Houston
Sponsored by

5 HPD Officers Shot

94,717 Views | 510 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ghost91
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of the comments on YouTube noted that the fence and cameras appear to be recently installed, as they are not visible in the July 2018 imagery. That is something...
tylercsbn9
AG
I'm going to predict an Acevedo resignation in the near future
Gator92
AG
Part of search warrant released.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/HPD-Chief-Art-Acevedo-releases-portion-of-search-13574924.php

Seems they used a confidential informant for the buy. Had been reported earlier that an undercover officer had made the buy.
htxag09
AG
Might want to update your facts....
BowSowy
AG
The arrest warrant describes the house and the nearby streets which match the Harding house.
Gator92
AG

4:15 Acevedo clearly says Hardy St. Repeats it several times.
AgLiving06
My guess is the CI is currently being heavily interrogated because this whole bust doesn't look good at all.
98Ag99Grad
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

I'm going to predict an Acevedo resignation in the near future

Best case scenario out of this.
Pahdz
in, this is fascinating, and i'm long distance so i'm depending on you guys to update me
98Ag99Grad
AG
Confirmed it was a no-knock warrant.
Ag_07
AG
Pahdz said:

i'm long distance so i'm depending on you guys to update me

Then don't count on accurate info.
Pahdz
good point, but my computer gets AIDS when I go to any Houston news site, they all suck
Post removed:
by user
DannyDuberstein
AG
JayAggie said:

Let's all be honest for a moment.

• FACT: A neighbor called in to complain about this location
  • FACT: undercover bought heroin from location
  • FACT: Officers announced who they were, sirens were on (noise and lights)

OPINION: I'll admit when suspects were shown I was surprised they were white because of the location. If this had happened on Hardy St, wouldn't have surprised me, but you don't see too many white people near Harding St. I think this is why people are "confused" by the events for a lack of a better term.

OPINION: You don't generally see neighbors defending the suspects in the manor of which they are, you also don't see family apologizing to cops that killed their relatives. All makes the situation more intriguing.

Not a fact
htxag09
AG
For the record, it appears two of those facts aren't facts.
MAROON
AG
I know the judge who signed the warrant. I'm sure he signs lots of these. I also know he has to be extremely upset by the results of the search. He is a very good man.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Two points...

1) As for Arts comments during the original presser... I've listened several times and yeah, I can hear "Hardy" but I can also hear "Harding." Call it accent, dialect, pronunciation... I'm not going to read much into it.

2) As for the officers announcing with lights and sirens outside. Channel 2 showed an eyewitnesses cell phone video. This was shot by the woman reported to be on her way home from the gym and that had a wounded officer in her personal car until medics arrived on scene. In the video she makes comments to the effect of "omg there's an officer down" and THEN you hear sirens wailing. That outside queue up of lights and sirens was most certainly AFTER they busted in the door!
AGHouston11
AG
So only one "fact" is still standing - a call from a neighbor
But that one even seems questionable.

One thing is a fact: the police chief was grand standing and his comments had no relevance to the actual events. You would have thought he was speaking about an attack on police like in Dallas.
MAS444
AG
If it's true that there were no body cams, has there been any explanation for why not? Isn't that pretty much SOP?
aggiedent
AG
So most of the so called facts of the situation are in fact false. Perhaps the facts will change some more as time goes on, we shall see.

As it stands now, it would appear that this was an ill-conceived operation, that was based on shaky evidence, and put police officers and citizens (possibly innocent) lives at risk. Compounded by less than 100% truthful comments by the higher-ups in the department.
Ag_07
AG
I'm gonna hold off on railing on Art for incorrect info he gave when briefing the media for the first time just a couple hours after this went down.

I can't imagine how hectic and chaotic it must be for a police chief during an incident like this.

Now if they keep putting out false info then that's fishy, but I can see how info pouring in at the time isn't completely accurate.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
What were his incorrect facts?
MAROON
AG
my deal with Art is that he is the SJL of law enforcement. Always looking for a camera. He was very unpopular in Austin, so I was a little on guard when they announced he was coming to Houston. He has done nothing to make me think the good folks of Austin had the wrong impression of him.

Finally, he is way too political for my taste. His almost immediate decision to turn this into a second amendment issue is sickening. He also is always outspoken about any move by the President to strengthen border security. Guy wants to run for higher office and is using his position as a bully pulpit.

This raid was a supreme f-up on his watch. He will survive, but I imagine there are some supervisors in the department that will have their careers ruined over this.
Ag_07
AG
Ah stuff like saying it was a semi-auto handgun fire when it was actually a revolver, saying it was no knock but their presence was announced with sirens prior to entry, saying it was an undercover buy rather than an CI.
RK
AG
nm
AGHouston11
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'm gonna hold off on railing on Art for incorrect info he gave when briefing the media for the first time just a couple hours after this went down.

I can't imagine how hectic and chaotic it must be for a police chief during an incident like this.

Now if they keep putting out false info then that's fishy, but I can see how info pouring in at the time isn't completely accurate.

That's his job!

Also he had the ability to have the most accurate up to date information on the situation than anyone BEFORE he opened up his mouth in a public address.
f burg ag
AG
Has anyone discussed the gun fight itself? It was reported that Tuttle came from the back of the house with a 357 firing on the police after his dog and wife had been shot. 357s are typically 5 or 6 shot revolvers. 4 cops were shot and one was shot 3 times. So Tuttle would have to be a perfect shot (no way he had time to reload) all while he is being fired on by anywhere from 5 to 15 LEOs. No way in hell. And if this was playing out in the house, why are there a bunch of entry bullet holes on the outside of the house. Seems like a lot went wrong.....
AGHouston11
AG
Ag_07 said:

Ah stuff like saying it was a semi-auto handgun fire when it was actually a revolver, saying it was no knock but their presence was announced with sirens prior to entry, saying it was an undercover buy rather than an CI.

Exactly- he had a six shot revolver.

Did you see the many bullet holes fired into the house to the right of the door? What were they firing at?
Al Bula
AG
I've seen this movie before.

MAROON
AG
f burg ag said:

Has anyone discussed the gun fight itself? It was reported that Tuttle came from the back of the house with a 357 firing on the police after his dog and wife had been shot. 357s are typically 5 or 6 shot revolvers. 4 cops were shot and one was shot 3 times. So Tuttle would have to be a perfect shot (no way he had time to reload) all while he is being fired on by anywhere from 5 to 15 LEOs. No way in hell. And if this was playing out in the house, why are there a bunch of entry bullet holes on the outside of the house. Seems like a lot went wrong.....
will be interesting to see if any were hit by friendly fire.
schmellba99
AG
IDAGG said:

aggiedent said:

Quote:

This was NOT a no knock raid. They announced their presence and turned on sirens while entering the house.

And immediately fired the first gun shot into the house (at the Pitbull that attacked him) at the dog that did what a dog is supposed to do - defend his territory and his pack/family.

I don't know about you, but if someone claiming to be the police busts in my door and immediately starts shooting, I really think I'd go into defensive mode myself.

The whole story is just not adding up. I think something is way off base.
FIFY
There, that's better.
I Am A Critic
f burg ag said:

The revolver wasn't the only weapon recovered at the scene. Sounds like he used a shotgun as well. There may have been 15 LEOs there but they weren't all shooting. This happened in the doorway/living room of a small home. Think of a small funnel where LEOs are trying to return fire and pull others to safety at the same time. That's a lot of body mass in a small space which makes for a pretty easy target. LEOs aren't going to go shooting blindly at a home hoping they hit something so there were probably just a handful in a position to engage Tuttle. But hey, don't let logic interfere with the witch hunt you fine folks have going on.
Robert C. Christian
AG
f burg ag said:

Was 1 officer shot 3 times? I know it was reported that this was the third time one of the officers had been shot but, did one take 3 bullets?
Waltonloads08
AG
"LEOs aren't going to go shooting blindly at a home hoping they hit something"

People do dumb stuff under duress that they normally know they shouldn't do.
BigAggie06
AG
JayAggie said:

Let's all be honest for a moment.

• FACT: A neighbor called in to complain about this location
  • FACT: undercover bought heroin from location
  • FACT: Officers announced who they were, sirens were on (noise and lights)

OPINION: I'll admit when suspects were shown I was surprised they were white because of the location. If this had happened on Hardy St, wouldn't have surprised me, but you don't see too many white people near Harding St. I think this is why people are "confused" by the events for a lack of a better term.

OPINION: You don't generally see neighbors defending the suspects in the manor of which they are, you also don't see family apologizing to cops that killed their relatives. All makes the situation more intriguing.

FACT: Neighbors have stated that the couple/house didn't seem like a dealer location (low traffic, etc.)
FACT: Police Claim an undercover bought herion from location (I think the warrant shows it wasn't a police officer though) but no heroin was found
FACT: Officers "announced" and turned on their sirens as they were breaching the door.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.