Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,335 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't like the sound of this one.

Furlock Bones
AG
This sounds like a Glazer wet dream.

Dre_00
Aston94 said:

I was with you until you brought race into the equation. Chelsea fans were more than happy to have a White Russian oligarch as their owner, making his billions off the public property of the Russian population.

Europeans have been told for 40 years to be inclusive and accepting of those from the Middle East, so if anything there was cultural pressure not to oppose or comment on their purchase of the big clubs initially.

Racism did not lead to the current state. A system that allowed a few to capitalize on the resources of a country did.

I think you inferred something that I never said nor intended to say. But I don't want this to devolve into a politics thread so I'll simply end by saying, my post was meant to impugn human nature (all human nature in general regardless of race, sex, religion, etc.) in general and not meant to be about race. In general, a human's morality and moral outrage doesn't seem to extend far beyond their own sphere. I used "brown" to make the difference apparent but of course the difference doesn't have to be just based on race. Could be based on income, sex, religion...anything really.
Dre_00
Wait, they are going to spend 5 billion and only get a minority stake and/or debt funding out of it? For 5 billion? This sounds more like a financing vehicle than a purchase.
Dre_00
Liverpool did us a solid. Not only did they beat Newcastle (a full 5 points clear with the same number of games played) but they got Pope sent off. Since Dubravka is cup tied having played in the League Cup for us, Newcastle has to play their 3rd string next weekend which is none other than Loris Karius. (Now watch him make 10 saves and shut us out).
Furlock Bones
AG
Dre_00 said:

Wait, they are going to spend 5 billion and only get a minority stake and/or debt funding out of it? For 5 billion? This sounds more like a financing vehicle than a purchase.

They have clarified that they don't want to takeover. They want to provide financing for either the Glazers or Ineos.

Basically they want to get their grubby little hedge fund hands into the debt service pie.
Dre_00
Yeah, that's what it sounded like. Hardest of passes.
jeffk
AG
If y'all get the Karius we got in the CL final a few years back, y'all will score six.
Furlock Bones
AG
Obviously, the glazers are going to do whatever is best for the glazers. I hate to say it. But, if the choice is Qatari money or more leveraging the Club's history and equity, give me the Qatari group. If nothing else, the club would be in a better financial situation when the Qataris sell than it will under one of these investment conglomerates.
Dre_00
Unsurprisingly, it's the return of SabiFred. Let's hope they've worked on their partnership a bit in the last week. Lindelof gets the start as does Garnacho.
Mathguy64
AG
We look awful in midfield. But this cat wearing number 10 ain't bad.
Dre_00
You know things are bad when your 6 ft 7 in forward is being played as a midfielder. SabiFred is not working yet. Rashford definitely is.
Mathguy64
AG
And we are apparently playing our RB as center forward. And he showed why he's a RB. Woof.
Mathguy64
AG
Sabitzer is lucky he's not out for 3 games. How that's not called is beyond me.
Furlock Bones
AG
This has been a frustrating AF half. Amazed we are not losing. Amazed we are not winning by 3.
Dre_00
Furlock Bones said:

This has been a frustrating AF half. Amazed we are not losing. Amazed we are not winning by 3.

That sums it up quite nicely. Weird game.
Furlock Bones
AG
Another missed goal.
Mathguy64
AG
Why is our 5'-10" CB taking free headers instead of our 6'-7" center forward? I have no clue what Weghorst does out there.
Furlock Bones
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Why is our 5'-10" CB taking free headers instead of our 6'-7" center forward? I have no clue what Weghorst does out there.

You've got me. Weghorst trying a bicycle kick with the ball 2 ft off the ground is just the chefs kiss.
Furlock Bones
AG
Fred with an actual great pass and Rashford scores!
Mathguy64
AG
Was there any doubt that when he got that ball he was scoring? Any at all? You are lying if you said yes.
Dre_00
Weghorst had more tackles than any other player in the 1st half (on either team). He wasn't really even playing as a forward. He doesn't do what you expect a tall center forward to do but I thought he did what was needed and what was asked of him.
Mathguy64
AG
Ok. That was very well done. Rashford to Sancho to Bruno to Sancho to net.
Furlock Bones
AG
What a play. What a finish. Glory glory Man United!
Dre_00
Ten Hag's HT adjustments...brilliant.
Mathguy64
AG
Now get Rashford off and save 30' on his legs.
Mathguy64
AG
LC is playing a suicidally high line. At some point you have to say "let's not give up 4".
Dre_00
Still early days but Sancho seems to be turning into the player we thought he might be. He's been fantastic since coming on. If ETH can get all of that talent out of him, it will be like adding another world class player in the transfer market.
Mathguy64
AG
Weirdest stat line of the season. 15 W, 5 L and a +13 GD. You have to work to pull that off.
Dre_00
What a 2nd half. Could have scored 5 or 6 in the 2nd half alone. 7 points in 3 games without Casemiro isn't bad even if the opponents were below average.

Arguably the 2 biggest games of the season (thus far) coming up next.
Furlock Bones
AG
Have to stand up and clap for DDG. He kept the lid on Leicester early.

Magnificent second half performance by the whole squad.
Mathguy64
AG
Dre_00 said:

It can't get any worse can it? (It probably can)

Help us Erik ten Hag, you're our only hope.

Quote:

From the club so take it with a grain of salt. What I will say is that I don't think he's going to have a high tolerance or any patience for any ****ing around from the players. He has a way he wants to do things and he demands high effort and high commitment. Get on board or get out.

I'm just putting this here for posterity. These were 2 of the first 5 posts on the thread. This Dre dude seemed to know something was up.
Dre_00
Furlock Bones said:

Have to stand up and clap for DDG. He kept the lid on Leicester early.

Magnificent second half performance by the whole squad.

I had to step away from the TV for 10 minutes and missed his save on Iheanacho's header. An absurd save (and the early one one Barnes was fantastic as well). For all of his flaws, he's still capable of making the most ridiculous saves.
Dre_00
Even the blind squirrel finds a nut
Dre_00
I thought this was a great article detailing what Weghorst brings. Yes, I'd prefer if my forwards scored more than he does. He's not a fantastic finisher by any stretch. But he does bring a lot to the team and he impacts the game in a lot of other ways beyond scoring. He has his flaws to be sure but he was an asset yesterday, especially in the 1st half, and filled a big hole in the team.

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-man-utd-better-workhorse-weghorst-ronaldo-ten-hag-genius

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.