Houston
Sponsored by

5 HPD Officers Shot

94,700 Views | 510 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ghost91
Jackal99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Personally, I think I would reasonably wet myself.

Go on...
lunchbox
Jackal99
AG
Officer Goines is not gonna have a good weekend, I feel.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Absolute scum. I hope they throw the book at this guy and heads roll. Buzbee just got his election platform gift wrapped for him.
Liquid Wrench
This is 7 kinds of ****ed up.
Mr.Ackar07
Jackal99 said:

More like Officer not Goines anywhere but jail. Amiright?
Jackal99
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Jackal99 said:

And there is the pun I was trying to come up with. Hat tip, my good man.
aggiepublius
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Jackal99 said:

Appears he is still in the hospital.

Quote:

Goines has been with HPD for 34 years. HPD Chief Art Acevedo says when he is released from the hospital after the latest shooting, he will be relieved of duty.

Source: https://abc13.com/hpd-officer-relieved-of-duty-after-raid-shot-twice-before/5141523/
Scientific
AG
Camo said:

I am just going to say it......

imagine this story but the suspected "drug dealers" are, and bare with me here........ African American

the country would implode
JayAggie said:

Let's all be honest for a moment.
OPINION: I'll admit when suspects were shown I was surprised they were white because of the location. If this had happened on Hardy St, wouldn't have surprised me, but you don't see too many white people near Harding St. I think this is why people are "confused" by the events for a lack of a better term.

Putting SJW reaction aside, assuming they were brown or black? Would people have doubted the police?

Acvedo spinning this into an anti cop narrative immediately after shows that the department knew that had a cluster in their hands.
Liquid Wrench
This is tragic and we have a right to know what happened.
aggiepublius
AG
Wow - more things that just make this all look really bad. Officer Goines has been shot twice before. And in at least one of the shootings the story seems to have changed later.

https://abc13.com/hpd-officer-at-center-of-controversial-raid-shot-twice-before/5141523/

Quote:

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --
The Houston police officer at the center of the botched drug raid has been shot twice before. The facts of one of those shootings changed dramatically in the days after it.

Senior Officer Gerald Goines, 54, was shot in 1992 and 1997.

In 1992, Houston police said Goines had just completed a narcotics transaction when he stopped to urinate on a tree. The homeowner, who was worried about burglars, walked outside and spoke to Goines. Moments later, police said at the time, he returned with a pistol. Goines was shot in the jaw.

In 1997, what was first believed to be a narcotics bust turned out to be a deadly case of road rage on the Southwest Freeway, according to police. Days after the shooting that left Goines injured and another man, Reginald Dorsey, dead, police said the two were competing for space on the freeway. Dorsey pulled out a gun. Both men fired. Goines was shot in the arm and abdomen.

Goines has been with HPD for 34 years. HPD Chief Art Acevedo says when he is released from the hospital after the latest shooting, he will be relieved of duty.
BowSowy
AG
HtownAg92 said:

MAS444 said:

"Contributory negligence..."
Yes, contrib. "Negligence": "the failure to do that which a person of ordinary prudence would have done under the same or similar circumstances, or doing that which a person of ordinary prudence would not have done under the same or similar circumstances."

Like, for instance, the failure to put your hands up where a bunch of cops can see them when they bust through your door, even if wrongfully. Or, another example off the top of my head, pulling a gun and aiming and shooting at a bunch of cops who probably announced as police, had shiny blue jackets that said "police" on them, had shiny gold badges, were aiming weapons and who had you greatly outnumbered. Even if you did nothing wrong and were pissed at your broken door, a person of ordinary prudence isn't going to get in a gun battle with the cops.
Correct me if I'm wrong on the events here. But from what I understand happened at the start of this ordeal: police kicked in the door, the dog reacted (like all dogs would), and the dog was shot. If someone kicked in your door and shot your dog, how would you react? Even if they yelled "Police" would your first thought be to trust someone in plain clothes who just did that?

And why is the burden placed on the homeowner in this situation? The police should've had ample time to investigate the situation and determine the the best course of action. The homeowner (who, it appears didn't commit the crimes to warrant this search) was immediately placed into a fight or flight situation.
aggiepublius
AG
Much much longer story on the officer's background here.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-police-officer-in-drug-raid-had-previous-13621276.php
HtownAg92
AG
BowSowy said:

HtownAg92 said:

MAS444 said:

Yes, contrib. "Negligence": "the failure to do that which a person of ordinary prudence would have done under the same or similar circumstances, or doing that which a person of ordinary prudence would not have done under the same or similar circumstances."

Like, for instance, the failure to put your hands up where a bunch of cops can see them when they bust through your door, even if wrongfully. Or, another example off the top of my head, pulling a gun and aiming and shooting at a bunch of cops who probably announced as police, had shiny blue jackets that said "police" on them, had shiny gold badges, were aiming weapons and who had you greatly outnumbered. Even if you did nothing wrong and were pissed at your broken door, a person of ordinary prudence isn't going to get in a gun battle with the cops.
Correct me if I'm wrong on the events here. But from what I understand happened at the start of this ordeal: police kicked in the door, the dog reacted (like all dogs would), and the dog was shot. If someone kicked in your door and shot your dog, how would you react? Even if they yelled "Police" would your first thought be to trust someone in plain clothes who just did that?

And why is the burden placed on the homeowner in this situation? The police should've had ample time to investigate the situation and determine the the best course of action. The homeowner (who, it appears didn't commit the crimes to warrant this search) was immediately placed into a fight or flight situation.
Did they go in plain clothes? I don't know that I ever read that. That would be pretty stupid on the cops' part.
IrishTxAggie
AG
HtownAg92 said:

BowSowy said:

HtownAg92 said:

MAS444 said:

Did they go in plain clothes? I don't know that I ever read that. That would be pretty stupid on the cops' part.

They were plain clothes cops, but the had "Police" "HPD" labels on the bullet proof vests. Granted, I wouldn't trust that still considering you can buy it all on eBay.
BowSowy
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

HtownAg92 said:

BowSowy said:

HtownAg92 said:

MAS444 said:

They were plain clothes cops, but the had "Police" "HPD" labels on the bullet proof vests. Granted, I wouldn't trust that still considering you can buy it all on eBay.

I thought I read those labels were on their backs?
IrishTxAggie
AG
May have been, I just read that they had them. I'm not sure on whether or not they were front or back facing.
schmellba99
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

May have been, I just read that they had them. I'm not sure on whether or not they were front or back facing.

They may have had them on somewhere, but in that situation that is nothing more than checking a procedural box to prevent the possibility of a case being tossed on a minor technicality. Same as the ploice "announcing" themselves as the battering ram hits the door simultaneously.

Sure, they announced themselves, but only because the law forces them to.

The moron that posted about what normal people would do - a normal person doesnt sit there when their door is suddenly broke in, their dog and then their wife is shot. I can tell you with 100% certainty that i am sending as many rounds at the bad guys as time allows if that happens to me. DGAF if they announce they are police or not - because anybody can do that.

The HPD FUBAR'd this up beyond recognition. They could have handled this way different but instead decided to swing their dick around because,they wanted to play Army, and I hope the decision makers pay dearly for it. Because this is the epitome of abuse of authority and excess force.
AgLA06
AG
schmellba99 said:

The HPD FUBAR'd this up beyond recognition.

Department of redundancy department.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
It will be interesting to watch the HPOU twist themselves into pretzels with this one
I Am A Critic
HFD wanting more pay doesn't look so bad next to this.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
[No it is not - STAFF]
schmellba99
AG
AgLA06 said:

schmellba99 said:

The HPD FUBAR'd this up beyond recognition.

Department of redundancy department.
It is on the same level of "strenuously objecting" in court, like in A Few Good Men.
trip
AG
schmellba99 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

They may have had them on somewhere, but in that situation that is nothing more than checking a procedural box to prevent the possibility of a case being tossed on a minor technicality. Same as the ploice "announcing" themselves as the battering ram hits the door simultaneously.

Sure, they announced themselves, but only because the law forces them to.

The moron that posted about what normal people would do - a normal person doesnt sit there when their door is suddenly broke in, their dog and then their wife is shot. I can tell you with 100% certainty that i am sending as many rounds at the bad guys as time allows if that happens to me. DGAF if they announce they are police or not - because anybody can do that.

The HPD FUBAR'd this up beyond recognition. They could have handled this way different but instead decided to swing their dick around because,they wanted to play Army, and I hope the decision makers pay dearly for it. Because this is the epitome of abuse of authority and excess force.
I have heard there was very little discipline as the approached. Basically they walked up with no urgency and in plan site. They have also hit multiple houses on that street this year. Add that all together and the people in the house had time to get ready regardless if it was a no knock situation.
. . .
Quote:

Buzbee calls on Mayor to seek Chief Acevedo's resignation

"In the Marines when there is a colossal screwup, accountability starts at the top. This mayor hired the chief, he now needs to ask him to resign.

"The controversy stems from a botched shootout that left a couple in their late 50s, married more than two decades, and their dog, dead. An internal investigation has already revealed that the narcotic case agent, who obtained the warrant for the 'no-knock' entry, lied about the activity underlying the warrant, and at least one other officer attempted to cover up that lie.

"It is also now known that this narcotic case agent, Gerald Goines, was already facing accusations of fabrication, even before the botched operation. According to the Houston Chronicle: 'Goines is currently accused of fabricating a drug deal, then lying about it in court to win a conviction against a man who has long maintained his innocence.'

"For a moment, put aside the chief's duty to the citizens of Houston to protect them and to have systems in place to ferret out those rare bad cops; consider the morale of the 99 percent of Houston police officers who are out on the streets honestly doing the right thing, every day. They work hard, put their lives on the line, and face constant scrutiny by the public. They put their trust in the police chief to do his job and protect their reputation as a police force. He failed them, and all of us.

"The mayor needs to make sure this city stands behind its police force, but at the same time will deal harshly with a bad cop who lies to obtain a warrant, resulting in the death of two citizens and the shooting of other police. This mayor needs to seek the chief's resignation, now. There are a lot of good police he can choose from to fill the position, because hiring from within is always betterin my view. I'll also say I am confident that the rank and file police officers are just as disgusted by what happened as the citizens of Houston are. I'm also confident that the police will work, or are likely already working with outside authorities to ensure a thorough investigation is done not only in this case, but in all cases in which any bad cops were involved."
W
AG
yep, Turner and Acevedo are giving Buzbee so much stuff to run on (or run against)
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
IrishTxAggie
AG
dshedd41 said:

Too little, too late. Time for that dumbass to go.
Bondag
AG
That is stupid logic. You don't make decisions based on one outcome. You make decisions based on the probable outcome of each situation.

Was there any reason for a no knock raid in this case? No.

Does that mean there never will be a reason for a no knock raid ever again?
MAROON
AG
Bondag said:

That is stupid logic. You don't make decisions based on one outcome. You make decisions based on the probable outcome of each situation.

Art is first and foremost a politician, he's not a lawman. Houston got duped into taking Austin's leftovers. Hell those crazy leftists hated the guy - and he's a leftist!
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Boo Weekley
dshedd41 said:

I had a feeling they'd go this far with it. No-knock raids do have their place IMO, but that is assuming you have at least semi-competent and clean law enforcement in place...as someone mentioned elsewhere, if you are doing a bust on Mexican mafia or cartel guys with heavy surveillance at their dope house, you don't want your officers to have to announce themselves only to be sitting ducks for hardened criminals that would rather kill or die before going back to prison.

I hope HPD doesn't over-compensate in the wrong direction because they're trying to save face after this incident.
Boo Weekley
Bondag said:

EXACTLY. Classic "politician" move here. There will always be a reason for no knock raids.
Caliber
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Bondag said:

EXACTLY. Classic "politician" move here. There will always be a reason for no knock raids.
While there will always be a reason for no knock raids, they should be the exception, not a normal operating procedure. A warrant for one should be difficult to obtain and not just rubber stamped.

The amount of no-knock raids does need to be greatly curtailed. Then, if the situation truly warrants a no-knock raid, should be done with some sort of team that maybe uses Specialized Weapons And Tactics.
Mr07Ag
AG
Chron reported that he said they would end no knock raids in "most situations". They aren't going away completely.
W
AG
no-knock warrants in residential neighborhoods...where the houses are close together and constructed with wood siding...are a very bad idea. Lots of potential for collateral damage when the wild west shootout begins

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.