Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,431 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dre_00 said:

It's like you and Barca are in a football version of Freaky Friday.

Barca are those two jagoffs in Better call Saul that got his half off coupons. So they go on a massive meth fueled bender of destruction. "Half off legal services!"
Furlock Bones
AG
If he plays Eriksen deep again, he might as well not play him at all.
Dre_00
Furlock Bones said:

Yes we are overpaying. But I love this signing. Casemiro is class. He does the dirty work and does it without getting sent off.

I just wish we had pursued this straight away instead of the classic last minute scramble.

If you ignore the fee, the primary concern is age and he is not the type of player that ETH said he wanted. But maybe after the first two games, ETH has realized that he can't afford a player like FdJ in the deep midfield role because the defense is an utter shambles. But I don't know how Casemiro helps United play out of the back like ETH wants to prioritize.

I guess we'll see what happens but maybe he hit the realization that he needs a deep lying destroyer in midfield paired with a slightly further forward possession based passer. He didn't seem to indicate that as part of his initial plan but I'm guessing he's going that way now.
Dre_00
If he plays him paired with Fred then you're right. If he plays him paired with Martinez, then maybe he gets away with it if Martinez can just run around and **** **** up in the space directly in front of the center back while finding the playmakers with quick passes.

If he pairs Fred with Martinez, I think we'll all know he's going counter ball or looking for a 0-0. I wouldn't necessarily blame him given the way the team started the first 2 games and getting humped by Liverpool in your 3rd game would be a bad look. But as bad as it would look, it doesn't do much for the long term success of your tactical vision if you're willing to abandon it after 2 games. I don't think he can go toe to toe with Liverpool but he can't completely abandon his philosophies either.
Furlock Bones
AG
He just turned 30. If we get 3 good years, then contract was worth it.
Dre_00
Not so much worried about the contract but rather the fee. Let's hope his talent doesn't suffer from the United Swoon.
aggieeducator
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Dre_00 said:

How many weeks ago was it that we were definitely "buying de Jong"? While other clubs get stuff done ahead of time, we are always screwing around until the end.

Huh?
Aston94
AG
Did United overpay? Yes.
Is is a position of need? Absolutely.
Is he a stop gap? Yes, he is a 3 year stop gap at the 6, but he is a great stop gap.

Good signing, wish it had been done in June so we wouldn't have been over the barrel for transfer fees and so he could have worked with the club in off season training, but definitely makes the club better.
Dre_00
After Ajax rejected an 80 million pound bid for Antony, it appears they are instead going to go for Gakpo for less than half that.

Would rather have Antony but that is a hella steep price.
Dre_00
Dre_00
Bailly looks to be heading to Marseille with an option to buy. Just has to agree to personal terms.
Dre_00
So apparently Antony has missed the last 2 trainings (not due to any injury) and there's a strong chance he won't be selected for Sparta Rotterdam. When asked if he could say that he would be an Ajax player this season he replied "No I can't."

Mathguy64
AG
Ok! It's all set up for tomorrow. Lose and take over the bottom of the table on GD. We can do this!
Dre_00
I thoroughly enjoyed watching the EPL today. Shame it has to all come to an end tomorrow.
jeffk
AG
What's this I hear about protesting fans trying to get the match postponed?
Aston94
AG
jeffk said:

What's this I hear about protesting fans trying to get the match postponed?
Man United "fans" make me not want to be a Man United fan. Between them and the terrible management I am about done.
Dre_00
Maguire benched for Martinez and Varane pairing.* Malacia for Shaw.* Rashford starts over Ronaldo.* (I'm guessing Martial is not match fit?...I'd put him on before Ronaldo if I'm honest).

* Assuming the game actually happens
Mathguy64
AG
It's the Battle of the Winless *******s. No way this doesn't happen.
Mathguy64
AG
Watching the pre match show and the interview with EtH. This is a full on disfunctional **** show.
Mathguy64
AG
Ok. I admit I wasn't near a TV to watch the first two matches. This is my first time.

So far I have to say this is not what I expected. Is it as simple as "No Maguire and no CR7"?
Thunder18
AG
We haven't looked this good at any time in the first two matches
Mathguy64
AG
I mean this is quick precision passing to open spots. It's movement on defense. There is a chippiness. Sancho and Rashford each have had very good runs.
Dre_00
Mathguy64 said:

Ok. I admit I wasn't near a TV to watch the first two matches. This is my first time.

So far I have to say this is not what I expected. Is it as simple as "No Maguire and no CR7"?
Not that simple but Maguire's absence is probably helping. ETH pretty much said that Maguire isn't starting because he's too slow and can't pass.
jeffk
AG
Not to take anything away from y'all because you're definitely deserving the lead, but the Milner-Hendo midfield pairing might be helping a bit.
Mathguy64
AG
That team wanted to physically beat on someone. And they did.
Dre_00
HT came at a good time. United didn't see much of the ball after the goal. But that was about as good United has looked defensively in years.
akm91
AG
Quote:

ETH pretty much said that Maguire isn't starting because he's too slow and can't pass.
Hope he's that way when he starts for the Three Lions on Nov 25
Thunder18
AG
Hey I kinda like this feeling
Mathguy64
AG
I'm shocked. Absolutely shocked.
KCup17
AG
I'm happy for Rashford. Glad his 17 games without scoring is over. Hope to see him gain some confidence now
planoaggie123
AG
I mean I totally expected this team to be up 2-0 over 60 minutes in....
Mathguy64
AG
So now we get 20 plus minutes of McFred.
Thunder18
AG
Mathguy64 said:

So now we get 20 plus minutes of McFred.

bagger05
AG
Just got out of a meeting and am very confused.
Thunder18
AG
Of course we have to make the last 10 minutes as interesting as possible

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.