***Official 2021-2022 San Antonio Spurs Season Thread***

86,871 Views | 1335 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MookieBlaylock
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lets get it. Preseason starts tomorrow.

Every pundits I've heard predicts the Spurs to be bottom 5 in the league. Yet the boys in silver and black think they're vastly underrated.

I'm genuinely curious.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Any outcome this season is great in my opinion because we will learn what kind of assets we truly have now, and we should have an excellent picture of what direction this team needs to go after the season. Suck horribly? Land a lottery pick and start cultivating the talent we need. Middle of the pack team? Considering how young we are then that would mean we have at least a couple of good pieces we can start leaning on and shuffle the rest of the roster around or sell them off to kickstart a full rebuild. Play-in team or better? Now we are maybe starting to talk "hey San Antonio may be a great place for a star or two to sign in FA because they have a young cheap good supporting cast" similar to how the Nets were pre KD/Kyrie or the Clippers pre-Kawhi/PG. Regardless of the outcome I am excited to see what we become and I am cautiously optimistic, I don't think we have any perennial All-NBA guys but I do think that the casual NBA fan underrates the potential of the guys on our squad.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Vegas has us at 29.5 wins. I think it's fair. Haven't looked at SOS but I can see us improving as the season goes on, assuming no crazy injuries.
West Texan
AG
Wasn't able to watch, but we rolled the Jazz in our first preseason game tonight (for whatever that's worth). Primo had 17 points in 17 minutes on 7-8 shooting 3-4 from 3.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Looks like Jock put up a decent line too. Lonnie gonna be lonnie going 1-7.

Thad and Aminu did not play. Guess they are finalizing that Simmons trade.
Guitarsoup
AG
Primo going to be a superstar.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Primo going to be a superstar.

His highlights from last night. One of the layups looked Parker-esque. He's got some good sized hands that allow him to have excellent control of the ball. He got after it on defense too.
Ag Natural
AG
Yeah Primo has a the raw skill and talent to be very good, very soon. Imagine if he grows a little bit more!

Pop is talking about playing a lot of guys and keep up a brisk pace. It will be very interesting to see how it shakes out. I could see Primo being the 2nd wave primary playmaker.
Enzo The Baker
AG
It'll be interesting to see if he continues to perform well. It might force Pop to keep him on the 1st team. But there are only so many backcourt mins to go around when you also figure Jones is deserving of minutes when he's healthy. Who knows, Primo might end up showing more than Jones/Forbes/Walker by season end and carve out his place in front of those guys sooner than we think.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Primo aint gonna even beat out Lonnie bc he is too young to be able to play. Lonnie has 3 years experience on him

Enzo The Baker
AG
If it was any other year I might agree with you. But I think we will see Pop be more open to different things now more than any other season because he can be. Especially if Lonnie doesn't progress, which is very possible.
Ag Natural
AG
There are betting lines on NBA preseason games. I dont why I'm surprised but that is shocking to me.
jteagle
AG
Bryan got 12 pts in 7 minutes in the first half. Lonnie looks good tonight. Keldon is cold. Primo not playing tonight.
LawHall88
AG
New look Spurs?
West Texan
AG
LawHall88 said:

New look Spurs?

Enzo The Baker
AG
Spurs game against the Heat is streaming on the Spurs app tonight at 730pm if anyone is interested in watching Bryn play defense.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Herro + scrubs are taking it to the Spurs. No one on the Spurs playing well.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Samanic played well down the stretch. I really like Landale. The ball really moves when he's in the game. Lonnie Walker will be playing in Eastern Europe in two years.

Edit: Thad Young did his best to tank his trade value tonight.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Samanic played well down the stretch. I really like Landale. The ball really moves when he's in the game. Lonnie Walker will be playing in Eastern Europe in two years.

Edit: Thad Young did his best to tank his trade value tonight.

Still to early judge LWIV. Such a ridiculous statement

LawHall88
AG
Spurs gotta cut 2 guys to get to 15. Aminu is almost certainly one, and Samanic seems to be in the lead to be the other. What a wasted pick.
Enzo The Baker
AG
According to Jeff McDonald, it's Aminu, Bates-Diop and Samanic competing for the final roster spot. I bet it will likely be the former two to go.
LawHall88
AG
And the Luka era comes to an end.

Enzo The Baker
AG
I knew Luka was not going to make it in the NBA, but letting him go two years after being drafted…did not see that coming.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Worst pick since Jean Charles. Although in the 2013 draft there really weren't a lot of quality draft picks after 28 (missed Gobert by a hair). In 2019, we could have drafted Clarke, Thybull, Claxton, Poole or KPJ. What a freaking joke.
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I knew Luka was not going to make it in the NBA, but letting him go two years after being drafted…did not see that coming.
Sometimes you just gotta cut your losses, instead of bringing a guy back year after year thinking that there is some switch you can flip that will turn him into the player you thought he would be.
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Worst pick since Jean Charles. Although in the 2013 draft there really weren't a lot of quality draft picks after 28 (missed Gobert by a hair). In 2019, we could have drafted Clarke, Thybull, Claxton, Poole or KPJ. What a freaking joke.
Also Nikola Milutinov in 2015. Taken one pick before Larry Nance Jr.
Ag Natural
AG
Yeah last night it looked like Luka was begging to be cut. Terrible effort. I dont really love the other end of bench guys but Luka was showing nothing. This is a culture move more than anything.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I've never seen a professional basketball player that looks like he doesn't like playing basketball. That's Luka. He played like he would rather be doing anything else.

To your point about culture, it does seem to be this more than anything. The Spurs are even paying his full $2.9 million in salary for this season. That's how much they are willing to part ways.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I've never seen a professional basketball player that looks like he doesn't like playing basketball. That's Luka. He played like he would rather be doing anything else.

To your point about culture, it does seem to be this more than anything. The Spurs are even paying his full $2.9 million in salary for this season. That's how much they are willing to part ways.

West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I think had Luka and Keldon's picks been flipped, we wouldn't have the same kind of reaction to him being cut.
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I think had Luka and Keldon's picks been flipped, we wouldn't have the same kind of reaction to him being cut.

That is probably true. The fact that it was the Spurs pick, an earlier pick, makes it worse. Spurs were very fortunate to get KJ.
Guitarsoup
AG
That draft was pretty much trash. Biggest mistake is that Thybulle was taken 20th after Luka.

That could have negated the need to take Vassell, allowing us to use that pick on Halliburton. This would be such a better team if you could trade Vassell and Luka for Halliburton and Thybulle.
MookieBlaylock
AG
O/U 2 years before he is a borderline all star with a new team?
Guitarsoup
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

O/U 2 years before he is a borderline all star with a new team?
He might be an All-Star this year with Petrol Olimpija

LawHall88
AG

Not sure how all this works, but according to the article the point is to lock up his G-League rights.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.