***Official 2021-2022 San Antonio Spurs Season Thread***

100,662 Views | 1335 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MookieBlaylock
jteagle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If we got this draft, I would be happy with it.

West Texan
AG
jteagle said:

I like Eason, but I feel like 9 is too high for him. I'm also not a huge fan of Hardy.
jteagle
AG
West Texan said:

jteagle said:

I like Eason, but I feel like 9 is too high for him. I'm also not a huge fan of Hardy.
I know 9 might be too high for Eason but he also may not be there at 20 so it all depends on how much they think of him. I like him because I would like to see more size at the Forward position. Sochan would fit there too but he isn't much of a scorer. Now if Sochan could turn into the next Kawhi I would be OK with that.
West Texan
AG
jteagle said:

West Texan said:

jteagle said:

I know 9 might be too high for Eason but he also may not be there at 20 so it all depends on how much they think of him. I like him because I would like to see more size at the Forward position. Sochan would fit there too but he isn't much of a scorer. Now if Sochan could turn into the next Kawhi I would be OK with that.

I'm pretty high on Sochan myself, and wouldn't hesitate to pick him at 9. He has a much more complete offensive game from his feel, vision and passing ability, and much more natural with the ball in his hand imo. Now he has to improve his jumper so that people will actually guard him on the perimeter, but I think his ceiling is higher than Eason's.

If we don't pick Sochan, I do like Eason a lot. I agree that he probably won't be there at 20, but we could possibly package 20 & 25 to move up into the teens to pick him if PATFO feels that highly about him. We can't keep all 3 first rounder (plus 38) on the roster, so we're either gonna need to move a pick or two or make some kind of draft and stash type picks.
utah, get me two
Y'all seen our new bull**** ass logos, they suck ass
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Spurs apparently made a promise to Caleb Houstan out of Michigan, likely for one of their later first rounders.

The bottom paragraph makes the Luka pick even more infuriating. Ooof.

Quote:

Yes, the Spurs have made draft promises in the past. Their most famous one involved Nicolas Batum in the 2008 draft. The Spurs promised Batum that he'd be their pick at 26. Since Batum was close friends with Tony Parker, he eagerly accepted and stopped working out for other teams. In fact, rival teams believe the Spurs were the source of a draft day rumor that Batum had failed a physical due to a heart defect.

Unfortunately, the Portland Trail Blazers caught wind of San Antonio's promise and traded for the 25th pick and selected Batum. The Spurs ended up taking George Hill at 26 instead.

A more recent example took place in the 2019 draft. According to multiple sources, the Spurs made a draft promise to Jordan Poole at 29. Again, San Antonio's promise became public knowledge throughout the league. Knowing of San Antonio's interest in him, the Warriors scooped up Poole at 28. As it turned out, San Antonio's consolation prize of Keldon Johnson at 29 has worked out well.

https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antonio-spurs-draft-promise-caleb-houstan-2022-nba-draft-rumor/
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Spurs apparently made a promise to Caleb Houstan out of Michigan, likely for one of their later first rounders.

The bottom paragraph makes the Luka pick even more infuriating. Ooof.

Quote:

Yes, the Spurs have made draft promises in the past. Their most famous one involved Nicolas Batum in the 2008 draft. The Spurs promised Batum that he'd be their pick at 26. Since Batum was close friends with Tony Parker, he eagerly accepted and stopped working out for other teams. In fact, rival teams believe the Spurs were the source of a draft day rumor that Batum had failed a physical due to a heart defect.

Unfortunately, the Portland Trail Blazers caught wind of San Antonio's promise and traded for the 25th pick and selected Batum. The Spurs ended up taking George Hill at 26 instead.

A more recent example took place in the 2019 draft. According to multiple sources, the Spurs made a draft promise to Jordan Poole at 29. Again, San Antonio's promise became public knowledge throughout the league. Knowing of San Antonio's interest in him, the Warriors scooped up Poole at 28. As it turned out, San Antonio's consolation prize of Keldon Johnson at 29 has worked out well.

https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antonio-spurs-draft-promise-caleb-houstan-2022-nba-draft-rumor/

Ending that draft with Poole and Keldon would have been amazing.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Spurs interested in Sexton.

https://www.si.com/nba/spurs/.amp/news/san-antonio-collin-sexton-free-agency-zach-lavine-dejounte-murray
jteagle
AG
Throwback!

LawHall88
AG
racerfink
Wokevich just needs to go away. I used to complain about Phil only winning because he had superstars, but at least he won in two different cities.
Guitarsoup
AG
racerfink said:

Wokevich just needs to go away. I used to complain about Phil only winning because he had superstars, but at least he won in two different cities.

In two cities? What difference does that make? He had three Top 10 players of all time
LawHall88
AG

jteagle
AG
racerfink said:

Thank you for contributing a new, fresh perspective.

Any idea who the Spurs should draft?
jteagle
AG
LawHall88 said:

I would not be upset if he was the next coach of the Spurs.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Makes sense but easier said than done.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Rumors that other teams expect Spurs to take a big at 9. Williams or Duren the most likely. In reality no one knows what we are going to do. Will definitely be disappointed if we don't take best available though.
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Rumors that other teams expect Spurs to take a big at 9. Williams or Duren the most likely. In reality no one knows what we are going to do. Will definitely be disappointed if we don't take best available though.
True, what makes best available interesting is that many times the Spurs "best available" isn't the same as the experts "best available".
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
I would not be the least bit surprised if we were smokescreening an attempted move up to grab Keegan Murray. If there was ever a guy that screamed Spurs culture, it's him. I think in the end we will try to use one of picks 20/25 and 38 to move up from 9 if he falls past 5 or so.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Sharpe worked out for the Spurs.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Sharpe worked out for the Spurs.

Be interesting to know what the front office thinks of him. He's a huge unknown since he didn't play at Kentucky, but has a ton of hype around him.
yawny06
AG
jteagle said:

Throwback!

I was there and it was glorious!
Enzo The Baker
AG
StillNotAnAggie
Jonathan Simmons plays in the Big 3 League? He couldn't make an NBA team?
Enzo The Baker
AG
Fischer reporting that the Spurs and Pacers are trying to move up to 4 for Keegan Murray.
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Fischer reporting that the Spurs and Pacers are trying to move up to 4 for Keegan Murray.
I saw that. I think he would be a good fit. Would be nice to see them get a deal done.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I think he'd be a good fit as well. A top 4 pick on a near 22 year old is a little questionable though.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I think he'd be a good fit as well. A top 4 pick on a near 22 year old is a little questionable though.

That's what worries me the most. I think he's going to be a solid NBA player, but I think he's pretty close to his ceiling already. I'd almost rather take a chance on Ivey if we get up to 4 just because I think he's got all star potential, even if his fit is questionable with our current roster.
Ag Natural
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

That's what worries me the most. I think he's going to be a solid NBA player, but I think he's pretty close to his ceiling already. I'd almost rather take a chance on Ivey if we get up to 4 just because I think he's got all star potential, even if his fit is questionable with our current roster.

That whole age bias is so bogus. A decent scout should be smart enough to see if the guy was only having success in college because he was older. Players can improve well into their 20s.
West Texan
AG
Ag Natural said:

West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

That whole age bias is so bogus. A decent scout should be smart enough to see if the guy was only having success in college because he was older. Players can improve well into their 20s.

It's not that guys can't keep improving, but most guys aren't going to make monumental jumps in their mid 20s.

Since I didn't make it very clear in my previous post, I'm a big fan of Murray and think he'd be a great fit and immediately make us a better team. I'm just hesitant on moving up to 4 to get him.
West Texan
AG

I got a kick out of the flow chart.
Enzo The Baker
AG
MookieBlaylock
AG
AMAZING! THANKS FOR SHARING
jteagle
AG
Alot of the experts think that the Spurs will use 20 and 25 to move up to the 10-15 range so they can have two possible lottery picks and it makes sense. Would be nice to get Mathurin and Sochan or something along those lines.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.