Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,574 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I refuse to listen to Jeff on anything United related!

But I will concede a younger Neymar would be better.
Showstopper
AG
I'll take Neymar if it is a sign we are getting Qatar (and more importantly the Glazers are getting the hell out. And for the record I was strongly pro-Jim up until he came up with the "let's keep Joel and Avram around as minority shareholders" plan. So does that mean I care more about getting rid of Joel and Avram than human rights violations? Yeah… pretty much, that's what it means.)
Dre_00
Aston94 said:

I refuse to listen to Jeff on anything United related!

But I will concede a younger Neymar would be better.
That's fair.
deadbq03
AG
Not so sure you should read this from the lens of new ownership. As an outsider, I see this as a classic Glazer move… overpaying for fame.

They'll sell a ton of kits.
jeffk
Aston94
AG
Rashford is back in full training and apparently will be available for Chelsea.
Showstopper
AG
deadbq03 said:

Not so sure you should read this from the lens of new ownership. As an outsider, I see this as a classic Glazer move… overpaying for fame.

They'll sell a ton of kits.
The only way I could see it working would be if there was a loan of someone back to PSG (Rashford or Sancho) and given our FFP constraints they'd probably need to pick up part of the wage. We can't really afford him on a full sale. As we all too painfully know, when you overpay on wages, it is hard to sell those players. So really I could only see it happening under Qatar ownership. Plus, I don't think the Glazers will approve big transfer fees until they have a deal this year; they don't care about selling a few kits.

PS - I think this is most likely a silly summer transfer story that gets clicks and goes nowhere.
Thunder18
AG
This is 100% Neymar's agent shopping him around to multiple clubs. I don't think there is any real interest from ETH for Neymar at this point in his career
Mathguy64
AG
I'm trying to imagine Neymar playing in the most physical league in the world, the one with the reputation for least protecting its players and all I can think is that he would be broken in 3 games.

Pass.

Now if they want to let us have MBappe I am all ears.
akm91
AG
Yeah, no way I can see ETH wanting to deal with the drama that will surround Neymar.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Aston94
AG
How about Mason Mount instead? That's today's rumor. I like Mount, would be a younger option for sure.
Thunder18
AG
Aston94 said:

How about Mason Mount instead? That's today's rumor. I like Mount, would be a younger option for sure.

If offered at a fair and reasonable price, sure he would provide some good depth, but again doesn't really address our most pressing needs
Showstopper
AG
Don't love it but I do like it. Would challenge for the Eriksen slot. I mean, if someone asked a year ago "would you rather have Mount or Eriksen?" The answer would have been really obvious. Now, granted, in the interim we had dreams of De Jong or Bellingham so Mount is less exciting than that. But he's been a really good player on a team that was really bad this year and he had some struggles like nearly everyone at Chelsea this year. So I guess I'm saying it's a move I really like for a top quality player, but it's like and not love.
Dre_00
Similar opinion. I think he's a good player but he typically is better further upfield were Bruno plays. That's actually where Eriksen plays traditionally as well. Except Eriksen is capable as a deeper lying mid whereas I don't know that Mason is (or at least not as capable).

Basically, I don't think you could use Mason to spell Eriksen as a deep lying mid. You would really only want to use him as an option to give Bruno a rest (which is an underrated need for this team before his legs explode at 29) or push Bruno wide on a game specific basis. And given all of that, I would likely only want to pay far less than what Chelsea would be willing to accept.
Dre_00
Just saw that United are reportedly offering 55 million GBP while Chelsea want 85 million.

Both of those numbers are absurd for a 24 year old midfielder in the last year of his contract.
Dre_00
Also ran across a Tyler Adams to United for 35 million rumor if Leeds go down. Would be a good option to rotate and/or play for Casemiro when he inevitably gets suspended for a red card. I would be more than OK with this at that price.
Furlock Bones
AG
Can we close this out against a crap Chelsea? Fingers crossed we take care of business today.
Thunder18
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Can we close this out against a crap Chelsea? Fingers crossed we take care of business today.

From your lips to God's ears. I don't know if the team has the mental fortitude to handle the pressure of getting a result on matchday 38. Just close it out today
jeffk
AG
Fingers crossed you don't!
Thunder18
AG
jeffk said:

Fingers crossed you don't!

**** off back to your own thread scouse boy
jeffk
AG
I will not. But I will continue to be charming and precocious.
Dre_00
Rashford on the bench. Sancho starts. No idea why Garnacho can't get a start ahead of Sancho.
Dre_00
Find it interesting that Dalot hasn't started a game since Varane has been back and ETH hasn't been forced to play him at LB. Is AWB his preferred RB now?
Furlock Bones
AG
Casemiro!!
Mathguy64
AG
Casemiro with a header on a free kick. So that's what those kinds of goals look like.
Mathguy64
AG
Our defense is comically bad. Fortunately Chelsea's front line is worse.
Furlock Bones
AG
Field seems slippery.
Mathguy64
AG
Martial had flubbed 3 chances. Absolutely butchered them.
Furlock Bones
AG
Martial has been absolutely atrocious.

If either team could finish, we would have seen 6-8 goals by now. The defenses are still in the locker room.
Mathguy64
AG
Either Antony had a broken leg or he's a baby.
Aston94
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Our defense is comically bad. Fortunately Chelsea's front line is worse.
Hyperbole much?

EPL Standings:

Clean Sheets
1. Manchester United. 17
2. Liverpool. 14

Goals Conceded
1. Newcastle. 32
2. Man. City. 32
3. Manchester United. 41

I will take that "comically bad" defense.
Furlock Bones
AG
Looks like Rashford on for Antony.
Furlock Bones
AG
Still no replay of the tackle. WTF.
Mathguy64
AG
Twice in 10 minutes they had square balls played to open trailers across the top of the 6. Twice. And twice they failed to connect.
Mathguy64
AG
They showed it once and of course Peacock had never heard of a reverse button. I didn't see any contact on the ankle but that's clearly where he grabbed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.