Any Tesla Model 3 or Y owners on here?

174,465 Views | 1356 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by GeorgiAg
cav14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GCRanger said:

Tesla nerds, I have elderly family that is looking at getting a Tesla with FSD. They really shouldn't be driving anymore and we are trying to figure out if supervised FSD would work for them. They'd like this sooner than later given that it could be a couple years before fully unsupervised FSD cars and cybercabs are sold to the public.

Anyone gone FSD route with elderly family?

GeorgiAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GCRanger said:

Tesla nerds, I have elderly family that is looking at getting a Tesla with FSD. They really shouldn't be driving anymore and we are trying to figure out if supervised FSD would work for them. They'd like this sooner than later given that it could be a couple years before fully unsupervised FSD cars and cybercabs are sold to the public.

Anyone gone FSD route with elderly family?

My sister's FIL is in his 90s and went this route. Retired cardiologist, super healthy for a 90+ year old. Just getting to the point where reaction time and vision are an issue. I think it all depends upon the specific person.

My opinion is FSD is ready for this. If an accident happens, the rest of the family should make sure that there aren't ways for a lawyer to file a claim for negligent entrustment. I have used NE to sue family members or others who let a person who should not be driving have access to a car. (Habitual drunks, elderly, etc.) Make sure the vehicle is in their name only. You want to supervise as a family member, but don't have any type of paper trail, etc. that a lawyer would use to pin it to you. You might want to talk to a lawyer beforehand to iron all this out. Guardianship, etc.

I am a Georgia lawyer, and this is not intended to be advice - hire a local guy/gal.

I sued a family that had the keys out on a hook in their home and they had an adult kid living with them who was a really bad habitual drunk/drug user, even though they "didn't allow him" to drive. It was only to get to their insurance, not personal assets. He killed a father of 4, deacon at our church.
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Of any of y'all see a 3 or Y for sale with lifetime FSD for less than 30k please send me a link.
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Speed said:

Of any of y'all see a 3 or Y for sale with lifetime FSD for less than 30k please send me a link.


Sell you my 2018 M3 for 29.9k
GCRanger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks y'all.

Thanks GeorgiaAg on the input. Didn't even cross my mind.
07ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Speed said:

Of any of y'all see a 3 or Y for sale with lifetime FSD for less than 30k please send me a link.

Sell you my 2018 M3 for 29.8k
https://ts.la/eric59704
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sheeeeeeeeeiiiiit
tk for tu juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2021 MY performance with 84k miles and lifetime FSD just popped up for $26k. Tempting. Would have to drive it back from Phoenix though which is fine with me. Thinking about offering $24 and seeing what happens. Has 21" wheels I would probably try and swap for 19" though.
dallasattnyag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good deal but pre refresh performance suspension is a disaster. Budget $1500 for a suspension upgrade.
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting I'm going to ask if they have had any issues.
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guy said he replaced the blower control arms earlier this year.
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also I replaced the front suspension on my f150 by myself. Having not worked on a Tesla before, is that something I could do in my garage?
tk for tu juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kaiser von Wilhelm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tk for tu juan said:



5 million dollar roadster that no-one will ever see in real life...?
dallasattnyag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My comment on the performance suspension was re the design not just the longevity and need to repairs. It's brutally tight suspension on 2025 and before models, undriveable IMO. Theres many discussions on Tesla specific forums of options to address and would suggest you visit those for detailed info rather than a general Texags's discussion of Tesla.
JAW3336
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a 23 MYP and had 0 issies with handling and suspension. It was performance tuned for sure.
Attack life, It's going to kill you anyway!
Scan Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ordered a Model Y Premium last weekend, have it set to pickup at the Gigafactory in two weeks! Couldn't be more excited, I've been jones-ing for one for years now, had a hard time pulling the trigger. Riding in a friend's Model Y with FSD a few weeks ago sealed it.

This is a long thread, I'm sure there are some great suggestions on must have accessories but there's no way I can get through it (I tried)… outside of a screen protector and floor mats (both ordered), any recommendations? The guy at the Tesla store suggested getting a swivel adapter for the screen but I'm not sure I need it.

Thanks!
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Of a swivel adapter for the screen means it tilts towards the driver I think it would be worth it. Having the screen angled towards the driver in our MX is wonderful and it has felt very weird every time I've driven a Tesla without the screen angled towards the driver.
Imsodopey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A wireless charge port cover is inexpensive and protects felt port. Hardly ever charge on port, but leave sun glasses on it for convenience.
File5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't have swivel screen and haven't felt a desire. There are some nifty looking storage thingies that go behind the screen. A console cover lid cover would be good. Screens for the air inlets below the seats. Splashguards. The trash can one looks good. We have an iPhone mount that comes off driver door handle that is pretty sturdy. We also have an organizer to use the space in the front box a little better. Otherwise I think we're pretty vanilla with ours...
chap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love the swivel screen. Kind of surprised the Tesla guy recommended it. I figured Tesla's official position would be to not modify that.
FIDO*98*
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Speed said:

Of a swivel adapter for the screen means it tilts towards the driver I think it would be worth it. Having the screen angled towards the driver in our MX is wonderful and it has felt very weird every time I've driven a Tesla without the screen angled towards the driver.


After driving my Model S, if I were to get a Y Performance tomorrow I'd immediately get the swivel screen adapter and the heads up display (I think Tesstudio has the best looking one that integrates into the dash). I'd probably even spring for a steering yoke and lose the wheel. Since I'd be replacing the wheel anyway I'd go ahead and get the aftermarket turn signal/shift stalk kit too.
Kaiser von Wilhelm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FIDO*98* said:

Sea Speed said:

Of a swivel adapter for the screen means it tilts towards the driver I think it would be worth it. Having the screen angled towards the driver in our MX is wonderful and it has felt very weird every time I've driven a Tesla without the screen angled towards the driver.


After driving my Model S, if I were to get a Y Performance tomorrow I'd immediately get the swivel screen adapter and the heads up display (I think Tesstudio has the best looking one that integrates into the dash). I'd probably even spring for a steering yoke and lose the wheel. Since I'd be replacing the wheel anyway I'd go ahead and get the aftermarket turn signal/shift stalk kit too.


What's this refer to? Are you referring to the turn signal buttons that the 3 had for 2 years, but has since been put back? The Y has always had a shift stalk, no? Or are you referring to something different...?
Kaiser von Wilhelm
How long do you want to ignore this user?


This is what these stupid massive screens that are facing straight ahead need. So stupid how far away I have to reach to do anything on my f150 screen, and id imagine that this might be only slightly less of an issue in this case.
FIDO*98*
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This kit
Scan Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great feedback, I purchased one from the place Fido recommended.

The Tesla guy was great, he was very honest with what things I should get from Tesla and what I should grab online. He said he's installed a swivel screen in every Tesla he's owned/his family has owned.

Very excited!
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You've installed this particular one on a recent purchase? How hard is the installation and does it work well?
.
tk for tu juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?


German engineering, I guess
FIDO*98*
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hph6203 said:

You've installed this particular one on a recent purchase? How hard is the installation and does it work well?


No, I was speaking in hypothetical terms that if I were to trade my S for a Model Y performance, I would replace the steering wheel with a yoke and because I already had the steering wheel off, would go ahead and install the shifter stalk. The yoke was one of my biggest concerns when I bought my S and it has become one of the things I love best about the car.
GeorgiAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FIDO*98* said:

This kit


Thx for the link!
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When your three year old wants to help with changing a tire.

.
GeorgiAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I finally got the "front camera needs to be cleaned" message. I watched a YouTube video and it seems easy enough. I don't want to drive all the way to a dealer for this. Trim removal tools on order from Amazon.

Anyone done this and have any pointers?
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My MX tried to 4 times, and did twice, take turns on the wrong street today while en route to various destinations. Wtf. Still no v14.1 lite.
GeorgiAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Speed said:

My MX tried to 4 times, and did twice, take turns on the wrong street today while en route to various destinations. Wtf. Still no v14.1 lite.

A wrong turn you say? Must be irksome.

 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.