Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,448 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dre_00 said:

United are looking at Pulisic on loan. Rumor is he "prefers" United even though Newcastle, Juventus, and Atletico Madrid are also interested. I usually doubt it when anyone says a player prefers United because...why in the hell would they...but United is the option that probably gets him the most playing time before Qatar with the least risk of not getting it, it's just a loan so he isn't committing himself to the **** show that is United, and if memory serves me correctly, he grew up as a Manchester United fan.

https://theathletic.com/3515717/2022/08/17/pulisic-manchester-united-transfer/

If I remember, he grew up a fan. hard to say how much that actually matters to a professional though.

I'd love to have him as an impact player for my club, but I also want Pulisic in the best scenario he can be in leading up to the World Cup
Dre_00
Not the most pressing need but I'd still put winger as a need. We don't have nearly enough options there. If all Chelsea requires is to cover his salary (and maybe a small loan fee) and he actually wants to come here, the investment/effort is more than worth it IMO.
Dre_00
Some MUFC players is probably like 80% Ronaldo.
Thunder18
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Supposedly want Casemiro from RM since the FDJ saga's neverending.

I'm sure this will go smoothly and without any issues
Aston94
AG
Mathguy64 said:

That's nice. But CP doesn't exactly fit a position of need.
False 9 would be nice for this team, other than a 37 year old who doesn't want to be here...

I prefer CP on the wing to Sancho or Rashford.

CP receiving forward passes from Bruno and Erikksen intrigues me.
akm91
AG
Dre_00 said:

It can't get any worse can it? (It probably can)

Help us Erik ten Hag, you're our only hope.
How prophetic!
Dre_00
10+ years of disappointment has taught me something.
Furlock Bones
AG
CP should absolutely take Rashfords spot on the left.
Furlock Bones
AG
Apparently there is more and more rumblings that the club truly is for sale.
Dre_00
Sancho on the left, Pulisic on the right.

I'd wait to discuss the validity of this until he was actually a United player but he'll likely never be a United player so might as well mention it now.
Furlock Bones
AG
Dre_00 said:

Sancho on the left, Pulisic on the right.

I'd wait to discuss the validity of this until he was actually a United player but he'll likely never be a United player so might as well mention it now.
I like Pulisic cutting in from the left. but, we all know this is a futile discussion.
Furlock Bones
AG
So reports coming out legal reps for United actually met to discuss full sale.
Aston94
AG
Furlock Bones said:

So reports coming out legal reps for United actually met to discuss full sale.
Please Lord, be true!!!!

Glazers always saw it as an investment, so makes sense that they would not want to be here long term.
Dre_00
I've only seen reference to Ratcliffe who was once in the running to buy Chelsea before Boehly finalized the purchase. The Times article is behind a paywall and the free link below is a little light on content but it sounds like he expressed interest "if the club is up for sale". Not sure exactly what that means but it doesn't sound like he wants to make an offer imminently.

Given what Chelsea went for, my guess is that United would go for 5 billion GBP...at least. We may suck and OT may be falling apart but the commercial arm/United brand is still bigger than Chelsea and OT is a lot bigger than Stamford Bridge.

https://www.football365.com/news/ratcliffe-confirmed-potential-buyer-man-utd-billionaire-eyes-long-term-ownership
Skitch05
AG
Elon did sell like $7B worth of stock about a week ago.....
deadbq03
AG
Pardon my intrusion on your thread:

Texaggie7nine
Me too

7nine
Dre_00
Independent is reporting that 3 different groups are exploring the purchase of the club. Meetings have occurred since May with some of the groups. Glazers could be interested in selling after seeing what Chelsea fetched (Independent is saying United would go for about $6 billion) and interest rate hikes are going to make their debt bills significantly higher when they come due.

If the Glazers can do the math that they can gain more personally by selling for $6 billion than they could by keeping the club and extracting an annual amount from it, then they might just do it.

My guess is that how interested they really are in selling could affect their transfer activities a little but probably not much from what has already been discussed.
Furlock Bones
AG
Sounds like Casemiro is gaining steam.
Dre_00
I think United have been linked with about 30 players in the last 2 days alone.
Mathguy64
AG
And 18 potential buyers.
Dre_00
Sounds like he's undergoing a medical tomorrow while United finalize the transfer fee. Will be closer to 70 million EU.

By himself, he doesn't solve the midfield problem. And I'm frankly a little worried this will be a bit like Matic but Brazilian...a player we acquired towards the end of his career who had lost a step and needed a proper partner which United never provided.

But hey...at this point, someone is better than nothing I guess.
LouisHerbertWong
AG
As a RM fan, I love Casemiro, but if the offer's anywhere near the reported amount, RM's getting away with murder (e.g., Varane, but a greater scale). I hope he plays as well for United as he did for Real.
Edit: typo
Thunder18
AG
I'm afraid this is the classic United end of window panic buy. Overpaying for a class but older player. I'm certainly not turning my nose up at him as someone who should immediately improve the team, but I definitely feel like we're getting rinsed (as usual)
Dre_00
Absolutely. The club that habitually gets rinsed even in the best of circumstances is definitely going to get super rinsed after looking like the worst team in the EPL with 2 weeks left in the transfer window.

Sidenote: it boggles my mind that Leeds paid more for Daniel James than United did. That may be the only time that United ever made a smart transfer move and I think there needs to be case study done on it. Someone should make it part of their dissertation or something. How in the world did the club with dozens of bad moves over the last decade get that one right? And has the person who authorized it at Leeds been fired yet?
Dre_00
AustinAg2012 said:

As a RM fan, I love Casemiro, but if the offer's anywhere near the reported amount, RM's getting away with murder (e.g., Varane, but a greater scale). I hope he plays as well from United as he did for Real.

They bought Tchouameni to be their d-mid of the future for 80 million and sold the aging d-mid he'll replace for 70 million. You're welcome.

Should at least send the Glazers some chocolates or something as a thank you.
Furlock Bones
AG
Yes we are overpaying. But I love this signing. Casemiro is class. He does the dirty work and does it without getting sent off.

I just wish we had pursued this straight away instead of the classic last minute scramble.
AGC
AG
Dre_00 said:

AustinAg2012 said:

As a RM fan, I love Casemiro, but if the offer's anywhere near the reported amount, RM's getting away with murder (e.g., Varane, but a greater scale). I hope he plays as well from United as he did for Real.

They bought Tchouameni to be their d-mid of the future for 80 million and sold the aging d-mid he'll replace for 70 million. You're welcome.

Should at least send the Glazers some chocolates or something as a thank you.

Helping us with roster management by clearing up our crowded MF situation too.

However, this is a better buy than Ronaldo when we sold to Juve by far. He's a leader and doesn't complain publicly about much. More life left on his legs. Wish him the best at United.
Furlock Bones
AG
As a RM fan as well, It's a bit surreal that RM has become the levelheaded club when it comes to transfer business.
Furlock Bones
AG
LouisHerbertWong
AG
Kinda in shock this actually happened, especially that quickly. All the best, Casemiro. Keep crushing Liverpool's dreams!
Furlock Bones
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Kinda in shock this actually happened, especially that quickly. All the best, Casemiro. Keep crushing Liverpool's dreams!

United boards think the Glazers got this done fast to stop the protests on Monday.
jeffk
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

I'll be honest, I got a little PTSD seeing this.
Dre_00
It's like you and Barca are in a football version of Freaky Friday.
Dre_00
Rumor is that ETH had Martinez in a d-mid role in training this week. I really hope so. That's definitely not his best/preferred position but he can play it. And I bet he can't play it any worse than what we've thrown out there in recent times. If it's true, I'm guessing he pairs him with Eriksen to try and keep some semblance of his tactical preference. Or maybe he does what every other United manager has done and scraps his preferred tactics for something that can get a result...in which case it might be Fred instead of Eriksen.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.