Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,427 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Thunder18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting that ETH subbed Fred out but not Casemiro or Bruno who would both miss next match if they get a yellow. I understand Casemiro since he's suspended next 4 FA matches, but you'd think he'd want to give Bruno a rest
Mathguy64
AG
That was as uncompetitive a European tie as we have had in a long time.
jeffk
AG
I love how the Spanish commentators say Mar-COS Rash-FORD.
Dre_00
Now that the formality of advancing is out of the way, who's ready for the return of McFred on Sunday?
Thunder18
AG
Hoping Sabitzer is fully fit, really want to see him get more time with the team
Thunder18
AG
Sevilla in the quarterfinal. Juventus/Sporting in the semis if we win
Furlock Bones
AG
Thunder18 said:

Sevilla in the quarterfinal. Juventus/Sporting in the semis if we win

Yup. Probably the toughest route to a Europa league title ever when we include the Barca round.
Thunder18
AG
I'm just annoyed that we drew La Liga teams in 3 straight rounds. Feels like we always get drawn against Spanish sides
planoaggie123
AG
2019/2020 (europa) - Lost to Sevilla in Semis

2020/2021 (europa) - Beat Granada in Quarters / Lost to Villareal in finals

2021/2022 (champions league) - Villareal in group / Lost to Atletico in Round of 16

2022/2023 (europa) - Real Sociedad in group / Barcelona knockout round / Real Bettis Round of 16 / Sevilla Quarters TBD....

Not even close looking at history....we play far more La Liga teams than any other league.....played a few Serie A teams but just 3 since 2019.,...
Thunder18
AG
On the bright side there is a 0% chance of us losing to a Spanish side in the final if we make it
Dre_00
Forgot that Telles was on loan at Sevilla. One less LB option for Sevilla.
Thunder18
AG
Pretty rough 1st half, team just looks tired and uninterested
Furlock Bones
AG
Team is an uninspired as the fans are.
Thunder18
AG
Well we just got a triple gift. PK, red card for Willian and then Mitrovic with an astoundingly stupid red card as well
Furlock Bones
AG
Mitrovic is a complete and utter moron.
Furlock Bones
AG
gougler08
AG
Well that's a quick way to lose a game Fulham
Mathguy64
AG
Wow. Not often you see an idiot perform an act of lunacy.

Now we all get to see what kind of backbone the FA has. Striking an official should get you a very long vacation.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Not quite the hat trick you wanted to see if you're Fulham
jeffk
AG
Mitrovic apparently watched a little too much film on Bruno this week.
Dre_00
I really want to know what Marco Silva said to deserve a red card before the ref even looked at the monitor.

****ty performance really which is becoming more common. Read elsewhere that this was United's 25th game in 88 days…game every 3.5 days for a squad that is not built for that. At this point, I just want to hold on to top 4. Everything else is gravy though maybe we can stumble into a 2nd trophy with some luck.
Mathguy64
AG
For anyone who missed it this is the full sequence of events. I don't know how long it will stay up.

Willian knows what's he's doing and it's no question that's DOGSO-H. Mitrovic is insane. The Fulham GK is lucky and frankly Maguire is too. Watching the United trio provide a wall for Kavanagh is sad. Then watching them guard the spot is hilarious.

https://streamable.com/ikki02
Mathguy64
AG
Brighton in the FA semi final.
Aston94
AG
Fulham went from winning at Old Trafford to being tied and down to 9 men without a coach all in a matter of seconds. They collectively lost their minds there for a minute. Amazing.

What in the world was Mitrovic thinking?

I agree Dre, too many games for this club. Hopefully the international break will help some weary legs.
Furlock Bones
AG
Perfect explanation. What Bruno did was a bit petulant. Could he have been yellow carded? Yes and most would not complain. What Mitrovic did had malice. It's not just the push. He turned the head ref in order to scream in his face. Again over a completely correct call.

Thunder18
AG
Rashford withdraws from England squad this window. We definitely need him to get rested and stay healthy to finish out the season
Mathguy64
AG
I'll say it. Having just come off the WC this international break is idiotic for established international players. This could have been everyone's "camp cupcake" to evaluate new players or marginal talent. Let most everyone rest. Or use this to uncompact everyone's domestic schedule.
Dre_00
Good write up on Mohammed Kudus.

https://theathletic.com/4328046/2023/03/22/mohammed-kudus-analysis-liverpool-arsenal-transfer/?source=emp_shared_article

I didn't realize that he sees himself more as an 8 or a 10 rather than as a striker. He's predominantly played as a false 9 or winger and has scored a lot of goals from those positions. But he's strong defensively so could succeed further back.

Ajax are resigned to him leaving as he has no intention of signing a new contract. His current contract runs out in two years which means this summer is likely when Ajax can get the most value for him. Expect a 40 million GPB price tag (which seems fairly reasonable). He moved to Ajax in 2020 in spite of interest from England and Germany because he thought Ajax would be the best environment for him to develop and succeed.

All of this is to say that it seems likely he'll be a prime target this summer (or at least the rumor mill will talk like he is). He ticks virtually all the boxes and if ETH does indeed think he can succeed as an 8, he would be a big asset. The ability to play as a false 9 or on the right doesn't hurt either.
Dre_00
This feels more like a publicity stunt than a legitimate bid

Thomas Zilliacus puts in bid to buy Manchester United football club together with fans

Don't get me wrong. It's a great thought if not a realistic one (and I would argue that leaving all football decisions to the fans is not going to be the most successful way to run a club).

But valuing the club at $4 billion is going to get his bid in the nearest waste basket within seconds. Especially when it seems like both Ineos and Jassim are about to submit improved bids of about 5 billion GBP.
Dre_00
Shaw red carded in the 80th minute of the game against Italy. Come back to OT and get some rest big guy.
Dre_00
Ratcliffe and Jassim have both officially submitted revised bids for the club. I guess sometime in April we should learn if one is accepted or if the Glazers are pulling the club off the market/extending deadlines for more bids.
Thunder18
AG
(Praying kid and dog .gif)
Dre_00
The rumor is that Jassim's 2nd bid is for the 6 billion that the Glazers are supposedly holding out for. In addition, he has offered to insert a clause into the sale which would create a JV that would see the Tampa Bay Bucs play an exhibition game in Qatar...presumably with some sort of arrangement of guaranteed revenue for the Glazers.

That last rumor is from The S*n to take it for what it's worth but seems very on brand. Playing a NFL exhibition game in Qatar is a ludicrously horrible idea so I'm sure it was suggested.
Dre_00
According to Mr. Romano, Sabitzer is very happy at United and would be interested in staying permanently.

I think he's done pretty well especially given that he came in midseason and played almost immediately. I would imagine Tuchel wouldn't be too interested in keeping him, but also not sure if ETH sees him as anything other than a short term addition with other players that he'd prefer to invest in for the long term. Chances go up if it can be done cheaply (he's on a contract at Bayern till 2025), but if I had to guess, I don't think Sabitzer will be playing for United or for Bayern next season.
Thunder18
AG
McTominay with back to back braces for Scotland

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.