Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,342 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://deadline.com/2022/11/apple-considering-takeover-of-manchester-united-reports-1235181557/
Dre_00
I don't even know what that would look like.
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah. Apple isn't buying ManU. They could. Out of petty cash they scratch up out of the couch. But they aren't.

Now will Apple buy Disney? That's a possibility.
jeffk
AG
Missed opportunity for iRon.
ColoradoMooseHerd
What to make of possible Pulisic to MU rumor

Christian Pulisic has made telling Man Utd admission as he's eyed to replace Cristiano Ronaldo - Mirror Online
La Bamba
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Yeah. Apple isn't buying ManU. They could. Out of petty cash they scratch up out of the couch. But they aren't.

Now will Apple buy Disney? That's a possibility.

I hope they don't cause I put a couple shares short on $MANU today
Thunder18
AG
Red Devils scoring in the World Cup today, you love to see it
Aston94
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

What to make of possible Pulisic to MU rumor

Christian Pulisic has made telling Man Utd admission as he's eyed to replace Cristiano Ronaldo - Mirror Online
It's interesting, because I don't see him being the 9 they would want and need in CR's place, and they have plenty of left and right wings, so not sure why Pulisic would be the type player they would want to take CR's position on the team.
Dre_00
The Pulisic rumor has been talked back a bit as it now sounds like he wants to stay at Chelsea. I'm not sure why he would so it could all be a bunch of BS, but either way, I don't think Pulisic at United makes any sense at all. He's clearly not a tactical replacement for Ronaldo in any shape or form. He's a winger which means for him to play, he either displaces Sancho and Rashford on the left (and Rashford likely becomes primarily a forward) or he displaces Antony on the right.

If he plays on the left, then there you're putting Rashford in a position that isn't his best and there are not enough games to go around to keep Sancho, Pulisic, Garnacho, and Elanga happy. Left doesn't make any sense at all.

Right makes a little more sense as really it's Antony at the moment at that's about it though Sancho, Rashford, etc. could play there...but they don't. And the reason why they don't is the same reason why Pulisic doesn't make sense there. ETH seems to prefer his wingers to cut inside with their dominant foot to allow space for attack fullbacks to run into. Pulisic is right footed and doesn't fit that mold.
Dre_00
We play a game today! Friendly against Cadiz. Another friendly Saturday against Real Betis.

So there's that.
Dre_00
So our starting CBs are going to be playing the entire WC. Who's ready for the return of Lindelof/Maguire against Burnley in a week and a half?
Mathguy64
AG
I will say that I thought the best player for England against us was none other than one Harry Maguire.
Dre_00
He did play pretty well during the parts I watched. Don't think he can be blamed for Giroud's goal. Definitely better than recent United performances. Perhaps this has enabled to mentally correct himself a bit.
Aston94
AG
Allowing us to get more value for him in the January window !

Time for him and United to move on.
Mathguy64
AG
Unless you get a quality CB who is coming in there is no way they they can do that. The fixture list is too big and too compact to move him. At some point warm bodies are important.
jeffk
AG
Giroud is far to handsome to be denied there.
Aston94
AG
I would prefer a young CB at good value that can be trained and developed behind Martinez and Varan.
Dre_00
Yeah, I don't see Maguire moving in January especially as Varane isn't the most durable center back in the world. Would leave us way too thin at CB.
Dre_00
Joao Felix is likely to leave Atleti soon...possibly even January. But they'll want 100 million for him apparently and that's a big no from me. I actually think he could be worth that price at some point but that is an insane price for a player who predominantly starts on the bench and didn't score his first league goal this season until nearly November. I would insist Madrid take a loss of at least 30 million just out of principle.
Thunder18
AG
Hope we are looking at Josko Gvardiol, he has been playing great for Croatia. Would be a great young CB to pick up
deadbq03
AG
Thunder18 said:

Hope we are looking at Josko Gvardiol, he has been playing great for Croatia. Would be a great young CB to pick up
Leipzig fan here.

Supposedly both Manchester clubs and Chelsea have approached, and Bayern is also preparing a bid. Chelsea has been engaged with him for quite some time. It was widely accepted that he wouldn't be sold this window, but that may change… price is going to be obscene if he moves this window because the latest rumor involving Chelsea was a 90M Euro offer for summer 23 window.

We've shipped off Upamecano (Bayern) and Konate (Liverpool) over the past few years. Gvardiol is the best of the 3 IMO. Not quite as physically gifted as the other two (but it's really close), but his mental attributes are vastly superior.
Dre_00
World Cup ends...3 days later United has a League Cup against Burnley. This is all super wierd.
Dre_00
Bruno and Casemiro start. A little surprised by that. What's more surprising is that it appears McTominay will be partnering with Lindelof at CB. He plays there for Scotland but...this could get interesting. And not in a good way.
Dre_00
Apparently Maguire is ill so this is definitely an emergency situation. Giddy-up.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Bruno and Casemiro start. A little surprised by that. What's more surprising is that it appears McTominay will be partnering with Lindelof at CB. He plays there for Scotland but...this could get interesting. And not in a good way.
Well the fact he has played before definitely helps. And against a club like Burnley where United will have the vast majority of possession against a club in a low block, could be beneficial to have another quality passer on the field.
Dre_00
Kompany has them playing the exact opposite of what you expect Burnley to play. Haven't seen much of a low block and doubt we will.
Dre_00
AWB with a flying karate kick volley cross that is inch perfect for Eriksen's midfield run so that he can smash it in. Where was that been Aaron?
Thunder18
akm91
AG
Dre_00 said:

Well they did have some unexpected extra rest.
Dre_00
Rashford with a 65 yard solo run that ends with a howitzer across the face of goal and into the bottom corner. No big deal.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Kompany has them playing the exact opposite of what you expect Burnley to play. Haven't seen much of a low block and doubt we will.
Looks like Casemiro is playing the CD role and McTominay in the holding mid role. Burnley is definitely playing higher than I would have anticipated.
Dre_00
They high press. They play out of the back. So weird to see Burnley do that after a decade of Dyche ball.
Dre_00
Here's hoping that De Gea doesn't get hurt because Dubrovka has looked hooooooooorible. Which is impressive considering how little he's actually been asked to do.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

They high press. They play out of the back. So weird to see Burnley do that after a decade of Dyche ball.
Weird for sure.

I appreciate they did run a high press, made game much more entertaining, and I think was better for United to face that style as they get ready for the return of the EPL.
Aston94
AG
Merry Christmas!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmjNzcUqKyp/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.