***Official 2021-2022 San Antonio Spurs Season Thread***

87,527 Views | 1335 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MookieBlaylock
West Texan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
West Texan
AG
And we officially have the 9th pick.
Enzo The Baker
AG
9th. At least we didn't drop a spot.

Looking forward to watch Sacramento whiff on another top 4 pick.
taylorswift13
AG
Why can't anything good ever happen to us
Enzo The Baker
AG
Top 7 player of all time getting a small market team 5 championships was pretty good.
taylorswift13
AG
In recent years* LOL
taylorswift13
AG
The last championship I was a freshman in high school and the one before that I was 8 lol. You all got to enjoy the success and dynasty more than me lol
taylorswift13
AG
So who do you guys hope we land at 9… I like Jalen Duren, Ousmane Dieng, Johnny Davis, or Ochai Ogbaji of Kansas
flashplayer
AG
Trade up and grab Keegan Murray.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I think Duren, Mathurin and Eason are intriguing.
taylorswift13
AG
flashplayer said:

Trade up and grab Keegan Murray.
I'm definitely a huge fan of using our extra picks to trade up! We are in desperate need of a go to star! Like Murray, Ivey, or Banchero
West Texan
AG
The top 3 will most likely be some order of Holmgren, Smith, Banchero. After that I think jaden Ivey and Keegan Murray go between 4-6. Shaedon Sharpe is a huge wild card and could maybe go as high as 4 or possibly drop closer to where we pick.

Guys who could be available at 9 that I like:

Jeremy Sochan- I think he's gonna have a Scottie Barnes type impact. Really versatile defender that can potentially guard 1-5, he can run the floor and finish, and he has really good play making skills being able to handle the ball and distribute. Doesn't shoot it very well, but his shot doesn't look like it's broken. If Chip can make him a league average 3 point shooter, he's gonna be special.

Benedict Mathurin- really good athlete on the wing, solid shooter off the catch, has some shot creation, and has the potential to be a solid defender on the perimeter.

AJ Griffin- clock down shooter from 3, already built like an NBA wing, solid defender, I think he has some untapped shot creation that we didn't see in college. Has some injury history that worries me.

Ousmane Dieng- potential boom or bust type guy. 6'10" wing with good handles and vision and has the quickness to be a switchable defender. His shooting is awful right now. Form doesn't look terrible, but his numbers in the NBL were not good.

Jalen Duren- probably gonna be the youngest player drafted, he's built like a grown ass man and is super athletic for someone as big and strong as he is. He's an old school big so that limits his upside because he'll probably never be able to stretch the floor. However he does show some really good passing instincts out of the short roll and is a good finisher around the rim. His defensive potential is the big seller here. Has very good timing blocking shots and has the type of quickness to switch on pick and rolls and not get torched.
taylorswift13
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I think Duren, Mathurin and Eason are intriguing.
I really like Duren and feel like his athleticism is something Poetl lacks. Duren can help us run the floor and play quicker. Mathurin is a baller but Primo/Vassell showed something at the 2. I think what we need is a rebounding shot blocking 4 to complement Keldon at the 3 or a Johnny Davis at the 3 that can stretch the floor and allow Keldon to stay at the 4. Theres so many things to consider, it's quite nerve racking yet intriguing!
taylorswift13
AG
Solid points! I really like Duren too!
taylorswift13
AG
Which top pick do we start making rumors about so he falls to 9… jk jk jk
duck79
AG
Heard that Banchero was so lazy and cared so little about the game that he was the driving force behind Coach Ks retirement.
Guitarsoup
AG
So you're telling me there's a chance...

https://www.spurstalk.com/5-teams-that-could-sign-zach-lavine/
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Lord willing!

If LaVine is gonna leave Chicago, I think San Antonio makes the most sense. We can offer him the max, we're not the total rebuild that other places with cap space are, and he played for Pop on the Olympics along with being buddies with Dejounte.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Lord willing!

If LaVine is gonna leave Chicago, I think San Antonio makes the most sense. We can offer him the max, we're not the total rebuild that other places with cap space are, and he played for Pop on the Olympics along with being buddies with Dejounte.
Being a great fit next to DeJounte and being best friends with him certainly has to help.

Just need to make a move for a good stretch 4.
Enzo The Baker
AG
This might be the spurs best chance to land a FA for a while. We are going to have to start extending our guys soon which is going to affect cap space. I'm okay with LaVine. Will definitely be good to get a good scorer. But this team is really lacking defensively and high-iq players.
jteagle
AG
I have seen some mock drafts that have Keegan Murray falling to 9. Not everyone thinks he is going to go in the top 5. I have also seen Mathurin and Sochan. Truthfully, the experts are all over the place on that one.

The interesting thing will be to see who falls to our later picks. I like E.J. Liddell. He looks like he could be a Grant Williams type player. I also like the other forward from Baylor, Kendall Brown. Nikola Jovic, Marjon Beauchamp and Tari Eason are also intriguing.
Guitarsoup
AG
jteagle said:

I have seen some mock drafts that have Keegan Murray falling to 9. Not everyone thinks he is going to go in the top 5. I have also seen Mathurin and Sochan. Truthfully, the experts are all over the place on that one.

The interesting thing will be to see who falls to our later picks. I like E.J. Liddell. He looks like he could be a Grant Williams type player. I also like the other forward from Baylor, Kendall Brown. Nikola Jovic, Marjon Beauchamp and Tari Eason are also intriguing.
Landing Keegan Murray at 9 and then being able to swipe LaVine would be an amazing off-season.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

This might be the spurs best chance to land a FA for a while. We are going to have to start extending our guys soon which is going to affect cap space. I'm okay with LaVine. Will definitely be good to get a good scorer. But this team is really lacking defensively and high-iq players.

This is why I'm so high on Jeremy Sochan out of Baylor. Has a very natural feel for the game on both sides of the ball and is maybe the best defender not named Chet in the draft. Like I said in my earlier post, he gives me a lot of Scottie Barnes vibes. Does everything really well and just contributes to winning basketball. If he was any kind of a reliable shooter, he'd be in the conversation for top 4.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

jteagle said:

Landing Keegan Murray at 9 and then being able to swipe LaVine would be an amazing off-season.

Murray would be the best case scenario at 9, but I just have a hard time seeing him fall that far.
West Texan
AG
jteagle said:

I like all of those guys with our later picks. Jovic is my favorite. 6'10" with serious handles and vision. He's a streaky shooter but I think he can get it ironed out and be a solid NBA shooter. Biggest question is will he be athletic enough to ever guard anyone.

Another name to keep an eye on is Jalen Williams from Santa Clara. Under the radar guy that's starting to rise some, can shoot and has a good feel for the game.
jteagle
AG
Here are the Spurs picks from various mocks that I've seen. These were all updated after the Lottery announcement.

Tankathon
9 Mathurin
20 Kennedy Chandler G Tenn
25 Patrick Baldwin F Milwaukee

SI
9 Johnny Davis
20 EJ Liddell
25 Wendell Moore Duke

The Ringer
9 Mathurin
20 Nikola Jovic
25 Kendall Brown Baylor

NBA draft.net
9 AJ Griffin Duke
20 Jaden Hardy G G-League
25 Jalen Williams Santa Clara
38 Wendell Moore

CBS Sports
9 Sochan
20 Marjon Beauchamp F G- league
25 Harrison Ingram F Stanford

SBNation
9 Mathurin
20 Jovic
25 Kennedy Chandler

SportsNaut
9 Shaedon Sharpe
20 Sochan
25 Walker Kessler C Auburn
38 Christian Koloko C Arizona
Ag Natural
AG
No way we trade up unless we give up future 1sts. It just doesn't happen.

I personally love Sochan at 9.
jteagle
AG
Ag Natural said:

No way we trade up unless we give up future 1sts. It just doesn't happen.

I personally love Sochan at 9.
I agree. We're not getting a top 4 pick this year. Best we can hope for is that somebody like Murray falls to #9 or we hit on the next Kawhi at that pick.
taylorswift13
AG
jteagle
AG
taylorswift13 said:

I will trust the coaching staff but if the Spurs draft Duren with the 9th pick I will be disappointed.
West Texan
AG
jteagle said:

taylorswift13 said:

I will trust the coaching staff but if the Spurs draft Duren with the 9th pick I will be disappointed.

Fist of all, if we picked Duren he's not starting over Poeltl next year.

Secondly, it wouldn't be my favorite but there are definitely some guys mocked in that range that I would dislike more (looking at you Johnny Davis). If the Primo pick from last year tells us anything, it's that the they'll take a chance on a super young kid that is a year ahead of where he should be drafted, and that fits Duren.
jteagle
AG
taylorswift13 said:

Zach Levine is intriguing. He would definitely make the Spurs a playoff team but does he have the ability to lift them up to a championship level. I guess the jury is still out on that one.

I have come to the conclusion, as I'm sure many of you have as well, that there are many great players in the league but very few that really can lead a team to a championship. We saw that this year with Chris Paul. James Harden and Russel Westbrook fit that category as well.

There are just very few players that have the combination of talent, drive and leadership that it takes. As Spurs fans we were blessed to have one of those rare players in Tim Duncan.

In my opinion, that is what the search is for both in the draft and in free agency. Lots of players have talent but only a few have that special something to put a team over the top.

Let's hope we can find it this year!
Ag Natural
AG
jteagle said:

taylorswift13 said:

Zach Levine is intriguing. He would definitely make the Spurs a playoff team but does he have the ability to lift them up to a championship level. I guess the jury is still out on that one.

I have come to the conclusion, as I'm sure many of you have as well, that there are many great players in the league but very few that really can lead a team to a championship. We saw that this year with Chris Paul. James Harden and Russel Westbrook fit that category as well.

There are just very few players that have the combination of talent, drive and leadership that it takes. As Spurs fans we were blessed to have one of those rare players in Tim Duncan.

In my opinion, that is what the search is for both in the draft and in free agency. Lots of players have talent but only a few have that special something to put a team over the top.

Let's hope we can find it this year!
I think you can build a team that meshes so well that the whole becomes better than the sum of parts. You have to have high character and high IQ guys who can some do SOMETHING elite. I think the late Duncan Spurs had that. No one guy was carrying those teams. I think Boston has that this year. Tatum is a great player but I don't think he's in the Giannis, Jokic, Luka category. This version of GSW is there. Curry is great but he's not carrying your team to championships without a special player like Draymond. Miami is similar to Boston. One elite player who has had his ups and downs. But overall a great team with pieces that fit really well.
jteagle
AG
I can see that. Detroit with Chauncy and those guys were like that I think. However, I don't think those types of teams will win multiple championships.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Miami right now is showing you that you don't have to have an overwhelming talent to compete. I think just about everyone has Jimmy outside of their top 5 players and you wouldn't even get consensus on him being a top 10 player.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.