Any Tesla Model 3 or Y owners on here?

177,842 Views | 1384 Replies | Last: 45 min ago by Guitarsoup
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is definitely not a default setting of the car. My navigation will happily have me arriving at single digit values. I don't like that so I will adjust to provide buffer. Arrive at percentage is an as needed setting on specific end points. If you don't need it and it's active I would suggest hitting change arrival percentage on the route planner and hit clear.
.
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hph6203 said:

It is definitely not a default setting of the car. My navigation will happily have me arriving at single digit values. I don't like that so I will adjust to provide buffer. Arrive at percentage is an as needed setting on specific end points. If you don't need it and it's active I would suggest hitting change arrival percentage on the route planner and hit clear.


The car is setting it on a per trip basis with different numbers for each trip. Interestingly enough yesterday I drove to downtown Houston for a meeting, from there to IAH to pick up my grandmother and from there home. On the first two it had arrival energy settings way higher than I would set and let me arrive below both of them without charging. On the third I didn't think to check the setting but it sent me to Navasota to charge with the estimate to arrive at 8%. Usually when I leave IAH around 30% it sends me to a station pretty close to the airport before sending me home. Point though is all day it ignored its own floor because I doubt it was comfortable arriving in Navasota at 8%. By the way that decision was almost catastrophic as the rain and wind made the car A LOT less efficient and we ended up arriving in Navasota at 1% having driven the final 15 miles at 50 MPH and the last 2 miles on 1%.

I asked Grok about the change and it confirmed that it's a July update where the car is trying to manage more than just your trip including driving style, other stops it sees in your calendar, etc. not sure I like that but it might explain the behavior yesterday as I would been late to the meeting had I stopped to charge so it didn't recommend a charge despite knowing I would arrive below the 40% it wanted. For the IAH trip similar circumstances, my calendar knew my grandmother was flying in and landing at 525 and I was running late so even though I arrived below the 35% it wanted it didn't ask me to stop. That doesn't explain the Navasota vs Louetta decision but still I'm curious if that's what they're aiming for. Still not sure I like it but we'll see how it plays out.

When I've tried to adjust for a specific drive clear wasn't an option, by the way. Grok suggested I remove charging stops but to me that's not a good answer. The ability to say "get me home safely but not with 30%" is a great option. Replacing it with "I'll manage my own charging stops" isn't as useful obviously.
"The goal of socialism is communism." - Vladimir Lenin
CyAg86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw a you tube video that said there is a built in buffer, when it shows 0% charge you still have approx 30-50 miles remaining. I wouldn't try to see if that is true but I believe there is a buffer just like most autos.
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There is no universal set arrival percentage. Every route is recalculated based upon a default route planner. When you navigated home it used the default planner. The reason the setting is changing is because the minimum adapts to the current estimated arrival percentage for that route and the only time it can be set below the estimate is if charging is included in the current route. Your route to Houston had an arrival percentage of 40% with no charging hence you couldn't set it below the 40%.

Essentially what happens is the planner calculates your arrival percentage + reduction from a future drive to the nearest supercharger. If that doesn't meet a minimum threshold then a charging stop gets added (seems like the minimum is 5%, might be higher but it's definitely not lower). The minimum charging stop is 5 minutes, which at low charge is essentially 20% of the battery.

Basically you navigated home, the arrival percentage was something like 6%, if you live 3 miles from a supercharger it would result in an at supercharger remaining battery below 5% even though your destination arrival is an acceptable 6%. Because the minimum stop is 5 minutes you now have an estimated arrival of 26% instead of 6%. This is where you can use the set arrival percentage to negate the charging stop by setting an arrival percentage of 5%. The planner does not consider whether your home has charging.



Essentially the setting is allowing you to tell the planner you want fewer charging stops or shorter stops if charging is in the planner by setting the percentage below the estimate, or alternatively tell the planner you want more charging stops whether there's charging in the planned route or not.




I'll add that the planner actually doesn't consider future trips in your calendar when planning routes. It only considers the current planned drive. Grok is hallucinating that likely from two additions in the July update.

The July update added the ability to set an arrival percentage in the app and transmit it to the car. It also added a feature where the car will occasionally guess your intended destination as well as occasionally an alternate. In other words if you work from one office MWF and another on TTh and leave at 7:30 every morning it will have the MWF office pre-navigated to when you get in the car on MWF and the other office on TTh. It will pre-navigate Home at quitting time on all days.
.
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's more like 10-20 miles and usually closer to the low end of that range.
.
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ordered my new Model Y last night for pickup at the mothership in Austin. Cannot wait to get this full self driving show on the road!
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been flipped off at least 3-4 times since Friday simply for being in a cybertruck lmao
JAW3336
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man people are stupid.
Attack life, It's going to kill you anyway!
SCHTICK00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Speed said:

Been flipped off at least 3-4 times since Friday simply for being in a cybertruck lmao

Same. And every bro in his deleted diesel wants wants to race and blow smoke on you. I just laugh as they waste $6.00 diesel
PMD03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I reached 33,600 miles in my Model 3 Performance. Completed my first battery test and it is at 88%. Rarely do any supercharging. Typical South Texas high temp driving.
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
.
Dad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am thinking about trading in my truck for a Tesla. I have a 2021 Sierra AT4 and I have a little over a year left on the extended warranty and this model has had a lot of major problems that get really expensive to fix. We are spending around $900 a month in gasoline for three vehicles/three drivers and according to chatgpt I would save more money in fuel costs than my payment ($270) would be on the model y.

We are thinking about getting one with the wall charger in our garage and using it for any longer day trips where we have enough range to not need a to charge away from home.

I think my wife and I would love the supervised FSD. My truck doesn't have the technology package so it doesn't even adjust speed for me in cruise control or have automatic emergency braking.

We are doing a test drive soon. Please tell me why this is a good or bad idea.
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dad said:

I am thinking about trading in my truck for a Tesla. I have a 2021 Sierra AT4 and I have a little over a year left on the extended warranty and this model has had a lot of major problems that get really expensive to fix. We are spending around $900 a month in gasoline for three vehicles/three drivers and according to chatgpt I would save more money in fuel costs than my payment ($270) would be on the model y.

We are thinking about getting one with the wall charger in our garage and using it for any longer day trips where we have enough range to not need a to charge away from home.

I think my wife and I would love the supervised FSD. My truck doesn't have the technology package so it doesn't even adjust speed for me in cruise control or have automatic emergency braking.

We are doing a test drive soon. Please tell me why this is a good or bad idea.



I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 with over 100k miles now. For all my daily driving and short trips, it has been wonderful. The maintenance has been beyond easy. Basically just tires. I've had to replace the small 12v battery twice just like any other car (when under warranty, Tesla covers it and just sent a person to my house to swap it out for free.) Other than that, I had a recall fixed for free within an hour and a $2 A/C sensor (plus labor).

I actually haven't put in a permanent charger and have used the same mobile charger with a 50amp adapter the entire time. A dedicated charger will charge faster, but I haven't needed that. I think the mobile is limited to 32amp, but I usually use it at 16amp, because I plug it in to charge from ~30% to 80% and it does that fine overnight. It is cheaper to just put a 50amp plug in your garage and use a mobile charger.

For trips where you don't charge at home, the supercharger network is pretty vast now, especially compared to when I bought it. When I first bought my Tesla, I think there were two superchargers in the 220mi between my house (kingwood) and my parent's house (near Fiesta Texas.) Now there are over a dozen including at basically every Bucees. So stop at Bucees, plug in, go use the restroom, buy some beaver nuggets and come back out and your car is ready to go. I use it regularly within the Texas triangle, but honestly rarely drive outside of the Dallas-SA-Houston area, so don't have experience on longer road trips. I know people that have gone coast to coast with it. Longest I have done is Houston to NOLA.

The FSD is fantastic, especially for my commute (Kingwood to Med Center - 32mi each way.) You just set it and forget it in stop and go traffic and it does everything else for you.

On my model 3, the power consumption is about 1kWh for 4 miles driven. You can shop for power plans with free power after 7pm and when you get home, schedule it to charge then so your fuel is basically free. But if you are paying $0.10 per kWh, your cost is basically 2.5 cents per mile driven. If you are paying $4/gallon and get 16mpg, you are paying 25 cents per mile in gas. 10x more. Plus you have oil changes, brake pads, etc that you don't have to worry about with the Tesla.


If you don't have a referral code, this is mine. My dad bought a Model Y earlier this year and used it to set up a test drive then used it to buy and I think he got $50 off the car for using it for the test drive, then $200 off and 3 months of free FSD when he bought it. They change that from time to time.

https://ts.la/thomas52358

Let me know if you have other questions.
Jack Boyett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's awesome, but I'm not sure I would not have taken over if my Tesla pulled out into a red light.
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Ordered my new Model Y last night for pickup at the mothership in Austin. Cannot wait to get this full self driving show on the road!

Order placed right as the Aggie game was kicking off and this morning woke up to a text that my new car is ready to pick up on Thursday at 4 PM already. Unbelievable!
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG




Car has to have been produced after ~May 2026 for non-performance vehicles. October 2025 (I think) for performance models. You can confirm support by going to Settings > Software and then to Additional Vehicle Information (blue text) if it says PowerShare: Enabled your car has the necessary hardware.

Powerwall 3 can be leased for $35/mo when you sign up for Tesla Electric as a provider (in Texas).
.
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
.
tk for tu juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Germany is now in support of approving the use of FSD across the EU.
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After having HW4 and the latest FSD for 4 days, going back to my HW3 and FSD v12 feels like I am letting a ****** drive me around.
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My front motor randomly shut off while doing 80 on the highway.

Still under warranty until Christmas so I got that going for me
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.