Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,618 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And down goes Liverpool. Win tomorrow against Bournemouth while Saud United and Arsenal beat each other up. That would cap a dream holiday set.
Thunder18
AG
Another day, another Rashford goal, another win while our nearest rivals drop points. Great to see Shawberto Carlos back in action today
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Outside of about 10-15 minutes where the defense was on their heels, hey were never really threatened. DeGea had to make a couple pretty saves and Slabhead and Lindelof both made a couple bonehead plays per usual but thankfully didn't bite us in the ass. Casemiro is just effortlessly badass, glad he got his. Shaw workman like and all over the pitch. And AWB looked solid (although he still goes to ground far too often for my liking) . Should have probably had 2 more at least.
----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
Dre_00
De Gea had to make way too many good saves for my liking because Maguire and Lindelof were meh at best but hard to complain about a 3-0 win. Shaw was outstanding. Could not have asked for a better post WC start. 9 points in 3 games without playing your 2 favored CBs together. Teams all around us dropped points.

In 4th…5 points ahead of Spurs and 8 ahead of Liverpool. Even on points with Newcastle but have a game in hand. Next 2 league games are huuuuge…City at home and Arsenal away.
Thunder18
AG
I'd love nothing more than to beat the snot out of both teams, but I would be happy splitting points and not letting the robot and ****boi foden score hattricks against us again
Dre_00
Scratch that. 7 points clear of Liverpool.

Yeah, winning both of those games seems highly unlikely. But never expected those two games to be top 4 clashes.
Aston94
AG
Hope Verane and Martinez can play this weekend in FA Cup so they are ready for the big games coming up.

Maguire needs to move on. He plays so much better for England than he does for Man U, I think he and team really need a fresh start.
Dre_00
Feel like tonight is a bit of a trap game. Everton will probably come out hyper focused and motivated to atone for that outing against Brighton. Think we'll see a return to our preferred lineup though it sounds like Martial may not start.
Aston94
AG
If the trap gets us out of the FA Cup then I am willing to live with that. With League Cup, Europa League and EPL all on the schedule I am fine with an early exit from the FA Cup.

I would expect Martinez and Varane to be together in central midfield, but after that, given our busy schedule the next two weeks, I wouldn't mind an off day for some of the CM and Shaw. Also give a few of the younger wingers some game time, Sancho has to play at some point right?
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
tv - espnplus?
Aston94
AG
Yes
Aston94
AG
Lineup today suggests ETH wants to go for FA Cup. You are right, basically starting 11 other than Martinez.
Thunder18
AG
Rashford with the assist. Keep it up lad
Thunder18
AG
Ooof De Gea with an absolute howler. He was due one, just glad it happened here and not in a league match
Aston94
AG
If De Gea only could use his hands...oh wait.
Thunder18
AG
Rashford in cheat code mode right now
Dre_00
ETH has been virtually perfect but starting to get tired of these makeshift backlines. Maybe he's trying to give Martinez extra rest through this run of relatively easier games...and I'm glad that Shaw seems to be a more than adequate option at CB but please...

Shaw - Martinez - Varane - Dalot

That's our backline. Enough with the nonsense.
Mathguy64
AG
The strange deal for me is Shaw/Casemiro at CB over Maguire or Lindelof. He's literally starting non CBs over actual ones. And I'll say again, Maguire played very well in the WC.
Aston94
AG
I am happy to try a back 3 like we did there at the end and, if the opponent is going to sit back in a shell, to have Shaw in the middle and give us more of an attacking option. Varane is not the most durable of backs, so having another central option is good with me.

Good win, and they keep the momentum going. Now on to the League Cup and then bring on citeh next weekend.
Dre_00
Maguire did play well at the WC but he still doesn't look comfortable or very good in ETH's system. He's good for at least 3-4 bad plays/passes in a game. Simple mistakes. Lindelof seems more capable when he's paired with someone not named Maguire. Maguire just seems to lack any confidence when he wears red. If we have new owners and/or a sizable transfer budge in the summer, I'll be very surprised if he doesn't move along elsewhere.
Thunder18
AG
So...are we about to loan Wout Weghorst?
Dre_00
It would appear so. Glazers ain't spending any money on this team unless they get some minority investment. Here's hoping that all moves fast or else summer transfer window will be brutal.
Dre_00
In other news, home to Reading in the 4th round of the FA Cup. And the Prem decided to take schedule our make up game against Palace in the middle of the week between City and Arsenal. Yay.
Aston94
AG
Given ETH played a pretty strong side for the FA Cup match, and host citeh this weekend, are we expecting more of the back ups to play in this game?

Elanga? Sancho? McTominay? Fred?
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
probably. although probably not Sancho. he may get subbed in but i doubt he starts since he just returned to training. Bruno has to sit bc of cards. we probably would have seen VDB start but he got hurt yet again. might start Maguire again, try and get another good performance out of him to increase his transfer value.
----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
Aston94
AG
That's right on Sancho. Forgot about his injury.
Dre_00
Aston94 said:

Given ETH played a pretty strong side for the FA Cup match, and host citeh this weekend, are we expecting more of the back ups to play in this game?

Elanga? Sancho? McTominay? Fred?

Mostly reserves. The big surprise is 17 year old Kobbie Mainoo gettingt he start in midfield. Elanga appears to be starting at forward. Martinez and Antony seem to be the only starters in the lineup.
Aston94
AG
1-0 at half, could have been 3-4 to 0. Dominated possession as expected.
Dre_00
Unsurprisingly, the play in the final third was subpar. Lived a little dangerously leaving the 2nd goal so late. A real Captain Obvious statement but a top striker would do wonders for this team.

On to City on Saturday. We've kind of done the bare minimum the last 5 games against weaker opposition. Will need a significantly better performance this weekend if we want to compete against City.
Dre_00
Well well well...Southampton goes and beats City in the League Cup QFs. Gives United their best chance at a trophy in years. It's cup football so nothing is guaranteed but United would be at worst even money against Newcastle and favorites against Forest or Southampton.
Dre_00
And it's Forest in the semis.
Aston94
AG
Perfect. Couldn't ask for a better opportunity to win a trophy.
Dre_00
Wout Weghorst is nearly confirmed. Romano "here we go" ed it so as good as done. Biggest question is whether it's done in time for him to make the bench against City (if ETH desires it).

People are going to poo poo this move especially the optics of taking a player from Besiktas/Burnley but I have no issues with this. You're not realistically going to get an elite striker in January especially considering the club is currently looking for new investment/owners. Realistically, we were only going to be able to squad depth but nothing "elite". Given that and the fact that ETH presumably knows Wout fairly well, and this makes a lot of sense especially if you aren't expecting miracles.
Dre_00
Aston94 said:

Perfect. Couldn't ask for a better opportunity to win a trophy.

Agreed though what was once a relatively calm January schedule has now turned into a complete CF with the Crystal Palace rescheduled game and the home/away format of the Carabao SFs.

We'll play 9 games in January with no more than a 4 day gap between games. There's only a 2 day gap between Arsenal away in the league and the 1st leg of the LC semis. ETH will definitely be keeping his squad rotation policy for the foreseeable future and I'm curious to see how he manages those 2 games given the importance of both.

jeffk
AG
I look forward to digging up everyone's dismissive comments about domestic cup trophies from last season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.