*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

130,863 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by West Texan
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Welp. There goes that.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sidy Sissko. Good enough for me.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
So he can't shoot, but he has a bigger body and wingspan than Keldon, loves playing tough defense, is a very good and creative passer and is from the land of Brie and Champagne.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I'll take it.
Guitarsoup
AG

Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Highlights + 20% of IGNITE merch? My 2nd round blues are all but gone.
Guitarsoup
AG
In that middle highlight, it was Sidy with the crazy pass, not Scoot. That's a Scoot dunk.
flashplayer
AG
It's like we're already back in the golden years with the Spurs drafting all foreigners.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

In that middle highlight, it was Sidy with the crazy pass, not Scoot. That's a Scoot dunk.

Gonna give Sochan a run for the money for starting PG spot.
Guitarsoup
AG
From KOC:

PLUSES
  • Energetic defender who locks in off the ball. He offers great rim protection and frequently picks up weakside blocks on unsuspecting players going up for layups. He had a play this season in which he blocked a lob in transition, fell down, got back up, and then swatted a layup attempt.
  • Competitive on-ball defender with the length and frame to become a versatile piece of a switching defense.
  • At his best slashing to the rim and driving with a full head of steam. He's an excellent finisher around the rim, even when contested. He can adjust midair if need be or yam it on a rim protector.
  • Can deliver wraparound passes to cutters or kickouts to shooters whether he's dribbling or in midair.
  • He's shooting well from 3 off the catch for the first time in his G League career, making 37.8 percent of his attempts this season.
  • He's more of a secondary creator than a primary; he isn't breaking down defenders with advanced moves. But on drives to the rim, he can mix in crossovers or spin moves to get into the paint.
MINUSES
  • Unproven shooter who has never shot a high percentage from the perimeter, despite having normal form. He's a below-average free throw shooter and lacks natural touch finishing around the basket.
  • Commits some careless turnovers driving into or whipping passes into crowds.
  • Cissoko got beaten off the dribble far too often early in the season. Though he's made progress throughout the year, he did have a tendency to get flat-footed that remains noteworthy moving forward.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

From KOC:

PLUSES
  • Energetic defender who locks in off the ball. He offers great rim protection and frequently picks up weakside blocks on unsuspecting players going up for layups. He had a play this season in which he blocked a lob in transition, fell down, got back up, and then swatted a layup attempt.
  • Competitive on-ball defender with the length and frame to become a versatile piece of a switching defense.
  • At his best slashing to the rim and driving with a full head of steam. He's an excellent finisher around the rim, even when contested. He can adjust midair if need be or yam it on a rim protector.
  • Can deliver wraparound passes to cutters or kickouts to shooters whether he's dribbling or in midair.
  • He's shooting well from 3 off the catch for the first time in his G League career, making 37.8 percent of his attempts this season.
  • He's more of a secondary creator than a primary; he isn't breaking down defenders with advanced moves. But on drives to the rim, he can mix in crossovers or spin moves to get into the paint.
MINUSES
  • Unproven shooter who has never shot a high percentage from the perimeter, despite having normal form. He's a below-average free throw shooter and lacks natural touch finishing around the basket.
  • Cissoko got beaten off the dribble far too often early in the season. Though he's made progress throughout the year, he did have a tendency to get flat-footed that remains noteworthy moving forward.

Those minuses seem like things he can improve on.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
When asked his biggest strength in a draft interview, Sidy said his biggest strength is his bball IQ. Man alive. We are back baby.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

From KOC:

PLUSES
MINUSES

Those minuses seem like things he can improve on.
38% on catch and shoot threes is solid.

Another stat: 3s from 23-24 feet away: 43%.

But he jacked a lot of 25-26' ones.

Also this:

And he was about 2:1 assist to turnover as a wing. That's solid.
Guitarsoup
AG
The Athletic NBA Draft analyst Sam Vecenie on Cissoko: Cissoko has many skills that translate toward him being a terrific role player. He's a sharp passer and processor of the game. He understands the game out of ball screens and can act as a secondary guy for your primary backcourt option. Defensively, he's tough and physical on the ball with real switchability, plus off the ball he's smart as a scrambler and help rotational wing. Those are all things NBA teams love to look for.

Ultimately, it's all about whether Cissoko can be any kind of scoring threat. I don't love him as an on-ball scorer and think he has a long way to go if he's ever going to reach a reasonable level there, which means the swing skill is his catch-and-shoot ability. Cissoko is on a positive trajectory after shooting about 24 percent on catch and-shoot 3s in Spain in 2021-22. But just because he's on a positive trajectory doesn't mean it's a positive. If Cissoko shoots, he'll be valuable as a rotational wing who has some starter upside. If he doesn't, he might be more of a part-time rotation guy in a couple of years.

flashplayer
AG
So we essentially got the French Kawhi at 44.
Guitarsoup
AG

Sir Jabroni
FTAG 2000
AG
Ugh. Was on a flight with only the draft stream. Was excited about our guy at 33. Landing and seeing we traded him for some future bubble gum wrappers is disappointing.
Enzo The Baker
AG
jteagle
AG
Quote:

San Antonio agreed to deals with two undrafted players: Sir'Jabari Rice, a guard from the University of Texas, and Charles Bediako, a center from the University of Alabama. Rice inked a two-way contract per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. He will fill the first of San Antonio's three two-way three slots and will only be able to play 50 games with the big league squad. Bediako signed on as a training camp invite according to ESPN's Jonathan Givony.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Yeah, I don't buy it. Boston traded 25 for 31 and two future seconds.

Sacramento traded #24 and Holmes for nothing.

Denver sent out a highly protected 2029 1st for #29 and 37.
jteagle
AG
My guess is, they weren't able to get high enough for a player they really wanted so they decided to let it ride. I'm OK with that. With all the future picks they have they can afford to be patient and picky. All of the PGs that they had targeted were gone by 17. Why trade up and give up assets for someone you really don't want?

Now we will see who they are able to pick up in free agency.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I agree. I bet they were trying to trade into the lottery (possibly top 10) and the asking price was just too high.

Bring on free agency in one week.
Sher Thing
AG
Yeah, I think the Spurs had a handful of guys they were interested in trading up for but they were off the board by 17. I figured they would trade one of 33 or 44 but I guess they figured getting two second rounders for 33 was the best option. It seems to work out as Cissoko is just as good a prospect as anyone else that went in the second tbh.

As far as stockpiling even more second rounders.. at the end of the day they are assets. They don't necessarily get less valuable because you have a lot of them.

Anyhow, on to free agency.
Guitarsoup
AG
Spurs have 11 guys on guaranteed contracts:
  • PF/Stretch: Wemby, Sochan, McDermott
  • Wing: Keldon, Vassell, Branham
  • Point: Graham, Wesley
With Primo's dead value, they have about 96mm in salaries and they have a salary floor of ~122mm.

So the Spurs have two two-ways and two roster spots to fill up at least $26mm in cap space. They picked Sidy Cissoko with 44, so that tiny salary will be one spot at ~1mm.

Now they have to spend ~25mm on the one last roster spot. If they used that 33rd pick and the 44th pick, they are at 13 players and still need to spend another 25mm to reach the floor.

Sher Thing
AG
Tre Jones will almost undoubtedly be re-signed.

I assume they waive Birch as well.

Well see if Cissoko agrees to a two-way deal... I'm assuming yes.
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Yeah, I don't buy it. Boston traded 25 for 31 and two future seconds.

Sacramento traded #24 and Holmes for nothing.

Denver sent out a highly protected 2029 1st for #29 and 37.

Agreed. This was the quintessential 'we tried to move up but.l couldn't make it happen' front office speak.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Wright Post Draft

Pop Post Vic Selection
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

Tre Jones will almost undoubtedly be re-signed.

I assume they waive Birch as well.

Well see if Cissoko agrees to a two-way deal... I'm assuming yes.
I agree Tre gets resigned. I hope not more than 10/year.

I think we are just holding birch as a trade piece, because he probably qualifies as a medical exception and another team may want that.

I think Sidy gets a contract, not two-way.

Still leaves us 15mm from the floor and 28mm from the cap.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Was listening to hoop collective and they mentioned Monte Morris being a good fit for the spurs on an expiring. Would be a low turnover kind of guy that could run our offense. I don't hate the idea.

I almost would rather see what we can do at Sochan at point tbh. We could be a huge team.
Guitarsoup
AG
Would almost rather have Monte over Tre, but both are just backups.

I still want us to get Bruce Brown. He's a winner, can run the point, play wing, and plays hard ass defense on multiple positions. No problem giving him 4y50 or 4y60.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I'd be good on that for BB. Not as a true point to run our offense but a great glue/utility guy with championship experience that would be valuable for this group.
Ag Natural
AG
Tre is a far superior defender to Monte Morris.
AggieEP
Overall, hard to say it wasn't a great draft because the Spurs get Wemby, but I spent so long hoping for some bold moves, that draft night ended up feeling flat because the Spurs traded away 33 for basically nothing.

I get the whole roster spots issue, but that also makes the argument that packaging 44 and 33 plus something else to move up to the 20s would have been smart. I think Nick Smith Jr is going to be a star although his character is questionable, but once he was available I was really hoping the Spurs would grab him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.