Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,483 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Thunder18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Have they said anything about Antony? Getting carried off against Chelsea wasn't a good sign.

"Probably will recover in time for the final"...either his injury really was minor or a managerial slight of hand
Mathguy64
AG
Thunder18 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Have they said anything about Antony? Getting carried off against Chelsea wasn't a good sign.

"Probably will recover in time for the final"...either his injury really was minor or a managerial slight of hand

Well if it's his right foot it won't matter since he never uses it anyway.
Showstopper
AG
I think this probably means the front six that started Sunday will probably start the FA cup final. (I know he said Antony will be available, but I'll believe it when I see it).

Meanwhile City will have pretty much everyone available, and have players like Foden, Alvarez, and Mahrez hanging out on the bench sipping pina coladas waiting to come in for the final third. Must be nice. Meanwhile our sub options are guys like Wout Weghorst, Harry Maguire, and Scott McTominay.
Dre_00
Dalot signed a new contract this week good till 2028 with a club option for an additional year. Sometimes I forget that he's only 24. Given this, the fact that AWB has seemingly been first choice (I bet he starts tomorrow), and there are a lot of other greater needs, I'm going to guess that both AWB and Dalot will be with the team next season in spite of rumors suggesting that AWB will be moved out for another RB.
Dre_00
Antony is "unlikely" to play tomorrow according to ETH.

So I guess that means you either start Garnacho on the left, move Rashford to forward, and put Sancho on the right...or you start Wout at forward, keep Rashford on the left and put Sancho on the right. Alternatively, I guess he could elect for Fernandes on the right and put Fred, Eriksen and Casemiro in the middle.

Either way, it comes down to starting Garnacho or Wout. Garnacho has only gotten a handful of starts and I just don't see ETH now choosing to start him in a cup final against City. I'm betting that Wout starts.

---------------Wout--------------
Rashford---Fred----------Fernandes
-----------Eriksen---Casemiro----

Tell Fred and Wout to run around, press, and just generally try to **** **** up.
Mathguy64
AG
Good thing I have Saturday off to be able to watch the match.

Oh wait. I don't have ESPN+ and the FA cleverly decided to hide this on yet another streaming service.

Peacock for EPL. Paramount for UEFA. ESPN+ for FA cup. Maybe we can put WC2024 on some random streamer too.
planoaggie123
AG
Its ridiculous. Especially finals. You are not going to add viewers for a single finals match. However, maybe show the finals match the the "general population" and you gain people who want to follow next year.

Of all those I do happen to have Paramount and it was nice for UEFA but I plan to drop Paramount this summer so next year I will be back to "basic" ESPN and standard sports cable channels.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Dre_00 said:

Antony is "unlikely" to play tomorrow according to ETH.

So I guess that means you either start Garnacho on the left, move Rashford to forward, and put Sancho on the right...or you start Wout at forward, keep Rashford on the left and put Sancho on the right. Alternatively, I guess he could elect for Fernandes on the right and put Fred, Eriksen and Casemiro in the middle.

Either way, it comes down to starting Garnacho or Wout. Garnacho has only gotten a handful of starts and I just don't see ETH now choosing to start him in a cup final against City. I'm betting that Wout starts.

---------------Wout--------------
Rashford---Fred----------Fernandes
-----------Eriksen---Casemiro----

Tell Fred and Wout to run around, press, and just generally try to **** **** up.
Last game of the year, Brent. Can't hold anything back now.
Showstopper
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Its ridiculous. Especially finals. You are not going to add viewers for a single finals match. However, maybe show the finals match the the "general population" and you gain people who want to follow next year.
Sadly, you are incorrect since I actually am signing up for a month and cancelling after the match tomorrow lol. So they are getting at least one.
planoaggie123
AG
*any long-term
Furlock Bones
AG
Thunder18
AG
Fernandes at RW?
Aston94
AG
That's the lineup I was hoping for.
Dre_00
Yep. I got that part right but not the Wout part. ETH has done it before in these top of games where his team have less talent and he's trying to make the opposition uncomfortable.

Big opportunity for Sancho. Might be his last chance to convince ETH that he can be a key, trusted player this season.
Furlock Bones
AG
Christ guys.
Aston94
AG
That was a hell of a strike.
Furlock Bones
AG
Bruno goal
Furlock Bones
AG
Absolute joke of a yellow card.
Aston94
AG
Well after giving up a goal in the first minute, going in at half 1-1 is a good place to be.
Showstopper
AG
I hate Grealish so much. He needs to start getting carded for all the flopping. Everyone loves Grealish. You know what? Not me. F that guy.
Furlock Bones
AG
DDG is ****ing worthless
Showstopper
AG
I don't have any idea how Eriksen is still in this game he's given both goals to Gundogan
Furlock Bones
AG
Showstopper said:

I don't have any idea how Eriksen is still in this game he's given both goals to Gundogan

Eriksen has been terrible for sure. But any keeper should make that save.
Dre_00
I missed the first 58 minutes due to unexpected single parenting duties.

Well, maybe missing it is a bad way of saying it.
Furlock Bones
AG
Dre_00 said:

Same old ***** This squad is still so average. It's honestly a minor miracle what EtH has achieved.
Showstopper
AG
He's responsible for Gudogan both times. You can't complain about Maguire not marking people all year and ignore that. It was basically free kick both times without a wall. Terrible.
Showstopper
AG
Thank god Garnacho on for Eriksen
Furlock Bones
AG
Showstopper said:

Thank god Garnacho on for Eriksen

Definitely speaks to how bad Eriksen has been that Sancho didn't go off for Garnacho.
Mathguy64
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Dre_00 said:

Same old ***** This squad is still so average. It's honestly a minor miracle what EtH has achieved.

It's as much the gap in squads and player pool from City back to everyone else.

They are starting their #2 GK and can afford to have Foden, Mahrez and Alvarez on the bench as subs. No other team can do that. At some point all that sovereign cash tilts the playing field.
Furlock Bones
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Dre_00 said:

It's as much the gap in squads and player pool from City back to everyone else.

They are starting their #2 GK and can afford to have Foden, Mahrez and Alvarez on the bench as subs. No other team can do that. At some point all that sovereign cash tilts the playing field.

That's not wrong. But United have made some absolute **** signings for massive wages as well. Our hit rate is far below average.
Dre_00
Feel like worth pointing out that Eriksen has been playing out of position all season because he's the only person who can do even half of what ETH wants out of that position.

I don't say that to defend his play today. I'll take everyone's word for it when you say he sucked. Just say that to point out just how thin this squad is. Has some talent in some positions. But definitely lacking talent in too many positions.
Furlock Bones
AG
Try Hard coming on in a FA final.
Showstopper
AG
I'm not mad at Eriksen per se; we spent all summer chasing de Jong, got Eriksen as a free transfer, and then got Sabitzer as a fill in who also has been better than we should have expected when he got hurt. And we actually even got the good version of Fred today.

It's just disappointing is all I'm saying.
Dre_00
That's 100% accurate. You're not going to undo 10 years of Woodward asshattery with 1 season of above average coaching. We know this.

To paraphrase Frozen 2 (Yeah, I went there...I told you I was single parenting), the only thing we can do is the next right thing. Did a good job hiring ETH. Did a pretty good job in the last transfer season (especially when compared to previous ones). But it's going to take a lot of right decisions strung together to go where we want to go. Coming summer window is a big one.
Dre_00
Showstopper said:

I'm not mad at Eriksen per se; we spent all summer chasing de Jong, got Eriksen as a free transfer, and then got Sabitzer as a fill in who also has been better than we should have expected when he got hurt. And we actually even got the good version of Fred today.

It's just disappointing is all I'm saying.

100% fair!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.