Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,289 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jeffk said:

Dammit y'all now there's nothing exciting about Sunday.

Of course there is. You guys are going to be playing lots of Sundays next season...exciting!
byfLuger41
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Frank is sitting there like "4 more days. 4 more days of this crappy team then I'm out of here."

Aston94
AG
jeffk said:

Have you clinched Europa League?
jeffk
AG
Dre_00 said:

jeffk said:

Of course there is. You guys are going to be playing lots of Sundays next season...exciting!

Fair! We've been crap this year, so a break from CL play is certainly deserved.
jeffk
AG
Yes, that's why I said there's nothing to play for Sunday.
Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

Yes, that's why I said there's nothing to play for Sunday.

Sundays have one redeeming quality for me. I can't watch anything Saturday with all the rec soccer stuff I do. I can watch Sundays.
jeffk
AG
The relegation battle is still a compelling story.
Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

The relegation battle is still a compelling story.

Hopefully Everton fulfills it's destiny.
Dre_00
https://theathletic.com/4552907/2023/05/26/mason-mount-manchester-united/

Good article on how Mount could potentially be best used at United. The end of the article summarizes the thesis nicely.

Quote:

The Englishman could provide the same progressive passing, set-piece delivery and late entries into the box of Eriksen, while improving United's defensive intensity when out of possession. There is some method in United's pursuit of someone seven years younger than the Dane who can provide similar attacking output plus superior defensive resistance.

The question is whether "better than Eriksen/United's other box-to-box midfielders" is a good enough benchmark for what United want to achieve in future seasons.

I'm still not sold that he's an ideal replacement/second option to Eriksen but he makes a fair point. Though no matter what, 85 million is far too much for him, IMO.
Dre_00
Aston94 said:

Man this game is wild ass!

Apparently, our xG was 5.14...the highest any team has had in the PL this season...and it still feels like we played one of our worst games. Wild ass indeed.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Aston94 said:

Apparently, our xG was 5.14...the highest any team has had in the PL this season...and it still feels like we played one of our worst games. Wild ass indeed.
Watching it I thought the xG would have been like 9 United, 6 Chelsea.
Mathguy64
AG
Aston94 said:

Dre_00 said:

Aston94 said:

Watching it I thought the xG would have been like 9 United, 6 Chelsea.
Ha! I thought 8-7.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Good article on how Mount could potentially be best used at United. The end of the article summarizes the thesis nicely.

Quote:

The Englishman could provide the same progressive passing, set-piece delivery and late entries into the box of Eriksen, while improving United's defensive intensity when out of possession. There is some method in United's pursuit of someone seven years younger than the Dane who can provide similar attacking output plus superior defensive resistance.

The question is whether "better than Eriksen/United's other box-to-box midfielders" is a good enough benchmark for what United want to achieve in future seasons.

I'm still not sold that he's an ideal replacement/second option to Eriksen but he makes a fair point. Though no matter what, 85 million is far too much for him, IMO.

Mount would definitely provide solid midfield depth which we sorely need. $85M sounds like a lot to me, I thought Chelsea were giving away players?
akm91
AG
Would Mount sign if he wasn't a regular starter? I guess it'll be between him and Eriksen for that 3rd MF spot right?
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Dre_00
That's the idea I guess even though he hasn't really played a lot in that deeper role. It's not foreign to him but I believe he typically likes to play closer to goal.

But it's not like he wouldn't have ample opportunity to become the every week starter. People forget Eriksen is playing somewhat out of position in that deeper role. He too typically plays further upfield. There probably aren't many, if any, other CL clubs with a clearer path to everyday starter for a midfielder in that role than United.
Showstopper
AG
Aston94 said:

Dre_00 said:

Quote:

Mount would definitely provide solid midfield depth which we sorely need. $85M sounds like a lot to me, I thought Chelsea were giving away players?
I think that's way too high. That's more than the rumored club price for de Jong last year.

Maybe no one told Chelsea they were ass this year, and pretty much everyone looked like ass on their way to being ass.
Mathguy64
AG
Slabhead's send off?

De Gea, Dalot, Lindelof, Maguire, Malacia, Casemiro, Fred, Sancho, Fernandes, Garnacho, Rashford.
Aston94
AG
He should get the start on last day of a meaningless game as the team captain. Should be his last game as captain, as I hope he doesn't step foot on Wembley for the FA Cup final.
Mathguy64
AG
He's under contract for 2 more years with an option for a third.
Aston94
AG
You think he is going to be on team next year? And if so you think he is going to be captain?
Mathguy64
AG
Will he be here next year? Honestly I don't know. I think that partly depends on if the club is sold. If he is still here I do think they need to select a captain that actually plays.
Aston94
AG
If he has illusions of keeping his spot on the English National Team then he needs to find consistent minutes and he is not going to find those at Old Trafford.

I don't see any way he would be the captain next season whether he is there or not.
Mathguy64
AG
DeGea stones Mitrovic!
Mathguy64
AG
That save has lit a fire.
Aston94
AG
Tied 1-1, Old Trafford has been Mitrovic's house of horrors
Aston94
AG
2-1 win confirms 3rd place finish.
Mathguy64
AG
Dre_00 said:

It can't get any worse can it? (It probably can)

Help us Erik ten Hag, you're our only hope.

It wasn't perfect but top 3 and at least 1 trophy.

Not a bad year 1.
Dre_00
If you would have told me in July that we'd finish 3rd and win the League Cup, I would have gladly taken it. If you would have told me that after the game @ Brentford, I would have cried tears of joy.

I hope we don't get humped on Sunday but even if we do, it shouldn't detract from a season which has been a clear big step forward.
Showstopper
AG
I was telling my kid after the Brentford game that we should have kept Ole, the new guy wasn't ready for the big time, and we'd be lucky to finish mid-table. I said he would be gone by the WC break.

Glad I was wrong! Lol.

(I may have been a little upset)
Dre_00
Martial is out of the cup final. Strained hamstring. I'm shocked I tell you. Shocked.

Return of the Wout? My guess is that ETH will want a pressing forward to disrupt City even if that pressing forward isn't especially good at scoring goals.
Mathguy64
AG
So Martial is French for "fragile as 300 year old hand blown Venetian glass". Who knew?
BJM1781
AG
Martial has got to go this summer.

And please, please don't trot Wout out there in the starting 11 Saturday. We can't have his ass lumbering around and making zero impact in the final third.
Thunder18
AG
The thought of WW starting the FA Cup Final against City is terrifying
Aston94
AG
Would love to see a front 3 of Sancho-Rashford-Antony. Really put the pressure on the back line of City as much as possible. Bring in Garnacho in 2nd half for Antony to continue pressure.

I don't like the odds of winning, but that seems like the best way for United to make it happen.

Mathguy64
AG
Have they said anything about Antony? Getting carried off against Chelsea wasn't a good sign.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.