*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

130,886 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by West Texan
flashplayer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd still go after Reaves for 4y/$100M on day 1 just to screw the Lakers.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Unless the Lakers are playing a reverse uno
flashplayer
AG
Doesn't matter because they'll be screwed either way.
Guitarsoup
AG
Unless they don't match and we get hillbilly Duncan Robinson because we gave someone $100mm based on like 30 games
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
LawHall88 said:

First two games against Brandon Miller and Scoot. Gotta give the people what they want.
Guitarsoup
AG
Spurs considering Jakob at 4y80
Enzo The Baker
AG
Source?
Guitarsoup
AG
Canadian beat writers

Poeltl's return at the right deal has generally been considered a given with the working assumption that a four-year deal worth something around $80 million would do the trick but things can happen and there are few discounts offered in the NBA. Multiple league sources have said the San Antonio Spurs have inquired about the possibility of a reunion with Poeltl as a veteran centre alongside No. 1 pick Victor Wembanyama, who they project as a stretch four, at least on offence.

After several years of rebuilding in San Antonio, Poeltl made clear last season how much he enjoyed playing on a competitive team again. Are the Raptors his best option, or only one? With Wembanyama in the fold, the Spurs could make a jump. "Free agency can get a little crazy and unpredictable," as one source put it. "I don't think Poeltl's [deal] is as done as people think."
Sher Thing
AG
I'm sure the Spurs have had conversations about it but I still don't think the Spurs are looking to hand out any large contracts like that this summer. The fact that they know Jak though makes it a possibility.

Saying that, the Spurs are pretty much going to be linked to every free agent out there as they are one of only a handful of teams that have legitimate cap space.
Enzo The Baker
AG
SI reported that Poeltl is likely to re-sign with Toronto. Either way, it would be a gamble for him between the two options.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

SI reported that Poeltl is likely to re-sign with Toronto. Either way, it would be a gamble for him between the two options.

He's said he wants to play for a winner. I think FVV goes to Houston. Supposedly 2y80mm.

So who's the winner first:
Scottie Barnes, Gradey Dick, Gary Trent, maybe Pascal, maybe OG
Wemby, Sochan, Collins, Keldon, Vassell
LawHall88
AG
Sher Thing
AG
I could see something like that. The Spurs are going to have to do something to reach the new salary floor. Taking on a big expiring contract like that is probably pretty ideal if they can also get some production/draft capital in return. Even if they re-sign Jones they will still probably be $10-$12mm under the floor. They could throw that at another FA but I don't think the Spurs want to enter into any long-term deals at the moment.
Ag Natural
AG
Sher Thing said:

I could see something like that. The Spurs are going to have to do something to reach the new salary floor. Taking on a big expiring contract like that is probably pretty ideal if they can also get some production/draft capital in return. Even if they re-sign Jones they will still probably be $10-$12mm under the floor. They could throw that at another FA but I don't think the Spurs want to enter into any long-term deals at the moment.

I do wonder how teams are going to deal with this new penalties for not hit the floor. In prior years you had to pony up the cash to make the floor and that money was distributed to everyone on the roster. Going forward I think its the same plus you are denied tax disbursements.

When I really think about it pretty unbelievable the players union signed off on this. It kinda hurts the players already signed. Instead, team will be motivated to give out dumb 1 year contracts to guys who may or may not be playing.
Guitarsoup
AG
LawHall88 said:

Fournier makes 18.9mm. You'd have to add some draft stuff for me to want to take him, even as a last year guy.

Also, the Knicks are at 156mm. Even dropping EF for nothing, they are still at the cap with no room to do anything other than MLE.

Their draft picks aren't that exciting, either:

2024:
Wizards (top 18 protected)
Knicks
Mavs (top 10 protected)

2025:
Milwaukee (top 4 protected)
Knicks

2026 - 2030:
Knicks 1st.

This doesn't make sense, unless the Spurs just really don't want to do anything. And rather than take him on for nothing, if the Spurs really want to hit the salary floor without doing anything, they can just offer CoJo or George Hill a 1y20mm contract and be done with it.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

I think the Spurs will enter a long-term deal if it is the right deal and right player. I think very few players make that list, but Jakob is one. They already know who he is and how he fits.

I've seen people saying the Spurs are gonna get FVV. I don't think we even make the call.

Simmons said we get Grant Williams for 4y40mm, but don't see that, either. I think Houston ends up with FVV and Grant Williams and Dallas gets Dillon Brooks.
Sher Thing
AG
Taking on Fournier and any of those picks is still better then signing someone washed up to a 1 yr/20M deal.

Unforunately, the Spurs may end up just overpaying guys like Jones to get to the floor but lets hope they are more creative than that.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sacramento paid to move Holmes because it opened up workable cap space.

Moving Fournier doesn't open up anything except not paying Fournier. They don't get cap space or anything.

MAYBE they do it if they have a full MLE guy on the hook, but there isn't much value there for the Knicks.
Ag Natural
AG
Sher Thing said:

Taking on Fournier and any of those picks is still better then signing someone washed up to a 1 yr/20M deal.

Unforunately, the Spurs may end up just overpaying guys like Jones to get to the floor but lets hope they are more creative than that.

The problem with Fournier is he sux. The French guys might respect him though and that could be awkward to see him riding the bench because he can't guard anyone.
Sher Thing
AG
Yeah I got that. Just saying that absorbing a large expiring contract if any kind of assets are attached is better then just overpaying our current free agents just to hit the floor.

Anyway, if I'm the Spurs I am calling Brook Lopez up on Friday and offering him a 2 year $50mm deal. I think he fits well and the Spurs should be eyeing the 2025 free agency summer to make a splash so it fits with the timeline. He could probably get at least a three year deal elsewhere though.
Guitarsoup
AG
Simmons and Russillo seemed to think the max offer on Lopez is 3y50mm, and that might be high. He played great last year, but is only one year out from major back surgery.
Guitarsoup
AG
Simmons also liked Grant Williams to us for 4y40mm. You let him grind the post with his strength, but on offense, he is a great 3pt threat. Use him as a small center with wemby at PF bc grant will guard the stronger guys inside and Wemby will be the help.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Vuc is signing a 3-year extension with Chicago. Good news for our 25 draft pick as it doesn't look like they are blowing it up just yet.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Simmons also liked Grant Williams to us for 4y40mm. You let him grind the post with his strength, but on offense, he is a great 3pt threat. Use him as a small center with wemby at PF bc grant will guard the stronger guys inside and Wemby will be the help.

I'd love to get Grant Williams. Improves our defense and 3 point shooting and won't be someone to demand the ball on the offensive end to take away from our younger guys that we need to see create. We could front load his contract so that we meet the floor, but still have a little more cap flexibility down the line/makes it easier to off load him if need be.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Vuc is signing a 3-year extension with Chicago. Good news for our 25 draft pick as it doesn't look like they are blowing it up just yet.
They have been saying they want like 4 picks for laVine.

I think Chicago blows it up in a year.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

4 picks for injury prone top 40 player on $40MM/yr with the new CBA. Chicago is on drugs.
Guitarsoup
AG
TPups just let Warren HS product Taurean Prince go. He's a free agent
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

4 picks for injury prone top 40 player on $40MM/yr with the new CBA. Chicago is on drugs.
Rather have him than Beal, but also rather have neither.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Also, Sunk Cost Fallacy.

Chicago Traded a ****load for him:
* Wendell Carter (15/10 guy the last two years as starting center)
* 2021 1st, 8th pick, Franz Wagner, 19/4 last year
* 2023 1st, 11th pick, Jett Howard

Cant let him go
Enzo The Baker
AG
Atlanta likely to fall victim to this as well with DJ.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

How's his defense? He had a reputation as a good defender coming out of Baylor and is a career 37% from 3. If he can defend at all, would be a solid rotational wing for us. Doesn't rebound very well though.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Fwiw

Ag Natural
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

I'd love to get Grant Williams. Improves our defense and 3 point shooting and won't be someone to demand the ball on the offensive end to take away from our younger guys that we need to see create. We could front load his contract so that we meet the floor, but still have a little more cap flexibility down the line/makes it easier to off load him if need be.

He makes sense on paper but I can't stand that guy. I think there's a reason Boston would let him walk.
FTAG 2000
AG
LawHall88 said:

Fournier is dog *****

Don't need a big brother when Tim Tony Manu are all around.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.