***Official 2021-2022 San Antonio Spurs Season Thread***

87,529 Views | 1335 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MookieBlaylock
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag Natural
AG
Ho hum road trip. No we get GSW and Phoenix. I guess we get to find out if we're contenders
Enzo The Baker
AG
At least we get GSW on a B2B. Speaking of which, it feels like we've barely had any B2Bs this season.
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

At least we get GSW on a B2B. Speaking of which, it feels like we've barely had any B2Bs this season.
We had on the first week of the season and we have one coming up on Mon and Tuesday. At Phoenix and at home against the Knicks.
jteagle
AG
Ag Natural said:

Ho hum road trip. No we get GSW and Phoenix. I guess we get to find out if we're contenders
Next 5 games are GS, Suns, Knicks and then 2 against the Nuggets. The Nuggets aren't playing well right now but they always play tough against us.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Pop back on track for the wins record.

Spurs back on track for a 13th pick.
West Texan
AG
4 in a row
Ag Natural
AG
GSW no doubt thought this was a walkover game. But the spurs play hard and have some pieces that fit together nicely.

Crazy thing is I think Vassell is a top 3 player on this team and he's been out.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Spurs really played some good defense tonight. That's what carried them through this game, making up for the lackluster 4th quarter shooting (even though we were getting good looks).

I'm amazed at how steady Murray has been this year. He's not the turnover prone pg down the stretch like he used to be.
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Spurs really played some good defense tonight. That's what carried them through this game, making up for the lackluster 4th quarter shooting (even though we were getting good looks).

I'm amazed at how steady Murray has been this year. He's not the turnover prone pg down the stretch like he used to be.
I agree! Murray has really stepped up his game. And Lonnie is so good when he is on. Problem is, he has one good night and then takes 5 nights off it seems.
Enzo The Baker
AG
No Book tomorrow.
Enzo The Baker
AG
5 games in 7 nights this week.
Ag Natural
AG
This team is salty as hell.
Sports-Ag
AG
Came up short but nice to see them fight back and have a chance in the fourth. Just too much Paul. Still waiting for someone to be the consistent scorer. Been stretches where no one could make a shot or step up consistently. 2-1 on that road trip was not bad at all. Almost went 3-0.

A lot of games coming up for them.
jteagle
AG
We need Devin back soon. The bench got torched last night and got Phoenix back in the game. We really need another big man to come off the bench too. Thad is good but but he just wasn't physical enough to handle McGee inside.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Primo with 3 steals and 4 blocks as an 18 year old playing in the NBA. That's unreal.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Primo with 3 steals and 4 blocks as an 18 year old playing in the NBA. That's unreal.

The next Kobe Bryant

Hopefully without the rape allegations
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I'm excited to see what happens with him going forward.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ag Natural
AG
The Knicks are 15 for 30 from three after 3 quarters.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Walker shooting a career low 29% from 3. Also shooting 38% from the field (lowest since rookie year which doesn't really count.)

This is his 4th year. What is this guy supposed to be good at again?
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Walker shooting a career low 29% from 3. Also shooting 38% from the field (lowest since rookie year which doesn't really count.)

This is his 4th year. What is this guy supposed to be good at again?
It's a shame too because I feel like he has the tools and skills to be a superstar. I've never seen a player like him in a Spurs uniform. I just don't see the focus or basketball IQ. Huge potential but so inconsistent.
Enzo The Baker
AG
It's always going to be a head thing with him. Unfortunately, I don't seem him as a long term player in this league. He will never have that consistency to keep himself in the NBA. His athleticism can only carry him so far. I do think he can carve out a nice career in China or Spain though. He's just a level below the NBA.

I feel bad for him because he is a good kid, but it's time to give his mins to Devin/Primo/Jones. Those guys are just too good defensively to warrant any playing time for Walker, particularly when he can't shoot.
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

It's always going to be a head thing with him. Unfortunately, I don't seem him as a long term player in this league. He will never have that consistency to keep himself in the NBA. His athleticism can only carry him so far. I do think he can carve out a nice career in China or Spain though. He's just a level below the NBA.

I feel bad for him because he is a good kid, but it's time to give his mins to Devin/Primo/Jones. Those guys are just too good defensively to warrant any playing time for Walker, particularly when he can't shoot.
ha ha, this is a ridiculous take. He'll have a 10 year career coming off the bench. Maybe he'll end up a journeyman but teams will always be intrigued by his upside. He's had flash games where he's gone off.

I agree that this may be the end of the line in SA. He just hasn't shown a fluidity to his game. I think he gives good effort but he's wildly inconsistent. Off the bench in a spark role is probably his best fit. What we don't know is what other teams think of him and more importantly what he thinks of himself. He could stick in SA if he's willing to play for <$5 million/year.
Enzo The Baker
AG
My take on Luka was considered ridiculous too. That guy was weak mentally, and it's clear as day Lonnie is as well. The only difference is Lonnie isn't a ***** and tries.

I don't think Lonnie lasts another 5 years in this league. I think it's likely he will have a career closer to James White than a journey man spark plug. Lonnie's shooting percentages and mental lapses will push him out of this league.
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

My take on Luka was considered ridiculous too. That guy was weak mentally, and it's clear as day Lonnie is as well. The only difference is Lonnie isn't a ***** and tries.

I don't think Lonnie lasts another 5 years in this league. I think it's likely he will have a career closer to James White than a journey man spark plug. Lonnie's shooting percentages and mental lapses will push him out of this league.
Well the difference is Walker has actually had impactful performances. He's overall % might not be great but he's had streaky success. His 25pts against the Warriors the other night is a case in point. James White never had a moment like that. A better comparison might be Jonathan Simmons. Similar skillset but I think Walker has a better head on his shoulders and a far better attitude.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yea. Simmons is a better comp.

Edit: Although Simmons was a better defender (at least when he was with SA).
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Speaking of Luka...
Quote:

Pop says Samanic's future bright in N.Y.

Luka Samanic was a topic of conversation at Popovich's session with reporters before Tuesday's game after the former Spur was named G League Player of the Week.

Samanic, who signed with the Knicks after the Spurs waived him in October before the start of the season, received the honor after averaging 30.0 points, 12.3 rebounds and 3.0 assists to lead the Westchester Knicks to a 2-1 mark.

"He's got a lot of talent," Popovich said. "He's done a good job. At this point, the sky is the limit for him if he just sticks with it and does the things he has to to improve defensively and being consistent with things. He's a good kid. He's got a lot of talent, so the future is bright for him."

The Spurs selected Samanic with the 19th overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, but the lanky 6-foot-11 Croatian forward never showed enough on the court for them to make a long-term commitment to him.
Samanic, 21, had two years left on his rookie contract when the Spurs sent him packing. The club was just weeks away from a deadline to pick up his option for the 2022-23 season when it let him go.

In his two seasons with the Spurs, Samanic averaged 3.8 points and 2.2 rebounds in 9.9 minutes over 36 games. He also appeared in 39 games for the Austin Spurs in the G League, averaging 16.2 points, 8.3 rebounds and 1.5 assists in 29.1 minutes.

"He's a good, young prospect," New York coach Tom Thibodeau said. "He has to keep working."
https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Popovich-outlines-G-League-plan-for-Spurs-rookie-16686376.php?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow
LawHall88
AG
Fabricio Oberto even sounds handsome.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Ridiculous
Way too early to judge LW4
Sports-Ag
AG
Spurs win!
jteagle
AG
Sports-Ag said:

Spurs win!
74 points in the first half!
Ag Natural
AG
21 for Lonnie tonight. He is really going to kill it in China
Enzo The Baker
AG
The next Jimmer.
jteagle
AG
Timmy is trending on Twitter because of this!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.