Keldon (23yo and reasonable 4y74mm contract), Hardy, Green and Braham or Wesley if they are any good. Powell, Christian Wood, and Kyie are free agents.

Spurs assets:

Collins/Bassey
Wemby or Miller/Maxi/Bertans
Sochan/Hardaway
Devin/ MLE free agent?
Luka/ Resign Tre Jones

2023 1st (Wemby or Miler?)
2024 1st
2025 1st Unprotected Atlanta Pick
2026 1st (unprotected swap with Atlanta)
2027 1st Unprotected Atlanta Pick
2028 1st Boston (top 1 protected)
2028 1st
2029 - none
2030 - 1st
2031 - none

Plus a ****ton of second round picks.
AggieEP
I mean... the Pelicans can ask for an AD package, but as mentioned with the availability issues and the contract commitment, it's possible they could jump on a way out from under that contract for the right pieces.

Talent wise he would deserve an AD package for sure, but in this case extenuating circumstances have to at least make the Pelicans consider listening. My pretend package is probably too low, but I don't think it's as low as you all are making it out to be. Other than Boston grabbing the #3 and #1 pick out of the KG, Paul Pierce trade, these way down the line draft picks haven't ended up as top 3 picks. Partially that's because of protections, but even unprotected ones haven't really conveyed that high or netted stars for teams. The odds of those Atlanta picks being a top 3 pick are pretty small, especially because Atlanta won't have any reason to tank in the years we have their picks, so trade those if you have to.

I'm sure it's clear by now, but my opinion is that you explore all opportunities to add talent in the form of actual real life players. The draft capital is great, but the chances of the Spurs getting a high pick from them, and then hitting on a top player is pretty low. Even this year with our own pick, if we end up at 4 or 5... we're taking a project player with no guarantees.

Zion is greater than 3 picks in the 4-8 range in my opinion.

In fact, if you look at what the Pelicans got in draft capital from the AD trade, they wasted the #4 pick in the 19 draft by trading it (passing up a chance for Darius Garland) and came away with Jaxon Hayes 8th and Nickeil Alexander mid 1st (not on their team anymore). The 2021 1st round pick didn't convey and converted to the next year and became the 8th pick, they drafted Dyson Daniels and he's done nothing this year to suggest he's a future star. This year they can pick swap with the Lakers, but they are both in about the same spot draft wise, so again zero value there. That leaves 1 pick left in this package, an unprotected 2024 pick that can be deferred to 2025, I'd say the chances are that it's a mid 1st rounder again and no guarantee of anything of significance.

Now, of course, swapping Brandon Ingram for AD has worked out alright for them, but the draft picks in particular have not. So long term, the trade became Brandon Ingram for AD, and some of the other pieces helped them get CJ McCollum. Not exactly the bonanza that it looked like initially.

TLDR version, the Spurs have 6 draft picks that belong to other teams, they should listen on all of those for the right player.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

I mean... the Pelicans can ask for an AD package, but as mentioned with the availability issues and the contract commitment, it's possible they could jump on a way out from under that contract for the right pieces.
I dont' think they are ready to get out from it now. Their core of Jonas, CJ, Trey, Ingram is above .500 so adding a legit superstar if Zion has a healthy season and they are a legit contender. I think they still need a real point, but that's not something they want to break up.

Quote:

Talent wise he would deserve an AD package for sure, but in this case extenuating circumstances have to at least make the Pelicans consider listening. My pretend package is probably too low, but I don't think it's as low as you all are making it out to be.
Collins+Keldon doesn't fill any needs. Trey Murphy is a better shooter than Keldon, plus younger and cheaper. Jonas is older, but more reliable and healthier than Collins. It creates more of a log jam. If we were giving a solid PF and PG plus picks, maybe they think different.

Quote:

Other than Boston grabbing the #3 and #1 pick out of the KG, Paul Pierce trade, these way down the line draft picks haven't ended up as top 3 picks. Partially that's because of protections, but even unprotected ones haven't really conveyed that high or netted stars for teams.
That Boston trade is better than we remember, and I think that because of that is why it is harder to get protectionless trades and it makes the Atl picks more valuable in theory.

2014 #17 pick (they took James Young over Jokic, Capela, Bogdan, Jeremi Grant, Dinwiddie, Joe Harris and Jordan Clarkson)
2016 #3: Jaylen Brown
2017 #1: Fultz, traded for #3 (Tatum) and a future first (Spurs legend Romeo Lankford)
2018 #8: Collin Sexton (traded with Thomas and Jae Crowder to get Kyrie, could have drafted SGA or one of the Bridges)

Boston received two cornerstones, but ended up with 5 firsts and traded away some of the players they got for a handful of seconds. Could have legitimately gotten 4 franchise cornerstone players.

Quote:

Partially that's because of protections, but even unprotected ones haven't really conveyed that high or netted stars for teams. The odds of those Atlanta picks being a top 3 pick are pretty small, especially because Atlanta won't have any reason to tank in the years we have their picks, so trade those if you have to.
Brooklyn didnt have any reason to tank, either. But both teams are super faulty. DJ seems like more of a headache after he talks every day. Trae sucks on defense. ATL has 8 guys averaging 10+ ppg plus Trae and DJ are 20+ and they are still struggling to hold onto .500 and an 8th seed in a year where they have been really healthy. Without making a single move next year, ATL is about $9mm over the luxury tax. That's why ATL traded starting player Kevin Hueter for nothing and backup center Jock Landale for cash. I think it is very likely that the ATL picks will end up in the lottery. I also think it is likely that the Spurs picks will be worse than the ATL picks in those same years.

Quote:

I'm sure it's clear by now, but my opinion is that you explore all opportunities to add talent in the form of actual real life players. The draft capital is great, but the chances of the Spurs getting a high pick from them, and then hitting on a top player is pretty low. Even this year with our own pick, if we end up at 4 or 5... we're taking a project player with no guarantees.
100%. We have like 15 first rounders and I would absolutely trade multiple of them for legit stars. I think it is the smart way to play it. Lots of people think that Miller should be the #2 pick, but he also may end up being Keith Van Horn or worse. Wemby may be Ralph Sampson. There are no guarantees and I would rather move assets for known quantities.

Quote:

In fact, if you look at what the Pelicans got in draft capital from the AD trade, they wasted the #4 pick in the 19 draft by trading it (passing up a chance for Darius Garland) and came away with Jaxon Hayes 8th and Nickeil Alexander mid 1st (not on their team anymore). The 2021 1st round pick didn't convey and converted to the next year and became the 8th pick, they drafted Dyson Daniels and he's done nothing this year to suggest he's a future star. This year they can pick swap with the Lakers, but they are both in about the same spot draft wise, so again zero value there. That leaves 1 pick left in this package, an unprotected 2024 pick that can be deferred to 2025, I'd say the chances are that it's a mid 1st rounder again and no guarantee of anything of significance.
No qustion NOLA has screwed up a lot of that.

2019 #4, drafted DeAndre Hunter over Darius Garland, got #17 and #8, plus a future first that didn't convey, but turned into the second they used on Herbert Jones, who is a decent player and starter for them. #17 (NAW) and Josh Hart were flipped for CJ McCollum

Brandon Ingram is a stud.
Josh Hart and #4 was flipped for Jaxson Hayes, Herbert Jones, and CJ McCollum and possibly another pick. (Hayes was a bust and could have been someone like Camron Johnson, Keldon, or Luka Saminic.)
Dyson Daniels (#8 last year) - Dyson is still just 20 and a rookie, but you are right, he doesn't seem great so far. Several guys taken after him look better, but he is still 20 and foreign.

Not the haul of the Celtics, but not that bad. Would be a lot better if they didnt' squander it, but if we had traded Kawhi for Brandon Ingram, Herbert Jones, CJ McCollum, 2019 #8, and 2022 #8, I think we would have been thrilled.

Look at OKC for Paul George:

SGA
Danilo (traded for seconds)
2021 1st (#18 - Tre Mann - so far, ok)
2022 1st (#12 - Jalen Williams - looks like a great pick)
Two more swaps, 3 more first round picks

Quote:

TLDR version, the Spurs have 6 draft picks that belong to other teams, they should listen on all of those for the right player.
100%. The problem is finding the unhappy star that can't wait to play with Sochan and Vassell. PG13 wanted to play with Kawhi. AD wanted to play with Caruso. Harden wanted to play with Durant. Durant wanted to go get hurt somewhere else.
LawHall88
AG
West Texan
AG
We're gonna have to out tank the mavs that last game.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Looking forward to seeing Pop out there taking Mark Cuban on 1-on-1.
AggieEP
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

100%. The problem is finding the unhappy star that can't wait to play with Sochan and Vassell. PG13 wanted to play with Kawhi. AD wanted to play with Caruso. Harden wanted to play with Durant. Durant wanted to go get hurt somewhere else.

In the Spurs case, they obviously don't have a player a star would want to play with right now, so I think it's more of finding someone who is available for the right price and who is under contract so the Spurs don't have to worry about them walking.

That's why Zion makes sense for me, he doesn't have much leverage not to play for the Spurs because that would tank his value for his next big contract.

Outside of Zion, there just aren't likely to be a lot of young superstar level guys available (this is assuming that Zion would even be available) so again, I say you kick the tires early and often and see what their NO is feeling.

I can agree that Keldon and Collins might not be the pieces they'd want, but maybe there is a 3 team trade that does bring the right player. All I'm saying is that the Spurs are going no where until they find a way to infuse some serious talent into the roster, right now all they have is a few nice pieces, but no one player on the Spurs roster is the kind of guy that could dominate day in and day out.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Zion and his injuries ain't getting better unless he drops another 50 lbs
Hard pass
Guitarsoup
AG
Some say that San Antonio should update the Alamodome.

I say Vinny Del Negro and Samaki Walker are just as relevant now as they ever were.

Guitarsoup
AG
AggieEP said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In the Spurs case, they obviously don't have a player a star would want to play with right now, so I think it's more of finding someone who is available for the right price and who is under contract so the Spurs don't have to worry about them walking.

That's why Zion makes sense for me, he doesn't have much leverage not to play for the Spurs because that would tank his value for his next big contract.

Outside of Zion, there just aren't likely to be a lot of young superstar level guys available (this is assuming that Zion would even be available) so again, I say you kick the tires early and often and see what their NO is feeling.

I can agree that Keldon and Collins might not be the pieces they'd want, but maybe there is a 3 team trade that does bring the right player. All I'm saying is that the Spurs are going no where until they find a way to infuse some serious talent into the roster, right now all they have is a few nice pieces, but no one player on the Spurs roster is the kind of guy that could dominate day in and day out.

If Spurs end up with Scoot or Amen, or Black, then Zion makes a lot of sense for our needs. But I don't think NOLA has him available at this point without a major meltdown from him. If we could get him for Keldon and a few picks, sure, I do that and hope a better culture will convince him to not eat tamales every night.
TexAg1822
AG
I think Zion is a great player like everyone else but how are y'all getting past the hesitation of his injury history and think that his injuries will suddenly subside if we traded for him?

I just don't get selling the farm for him when he has always been so limited? Seems like a no go imo and not worth the risk. Like that could set us back even more
Guitarsoup
AG
TexAg1822 said:

I think Zion is a great player like everyone else but how are y'all getting past the hesitation of his injury history and think that his injuries will suddenly subside if we traded for him?

I just don't get selling the farm for him when he has always been so limited? Seems like a no go imo and not worth the risk. Like that could set us back even more
I don't see trading one mid-range wing and three protected picks out of 15 or 16 possible picks as selling the farm. I think the lottery-protected Charlotte pick never converts and becomes a 2nd. The Raptors and Bulls are protected top6 and top 10/8. So we know that none of those picks will be elite picks.

It is a medium risk, high reward. Worst case scenario, we lose Keldon, a #15 pick, a #7 pick, and #11 pick. But more likely we lose Keldon, a second round pick, a #8-20 pick and a #12-22 pick and in exchange we get a player that would be All-NBA if healthy and fits in perfectly with the other pieces we already have. We need players with All-NBA talent, so if you can trade a decent wing and two mid-round firsts for an All-NBA talent that is just 22yo, then you do it.

It is a good enough deal for us that I think NOLA hangs up immediately on us.
aggiebird02
Zion is an all-star at getting injured.

Hard pass…
LawHall88
AG
West Texan said:

Rockets win!
Enzo The Baker
AG
LawHall88 said:

West Texan said:

Rockets win!

Rockets trying to get the lottery gods on their side. Spurs locked up a coin flip with them at least.
aggiebird02
Spurs are stomping' that ass early…
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Some say that San Antonio should update the Alamodome.

I say Vinny Del Negro and Samaki Walker are just as relevant now as they ever were.

Can we put them in the game today?!? Our start studded lineup is beating the pants off the mavs…
LawHall88
AG
Let's hope the coin falls our way.
LawHall88
AG
Spurs related because SloMo...
MookieBlaylock
AG
So was the punch like when Rocky and creed hit each other is slow motion at the same time
FTAG 2000
AG
Stop it. The spurs aren't trading a star rookie in a rookie deal for a chronically injured fat a-- that's owed 200 million.
Guitarsoup
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Stop it. The spurs aren't trading a star rookie in a rookie deal for a chronically injured fat a-- that's owed 200 million.

Keldon isn't a star and isn't on a rookie deal
AggieEP
Lol, Keldon is a nice NBA player, but I'd trade him in a heartbeat
West Texan
AG
The last couple of years have been futile (particularly this season), but still incredible how spoiled we've been as a franchise.

Guitarsoup
AG

#TeamSloMo
AggieEP
Maybe the Spurs can grab Rudy Gobert if he's worn out his wear in Minnesota, I'd be down for us to have les twin tours with Gobert and Wemby.
FTAG 2000
AG
AggieEP said:

Lol, Keldon is a nice NBA player, but I'd trade him in a heartbeat

That's what I get for trying to watch Bennett and read this at the same time, thought Soup was suggesting trading our lotto pick out for Zion.

Still wouldn't take that guy with his chronic injuries and ridiculous cap, but agreed that KJ would be tradable.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.