Houston
Sponsored by

5 HPD Officers Shot

94,774 Views | 510 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ghost91
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
also...did HPD not pay attention to the Burleson County no-knock incident 5 years ago?
jja79
AG
Can one of the lawyers tell me if the other cops at the scene are subject to the law of parties which has sent a number of Texans to death row for being along with someone who committed a murder.
I Am A Critic
No, they are not. Now if it can be proven that the other officers knew it was a bad warrant...
jja79
AG
Does anyone believe other cops didn't know the warrant was bad? They knew they were riding with a criminal.
Diggity
AG
well if that could be proven, they might have a case. Don't see it happening though.

You would have to prove they intended to kill the victims from the get go.
swimmerbabe11
I don't know that is quite accurate. In normal criminal law, if a person is part of an armed robbery, but just a getaway driver..and the main guy in the robbery shoots the victim, the get away driver is just as culpable for murder. Intent doesn't matter there..
Diggity
AG

Quote:

In Texas capital cases, a person may be convicted under the law of parties, but may not be sentenced to death if convicted under the law of parties unless the sentencing jury finds beyond a reasonable doubt that "the defendant actually caused the death of the deceased or did not actually cause the death of the deceased but intended to kill the deceased or another or anticipated that a human life would be taken"

Reads to me like they could get convicted, but not sentenced to death unless it was proven that they anticipated a life would be taken. That's a pretty tough thing to prove, which is why you don't see a lot of accomplices sentenced to death under "law of parties"
Ag_07
AG
jja79 said:

Does anyone believe other cops didn't know the warrant was bad? They knew they were riding with a criminal.

I don't necessarily think they knew.

IIRC from watching endless episodes of COPS a lot times the warrant execution team isn't strictly made of the ones conducting the investigation. For all they knew they had a warrant that was signed and ready to be executed.

How would they have known there was no CI and that all the info in the warrant was true or not?
IrishTxAggie
AG
In theory couldn't the judge that signed off on the warrant be held accountable too? I suspect that as long as the officers serving the warrant weren't party to the falsification methods to obtain the warrant, they'd be safe. Slippery slope if the cops serving the warrant are charged after essentially being duped into serving what they were presented with as a lawful warrant.
jja79
AG
This is just my opinion but it seems like the police community is pretty close. As notorious as this guy was I have a hard time believing other cops didn't know he was a criminal. I just asked the law of parties question because it has trapped more than one person over time.
Diggity
AG
hearing rumors that a guy might be crooked and knowing he lied to get the warrant are two very different things.

Diggity
AG
yeah, it would be a very tough thing to prove, assuming the DA would even want to pursue such a thing.
YellAg2004
AG
Part of me wants to accept that the other officers had no idea that the warrant was falsified and was BS. But part of me knows that in real life, you know the people you work with. You know who the trustworthy guys are and who the a-holes are that will screw you over. If the rest of the team was really comprised of just random officers that were pulled together because they were available, that seems like a really inefficient and dangerous way to put a group together that will be executing such high-risk operations.

As with most things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I'm sure the other officers knew the lead officer was a POS, but didn't suspect that he would stoop to this level for such a small-time bust. When the SHTF, they're all left looking back now and asking themselves why they didn't question things more.

The part that is really crap though is that if regular citizens acted with such willful negligence, they would all be getting toasted and the courts would have to figure out who would take the fall (if not all of them). But since they're behind a badge, the wagons will get circled and the penalties will be much less severe. And the two people that were killed in their home are still just as dead.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Quote:

As with most things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I'm sure the other officers knew the lead officer was a POS, but didn't suspect that he would stoop to this level for such a small-time bust.

This is what I suspect too and I assume the POS had the ok from a lieutenant to get the warrant, so the warrant executors likely thought it to be on the up-and-up.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah they are close but at the same time I imagine these guys know they have a job to do and trust that the higher ups and the judge signing the warrant give it some vailidity.

This wasn't this guy going off on his own nudging them saying 'Hey come with me I've got something for you to do'. They had a signed search warrant.

I don't really blame the other cops unless of course they were all involved in the entire investigation.

The question I have is why would this rogue cop target this couple? What was the motivation for falsifying the warrant?

Someone mentioned it earlier but this literally real life Training Day.
Diggity
AG
Ag_07 said:

The question I have is why would this rogue cop target this couple? What was the motivation for falsifying the warrant?
It makes no sense. What end result was the cop hoping for?

Best case scenario, they do the bust with no issues and find out the couple has small amounts of personal use drugs.

Was he planning on planting **** and then things went sideways?
IrishTxAggie
AG
There's got to be something personal here somewhere.
bigjag19
AG
Diggity said:

Ag_07 said:

Best case scenario, they do the bust with no issues and find out the couple has small amounts of personal use drugs.

He had bags of unmarked heroin, so yes.
Aggie09Derek
AG
bigjag19 said:

Diggity said:

Ag_07 said:

Where was that reported?
schmellba99
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

bigjag19 said:

Diggity said:

Ag_07 said:

Where was that reported?
Dude, it's been linked in this thread already. He had at least 2 bags of uncontrolled and unlogged heroin in his glove box - that's so far outside the lines of protocol it's silly.
ccolley68
AG
Wouldn't the law of parties here be a bit different because a law enforcement department is like a military operation, and the officers executing the warrant are following orders from a higher up, regardless of what they do or don't know of the warrant or officer? Makes me think of A Few Good Men, where the private's killed a guy, but it was an accident and on an order from a commanding officer.

Rank and file criminals going for an armed robbery is much different from a coordinated LE operation. Rank in an operation like a police force means more pay, but with that comes more responsibility, and one of those responsibilities is making sure **** like this doesn't happen.
Aggie09Derek
AG
guess I haven't read every post.
Breggy Popup
AG
ccolley68 said:

Wouldn't the law of parties here be a bit different because a law enforcement department is like a military operation, and the officers executing the warrant are following orders from a higher up, regardless of what they do or don't know of the warrant or officer? Makes me think of A Few Good Men, where the private's killed a guy, but it was an accident and on an order from a commanding officer.

Rank and file criminals going for an armed robbery is much different from a coordinated LE operation. Rank in an operation like a police force means more pay, but with that comes more responsibility, and one of those responsibilities is making sure **** like this doesn't happen.

The Nuremburg defense wasn't valid in 1946 and it isn't valid now.

It is a culpability issue. Intentionally, knowingly, recklessly or with criminal negligence. If any of those apply then charges should come forthwith.
jpd301
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Where was that reported?

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Houston-police-shooting-affidavit-confidential-13620120.php

Houston Chronicle said:

Bryant told investigators he had retrieved two bags of heroin from the center console of Goines' police car at the instruction of another officer. That was not consistent with the affidavit used to obtain the warrant for the Jan. 28 raid, which said Bryant identified heroin brought out of the house. Though he took the two bags of drugs for testing to determine that they were heroin, Bryant eventually said he had never seen the narcotics in question before retrieving them from the car.
Mas89
AG
I smell a rat. No way any city police department should do a no knock, beat in the door search without the chief of police directly reviewing the warrant and evidence first. Just how many of these no know searches did hpd do a year anyway??? The buck stops with Art. Adios mo fo.
Hpd hasn't had a case go this bad since the Robert Angleton saga in 97 where the vice cops were on the take and let the murderer go.
BowSowy
AG
Mas89 said:

I smell a rat. No way any city police department should do a no knock, beat in the door search without the chief of police directly reviewing the warrant and evidence first. Just how many of these no know searches did hpd do a year anyway??? The buck stops with Art. Adios mo fo.
Hpd hasn't had a case go this bad since the Robert Angleton saga in 97 where the vice cops were on the take and let the murderer go.

Acevedo isn't catching the heat for this, nor is anyone else but officer Goines. Acevedo promised no more no-knock raids. And all the stories coming out are about how Goines ****ed up past investigations. The fall man has been establish and the public has been satisfied. This will go away quickly and nothing will change.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
i wonder if it is going to change now knowing a black officer lied that left white people dead.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

i wonder if it is going to change now knowing a black officer lied that left white people dead.

Goines is black?
lne2011
AG
Yes.
Boo Weekley
BowSowy said:

Mas89 said:

Acevedo isn't catching the heat for this, nor is anyone else but officer Goines. Acevedo promised no more no-knock raids. And all the stories coming out are about how Goines ****ed up past investigations. The fall man has been establish and the public has been satisfied. This will go away quickly and nothing will change.
Except dumbass Acevedo ending no-knock's which DO serve a legitimate purpose. Just because some POS cops effed it up, doesn't mean you take it away completely...you work to fix it. But Art is a slimy liberal politician.
Boo Weekley

I am taking tomorrow off work to riot and vandalize property in my neighborhood bc we must get justice.

Bondag
AG
White Lives Matter!
Liquid Wrench
Aggie09Derek said:

Goines is black?
Yes. There was a picture of him on a stretcher from the time he murdered someone in a road rage incident that he lied about.
lunchbox
IrishTxAggie
AG
Turner and Acevedo are currently reviewing their liability insurance policies for the city right now...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.