Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,557 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well the good news is we will be facing an opponent in the semifinals that is fighting for their EPL lives so we should see a lot of squad rotation from then as well.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Wout Weghorst is nearly confirmed. Romano "here we go" ed it so as good as done. Biggest question is whether it's done in time for him to make the bench against City (if ETH desires it).

People are going to poo poo this move especially the optics of taking a player from Besiktas/Burnley but I have no issues with this. You're not realistically going to get an elite striker in January especially considering the club is currently looking for new investment/owners. Realistically, we were only going to be able to squad depth but nothing "elite". Given that and the fact that ETH presumably knows Wout fairly well, and this makes a lot of sense especially if you aren't expecting miracles.

I remember watching Weghorst at Burnley last season and being impressed. That was a bad team and he looked pretty good in the moments I could remember.

He is something we don't have (a big possessing 9) and is a tool that is good to have in your bag. For $3 million sounds like a risk worth taking.
Dre_00
Everyone knows domestic cups are the girls you like but pretend not to when they say they aren't that into you.
Furlock Bones
AG
Joao Felix got sent off with a straight red in his Chelsea debut. His 4 month absurdly expensive loan becomes a 3 monther.
Dre_00
Never understood the segment of fans who were upset we didn't pay an absurd amount for a player that 1) would be here a max of 4 months and 2) isn't a real 9 that, in spite of his talent, doesn't address our biggest gap right now.

Is Felix a better player than Wout? Certainly. Does he fill our roster deficiencies more? Certainly not.
Dre_00
Article is behind a paywall but still lots of information in 280 characters.

Dre_00
Dalot is apparently injured so strap on your boots for a AWB start tomorrow.

Martial is questionable. If he can't go, I'm guessing Rashford at forward, Bruno at left winger, Eriksen, Casemiro and Fred in midfield.

And VdB is out for the rest of the season.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Just saw the VDB news. Kid just can't catch a break. I was really excited to see him get some run recently. He looked rusty but was super aggressive. Felt like he could settle in.

Bummer on Dalot but honestly I didn't think AWB looked that bad the last couple of matches . But I'd be curious with Dalot hurt if ETH does trot out Malacia or Shaw on the right instead of AWB.
----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
Aston94
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Just saw the VDB news. Kid just can't catch a break. I was really excited to see him get some run recently. He looked rusty but was super aggressive. Felt like he could settle in.

Bummer on Dalot but honestly I didn't think AWB looked that bad the last couple of matches . But I'd be curious with Dalot hurt if ETH does trot out Malacia or Shaw on the right instead of AWB.
AWB has been playing pretty consistently, and playing well, on the right, I can't imagine hime moving Shaw or Malacia over there.

We might go with a 3 man back line, especially if Martial is not available. I could see:

---------------Varane-----Martinez-----Shaw----------------------

AWB----------------------------------------------------Malacia

---------------Casemiro--------Eriksen-----------------------

--------------------Fernandez------------------------------

-----------Antony-----------Rashford-------------
Thunder18
AG
Dre_00 said:

Dalot is apparently injured so strap on your boots for a AWB start tomorrow.

Martial is questionable. If he can't go, I'm guessing Rashford at forward, Bruno at left winger, Eriksen, Casemiro and Fred in midfield.

And VdB is out for the rest of the season.

I don't love Bruno on the wings, would rather give Garnacho a shot on the wing and leave Fred on the bench, but since it's the derby I imagine ETH wants to try to keep them from putting in 6 on us again.
Dre_00
I don't love Bruno on the wings either but apparently ETH isn't averse to it. Martial starts but Bruno still on the wing at the expense of Antony

--------------Martial--------------

--Rashford---------------Bruno

--------------Eriksen-------------

---------Fred--Casemiro------

Malacia-Shaw-Varane-AWB

Really starting to wonder about this Shaw at CB stuff at the expense of Lisandro.
Dre_00
Interesting to see Mainoo on the bench in such a big game. I doubt he'll play a role but still an interesting sign. Suggests that we might see more of him for the rest of the season.
Dre_00
City's front 6...my god that's scary.
Dre_00
ETH's pregame comments suggest that Lisandro's relative lack of play during the WC is still keeping him from the same minutes he was getting pre-WC.
Mathguy64
AG
Just wait until the Glazers sell to some branch/twig of an oil emirate. Then we too will have unlimited funds with which to purchase our own cyborg.
Mathguy64
AG
That's some dark arts by Walker. He scissored Malacia while they were moving.
Mathguy64
AG
Ugh. That looked like the reaction of a man who pulled a muscle.
Mathguy64
AG
That's a solid half. The cyborg only touched it twice and the counter was really effective. It would help if we were not so left sided.
gougler08
AG
Thought United were the better team in that half
Dre_00
Tactically that was very interesting. But not exactly the most exciting half of football. Don't think I've ever seen City look so impotent and definitely haven't seen United do that to them before. They really created absolutely nothing. United didn't create much but did have 2-3 above average chances.

Rashford didn't look like a player who could start the 2nd half. I'm guessing Antony on for him but could go Garnacho. Bruno and Rashford seemed to switch sides on occasion. If you want to keep that option, I'm guessing Garnacho is the preferred option.
Mathguy64
AG
gougler08 said:

Thought United were the better team in that half
Certainly the better chances and they did a very good job shutting City down defensively. City may have 5 superstars up front but the defensive 5 are much more pedestrian.
Dre_00
Antony comes on for Martial and appears to be playing at forward rather than Rashford.
Mathguy64
AG
City is really having Walker press high trying to get one more body forward.
Dre_00
City seeing a lot more of the ball (like 80% of it) and more worringly it's much further up the pitch. Finding a lot more space and we appear to be dropping further and further back to play long ball counters.
Dre_00
And City scores
Mathguy64
AG
That goal has been coming. They have been throwing everyone but Emerson forward.
Furlock Bones
AG
Yep that was coming. United did not convert their chances in the 1st half.
Showstopper
AG
Dang. Flop boy comes and scores.
Mathguy64
AG
That's a flop by Grealish. He drug his toe to go down.
Mathguy64
AG
At the professional level that's a goal.
Furlock Bones
AG
Bruno!!!!!!!!
Thunder18
AG
Great awareness by Rashford to not touch the ball there...and a great finish by Bruno
Dre_00
Maybe I don't know the offside rules anymore but I think we struck the lottery with that decision. I'll take it but...I'd be livid if I was a City fan.
Thunder18
Mathguy64
AG
Holy ***** Rashford may be the hottest player on the planet right now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.