*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

118,025 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by West Texan
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wemby needs a jump hook in a bad way.
Guitarsoup
AG

Would love him at 33 if he's there
Enzo The Baker
AG
I'm excited to see our second round picks this year. There could be some great value at 33.
Guitarsoup
AG
I wouldn't mind moving future seconds for extras this year
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I wouldn't mind moving future seconds for extras this year

Agreed. And we have plenty of them.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Reports that DJ could already be on the block. If you include us drafting Wemby, that might be the best trade in the NBA since the Kawhi trade, including the Gobert trade.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Who is DJ?
Enzo The Baker
AG
Murray
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Reports that DJ could already be on the block. If you include us drafting Wemby, that might be the best trade in the NBA since the Kawhi trade, including the Gobert trade.

Atlanta is screwed. They needed this to work and needed a big combo to cover for Trae being the worst defensive player in the nba.

But everything else just doesn't work on that team and they have major cap issues
jteagle
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Atlanta is screwed. They needed this to work and needed a big combo to cover for Trae being the worst defensive player in the nba.

But everything else just doesn't work on that team and they have major cap issues
So the Spurs can make the playoffs and still have lottery draft picks in 25, 26 and 27. A guy can dream.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yup. Even that pick swap is juicy.
Guitarsoup
AG
Spurs gonna 3-peat and win the lottery each year
West Texan
AG

FTAG 2000
AG
Should we count it down?

THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Their shorts are exactly the same length as the current era's shorts
Enzo The Baker
AG
I will be astonished if someone trades for Bradley Beal. And even more so if they give up multiple valuable assets to do so. $50 million/yr for 4 more years is outrageous.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I will be astonished if someone trades for Bradley Beal. And even more so if they give up multiple valuable assets to do so. $50 million/yr for 4 more years is outrageous.
I think straight up Beal for Tobias and a first would let Washington get out of the contract, get an ending deal and let them rebuild. Beal ain't it.

But Beal/Maxey/Embiid might be better than Philly was this year.

Only Philly will be screwed by tax problems forever.
AggieEP
Enzo The Baker said:

Me too, Beal's just never really been that great, definitely not a put you over the top kind of talent. If someone trades for him, I think it's more am exchange of contracts type deal than anything else.

Also, the NBA needs to look at how they structure contracts, if you're going to what is basically a hard cap, they need to cap player salary at 40 million per year too. I don't blame the players for taking the money that is there, but when one guy can get paid 60 million a year, deserving or not, it makes building a team and staying under the cap pretty hard.
Enzo The Baker
AG
AggieEP said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Me too, Beal's just never really been that great, definitely not a put you over the top kind of talent. If someone trades for him, I think it's more am exchange of contracts type deal than anything else.

Also, the NBA needs to look at how they structure contracts, if you're going to what is basically a hard cap, they need to cap player salary at 40 million per year too. I don't blame the players for taking the money that is there, but when one guy can get paid 60 million a year, deserving or not, it makes building a team and staying under the cap pretty hard.

There's no way Bradley Beal gets that deal with the new CBA. It should make teams think twice about the super max on a player that isn't a top 15 player in the league.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

AggieEP said:

Enzo The Baker said:

There's no way Bradley Beal gets that deal with the new CBA. It should make teams think twice about the super max on a player that isn't a top 15 player in the league.

The beal and dame contacts are so bad, I wouldn't want either player for a protected second rounder.

Dame is 33 and has 4y left, making $63mm when he's 37. Hard pass
Enzo The Baker
AG
jteagle
AG
2024 NBA Draft Picks
  • Spurs First-Round Pick
  • Hornets First-Round Pick (Lottery Protected)
  • Raptors First-Round Pick (Top-Six Protected)
  • Lakers Second-Round Pick
  • Pelicans Second-Round Pick

So we need the Hornets to make the playoffs this year and the Raptors to not make the playoffs (of course #7 would be best case). I would like for the Spurs to show improvement and be more competitive for the season but I wouldn't be truly upset if they didn't make the playoffs. If that happens they would have 2 lottery picks and an additional first rounder. They could do alot with that.
Guitarsoup
AG
jteagle said:

2024 NBA Draft Picks
  • Spurs First-Round Pick
  • Hornets First-Round Pick (Lottery Protected)
  • Raptors First-Round Pick (Top-Six Protected)
  • Lakers Second-Round Pick
  • Pelicans Second-Round Pick

So we need the Hornets to make the playoffs this year and the Raptors to not make the playoffs (of course #7 would be best case). I would like for the Spurs to show improvement and be more competitive for the season but I wouldn't be truly upset if they didn't make the playoffs. If that happens they would have 2 lottery picks and an additional first rounder. They could do alot with that.

It wouldn't surprise me if more than one of those five picks gets traded before then
Enzo The Baker
AG
To be honest, if just Toronto pick conveys next year I will be happy. We still don't know what their roster is going to look like next year. By most accounts, Van Vleet is gone. And OG and Pascal have been involved in trade talks in the recent past. If they choose to rebuild, which isn't out of the question with their new HC, and build just around Barnes, it's very possible that pick doesn't convey for us.

I would prefer to move those assets to get into the first again this year if we can. Reports say we have our eyes on Black and Bufkin but you never know.
Guitarsoup
AG
If Toronto finished worst or 2nd worst they are guaranteed the pick.
Chances it moves to us:

3rd worst = 7%
4th: 20%
5th: 36%
6th: 54%

Enzo The Baker
AG
What is more valuable, our 2025 1st or Atlanta's? I think if we want to break into the lottery, we are going to have to add one of those at least.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

What is more valuable, our 2025 1st or Atlanta's? I think if we want to break into the lottery, we are going to have to add one of those at least.

Atlanta's firsts are way more valuable than our own. They are a train wreck and have overpaid a ton of players so now with the new roles they have to cut salary hard
Enzo The Baker
AG
True. And we can always add protections on ours. It's a strange draft. Some consider it deep. But then you have reports today of Dallas and GSW looking to move back or out of the 1st entirely.
Enzo The Baker
AG
If Whitehead is available at 33 is it worth the dice roll?
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

If Whitehead is available at 33 is it worth the dice roll?

Whitehead, Andre Jackson, Sasser, Nnaji, Kris Murray -there are a ton of great options that will probably be around at 33.
FTAG 2000
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Mets 92 just lost. Wemby can rest and focus on next week now. 22 points 7 Rebs 4 blocks on 9/9 FTs in a tight one for the big guy on an overachieving team.
Guitarsoup
AG
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4397224

This rim protector just worked out for us.
Guitarsoup
AG
Celtics looking to trade at least one of Marcus Smart, Brogdon, White, Prichard.

https://hoopshype.com/2023/06/15/celtics-looking-into-trading-a-guard-marcus-smart-malcolm-brogdon-derrick-white-or-payton-pritchard-this-summer/

White would be a pretty solid PG for us with this team. Just hit some 3s, play defense, and set up the big fella.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.