***Official 2021-2022 San Antonio Spurs Season Thread***

87,519 Views | 1335 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MookieBlaylock
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Boston gave up a 1st for Brogdon.

Kind of weird after using a 1st and swap for White. Guess they value depth.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Figured Brog was worth more than a bottom 5 frp
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Figured Brog was worth more than a bottom 5 frp

Meh. He's pretty injury prone.

Some rumors of Spurs mulling over a Jalen Smith offer.
Guitarsoup
AG
Gobert dumped to Minnesota.

Surprised they got so much for Gobert. Multiple FRPs?
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
interesting pairing to have him and KAT in the same lineup. not sure i quite understand what they are going for there
Ag Natural
AG
Dang. Isn't Gobert scheduled to make close to $50m a year?
Fairview20
AG
That is an insane amount to give up for Gobert.
West Texan
AG
In a league where centers have a hard time staying on the floor in playoff crunch time (Gobert was pretty much unplayable against Dallas this year), Minnesota is gonna pair up two of them?
AG
Fairview20 said:

That is an insane amount to give up for Gobert.

Really is. Especially for a guy that is basically a one way player that's already north of 30 .
Guitarsoup
AG
This was straight up a felony by Utah.

Three unprotected firsts, one top 5 protected, and a first rounder they just drafted? Gobert just crossed 30 and is on a 200mm contract with 4 years left.

jteagle
AG
That is crazy!
Enzo The Baker
AG
Jalen smith to Pacers.

Have no clue what the Spurs are gonna do. Let's see what teams want to unload contracts.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Jalen smith to Pacers.

Have no clue what the Spurs are gonna do. Let's see what teams want to unload contracts.
Flip Poetl to Utah for all those Minnesota picks, sign Ayton and Sexton.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Tank commander Bryn Forbes signs with Twolves.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Hornets are expected to pull the QO on bridges making him a free agent. Yup, it's going to end up being a 2nd, two firsts and a swap for DJ.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Phx has their Ayton replacement
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
I'm guessing it would be 2 firsts.
jteagle
AG
This is pretty good stuff on Primo against the #8 pick in this year's draft.

superunknown
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
So much for tanking.
flashplayer
AG
Poeltl dollar store replacement?
Enzo The Baker
AG
Nah. I think we are simply signing a 3rd string big in case Collins or Poeltl go down.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

So much for tanking.

He's taking us to the top!!!!

I liked Goegui when he was with us before. I still expect us to move Poeltl at some point, so a little insurance for that.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I really think we should keep Jakob.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I really think we should keep Jakob.

I think we're in a position that we could keep him or trade him, and either one benefits us. He's still young and a very good center to be part of what we're trying to build going forward. However, his value is high and if some team wants to offer a good deal, you take it.
FTAG 2000
AG
This move tells me Poetl is gone. Only question is if it's for more draft capital or we are renting out cap space and grabbing young talent also.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I really think the Dieng deal is just to fill out our roster after we traded the bloke that can shoot the piss out of it.

Jakob's contract's value isn't as high as it was because he's on an expiring. Best case is something like the DWhite trade.
Ag Natural
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

This move tells me Poetl is gone. Only question is if it's for more draft capital or we are renting out cap space and grabbing young talent also.
Dieng isn't even close to a replacement for Jacob. I think the Spurs try to extend Poeltl.. if they don't get a deal done by the trade deadline they may try to trade him.
FTAG 2000
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I really think the Dieng deal is just to fill out our roster after we traded the bloke that can shoot the piss out of it.

Jakob's contract's value isn't as high as it was because he's on an expiring. Best case is something like the DWhite trade.

I didnt mean Jakob contract is huge, just part of the overall context. spurs have like 40 mil in cap room right now. Add him they are up at 50.

There's some clown contracts out there teams are trying to dump. Opportunity knocks.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
So what are we projecting our rotation to look like as of now?

C: Jakob Poeltl, Zach Collins, Gorgui Dieng
PF: Jeremy Sochan, Doug McDermott
SF: Keldon Johnson, Josh Richardson
SG: Devin Vassell, Malaki Branham, Romeo Langford
PG: Josh Primo, Tre Jones, Blake Wesley

I could easily see us bringing in a DJ Augustin type to provide a veteran hand at PG and maybe bring back KBD to soak up some minutes at the 4.

Everyone keeps talking about trading for bad contracts or signing free agents as a potential use of our money, but I think we may be well-served to do something that rarely gets done in the NBA these days: re-structure the contracts of Keldon Johnson and Jakob Poeltl. It's not something that is done very often but I think the Spurs may be up to something in this regard. Remember when Robert Covington signed an extension back in the day with the 76ers that was way under market value but they concurrently used their cap space to bump up his pay on the last year of his existing deal? I think the Spurs should think about doing something like that with Jak and especially with Keldon. You could drastically bump up their salaries this year so that they would be playing on above market value contracts for a year and then sign them to below-market extensions. So it would look like this: Keldon Johnson signed renegotiated 2022-23 deal & 4-yr extension thru 2026-27. Helps the player by getting them paid a year early and front-loaded (time value of money and all that), and helps the team by giving us a player at a well below market contract for the remainder of the term.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Making splashes today.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Making splashes today.

He's a solid pickup imo. Still 24, shot 51% from the floor and 44% from 3 last season. He's also 6'8" so adds some size to our front court. He's cheap and has some upside as a solid role player, but he doesn't really move the needle if our intention is to tank.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.