***Official 2021-2022 San Antonio Spurs Season Thread***

87,517 Views | 1335 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MookieBlaylock
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also, as we already knew, the Rockets hate Freedom.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Pop will take him.
MGS
Guitarsoup said:

Also, as we already knew, the Rockets hate Freedom.
Don't want to piss off the Chinese again.
FTAG 2000
AG
Like the Celtics trade for SA.

Especially the '28 pick swap option.

I liked White but let's be honest - he's 28 and can't stay on the floor.

We just set ourselves up to have another 7.5 million or so this summer, and got more first round draft picks that we can use to move up / around this draft.
superunknown
AG
Woj reporting Raptors gonna waive Drewbanks.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Bring the SOB back.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Best part about the deadline:

Lakers couldn't make jack**** happen.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Bring the SOB back.
Cant. at least not during the season. i believe NBA rules prohibit traded then bought out players from returning to their original team. i remember reading something about thad young potentially being bought out but not being able to return to Chicago
jteagle
AG

Am reading that scouts think this is a really deep draft so it's a really nice option to have the 3 firsts.

FTAG 2000
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Best part about the deadline:

Lakers couldn't make jack**** happen.
Saw their GM was at Disneyland today.

Supposedly.

Enzo The Baker
AG
Lol I really want this to be true. He knows his job is done. Doesn't matter.

This is what happens when you get into bed with LeBron.
Sher Thing
AG
Good job by Brian Wright today. 3 years of nothing and then the Spurs went crazy today. Spurs will have a very strong presence in this years draft with three likely top 20 picks including one hopefully in the top 5.
jteagle
AG
Really is kinda funny!

mccjames
AG
So spurs setting the stage for rebuilding, do you think PoP is the one to lead 3 year rebuilding effort.
Easy come, Easy go
Enzo The Baker
AG
I think (hope) this is Pop's last year. It really doesn't make sense for him to coach this team at the start of our full-on rebuild.
Guitarsoup
AG
Kawhi trade revisited:

Jakob Poetl (starting center, 13p/9r/2.7a/1.7b)
2019 1st round pick: Keldon Johnson, starting SF. 15p, 6r, .466/.427/.711 shooting

DeMar DeRozan (three seasons)
Thaddeus Young

2022 1st Round Draft Pick (Raptors)
2022 2nd Round Pick (Lakers)
2022 2nd Round Pick (Best of Bulls or Pistons)
2025 1st Round Draft Pick (Chicago)
2025 2nd Round Pick (Chicago)

Could have been a lot worse.
Tobias Funke
AG
DJ with a casual 32, 15, and 10 tonight as the spurs boat race a team they were 10 point dogs to.
jteagle
AG
Keldon, DJ and Devin combined for78 points in the starting lineup. Primo played 28 minutes and scored 13.

First game without Derrick went pretty well.
jteagle
AG
Tobias Funke said:

DJ with a casual 32, 15, and 10 tonight as the spurs boat race a team they were 10 point dogs to.
LawHall88
AG

LawHall88
AG
jteagle said:

Tobias Funke said:

Ag Natural
AG
Damn. Derrick played 28 minutes for Boston a day after the day. Had a nice game in a win.
jteagle
AG
Ag Natural said:

Damn. Derrick played 28 minutes for Boston a day after the day. Had a nice game in a win.
I hate to lose him but I think he is a good fit there and I think he's going to do well.
Ulrich
100% three point shooter. Time to get him a few more looks.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Great showing by our guys last night. Shows what good 3 point shooting can do.

As much as I love Derrick, this team needs size and shooting at the wing. He was a good playmaker in that he always made the right play, but he wasn't someone who was ever going to be a break-down the defense kind of playmaker. I think Primo can be that, and if Vassell can improve his handle I think he can get there (Middleton ceiling).

I want to see the Spurs do well but I also want to get a good pick. Break Pop's record, then take it easy. Root for the Raptors to win as much as they can as BK will surely be coming on and hope the Celtics lose as much as they can.
Guitarsoup
AG
2022-23 Salaries

Dejounte 16.6mm
Dougie 13.75mm
JRich 12.2mm
Poeltl 9.4mm
Collins 7.4mm (half guaranteed)
Langford 5.6mm
Vassell 4.4mm
Primo 4.1mm
Keldon 3.8mm
Bates-Diop (unguaranteed 1.9mm)
Tre Jones (unguaranteed 1.8mm)
Jock Landale (unguaranateed 1.6mm)
1st round #7 pick: 4.8mm
1st round #19 pick 2.4mm
1st round #20 pick 2.3mm

So keep Tre Jones, Zach Collins, and Jock, waive Bates-Diop, and keep all picks how they are.
14 roster spots filled out of 15.
$82.9mm
Cap 121mm
38.9mm in space

2022-2023 is the last year of Josh Richardson's contract at 12.2mm.
2022-2023 is the last year of Romeo's rookie contract at $5.6mm. He can be a RFA in 2023.

Free Agents:
Lonnie Walker IV
Goran Dragic (if we don't buy him out now)
Tomas Satorinsky

The negative is 2022 is a pretty ****ty FA Class.

29yo Bradley Beal (shooting 30% from three this year and has been hurt a lot)
27yo Zach LaVine - Probably best option.
24yo DeAndre Ayton - Not sure he's a max player. But a very good center - IF we didn't have Jakob. RFA
24yo Miles Bridges - seems a lot like Keldon. 19/7 this year, but worse 3pt shooting.
30yo Kyrie Irving - doesn't seem like a Pop kind of guy. I bet he opts into his last year, but who knows, because he's dumb AF
23yo Collin Sexton - we can afford an undersized SG next to DeJounte, but do we want an undersized SG coming off knee surgery?
30yo Jonas Valanciunas - has some range shooting and is putting up 18/12 this year. But way worse than Poeltl defensively.
33yo Russell Westbrook - want Pop to retire? This is how.
28yo TJ Warren. Missed this season with broken foot/surgery, 4 games last season. Zach Collin-type deal?
23yo Marvin Bagley - we are really scraping here. RFA
28yo Jusuf Nurkic - Again, we have Poeltl.
32yo RoCo - seems like the type of guy that takes an exception deal with a contender to be backup D&3.
32yo Ricky Rubio - would love him as backup PG, if he can come back from blowing out his knee. Maybe cheap 1y deal.
27yo Bobby Portis - would love him at PF next to Poeltl. 16/9 in 28mpg on 49%/42%/77% shooting. Hard to see him leaving Milwaukee.
28yo Dennis Schroeder - Love him as a backup combo, but he thinks he is an All-NBA guy.

Biggest needs:
Primary Scorer. LaVine fits perfectly, but he could make more money in Chicago and Chicago has a better team right now.
Stretch 4 to pair with Poeltl
Secondary Playmaker. Need someone to run the offense when Murray isn't in.

Perfect summer would be landing Jabari Smith or Chet in the draft and then able to swing LaVine in free agency. Dreamers dream. LaVine's starting salary will be 35.7mm.

Duke freshman PF Paolo Banchero went to HS with A&M signee Mark Nabou.

PG: Murray/ Tre Jones
SG: JRich/ Primo / Romeo
SF: Keldon / Vassel
PF: Doug / Collins
C: Poeltl / Jock
If you could do a JRich+Romeo+1st for LaVine S&T, you open up about $18mm to make a deal for another mid-level player or so.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I think I'd only really be interested in Ayton. If not, punt for 2023. Of course this all depends on who we draft too.

Edit: But at the same time, we probably have less competition in FA this year than we would in 2023.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I think I'd only really be interested in Ayton. If not, punt for 2023. Of course this all depends on who we draft too.

Edit: But at the same time, we probably have less competition in FA this year than we would in 2023.
Only the Pistons and Magic also have max cap space this summer in addition to us. I think we are in a better place as a team with DJM, Poeltl, Vassel, Primo, Keldon plus three picks this year than either of those teams.

In Summer 23, we will only have DeJounte, Doug, Primo, Vassell under contract plus the unguarantteed contract of Collins.

Cap Figures:
Poeltl $18mm
Keldon: $11.6
Jock: $2
Plus the three draft picks (~11m)

That's about 82mm in contracts if we let Collins walk, 90mm in contracts if we keep Collins.

So less space, unless we do nothing this year.
jteagle
AG
Way too early draft wish list but it's a slow, rainy Saturday.

If we have a Top 4 pick (through luck or through trade)
1) Smith PF Auburn
2) Banchero PF Duke
3) Holmgren C Gonzaga
Smith and Banchero are both elite players but Smith is a better shooter and is better defensively. I'm not as sold on Holmgren as much because he will take more development but you can't deny his talent. 46.5% from 3, 3.3 Blocks/game.

6-10
1) Keegan Murray PF Iowa
2) Johnny Davis SG Wisconsin
3) Benedict Mathurin SG-SF Arizona
4) Kendall Brown F Baylor
Murray just seems like a Spurs player. Can defend multiple positions and has become a good scorer. Downside is that he is older than most players in the draft. Brown is a big forward, very athletic and excellent defender doesn't shoot the ball much. Davis and Mathurin are scoring guards. Mathurin is a slightly better shooter while Davis is better in defense.

17-20
1) Nikola Jovic F Serbia
2) Calen Houstan F Michigan
3) Ousmane Dieng F France

Ag Natural
AG
I dont see the Spurs getting a top 10 pock this year unless we see a rash of injuries. This team is too talented and too well coached. All these young guys want to win games.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Top 10 definitely still in play. The East has a lot of bubble teams better than the Spurs. Lots of teams in the west trying to make the play in. I like our chances for a top 10. But 6-7 position would be ideal.
jteagle
AG
THey have looked good winning 3 of the last 4 but the level of competition is about to get a little higher. In the next 10 games which are mostly on the road, they will be playing some of the top teams in the league. And we know after a long road trip, even the easy teams can get tougher. I still think they are one or two pieces away from being real contenders.
agwin12
AG
After last night's win, Pop tied with Wilkins for 2nd most wins and 4 wins away for the record.
"A life lived for others is a life worthwhile" - Albert Einstein
Ulrich
It's kinda nice getting to root for wins or losses because there are stakes both directions.
jteagle
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.